· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 2/27/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Jun 12, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 2/27/06

DUSTIN BURLEY @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 2/22/06

Short and sweet, I headed to City Limits late this night to catch the tail end of Dustin Burley’s weekly Wednesday show. I got to see four songs, two which I recognized; Pearl Jam’s “Black” and Dustin’s unique spin on “Gin and Juice.”

PLAZMA @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 2/23/06

Short and sweet, I headed to City Limits late this night to catch the tail end of Plazma’s weekly Thursday show. I got to see seven songs, four which I recognized. Three of them were from the Phish catalog; “Possum,” the Phish spin on Ween’s “Roses are Free,” and “Slave to the Traffic Light.” The group closed out the show with the Grateful Dead spin on “Sugaree.”

Plazma, kicking out the jam at City Limits.

DECISION DAY/INFUSED @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 2/24/06

What a week! A shooting at the hair salon across the street from my workplace, bank hold-ups, bounty hunters from Baltimore raiding houses in the middle of the night, what a freakin’ zoo this town was this past week! I was ready for a foamy cold one and some live rock and roll, so I was off to City Limits for the double-bill of Infused and Decision Day.

Actually, that wasn’t my original game plan. I actually first tried to go to Rubine’s to check in with the Amplified Heet, since they started earlier in the evening and I could catch one of their sets before heading to City Limits. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a parking space within a 2 block radius of Rubine’s…And in that neighborhood, given the wild and wacky week it had been already in Altoona, I wasn’t walking from beyond 2 blocks to get to Rubine’s. Sorry Jules and Heet, another time sometime soon.

En route from my abandoned Rubine’s quest to City Limits, I found the madness that had engulfed this city had extended to the highways…East Pleasant Valley Boulevard (old Route 220) was blocked off between Rosehill Drive and Pottsgrove/Greenwood Road, the result of a head-on car accident four hours earlier that claimed two lives! I had to detour through my own neighborhood, up Rosehill Drive and down Pottsgrove Road, to get to City Limits this night.

I arrived early into Infused’s set, and a good-sized crowd was in the house. Infused showcased new and older original songs and a few select covers; demonstrating their hard-edged, melody-based modern rock style with a slight U2 flavor. Singer/bassist Shawn Huss, guitarist Rod Skelley and drummer Ed Longo introduced new songs such as “Nothing More to Say,” “Powerful” and “A Feeling Inside Me;” as well as more established originals such as “Within,” “Defused” and more. I was informed after their set that Infused would be taking time away from live stage action, as Ed would be undergoing throat surgery. (Little did anybody realize this night that we would lose Ed to cancer by year’s end.)

Infused, kicking off the night’s music at City Limits.

Shawn Huss of Infused.

Ed Longo of Infused.

Rod Skelley of Infused.

Again, Infused.

Again, Shawn Huss of Infused.

After a changeover intermission, new Altoona-based band Decision Day then performed two sets of hard-hitting current and 90’s rock favorites. This group featured three former members of 7-9-and-Out; rhythm guitarist Travis Bohn, bassist Moose and drummer J.D. Heverly, along with singer Ryan Dibert and lead guitarist Lee Stein. Decision Day’s first set featured tunes from Collective Soul, Godsmack, Bush, Seven Mary Three, Green Day, Creed, Offspring, Alice In Chains, Silverchair, Nirvana and more.

Decision Day’s nightcap set featured more tunes from Offspring and Seven Mary Three, as well as Puddle Of Mudd, Beastie Boys, Candlebox, Seether, Saliva and more. A musical highlight at set’s end was 4 Days Dirty guitarist Joe Neary joining the group onstage for Drowning Pool’s “Bodies.” A non-musical highlight earlier in the set was one wild dance floor participant deciding to do a front flip over his friend, landing squarely on his back…Ouch! When the dance floor crowd demanded an encore at night’s end, Decision Day responded with a new Nickelback number.

Decision Day generated a lot of excitement and kept their presentation action-packed and moving, resulting in constant dance floor activity for the duration of their performance. A good night.

Decision Day, rocking a packed dance floor at City Limits.

Ryan Dibert of Decision Day.

Travis Bohn of Decision Day.

J.D. Heverly of Decision Day.

Again, Decision Day.

Again, Travis Bohn of Decision Day.

Once again, Decision Day.

Moose of Decision Day.

The party continues with Decision Day.

Lee Stein of Decision Day.

Again, Ryan Dibert of Decision Day.

Again, Moose of Decision Day.

Again, Lee Stein of Decision Day.

Yet more Decision Day.

Again, J.D. Heverly of Decision Day.

Once again, Travis Bohn of Decision Day.

It’s a rowdy Friday night party with Decision Day.

Guest Joe Neary helps Decision Day with vocals.

Again, Decision Day with Joe Neary.

One more time, Decision Day.

4 DAYS DIRTY (CD RELEASE PARTY)/DRAGON FIRE @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 2/25/06

4 Days Dirty had two big reasons to celebrate this night. First, the group’s guitarist, Joe Neary, was home on break during his tour of duty in Iraq. And Joe’s homecoming coincided with the release of 4 Days Dirty’s debut CD, Raise Your Hands…If You Feel Like Dying. Both events were being celebrated this night at Aldo’s, as part of a double-bill with Dragon Fire.

With Joe onstage and alongside bandmates Steve Danfelt on lead vocals and guitar, Paul Greiner on bass and Justin Fair on drums, 4 Days Dirty started the evening with a set showcasing their original songs, including numerous songs from the new CD. The group blended melody and raw intensity on such tunes as “Killbox,” “Downtime,” “Wanted,” “Blindside,” “Shot Gun,” “Disguise” and more. Joe was clearly happy to be back on stage, and the band as a whole delivered their high-powered rock with abundant enthusiasm and emotion.

Steve Danfelt of 4 Days Dirty.

With Joe Neary onstage, 4 Days Dirty celebrates the release of their first CD at Aldo’s.

Joe Neary of 4 Days Dirty.

Playing to a crowd in front of the stage, Paul Greiner and Joe Neary of 4 Days Dirty.

A side view of Joe Neary and 4 Days Dirty.

Again, Joe Neary of 4 Days Dirty.

Again, Steve Danfelt of 4 Days Dirty.

Once again, Joe Neary of 4 Days Dirty.

Justin Fair of 4 Days Dirty.

Paul Greiner of 4 Days Dirty.

Home on leave from Iraq, Joe Neary of 4 Days Dirty.

One more time, 4 Days Dirty.

After the changeover intermission, Dragon Fire kept the mood festive and the music heavy. With frontman “Robo” Ron Riley angling to see bare cleavage at the front of the stage, Dragon Fire tore into their set of brute force metal originals and a few select covers. The group mixed old and new material, performing earlier favorites like “Rush,” “You Thought” and “Cutting Dead Weight,” and also unleashing new assaults such as “Zombie,” “Decorations on Darkest Days,” and “Unstoppable,” during which Joe Neary and several ladies were dancing on the speakers. Dragon Fire also broke out two heavy covers; Mushroomhead’s “The Dream Is Over,” and their crowd favorite monstrous spin on Green Jello’s “3 Little Pigs” to close the night.

“Robo” Ron Riley of Dragon Fire.

Again, “Robo” Ron of Dragon Fire.

Eric Shumac of Dragon Fire.

Again, “Robo” Ron Riley of Dragon Fire.

A lady dances atop the speaker while Dragon Fire rocks Aldo’s.

More ladies adorn the speakers as Dragon Fire performs.

Again, Eric Shumac of Dragon Fire.

Again, Dragon Fire and dancers.

Chris Peters of Dragon Fire.

Again, Chris Peters of Dragon Fire.

Ron and Chris of Dragon Fire.

Once again, Chris Peters of Dragon Fire.

It’s bright strobes as Dragon Fire continues to rock Aldo’s.

More madness with Dragon Fire.

With women groveling at his feet, “Robo” Ron Riley of Dragon Fire.

Yet again, Chris Peters of Dragon Fire.

One more time, Dragon Fire.

BAD DAZE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 2/26/06

After completing my “Backyard Rocker” duties this night, I was ready for Snickers and rock’n’roll! Bad Daze had both in abundance, so I was off to Pellegrine’s.

Altoona’s slowness to warm up to this band was again in evidence this night, with a light turnout as I arrived during Bad Daze’s second set. But singer Rob Carolus, guitarist Kenny Murdick, bassist Paul Rainey and drummer Randy Wilson didn’t let the lack of crowd bother them; instead, they were determined to deliver the good time to the folks who were in the house. The remainder of their second set featured tunes from Weezer, Green Day, Bowling for Soup, Offspring, Bon Jovi and more.

The third set picked up more steam, as Bad Daze finally began to draw some partiers onto the dance floor. The group rocked the dance floor crowd with tunes from Fallout Boy, Staind, Jimmy Eats World, Godsmack, Rage Against the Machine, Eminem, Velvet Revolver, Pantera and Poison. After Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me” closed out the set, Randy presented Pellegrine’s main man Harry Jr. with his Steelers jersey. Bad Daze then answered the fans’ encore demands with the night-closing rendition of Drowning Pool’s “Bodies.”

Rob Carolus of Bad Daze takes the party to the dance floor.

Randy Wilson of Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick and Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Again, Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Bad Daze, closing out the weekend at Pellegrine’s.

Once again, Rob Carolus.

Again, Kenny and Paul of Bad Daze.

Offering an “old skool” pose, Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Again, Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick with his spiderweb guitar.

More Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Some ladies whoop it up onstage during Bad Daze’s party.

Again, the dancing ladies.

Bad Daze with lots of ladies on stage.

Flanked by a crowd of women, Kenny Murdick drills a guitar solo.

Once again, Kenny Murdick.

Harry Pellegrine, Jr. accepts his Steelers jersey from Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Harry shows off his new Steeler threads.

One more time, Rob Carolus.

One more time, Randy Wilson of Bad Daze.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: