· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 4/12/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday May 26, 2004 

WEEKEND RECAP 4/12/04

LOOSE CHANGE @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 4/8/04

After spending this Thursday evening doing my monthly Pennsylvania Musician paperboy duties through the Altoona area, I settled down for some live music and brew at my last delivery stop, The Hitching Post, to check in with Bedford County classic rockers Loose Change.

With Peter C’s closed this week for vacation, a mid-sized crowd was present at The Hitching Post, including at least a few Hurricaniacs and off-duty Hurricanes drummer Bob Watters, “using up some ‘loose change.’”

Loose Change – singer/guitarist Roger Sirko, bassist Alan Walter and drummer/singer Tyke Dodson – were just finishing up their second set as I arrived; performing Alice Cooper’s “Be My Lover” and Jimi Hendrix’s “Foxey Lady.”

The trio’s last set of the night featured tunes from Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Nirvana, Gin Blossoms, Uriah Heep and more. Roger handled the lion’s share of lead vocal duties, with Tyke singing lead on the Gin Blossoms’ “Hey Jealousy.” For me, the set’s highlights included fiery versions of Uriah Heep’s “Stealin’” and Phantom Rocker & Slick’s “Men Without Shame,” with Roger demonstrating some dazzling guitar displays during each. The Hitching Post wanted to hear one more at night’s end; Loose Change responded with a version of Golden Earring’s “Twilight Zone.”

Loose Change did a respectable, workmanlike job this night, and generated a good head of steam as they fired through their set. The group was tight, together and consistent. The group’s only drawback this night was their sound system. Feedback, buzzing and humming could be heard between songs, and the mix itself sounded muddy, especially the vocals.

But in all, the Hitching Post onlookers appreciated Loose Change’s efforts this night, and the group again demonstrated their credentials as a solid, reliable rock’n’roll band.

Loose Change entertains at the Hitching Post.

Alan Walter of Loose Change.

Tyke Dodson of Loose Change.

Roger Sirko of Loose Change.

Tyke Dodson of Loose Change.

TORUP @ THE CANTINA, ALTOONA 4/9/04

Although day job duties forced a late start to my Friday night bandwatching, I eventually made my way to Altoona’s newest live music venue, The Cantina, to check out the band formerly known as Xpendable, now called Torup.

First, a little bit about The Cantina. Formerly the Steel Pier, The Cantina is a smallish facility, about the size of the Victory Lane Saloon. It’s an interesting little place; the band was set up behind a bar counter, so you could stand at stagefront and set your beer down on the counter to watch the band. On a crowded night, though, you would be watching the band through a sea of beer bottles, mugs and shot glasses. Not a bad place, although the neighborhood is a little suspect; I suggest parking along 6th Avenue (Route 764) instead of along the darker side streets and alleys.

Now continuing with the band. The post-Matt Watson Xpendable lineup of bassist Jay Herbert, guitarist Lerch and drummer Dan Kenmore have continued on as Torup (pronounced “tore up,” described by the band as the condition they want their audience to be in by the end of the night). As I arrived, the trio was bludgeoning their way through a version of Sevendust’s “Black,” with Lerch belting out the vocals. The group was having sound problems, with the monitors going AWOL as they tried to play. The group went on intermission after the song to try to diagnose and rectify the problem.

Eventually the group returned to give it another go for the night’s last set. The sound problems were still not fully resolved; during the first song, Lerch’s guitar suddenly popped out of the mud in the left speaker midway through the song. With Jay handling most of the vocal chores, Torup proceeded with tunes from Nickelback, System of a Down, Godsmack and Drowning Pool. After “Bodies,” the group wanted to surrender to the sound system maladies for the evening and call it a night; but their minion of fans would have none of it, they wanted more. So Torup wound up doing three encores, featuring two System of a Down numbers and Static X’s “Push It” to push the sound system to its limits one more time this night.

As Torup, this lineup – despite its sound snafu – gave a stronger overall performance this night than they did when I last saw them as Xpendable. Instrumentally, the group was on the same page and together. On the vocal side, Jay and Lerch did a better job this night and were at least adequate; although I still think this group would be better served by obtaining a true frontman with a decent singing voice.

For the most part, it was a rock ‘em, sock ‘em, slobberknocker night of modern metal at the Cantina. Torup weathered the sound system maladies and made the gathering of inebriated onlookers happy. By night’s end, it was unclear who wound up more “tore up” – the band, the crowd, or the sound system.

Jay Herbert of Torup.

Amidst beer and a shot, Dan Kenmore of Torup.

Lerch of Torup.

Jay Herbert of Torup.

Dan Kenmore of Torup.

Lerch of Torup.

Chell, having a chair-dancing good time.

THIRD STANDARD @ CASTLE PUB, EBENSBURG 4/10/04

The eve before Easter provided an interesting setting, as I traveled to the Castle Pub in Ebensburg to check in with Third Standard.

The last time I had seen this band, about a year ago, their handle was The American Standard Band, and they were playing in the downstairs Dungeon section of the Castle Pub. In the year since, the group transformed into Third Standard, recorded a debut CD, Rabbit Run, and developed a sizable fan following that has enabled them to graduate from the Dungeon to the upstairs Castle Pub mainstage.

I arrived during Third Standard’s first set, and despite a good-sized crowd already in the house, I was still able to find an open table near the Dungeon stairway to set up shop and observe the band. I noticed a contingent from one of the Johnstown radio stations seated at the table directly in front of me. Apparently they had done a remote broadcast at the Castle Pub prior to Third Standard taking the stage. One of the station’s announcers (apparently the one who did the remote) was handing out Easter eggs to select audience members; we would later learn that this egg distribution was the prelude to some between-set chicanery.

Third Standard was in the midst of playing the Refreshments’ “Banditos” as I arrived. Lead singer/guitarist Tyson Ruhlman then introduced one of the songs from Third Standard’s debut CD, Rabbit Run, the passionate power ballad “One More Time.” The group then finished out their first set in uptempo fashion, with AC/DC’s “Shoot To Thrill,” ZZ Top’s “Tush” and Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll.”

Intermission arrived, and the Castle Pub audience found out what the eggs were all about. The audience members who received the eggs were asked to come up in front of the stage and break them on the radio announcer’s head. If the egg was hard-boiled, its owner won a prize; if not, the owner got a good laugh instead at the expense of the announcer. Most of the eggs were not boiled, so the announcer had plenty of egg on his dome, and the Castle Pub staff had a mess on the floor to clean up.

Third Standard soon resumed the music, keeping things in the classic rock vein with the Rolling Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” which prompted several ladies to commence the night’s first dance floor action. Guitarist Joe Scott, bassist Andy Heinze and drummer Manny Barbazzeni then triggered a brief funk jam that morphed into the title song off the group’s Rabbit Run CD. The group continued with an uptempo take on Van Morrison’s “Wild Night,” Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me” and John Mellencamp’s “Hurts So Good.” Third Standard then mixed in one current cover, Jimmy Eats World’s “The Middle,” before continuing with rocking classics from Georgia Satellites, more Van Morrison and Rolling Stones, Bryan Adams and Tom Petty. The group again threw in a recent number, Matchbox 20’s “3 AM,” before a rowdy version of the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues” finished the set.

I was quite impressed by what I had witnessed from Third Standard so far. Instrumentally, this band was tight, talented and together. The rhythm section of Manny and Andy churned out busy, energetic beats and bass to propel the party along. Joe showed off hot guitarwork, with dazzling solo bursts and tasty riffs that flavored and textured each song. Tyson’s voice was in excellent form, displaying clarity, power and range. This band was good when I saw them as the American Standard Band last year; they’re stronger and better now as Third Standard. Castle Pub soundman Red Solinski had the sound mix just right, too, giving the band a full, balanced, crisp mix.

The Castle Pub audience was a little slow to take the dance floor during the first two sets, but came to life quickly as the third set got under way. Third Standard reconvened the party with Collective Soul’s “Gel,” and blended a wider variety of material during this set. The musical menu this time included songs from Better Than Ezra, Counting Crows, The Clarks, Michael Jackson, Cheap Trick, Spin Doctors, Billy Idol, Johnny Cash and more. Again Third Standard clicked on all cylinders, confidently firing this party along. The Castle audience wanted more at night’s end, and the group delivered with AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long.”

Based on this night’s display, Third Standard has developed their show into a strong, confident party. The group kept the music and mood upbeat, and performed it with ample skill, energy and poise. This show served notice to me that Third Standard has arrived as one of this region’s strongest onstage parties, and is a band you need to add to your “must-see” list as soon as possible. Very good show!

Tyson Ruhlman of Third Standard.

Third Standard rocks the Castle Pub.

Andy Heinze of Third Standard.

Once again, Tyson Ruhlman of Third Standard.

Manny Barbazzeni of Third Standard.

Once again, Third Standard, entertaining the Castle Pub.

Manny Barbazzeni of Third Standard.

Once again, Third Standard.

Joe Scott of Third Standard.

One more time, Tyson Ruhlman of Third Standard.

One more time, Third Standard, in the latter stages of their show at the Castle Pub.

JUICED @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/11/04

Rerun. See the January 12 “Weekend Recap” for details.

In the past, Rockpage readers have read nothing but my steady praise for Juiced and their usually heated, volatile onstage party. I’ve dropped the periodic gripe on the group from time to time that they need to freshen up their set list; but otherwise I’ve still usually come away with a good impression and vibe from the group, and have praised their party even with the repetition. You’re probably expecting me to do likewise this time. Guess again.

Again, I’ll gripe about Juiced’s predictability and repetition. Too much of Juiced’s show this night was almost identical to their set list from their last Pelly’s visit on January 11. Same songs, and nearly the same song order; at times you could almost tell what time of the night it was by what song Juiced was doing next! There was the Doug Buch-fronted version of Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” with all of Pelly’s ladydom joining the group onstage; followed by the dance medley. There was the group’s heavy blast of Ozzy’s “No More Tears” seguing into Pantera’s “Walk” and Sevendust’s “Praise” – exactly the same order as last time! The third set was also predictable based on the last several shows – the Norm Marks-crooned take on Dion’s “Runaround Sue,” the Beastie Boys, Rage Against the Machine, and Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It” – and the show’s rerun ending, as Juiced again encored with Drowning Pool’s “Bodies” – same encore as last time! I think the freshest moment of the entire Juiced show was when bassman Greg Folsom strapped on the acoustic guitar, teased Supertramp’s “Give A Little Bit” and Deep Blue Something’s “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” before going into James’ “Laid.” At least the two teasers I hadn’t heard Greg and Juiced do before!

Okay, so perhaps I’m being a bit harsh on Juiced – granted, I realize that fans look forward to hearing their favorite songs when they come to hear Juiced play, and I expect Juiced to perform some of those favorites to satisfy those fans. But is platooning a few songs in and out of the set list from visit to visit, or even including – dare I say it – original songs (which the group has been promising since back when Beth played bass for them) too much to ask? This night literally felt like I was watching a rerun. Lady and guys, some variation, please!

But there was more to my dissatisfaction this night than just the repetition and predictability. This band seemed to be going through the motions. They didn’t seem to be feeling it this night, especially frontlady Carrie. Carrie usually could be counted on to rally the fans with some feisty banter and personality, but she hardly spoke two words to the crowd between songs, at least during the time I was there. We didn’t even get a fiery “Juiced-Rocks-dot-com” audience website shout-along this night!

Perhaps there were other factors at work; it was March, after all, and perhaps the flu bug or other maladies were affecting the band’s overall enthusiasm. Or perhaps the group was becoming complacent with their own set list, and it was just another routine night of the same songs, again.

Ultimately, Juiced still delivered enough of a party this night that Pellegrine’s dance floor stayed busy through it all; and for much of the average Pelly’s Sunday night crowd in attendance, the malaise wasn’t noticeable, and people were still getting crazy through it all. But as somebody who has seen this group numerous times, I noticed the difference. And at least two other devout Juiced followers in the house this night remarked about it to me, so I wasn’t alone in my observation. Although the songs remained the same, the energy and enthusiasm Juiced usually infuses into their performances of those songs was not the same this night.

Hopefully, this was just a case of the band having an off night, and the lapse of overall magic was just momentary. I’ll continue to monitor the patient to see if the pulse quickens (and the set list freshens) on future Pelly’s visits…

Carrie and Juiced.

Norm Marks of Juiced.

Carrie Rapaport of Juiced.

Greg Folsom of Juiced (and yes, that’s Carrie playing a guitar behind him).

In the night’s closing moments, Juiced and rowdy Pellegrine’s fans.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: