· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 3/10/08
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Apr 30, 2008 

WEEKEND RECAP 3/10/08

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 3/7/08

After a long evening in the workplace, I capped the night by catching the latter part of the Hurricanes’ weekly Thursday night hootenanny at 30 Something.

I’m happy to report that the crowd for the ‘Canes seems to keep growing; this is the largest I saw yet since this weekly gig started up in January. Lots of ‘Caniacs were in the house and having a good time. I arrived at the end of the ‘Canes’ second set, in time to witness the group doing a stormy rendition of Ted Nugent’s “Great White Buffalo”…Even lead ‘Cane Felix breaking a guitar string and fixing it during the song couldn’t slow down the intensity of this number!

After just a short break, the Hurricanes returned for an abbreviated but fiery nightcap set, kicking off with Lynyrd Skynyrd/J.J. Cale’s “Call Me the Breeze” and another Ted Nugent number, “Free for All.” On the Hurricanes’ following rendition of George Thorogood’s “Bad to the Bone,” Felix dished out some sleazy-flavored slide guitar licks to complement a wildly-dancing couple on the 30 Something dance floor. The group then closed out the night with Johnny Cash’s “Cocaine Blues,” which finished with a “Green Acres” theme ending, as one guy did his best fancy footwork on the dance floor.

No doubt fueled by the larger and enthusiastic crowd and dance floor highjinks, Felix & the Hurricanes took their game another step higher this night; especially Felix Kos himself, who hammed it up with his guitar to answer some of the audience craziness happening on the dance floor. Based on the little bit I saw, I wished I could have gotten here earlier this night to take in more of this party!

DRAIN THE SORROW/THIS CALLING/DEMISE AWAITS @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 3/7/08

It had been two years since I had last been inundated by a cold, but the cold from hell caught up with me during the course of this week. I debated whether even to head out to see a show this night, but decided that a good dose of hot metal might purge the demons and clear the sinuses. So I took in the triple-bill at Aldo’s, being presented by The Underground Television.

Celebrating the advent of their fourth broadcast season, The Underground Telveision was presenting a hard-rocking triple-bill featuring three bands being filmed for the program. A good-sized crowd was already present early on as I arrived shortly before the start of the show. Several Rockpagers were representing, including CCdrums, Team Transylvania, fbooth, DirtySanchez, C-mor and Naga; as well as the Underground TV Rockpager contingent.

Drain the Sorrow began the night with their scathing brand of metalcore, offering the tightest and most focused set I’ve seen from them so far. Lead vocalist Dave Winters, guitarist Shaun Barr, bassist Troy Mort and drummer Andy Hicks introduced several new original assaults such as “From the Mouth,” “Stand Your Ground” (which they sent out to Sheetz) and “Time Heals Nothing” (dedicated in memory of Michael Hicks). These guys were as instrumentally tight as I’ve seen them, and Dave’s ferocity and intensity was focused, lean and mean. A large portion of the crowd was present to witness these guys, and roared their approval as Drain the Sorrow’s set progressed.

The crowd remained in place during the band changeover intermission, as the Underground TV cameras captured some footage of the occasion for the show. Rachel and Melyssa from the Underground Street Team were giving out free lays…ERR…lei’s…to audience members during the break.

Next on the stage was This Calling, a new hard-rocking foursome formed from the ashes of 4 Days Dirty. Lead singer/guitarist Joe Neary, guitarist/singer Chris Silva, bassist Paul Greiner and drummer Justin Fair introduced a sound that combined elements of thrash and modern metal as they performed a number of original songs; including “A Thousand Words,” “My Turning Point,” the group title “This Calling,” “The Day I Died” (a song inspired after Joe was pronounced clinically dead for two minutes while serving in Iraq) and “Face to Face.” The group also included a version of Lamb Of God’s “Laid to Rest.” This Calling’s sound was volatile and hard-hitting, yet contained a degree of melody and focus. Overall, they gave a strong showing, and I hope to witness more from this band in the coming months.

This Calling, rocking for the Underground TV cameras at Aldo’s.

Again, This Calling.

Joe Neary of This Calling.

Chris Silva of This Calling.

Again, Joe Neary of This Calling.

Paul Greiner and Joe Neary of This Calling.

Justin Fair of This Calling.

The crowd diminished a little bit during the second intermission, but a mid-sized crowd still remained as the final band of the bill, Brockway’s Demise Awaits, took the stage. Demise Awaits closed the show with a set that demonstrated their brand of all-out, guitars-blazing thrash and speed metal. Lead singer/guitarist Jason Chatfield, lead guitarist Jason Shimmel, bassist Austin Feely and drummer Brian Wells played blistering assaults such as the Slayer-ish “I Want Your Blood,” “Ultra Perfect Machinery,” “The Nothingsoul” and “Professor Headwreck.” Demise Awaits displayed a lot of Slayer-ish speed and velocity, as well as a constant barrage of shredding from their dual Jason guitar tandem. Hindering their impact somewhat was the lack of a midrange from their sound mix, which gave them a thin sound that obscured the detail of what they were doing. But the stagefront fans still appreciated their efforts and cheered them on.

Demise Awaits, slamming the lid on the night at Aldo’s.

Again, Demise Awaits.

Brian Wells of Demise Awaits.

Jason Chatfield of Demise Awaits.

Once again, Demise Awaits.

More metal maelstrom with Demise Awaits.

Again, Jason Chatfield of Demise Awaits.

Overall, this was a fun night that allowed three original bands with distinct styles and sounds to show their stuff. And while it didn’t cure my cold, the metal and brews at least made me forget about it for a while.

BACKLASH @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 3/8/08

The weather during this Saturday featured a wet spell followed by the arrival of a cold front, with brisk winds kicking up and dropping temperatures turning wet roads into icy surfaces. I had entertained the notion of heading up the mountain to see a band or two, but thought better of it. (I learned that the roads up the hill did ice up, so it was a wise decision.) After thawing out the lock on my driver’s side door, I ventured out to see the first Altoona visit of Huntingdon County trio Backlash, making their first visit to the Hitching Post.

I arrived during the middle of Backlash’s first set, and not surprisingly, the combination of a new band and harsh winter winds took their toll, as the Hitching Post was only lightly populated. But I recognized band manager Colonel Joyce and pulled up a chair alongside her to check out her husband, Jim, behind the drum kit, along with bassist/singer Dan McCorkle and guitarist/singer Wade Shumaker.

Backlash mixed rock and blues favorites from the 60’s to 90’s through the better part of two sets I got to witness from them. Their set list included numbers from Robert Palmer, Allman Brothers, Greg Kihn Band, Steppenwolf, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Social Distortion, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Deep Purple, Spin Doctors, Johnny Cash, Kiss, T. Rex, the Eagles, Doors and more. Dan and Wade swapped vocal duties, and all three musicians were solid on their instruments. Backlash kept the tunes nonstop and the breaks in the action minimal, providing a Saturday night rock’n’roll good time for the small crowd in the house. After their second set, though, citing the low attendance, both venue and band agreed to pack it in for the night, and the show was over.

Hopefully Backlash will get another opportunity to win a fan base in this town, and get another show at the Post on a night when the weather is a bit more cooperative. I liked what I saw from them; a good solid rock’n’roll band!

Dan McCorkle of Backlash.

Backlash’s hot classic rocking sounds heat up a cold Saturday night at the Hitching Post.

Jim Mills of Backlash.

VELVEETA/THE O.B.C. @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 3/8/08

With Backlash’s show at the Hitching Post ending early, there was time left for me to catch some more live music activity on this Saturday night. So I headed over the hill to the 4D’s Lounge, to catch the remainder of Velveeta’s party, and get my first look at the cheese rockers since their roster changes in January.

I had actually forgotten that fellow Happy Valley party rockers The O.C.B. were sharing the bill with Velveeta this night, and that bassist John Cimino was subbing for John Matthews in the Velveeta roster. I arrived early in Velveeta’s nightcap set to find a good-sized crowd partying down to a mixture of both bands on the stage. O.C.B. frontlady Lexann Berich and John Cimino were onstage for Velveeta’s rendition of Pat Benatar’s “Hit Me you’re your Best Shot,” before guitarist Chad Caprio joined the fun on Buckherry’s “Crazy Bitch.” The Velveeta contingent continued on with Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ’69,” John Mellencamp’s “Hurts So Good,” Neil Diamond’s ever-popular chestnut “Sweet Caroline,” and John Cimino singing lead on Lit’s “My Own Worst Enemy.” A number of dancing ladies flooded the stage and danced alongside the musicians on Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down,” and helped Chad sing Garth Brooks’ “Friends in Low Places.” Velveeta continued with AC/DC’s “Dirty Deeds,” before John again sang lead on Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar on Me” to finish the night.

From what I witnessed, both bands teamed up to make this an excellent party. Velveeta and their guests kept the dance floor crowd festive to the end and delivered a feverish good time.

Brian Kriley of Velveeta.

With John Cimino filling in on bass (right), Velveeta packs the dance floor at the 4D’s.

Velveeta’s designated-hitter bassist John Cimino, surrounded by a sea of dancing women.

Brian Kriley and John Cimino of Velveeta, helping keep the dance party going.

The party continues with Velveeta.

Brent Martin of Velveeta.

FLIGHT 19 @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 3/9/08

This weekend ended with another trip aboard the “Party Plane,” as Flight 19 closed out Sunday night with a party at Pellegrine’s.

My “Backyard Rocker” Acoustic Jam Special duties kept me later than usual this night, and I didn’t arrived at Pelly’s until just before the start of Flight 19’s nightcap set. The trusty flight crew of singer Brian Thomas, guitarists/singers John McKelvey and Scott Imler, bassist Tim Kelly, keyboardist/singer Phil Steele and drummer Darin Hand reconvened the music with John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band’s “On the Dark Side,” and followed with Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell,” the John-fronted spin on Jonny Lang’s “Lie to Me,” Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me” and the Scott-howled rendition of AC/DC’s “Shoot to Thrill;” before the group veered off the flight path into a disco medley stringing together snippets of the Commodores’ “Brickhouse,” Ohio Players’ “Love Rollercoaster,” The Gap Band’s “You Dropped a Bomb on Me” and more. After Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch” and the group’s own popular original “Hands,” light tech Bob Canistraci joined the group to provide additional vocal help on Drowning Pool’s “Bodies” and the Linkin Park spin on “Faith” to end the night.

Again, it appeared that Flight 19 was pulling a few more folks this night, and that the Pellegrine’s crowd was gradually warming up to them. The dance floor stayed fairly busy through the third set, and the folks seemed to have a good time. Another weekend in the books…

With light man Bob Canistraci helping out on vocals, Flight 19.

Bob Canistraci and Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Phil Steele and John McKelvey of Flight 19.

JP’s HAIKU

4D’s double-bill
O.C.B. and Velveeta
80’s cheese party!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: