8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Other
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 12

TJ Kelly

Post Posted: Wednesday Dec 05, 2007 

Ok I know we have a ton of Bass Players out there so let's hear what your favorite bass is and why
 Back to top »
TJ Kelly

I'll kick this off. Currently I'm using a Sadowsky Metro 5. I've had lots of boutique type of basses over the years but old age is bringing me back to simpler Fender style of bass. The fit, finish and sound are all top notch on the Sadowsky basses. I would consider getting a Fender Roscoe Beck, Precision or Jazz V as well. And I'm real interested in the Squier Jazz V for a back up.
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Other

I like all of the basses on the poll, but I still love my trusty Carvin LB75. To this day, I've never played a bass that felt as comfortable in my hands. The string-spacing is perfect for me. Carvins aren't spectacular sounding instruments on their own, but their pianoesque timbre sits perfectly in a mix, IMO. I've always been impressed with its sound whenever I let someone sit in and I listen to it out in the audience. I was looking at the recent photos that Jim uploaded of a show we did this past summer, and I have to say that it's just a truly beautiful instrument.

When you get down to it, I prefer Jazz-style basses. I don't get into the whole "Hard Rock/Metal" looking instruments like Warlocks and such. I don't like fancy spalted tops or basses that look like bizarre pieces of modern art (e.g., Wishbass). Give me that traditional double-cutaway with a contoured body, and I'm ready to go. I do like the Spector/Schecter Stiletto/Warwick style of bass too. My next bass is probably either going to be a Schecter Stiletto or a Warwick of some kind (most probably a Thumb).

Tim, you're always welcome to check out my Squier Jazz V.
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Dec 06, 2007 

Duh!?

Where' Rickenbacker?
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Duh?

Where's Alembic?
TJ Kelly

Duh = Other
 Back to top »
Big Jimi Cee
Gold Member
Gold Member

For me it is my Ken Smith 5 String. The Smith's have an exceptional tonal pallette. I can pretty much get the sound that I want from ther eq on the guitar. Rarely do I have to change settings on my amp. These guiters are exceptional to play and are extremely well built. On the downside Ken Smith himself can be kind of an A-hole at times if you have to deal with him, but damn he builds a great guitar. In the boutique basses the other bass that I have been looking at are the real Tobias' (MTD) another exceptional guitar (one of many that are being made today, its a matter of choice). Next is my 71 Rickenbacker. The Rick can't be beat if your looking for that sound and playability. But for some things I still like coming back to the Fender 4 string. My preference is a P neck/J Bridge pup configuration. But with that said if I could justify it I would probably have either a Smith or a MTD 4 string in lieu of the Fender. So I guess that we have come full circle that the Smith's are my favorite.

Last edited by Big Jimi Cee on Thursday Dec 06, 2007; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
BDR

Mine would have to be the large-mouthed bass ...

I guess that would fall under "Other" as well ...

r:>)
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Ibanez, Gibson, Schecter, Music Man & Warwick = Other
bassist_25

Big Jimi Cee wrote:
On the downside Ken Smith himself can be kind of an A-hole at times if you have to deal with him

I remember one time Smith made a comment that he didn't let someone try out one of his instruments at a NAMM show, and his analogy for that reason is because a Mercedes dealer sizes you up before he lets you test drive a car. It's the same with a bass. I use to use Ken Smith strings for quite a while. When I saw him make that comment, I thought, "Asshole," and haven't purchased a set of his strings since. He definitely does make beautiful basses, and I'm sure they're excellent quality. I just couldn't buy something off of a luthier who has that kind of attitude. That's just my personal philosophy.
Big Jimi Cee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Paul,

The good and bad about Ken Smith is when you call, he will personnally take the call and talk with you, but usually by the time you are done talking with him you seriously question why you called him to begin with. That is probably why if I were to purchase another high end bass I would consider the MDT. But then again Smith does build one hell of a guitar and everyone that I have talked to that plays a Smith is pretty much in agreement about Ken but still loves his guitars. What I don't know is if your a a known pro whether he treats them the same. I also understand he is actually a pretty good player. But nevertheless he can be an A-hole
DrumAndDestroy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Fender...hands down.

I like my Geddy Lee.
 Back to top »
Soulseeker

Warwick all the way, They look mean and they got BALLS!!! Thats all you really need right??? haha
MeYatch
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

lonewolf wrote:
Ibanez, Gibson, Schecter, Music Man & Warwick = Other

I thought this was funny. Ibanez and Gibson aren't really big names in basses. Warwick gets a lot of buzz, but I honestly don't see them very much. The only big name bass besides Fender up there is Music Man.

I had to vote for Fender, because A) Rickenbacker was not an option (what the hell, the second production electric bass ever (1954) isn't even a choice)

and B) If I could only own one bass, it would probably be a Fender Jazz.

That said, its a close competition with my Rickenbacker, I really love that bass. I find myself picking it up whenever I'm writing, or in any "one bass" situation.
grimmbass
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Jan 01, 2008 

As a proud owner of both Spector and Warwick basses, Spector still has my vote hands down. Keep in mind, I play older early-90's Euros...not the LX models they're currently selling. Both my Euros are neck-thrus that are virtually indistinguishable from their U.S. counterparts save for the dot inlays (which were later changed to the U.S.-style crown inlays).

I think that a player's choice of instrument is one of the most personal statement he/she can make; there is no "right" or "wrong" bass for everyone. I love the raw power, clarity, and punch that the combination of solid maple and EMG pickups gives me.

I got a Warwick Streamer Stage I neck thru a few months back, and the MEC pickups just don't have the drive and clarity of the EMGs. That being said, Warwick's electronics are also more sensitive and adjustable than the standard EMG preamp (as my Euros are both equipped). I'm still tweaking, and I haven't given up on dialing in "my sound" from the Streamer yet.
www.myspace.com/thegrimmband
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sapo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Feb 26, 2008 

My October 12-string. It sounds huge.
orangekick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Feb 26, 2008 

Lakland, Music Man and Fender in that order.
 Back to top »
EyesOfAnguishbassist
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Saturday Mar 22, 2008 

Well I love my Fender just cuz it sounds amazing, really nice and clean, and I really like my Ibanez cuz it sounds nice and mean, but the thing I like about it more than the Fender is its alot lighter and the neck seems easier to play..

BUT back when I played with Your Dying Wish I used our frontman Justin Gelvin's Warwick Corvette bass and it was by far my favorite, it had everything you need and more Twisted Evil He was gonna sell it to me for dirt cheao but I was broke at the time and now I hate myself for not buying it.

I never used a Music Man but if I ever had that much money to throw around I would love to purchase one.
seven_star_customz

Post Posted: Wednesday Apr 02, 2008 

I have 2 esp basses a B-104 and F-254 They both sound Amazing. For a few reasons A) active pickups and eq, Set neck, There nut material. and the agnathias wood. There not to light but they dont feel like an old school fender. ( Just perfect) And i love the necks there nice and slim where you need them to be. Not only that but Even though people will say that "esps are made for metal and metal only" Probably never seen one in person or played one. I used my F254 in a Bluegrass / gospel group and sounds good there to. They call it versitility. All around good guitars and basses.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Saturday Apr 26, 2008 

I have to vote other since my main bass is an original Steinberger and my second bass is a Rickenbacker 4001
 Back to top »
slackin@dabass
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday May 12, 2008 

spector hands down. i just bought the euro 4lx-35 off of moondoggy, and man, i love it. i think i've killed the batteries already, and i got it from him friday. i love the tone. the best part is the 3 band aguilar eq. what an awsome bass for an awsome price from an awsome dude!
RamRod 1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Friday Jul 25, 2008 

lonewolf wrote:
Duh!?

Where' Rickenbacker?

Right here!

[img]
[/img]
 Back to top »
sunsetbass