· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 2/11/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Feb 11, 2003 

WEEKEND RECAP 2/11/03:

WEDNESDAY NIGHT 2/5 - I checked out what was apparently the last Wednesday all-ager at Peter C's for a while, pending the situation with the new LCB chaperone amendment. Spectre from the D.C. area was onstage as I arrived. I only got to see three songs from them, but what I witnessed sounded good. A foursome, Spectre performed passionate, guitar-driven groove-geared original tunes. The group displayed a strong sense of melody, backed with a full wall of guitar sound. I liked what I heard, I wish I could have arrived earlier to catch more. At least initially the crowd was light at Peter C’s, but more folks arrived as Axum took the stage; and it appeared this night that there were more over-21 folks in the house than under-21’s! It was good to see a lot of musicians in the house, too, including members of By Any Means Necessary, Nine Six Nine (props to these guys, they frequently make the trek in from Clearfield to support the scene!), Stept On, Not Them Guys, Saucemonster, Xpendable, Broken Neck and Inversion! Axum performed two sets, showcasing original songs during the first set and playing covers for the nightcap. Their first set featured a number of hard-edged alt-geared songs from their CD “Heresay” and their forthcoming new CD, expected out in March. Axum’s sound is rigid and moody, with singer Tim McKenna conveying equal doses of passion and angst on the vocal end, and the rest of the group providing an edgy, hard-hitting backdrop. The nightcap set featured current rock from Tool, Linkin Park, System of a Down, Nine Inch Nails, Disturbed and more; highlighted by a cameo vocal appearance by Chuck from Stept On. By the end of the night Peter C’s was alive and happening; too bad the clueless bureaucrats in Harrisburg had to throw a monkey wrench into all-ages shows at over-21 venues with their new chaperone amendment. Musicians and fans need to unite and voice opposition to our lawmakers about this, as it threatens to not just derail all ages shows, but impact national acts even coming into our state to play shows! Keep checking the Rockpage forums for updates, as the petition and letter-writing campaigns shift into first gear!

D.C.’s Spectre, kicking off the night at Peter C’s.

Matt Croyle of Axum.

Don Shiner of Axum.

Tim McKenna of Axum.

Axum in action at Peter C’s.

Chris Monteagudo of Axum.

Once again, Don Shiner of Axum.

Axum again lighting it up onstage at Peter C’s.

One more time with feeling, Tim McKenna of Axum.

Chuck from Stept On makes a cameo appearance.

A “radio-active” pairing: Jen Tiffany and yours truly.

THURSDAY NIGHT 2/6 - It had been two months since we last saw a Hurricanes Thursday at Peter C's, due to the 'Canes' state prison tour in December and the group taking January off for vacation. I was in withdrawal! Needing my "Felix fix," I caught the 'Canes' return to action at Peter C's, and discovered that many other Hurricaniacs were also in withdrawal; excellent crowd and busy dance floor action most of the night! Lots of musicians in the house, and a number of them got onstage during the course of the night. Bassist Jeff Clapper's son, Ryan, stepped up to the mic and sang a strong version of Skynyrd's "Simple Man. The Flame Sky's Jason Feathers and Broken Neck's Phil Wagner helped out on guitars at various points throughout the evening. Not Them Guys' Steve Shiffler belted out lead voice on Neil Young's "Rocking in the Free World." Hurricaniacs Beth Ann (celebrating her birthday) and Willie took turns playing the washboard (Beth Ann is heading to New Orleans soon to study the washboard masters). And then during the last set, Trace Baker from Bluesonic stepped to the mic and belted some INCREDIBLE lead voice the Allmans' "One Way Out," Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll," and Janis' "Me and Bobby McGee!" The energy level and excitement was high the entire night, leading up to the charged finale rendition of Ted Nugent's "Great White Buffalo!" Needless to say, Felix, Bob and Jeff were having a blast onstage with all the musical guests, and appeared happy to be back in action! Hurricanes Thursdays have returned to Peter C's; all is again right with the world.

Special guest Ryan belting out voice with the Hurricanes.

Steve Shiffler of Not Them Guys with Hurricane Felix, rocking in the free world.

Felix watches as Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky jams.

Beth Ann on washboard and Jeff Clapper on bass.

Willie on washboard helps keep the rhythm while Jason and Felix jam.

Bob Watters of the Hurricanes, glad to be back in action.

Trace Baker of forthcoming new band Bluesonic belts out the voice.

Trace Baker, lighting it up onstage with the Hurricanes.

One more time with feeling (and lots of it!), Trace Baker belting it out alongside Jeff Clapper.

Felix Kos of The Hurricanes, back where he belongs on a Thursday night!

Once again, Willie on the washboard.

FRIDAY NIGHT 2/7 - I checked in with Backdraft at the Victory Lane Saloon. For those who didn’t know, singer/guitarist Brian Cupples had some serious throat problems in recent months, and is nearly back to full strength. Brian fronted the group on their eclectic blend of classic rock, R&B, Texas-styled blues and swing, and even a few current numbers thrown in. What I always like about Backdraft is the unexpected; this night was no exception as they broke out versions of Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together,” Sugar Ray’s “Answer The Phone,” and “Dog” by obscure early 90’s funk artist Milo Z! There were also original song favorites like “Let Me Love You” and “Gotta Go,” crisp versions of Tom Petty’s “Free Fallin’” and “Running Down a Dream,” Jonny Lang’s “Rack ‘Em Up,” and the night-ending audience-participation rendition of Van Morrison’s “Brown-Eyed Girl.” At least a few folks in the house this night, including some rowdy dance floor fans, Hurricane Felix and his better half, and Matt from The Flame Sky. A good show, and great to see Brian back near 100% after his recent health hurdle.

Brian Cupples of Backdraft.

SATURDAY NIGHT 2/8 - I trekked up the hill to Ebensburg to check in with Jimmy Sweatpants at Yesterday's Party. The parking lot outside of Y-P was packed; I finally found an available parking space somewhere near New Germany, and went inside to see what was up. The last time I saw Jimmy Sweatpants was during their Cinco de Mayo party at Shooters in Johnstown, where I saw all sorts of crazy stuff, from Amish dudes to drummers enveloped in bubble wrap to dancefloor contortionists and more. What would this night hold? Actually, Jimmy Sweatpants delivered a mostly straight-ahead rocking party this night, packing the Y-P dance floor with lots of current favorites from Puddle of Mudd, Jimmy Eats World, Lit, Bloodhound Gang; even heavier stuff from Disturbed and Godsmack; and a sprinkling of nostalgia rock from Katrina & the Waves, Poison, Foundations and more. The band sounded solid and in good form, despite a few members battling the flu bug. Frontman Brad's and frontlady Amy's voices sounded good this night (Amy voicing Kurt Cobain on "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was unexpected!), and the group's harmonies were on target too. Ray from Open Mic Sound had it happening, the bass thunder was inducing bowel movements up front (I checked my underwear, I was okay…). A change at the guitar helm for Jimmy Sweatpants is on the horizon, as Mark Martinek steps away from the group at the end of March to walk the aisle and exit the single ranks. (A replacement identified as "Big Mike" on the group's website takes over.) Jimmy Sweatpants has solidified into a sturdy party band in their first year-and-a-half, no mystery why they pack houses like this night!

Amy Benko of Jimmy Sweatpants.

Mark Martinek of Jimmy Sweatpants.

Brad Cobaugh and Amy Benko of Jimmy Sweatpants, generating the dance floor action at Yesterday’s Party.

Brad Cobaugh of Jimmy Sweatpants.

Not wrapped in bubble wrap this night, Mark Vatavuk of Jimmy Sweatpants.

Jimmy Sweatpants, keeping them happy on the dancefloor at Y-P.

Darren Tomlinson of Jimmy Sweatpants.

Another gratuitous shot of Amy Benko of Jimmy Sweatpants…and why not?

Mark Martinek and Darren Tomlinson of Jimmy Sweatpants.

She models the band’s logo well…Amy Benko of Jimmy Sweatpants.

”Hey Dude, take my picture!” Okay…

SUNDAY NIGHT 2/9 - After three members of the Poptart Monkeys visited me on Q94's "Backyard Rocker," I returned the favor and visited the Poptarts to wrap up my weekend at Pellegrine's. At first, it looked like it might be a dead night, the crowd wasn't what it was for the previous two Poptart visits. But what the audience lacked in numbers, it made up for in craziness - particularly the women! (See photos below.) A few ladies joined the group onstage during the second set, as they performed the cheesy 80’s/disco medley with songs from Boy George, Lipps Inc., B-52’s, Rupert Holmes and more, plus the new original song “Hooked” and more. Things got more insane during the third set, as the “Fruitsnack Herbivores” (as one stagefront fan dubbed them this night) stepped up the tempo with energized originals like “Nashville Hooker” and “Starwashed;” current rock fare from Drowning Pool, Weezer, Jimmy Eats World; plus an 80’s medley and more. Several female audience members stepped up the insanity onstage and atop the speakers, I was expecting some of the male audience members to start pulling out dollar bills! By night’s end, it had turned into another wild and crazy Poptart Monkeys party, par the course when this band hits town!

Chris Kurtz of the Poptart Monkeys.

James from Poptart Monkeys looks on as two ladies bust their best moves onstage…Yowza!

In a quiet moment, Paul Reddon of the Poptart Monkeys.

James from Poptart Monkeys; who says bass players don’t get any attention?

Paul Reddon and Chris Kurtz of the Poptart Monkeys.

Let me preface these next few photos by saying that one of the Poptart Monkeys’ most popular original songs is called “She Likes Girlz.”

”She Likes Girlz,” Part I.

”She Likes Girlz,” Part II.

And “She Likes Girlz,” Part III. (At this point, I had to step away to defog my glasses and camera!)

Meanwhile, on another part of the stage, Chris Kurtz of the Poptart Monkeys receives a little attention of his own.

Rob Hampton of the Poptart Monkeys.

All this action has him all aglow…James Balogach of the Poptart Monkeys.

What the hell did she say to him? Chris Kurtz of the Poptart Monkeys.

She’s explaining herself a little better now…

Gene Simmons’ tongue has nothing on me…Paul Reddon of Poptart Monkeys.

Paul Reddon and Chris Kurtz of the Poptart Monkeys.

As two students watch intently, Chris Kurtz of the Poptart Monkeys.

NEXT WEEK: MILLENIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE COVERAGE!
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: