· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 10/3/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Feb 15, 2006 

WEEKEND RECAP 10/3/05

HURRICANE KATRINA BENEFIT @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 9/29/05

It was month to the day that Hurricane Katrina arrived on the Gulf Coast and ravaged parts of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. This night, City Limits was hosting a benefit concert to help out with Katrina relief efforts, with the proceeds going the American Red Cross Disaster Services.

Early in the event, acoustic performers took the spotlight in City Limits' back bar area, starting with Matt Burns. Matt opened the evening with a mixture of acoustic classic and more recent rock favorites, offered up with his own unique style, wit and sense of humor. Matt's set included some interesting and unexpected tunes, such as Van Morrison's "Moondance," Corey Hart's "Sunglasses at Night," the Proclaimers' "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)," Ides Of March's "Vehicle," Warren Zevon's "Lawyers Guns and Money," Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Under the Bridge" and more. The big highlight of Matt's set for me, though, was his 'commercial break,' as he performed the Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" song, this time honoring the inventor of the taco salad. Excellent!

Matt Burns kicks off the evening at City Limits.

Next up was another acoustic performer, Travis Singer. Travis played a brief set showcasing select classic 90's favorites and originals. Travis opened with one of his own, "What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding," and continued with songs from Oasis, Phish, Incubus, the Band and more; also a song I hadn't ever heard covered on area stages, Better Than Ezra's "Desperately Wanting."

Travis Singer.

Once Travis finished, the attention shifted from the back bar stage to City Limits' mainstage, where Bedford's Under One was making their Altoona debut. Singer/guitarist Dustin Reisling, lead guitarist Brad Barnes, bassist Alex Dierling and drummer Brandon Long played a set of hard-hitting favorites from Green Day, White Stripes, Eve 6, Stone Temple Pilots, AC/DC, The Darkness, Silverchair and more. Under One came out the gates a little stiff and timid, but gained momentum and confidence as they went along. Dustin displayed some good, rangeful voice. Instrumentally, the group was a little rough this night and showed some room for tightening up - something more practice and stage time should resolve.

Dustin Reisling of Under One.

Alex Dierling and Brad Barnes of Under One.

Under One.

Once again, Under One.

Attention then shifted back to the rear of the room for another acoustic act, the duo of Gin & Juice frontman/guitarist Dustin Burley and former Saucemonster/In drummer Rob Bonsell. These two performed a blend of Dustin's original songs and 90's numbers from Social Distortion, Oasis, Stone Temple Pilots and more. Dustin's sturdy vocals and guitar playing were backed by the low-key but crisp beats from Rob, making for an edgy acoustic display that held the audience attentive for its duration.

Half of the duo, Dustin Burley.

The other half of the duo, Rob Bonsell.

Rob Bonsell and Dustin Burley.

Another acoustic duo then stepped in afterward, Adam & Rory. Adam played conga, Rory sang and played the acoustic guitar. Together, these two entertained the growing City Limits crowd with a varied mixture of classic and current rock favorites. The pair picked some interesting songs, starting with a freewheeling medley that tied together Blink 182's "Dammit," Bob Marley's "No Woman No Cry" and more; also David Bowie's "Space Oddity," Peter Paul & Mary's "Leaving On A Jet Plane," Sugar Ray's "Fly," Prince's "When Doves Cry" and more. Adam was one of the benefit's organizers, and this duo had a fan base in the house, judging by the excited rounds of applause they received.

Half of the duo, Adam, on congas.

The other half of the duo, Rory.

Adam and Rory, entertaining the crowd at City Limits.

Next, the attention focused back to the mainstage for Gin & Juice. The group announced at the offset that they were in the process of changing their name, and that an official new name would be announced shortly. (The group tentatively decided on The Kind this night, but would retract that name in the following days.) Gin & Juice fired up the City Limits dance floor with their blend of jam-geared rock, including Grateful Dead classics like their opener "Shakedown Street" and “Mr. Charlie,” Phish tunes such as “Free” and their take on Ween’s “Roses Are Free.” Gin & Juice’s grooves were energetic and constant; and quickly had folks on City Limits’ dance floor. Gin & Juice nicely escalated the energy level of the evening as the audience continued to grow; and set the stage for the final group of the night, In.

Travis Dunn of Gin & Juice.

Gin & Juice get the fans grooving at the Hurricane Katrina benefit.

Brian Pavlic of Gin & Juice.

Once again, Gin & Juice.

During the intermission between bands, a small drum circle gathering took place in the rear bar area, which captivated a number of fans until In was ready to begin.

Several percussion enthusiasts try their hands on the congas.

In eventually stepped onto the main stage to close out the night. The group immediately reignited action on City Limits’ dance floor as they mixed uptempo current and classic rock favorites. Green Day’s “Holiday,” Toadies’ “Possum Kingdom,” Violent Femmes’ “Blister In The Sun” and Big & Rich’s “Save A Horse, Ride a Cowboy” kicked the party into high gear, before singer Greg Locke welcomed one of the show organizers, Tabatha, onstage to give away door and raffle prizes. Greg, guitarist Matt Day, bassist Adam Zimmer and drummer Josh Hetrick continued with tunes from Good Charlotte, Tom Petty, Cheap Trick, Danzig, Living Colour, Sweet, Rage Against the Machine, Marilyn Manson and more.

Josh Hetrick of In.

Matt Day of In.

Again, Matt Day of In.

Matt Day and Greg Locke of In.

Greg Locke of In and show organizer Tabatha, announcing the monies raised.

Once again, Greg and Tabatha.

Adam Zimmer of In.

Greg Locke of In.

Again, Adam Zimmer of In.

In, keeping the dance floor crowd happy at the Hurricane Katrina benefit.

At night’s end, it was announced that the benefit had earned at least $1,560 for Red Cross Disaster Services, not including amounts collected in several donation jars during the night. This turned out to be a fun evening of music to raise at least a little money towards helping the victims of Katrina’s wrath. Hats off to Tabatha, Adam and the other organizers, the bands and performers, City Limits and all who attended.

CLAY BOWSER @ CRESSON AREA HERITAGE DAYS FESTIVAL, CRESSON 9/30/05

The collision of my day and night jobs provided me an opportunity to witness area country music soloist Clay Bowser, performing at the annual Cresson Heritage Days Festival. I was doing a Q94 live remote broadcast from across the street from the small parking lot where Clay was performing.

The weather was unseasonably warm for the last evening in September; I actually shed my hooded sweater, a big departure from the cold and damp conditions that prevailed when I did this remote the year before.

From across the street I observed, as Clay played a variety of country and early rock’n’roll favorites. Clay did selections from George Jones, Travis Tritt, Johnny Cash, Dion, Jerry Lee Lewis, Neal McCoy and many more. His voice was in good form, as he sang, strummed and entertained a modest varied-ages crowd near the “Hobo Supper” area. At the end of his performance, Clay closed with Jerry Lee Lewis’ “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On,” before putting down his guitar and finishing with a solo voice rendition of Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the U.S.A.,” with the audience extending rousing appreciative cheers at song’s end.

What I witnessed of Clay Bowser’s performance between my remote breaks was good; if you’re a fan of acoustic-geared country, Clay Bowser is worth checking out when you see his name around area stages.

Clay Bowser, entertaining at Cresson Heritage Days.

Two Q94 Calendar Girls and a sales rep, running afoul of the law.

The Cresson Heritage Days hobo supper.

RANDY JACKSON & FRIENDS @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 9/30/05

Following my day job duties in Cresson, I descended the mountain back to Altoona, did dinner and headed to the Hitching Post to check in with the multi-talented Randy “Jackson” Rutherford and his cast of musical friends.

I arrived at the Post as Randy – playing guitar and singing – and sax man Bob Scholl ended their first set with CCR’s “Suzie Q.”

A fairly good-sized crowd was on hand at this point of the evening. A number of musicians were in the house as well; and as the second set got under way, it quickly became apparent that these musicians weren’t just here to be observers; they were some of the “friends” joining Randy onstage this night.

Randy, Bob, and two trumpet players – Jay Arnold and Don Emery – took the stage to start the second set, kicking into Steely Dan’s “My Old School.” This same line-up continued into Joe Cocker’s “You Can Leave Your Hat On” and Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition.” Jules Bianchini of Amplified Heet fame, cheering and launching good-natured abuse upon Randy and company up to this point, then stepped up to help provide backing vocals on Sam & Dave’s “Soul Man,” before leading the assembled audience in a round of Randy Jackson worship at song’s end. Randy and the two trumpeters then launched a rendition of Herb Alpert’s “Rise,” followed by Al Stewart’s “Year of the Cat.” After another Steely Dan number, Randy Jackson and friends finished their second set with Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself.”

The music was heating up, as Randy and his guest brass section were getting their groove on, spicing up each tune with dazzling, hot musicianship. Unfortunately, a good portion of the previously assembled Hitching Post crowd was apparently there just for dinner, and a number of people had departed the venue during the second set, leaving just the hardcore music fans as the third set got under way.

Boy, did these folks miss out! Randy Jackson and friends kicked up the musical fireworks during the third set, with Randy, Bob, the trumpet section and some more guests – Matt Wagner Band drummer Lisa “Woo” Fazenbaker on congas and Backdraft’s Brian Cupples on guitar – kicking off with a Tower Of Power number, “What Is Hip.” The horn section really let it rip, and it felt like the Tower Of Power horns themselves were in the house! With Brian singing, the brassy fireworks continued with Ides Of March’s “Vehicle” and Chicago’s “Beginnings,” and a few ladies in the house began dancing along in front of the stage. Jay Arnold then sang lead as the group performed Steely Dan’s “Dirty Work,” before the musicians stepped the funk back up with Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music.” The trumpet section and Brian then stepped from the stage, leaving Randy, Bob and “Woo” to end the set with Fleetwood Mac/Santana’s “Black Magic Woman.” Demands for an encore from the fired up fans resulted in all the musicians reconvening onstage for another brassy display to end the night, Chicago’s “Make Me Smile.”

This last set kicked ass! Randy Jackson and his friends were definitely feeling it; lighting up the Hitching Post stage with a lively, enthusiastic performance. The horn section was particularly lethal, as these players took their opportunity to shine and made it count. You could tell these guys and gal were having a blast onstage, and the assembled audience fed off the energy and cheered the players on.

The moral of the story this night – when you see the name “Randy Jackson & Friends” on the marquee of the Hitching Post or any other venue, get ready for musical fireworks, and be forewarned that a feisty display like this night could indeed be in the forecast!

Randy Jackson’s guest horn section; Bob Scholl, Jay Arnold and Don Emery.

Randy Jackson.

Randy Jackson, with help from Jules Bianchini on vocals.

With Brian Cupples looking on, Randy Jackson.

Randy Jackson and friends, lighting it up at the Hitching Post.

Again, Randy Jackson and friends, lighting it up at the Hitching Post.

Once again, Randy Jackson and friends.

More musical fireworks with Randy Jackson and friends.

Lisa Fazenbaker, contributing percussion to Randy Jackson and friends’ performance.

GYPSY & THE CRAZYMOON @ VICTORY LANE SALOON, ALTOONA 9/30/05

With Randy Jackson and friends concluding their show shortly after 12:30 AM, there was still time to catch more musical happenings in the ‘Toona. So I headed a few blocks away to the Victory Lane Saloon to check in with Happy Valley blues-rockers Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

This was the first time I had seen Gypsy & the Crazymoon since the latest line-up overhaul, in which singer/keyboard lady Gypsy’s young cast of players made way for a more seasoned cast.

As I entered the Victory Lane and procured my first brew, this group was in the midst of a jam/reggae-oriented number, and a respectable crowd was on hand and dancing. It quickly became apparent that this Crazymoon line-up had their act together – guitarist Scott Bachman, bassist Kevin Share, drummer Rick Moore and harmonica player Judd Miller (the lone survivor retained from the previous incarnation) complemented Gypsy’s soulful voice and sparkling keys with a strong, muscular backdrop. Gypsy introduced the next song, Jimi Hendrix’s “Red House,” with the spotlight falling on Scott’s guitar solo fireworks and Judd’s inspired harp wailing. Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride and Joy” brought the Victory Lane owners onto the dance floor to celebrate. Gypsy then introduced an original tune, the rockabilly-flavored “Roll with Me Baby;” and continued in a slower vein with an audience member request for Muddy Waters’ “Cherry Red.” The group brought the set to a close with another blues number. The excited Victory Lane crowd voiced their desire to hear more, demanding two encores; Gypsy & the Crazymoon responded with Cream/Robert Johnson’s “Crossroads” and the Ike & Tina take on “Rock Me Baby.”

I was impressed and pleasantly surprised by Gypsy & the Crazymoon’s performance. After witnessing previous inceptions of this group – one with talented players who clashed onstage, and the other with a young and inexperienced cast – this Crazymoon line-up had their act very much together and on the money! Their rhythms were tight, their solo displays shined, and all five musicians gelled onstage into a tight, unified whole.

The Victory Lane Saloon crowd clearly enjoyed the show, cheering wildly and dancing. After the struggles the past line-ups had on area stages, it was cool to see that Gypsy finally found pieces to the puzzle that worked well together. This was easily the strongest inception of Gypsy & the Crazymoon I had seen thus far; here’s hoping this line-up keeps it together, and I look forward to taking in more performances soon!

Gypsy of Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Judd Miller of Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Again, Gypsy of Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Scott Bachman of Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Gypsy & the Crazymoon, entertaining at the Victory Lane Saloon.

Once again, Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Once again, namesake Gypsy of Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Again, Gypsy & the Crazymoon, entertaining at the Victory Lane Saloon.

FUELED BY IGNORANCE @ GLENN’S PLACE, CLAYSBURG 10/1/05

On this Saturday night, I had pretty much “been there done that” with all else happening on area stages, save for one band – Fueled By Ignorance – a band I hadn’t heard about or seen before, performing at Glenn’s Place in Claysburg.

Glenn’s Place was surprisingly jam-packed as I arrived during the group’s first set. (I later learned that there was a Claysburg-Kimmel high school football game earlier in the evening, and the post-game party headed to Glenn’s.) From Bedford, Fueled By Ignorance (FBI for short) – singer Ron Sheire, guitarist Travis Ickes, bassist Dustin Leibarger and drummer Kevin Easter – kept the packed dance floor moving with uptempo rock’n’roll past and present. The group fired off nonstop tunes from Weezer, Jet, Green Day, AC/DC, Tommy Tutone, Lynyrd Skynyrd, George Thorogood, Doors, Bloodhound Gang, Big & Rich, Kid Rock and more. The group’s energy and execution were solid, and singer Ron frequently took his act out onto the dance floor to mix it up with the happy crowd. Dustin sang lead once during this set, fronting the group on Kid Rock’s “Cowboy.”

After their intermission, FBI returned for the nightcap set, this time mixing up a more diverse offering. The group kicked off with Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs,” following with the Stones’ “Paint It Black” and Smashing Pumpkins’ “Bullet with Butterfly Wings.” A broken bass string during the latter song prompted a brief pause in the action; but the dance floor quickly heated up again when Fueled By Ignorance resumed, and fueled the party with tunes from White Stripes, Johnny Cash, a Metallica medley, a Misfits medley, Ramones, Violent Femmes, AC/DC, Alice In Chains and more. After Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing In The Name” closed out the set, the Claysburg masses quickly demanded more; FBI responded with Danzig’s “Mother” to end the night.

In all, Fueled By Ignorance gave a respectable, high-energy performance. These guys weren’t fancy or frilly, but they did bring the rock, kept it uptempo and generated excitement and enthusiasm with the happy Claysburg crowd. Judging by this night, Fueled By Ignorance is a promising Saturday night party band, whose straight-up, hard-hitting rock’n’roll will keep fans pounding the dance floor.

Kevin Easter of Fueled By Ignorance.

Fueled By Ignorance, bringing the party at Glenn’s Place.

Again, Fueled By Ignorance.

Dustin Leibarger of Fueled By Ignorance.

Ron Sheire of Fueled By Ignorance.

Again, Ron Sheire of Fueled By Ignorance.

Again, Travis Ickes of Fueled By Ignorance.

Again, Fueled By Ignorance, rocking Glenn’s Place.

Travis Ickes of Fueled By Ignorance.

The NPC gang is representing at Glenn’s Place, and enjoying Fueled By Ignorance’s party.

BURNING HOUSE @ BEDFORD FALL FOLIAGE FESTIVAL, BEDFORD 10/2/05

I was back on the fall festival tour this day, journeying to Bedford to catch the annual Bedford Fall Foliage Festival. Spanning two weekends, this festival is always good for some live music.

The initial schedule was to feature Felix & the Hurricanes and Burning House, alternating sets on the gazebo stage. However, Burning House ran into vehicular problems en route to Bedford from their home base of Reading; and the Hurricanes agreed to play their two sets early and allow Burning House to play the latter two performance slots upon their arrival.

I arrived just after the Hurricanes had finished and while Burning House was setting up. I chatted briefly with Dennie Huber, who was pulling double-duty this day; doing up balloon headgear for youngsters, and introducing the entertainment on the gazebo stage.

Formed fifteen years ago and named when the drummer’s house burned down the night of their first gig (and he still showed up and did the show!), Burning House performed a bright mixture of rock’n’roll, funk and R&B, showcasing excellent vocals and a hot horn section. The vocals belonged to Erich Cawalla, who demonstrated good lung power, range and falsetto abilities. The group featured two horn players, trumpet man Dave Geddio and sax player Stu Halsell; guitarist Mike Schwartz, bassist Doug Kauffman, keyboardist Rick Wiltrout, and drummer John Mascarini. During their first set, Burning House played tunes from Kool & the Gang, Temptations, Grand Funk Railroad, Average White Band, Dion, Chicago, Van Morrison, Righteous Brothers, Doobie Brothers, Santana and more. The horn section shined, particularly on Average White Band’s “Pick Up the Pieces” and Chicago’s “Beginnings;” and Erich displayed his stellar vocal range and power on the Righteous Brothers’ “Unchained Melody.” Along the way, the Bedford audience cheered approval and danced along; at one point, Erich singled out an elderly woman and danced with her as he sang Dion’s “Runaround Sue.”

After about a 30-minute intermission, Burning House returned for their nightcap set. This time the group started out in the Motown vein with renditions of the Temptations’ “Get Ready” and “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg.” They continued with Wilson Pickett’s “Mustang Sally,” before slowing down with Eric Clapton’s “Wonderful Tonight.” Burning House dug back into 60’s soul for Archie Bell & the Drells’ “Tighten Up,” and dabbled in blues with Robert Johnson’s “Sweet Home Chicago.” Singer Erich again showed off his high falsetto talents with a version of Eddie Holman’s “Hey There Lonely Girl.” The tempo picked up with the Beatles’ “I Saw Her Standing There,” again shifting soulful with Sly & the Family Stone’s “Dance to the Music,” before giving the horn section another workout on Chicago’s “25 or 6 to 4” to end the set. The Bedford audience wanted one more, and Burning House responded with two more songs, the Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle” segueing into Sly & the Family Stone’s “Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin).”

Burning House was a hit with the Bedford Fall Foliage Festival; their combination of impressive musicianship, Erich Cawalla’s rangeful voice and friendly personality, and varied songlist was a crowd pleaser. They’ve already been booked to return to the festival next year, and I won’t mind doing the roadtrip to Bedford to catch their show again when the opportunity presents itself.

Burning House, entertaining at the Bedford Fall Foliage Festival.

Singer Erich Cawalla of Burning House takes his performance out to the audience.

Again, Burning House.

Once again, Burning House, performing at the Bedford Fall Foliage Festival.

Erich Cawalla of Burning House.

Once again, Erich Cawalla of Burning House, performing to the crowd.

Erich Cawalla of Burning House serenades a female audience member at the Bedford Fall Foliage Festival.

One more time, Erich Cawalla of Burning House.

THE NIGHTCRAWLERS @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/2/05

After completing a late Sunday night at the workplace, I headed to Pellegrine’s to catch the latter stages of The Nightcrawlers’ show.

Unfortunately, the recent trend of light attendance continued at Pellegrine’s this night, and only a few people were seated in the band room to take in The Nightcrawlers. Among those in attendance was Underground TV co-host/diva Kathy, who volunteered to be The Nightcrawlers’ merchandise lady. Kathy took the group’s CD’s around Pellegrine’s, making her best sales pitch to sell the discs to fans.

The Nightcrawlers offered their own impressive sales pitch onstage, via their own demonstration of groove, style and musicianship. The group was kicking into Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee,” with flute/keyboard lady Aeb Byrne belting out passionate voice. Aeb. Guitarist/singer Noah Figlin, bassist Jason Ebersole and drummer Steve Arnold continued with versions of Men At work’s “Down Under” and Jane’s Addiction’s “Been Caught Stealing,” before ending the set with their signature original number “African Echo.”

The small crowd on hand cheered approval for The Nightcrawlers and their tasty sounds. This group deserved to have a much bigger audience. Sadly, the usual Pelly’s Sunday crowd wants to hear bands doing the same 10-15 Clearchannel force-fed hits. The Nightcrawlers dare to do something different, and the Pelly’s crowd decided to stay away this night. The crowd’s loss.

The Nightcrawlers soon returned for their nightcap set, kicking off with Tom Petty’s “American Girl.” The group then did another song, I believe a new original composition; before Noah and Aeb dueted on Tom Petty/Stevie Nicks’ “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around.” Aeb then sang sassy lead voice on the ‘Crawlers’ read of Nancy Sinatra’s “These Boots,” before Noah took the spotlight on the night-ending bluesy original number, “Black Hole.”

Despite the low turnout, the combination of The Nightcrawlers’ quality musical display and Kathy from The Underground’s merchandising hard-sell resulted in a number of the group’s CD’s being sold. And those who were present approved of The Nightcrawlers’ sounds, including several members of Pelly’s staff and management. Hopefully the band and Pelly’s will stay patient and diligent and continue to work on winning the finicky Sunday night minion over, one fan at a time.

Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

The Nightcrawlers, lighting up the stage at Pellegrine’s.

Again, Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

Once again, Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

Once again, The Nightcrawlers.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: