· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/19/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Aug 19, 2004 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/19/04

RONNY D, ADAM D & BIG JIM @ BELMAR HOTEL, ALTOONA 7/13/04

Up for some live tunes this Tuesday night, and able to escape the day job early enough to enjoy some, I headed to the Belmar Hotel to catch the latest weekly installment of Ron Dalansky, Adam D and “Big Jim” Ricotta’s Tuesday night unplugged.

Not too crowded, the Belmar still had some folks in attendance, including some of the regular music fans who have made the Belmar Tuesday acoustic thing a part of their week.

The trio of musicians was into an interesting acoustic variation on Metallica’s “Enter Sandman,” with Ron strumming a mandolin-like solo during the song’s midsection. Also interesting was Adam D’s ‘Enrique Iglesias’ lounge/keyboard take on Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid.” Ronny D then sang lead on 5 Man Electrical Band/Tesla’s “Signs,” before Adam did another solo keyboard take on Warrant’s “Uncle Tom’s Cabin.” Adam continued to fly solo with Elton John’s “Bennie and the Jets,” before Ron and Jim rejoined him on The Who’s “Pinball Wizard” and the Beatles’ “Come Together.” Adam again went solo on Guns’N’Roses’ “Patience,” and the trio ended this night with John Mellencamp’s “Pink Houses” and Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here.”

In all, a casual, laid-back and uneventful show. The three players all sounded comfortable on their instruments this night. Adam’s interesting key/lounge takes helped keep things fresh; and overall, it was a happy, friendly vibe.

Big Jim and Ronny D entertain the Belmar.

DREAMCATCHER @ HERITAGE PLAZA, ALTOONA 7/14/04

Wednesday is usually my weekly “hell night” at the workplace, and I usually don’t escape from my appointed duties on a normal Wednesday until close to midnight. This usually makes catching live music events on Wednesday difficult, if not impossible. But I lucked out this particular week; I was able to get some of the workload completed earlier in the week, thus freeing me up to take in at least one installment of the Summer Concert Series at Altoona’s Heritage Plaza, sponsored by the Blair County Community Action Agency.

Performing this night was a group I did not know anything about going in, Dreamcatcher. I arrived just before Dreamcatcher started into their second set, and discovered that this group was a trio of area music veterans. Ric Criste plays guitar, Jim Hemcher bass, and Andrea “A.J.” Jones the drums. All three sing.

With Andrea singing lead, the group kicked off their nightcap set with Shania Twain’s “Man! I Feel Like a Woman,” and proceeded to mix up country, early and classic rock’n’roll favorites. Jim sang lead on another country hit, Tim McGraw’s “I Like It, I Love It.” Along the way, Andrea showcased her drumming skills on the Surfaris’ ever-classic “Wipe Out;” and the trio performed favorites from the Beatles, Toby Keith, the late 50’s Santo & Johnny instrumental hit “Sleepwalk,” ZZ Top, and to close the show, Pat Benatar’s “Hit Me With Your Best Shot,” with Andrea singing lead.

Dreamcatcher did a decent job overall. All three of these musicians did well in their respective roles and blended well as a group. The group kept it basic and no frills, and maintained a pleasant and laid-back vibe. Dreamcatcher’s mix of vintage rock’n’roll and country inspired several folks to get up and dance along.

Attendance was good for this installment of the Summer Concert Series, and it was good to see area residents and music fans taking advantage of the opportunity to enjoy free live music in downtown Altoona on Wednesday evenings. Hopefully, my work schedule will afford me another chance or two to check out some of these shows in Heritage Plaza before summer’s end.

Dreamcatcher entertains a crowd of onlookers at Altoona’s Heritage Plaza.

Once again, Dreamcatcher.

One more time, Dreamcatcher.

SQUARE ONE @ WING-OFF, LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 7/15/04

One of the most anticipated times of the year had finally arrived – the start of the annual Lakemont Park Wing-Off’s, happening on six consecutive Thursdays during July and August. The Wing-Off’s again promised to deliver that all-important menu for summer fun – hot wings, brew, live music, and – if the weather cooperated – members of the opposite sex in skimpy summer attire.

The weather didn’t cooperate for this Wing-Off kickoff, with Square One providing the music. It was overcast as I arrived, and rain was in the forecast. Rain had drenched Square One’s Wing-Off kickoff last year, and a repeat performance appeared possible.

After procuring my first batch of wings from the Beerbellies pavilion, I took up position at one of the stagefront picnic tables to observe Square One. Singer/guitarist Don Osborn, bassist/singer Bill Hunter and drummer Jeff Crownover kicked off their classic rock repertoire with a double-shot of the Beatles, doing “You Can’t Do That” and “Eight Days a Week.” The group nicely mixed it up between 60’s, 70’s and 80’s favorites, performing tunes from the Stray Cats, Bob Seger, Tom Petty, Van Morrison, CCR, Eddie Money, Greg Kihn Band and more. Highlights included the CCR medley/double-shot of “Green River” and “Born on the Bayou;” bridged by Bill’s clever Beatles “Day Tripper” bass line. All three musicians were in good form, with Jeff’s and Bill’s solid rhythms setting the foundation for Don’s high-flying vocal range and spirited guitarwork.

One thing noticeably missing from this Wing-Off – and sadly, what will be missing from all of them from now on – Bobby Walter, a.k.a. “The Lakemonster.” It will take a long time to get used to not seeing Bobby in front of the Wing-Off stage, cracking the whip, grooving and dancing as the various Wing-Off guest bands performed. Indeed for seasoned Wing-Off veterans like yours truly, Bobby – struck and killed by a car last October – was being remembered and missed.

Attendance was slightly down for this Wing-Off kickoff, due to the cloudy skies and cool temperatures. Still, people were enjoying wings, brew and music.

As Square One began their second set, though, the first raindrops began to fall. The rain was a light shower at first during the group’s version of Robert Palmer’s “Bad Case of Loving You,” but grew heavier and steadier during Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny” and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Gimme Three Steps.” Now a downpour, the rain forced me to retreat beneath the sound tent, and soon forced a rain delay to the music as rain water began leaking through breaches in the Wing-Off stage canopy, and musicians and sound crew (Harlan Cox and Doug Cruse) scrambled to keep instruments and gear dry. The wing-eating masses in front of the stage scrambled, too – many to the beer pavilion, which quickly became crowded and was doing a brisk business.

During the rain delay, I myself headed to the beer pavilion to socialize for a little while (and stay dry); and missed some of Square One’s performance after the group got back under way. After the rains tapered off, I returned midway through the third set. The group had grown into a foursome, as Don Osborn’s son, Shawn, had joined the group onstage with his guitar. The group proceeded through such classics as the Eagles’ “Hotel California,” the Rolling Stones’ “Honky Tonk Women,” Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ’69,” the group’s trademark fusion of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young’s “Find the Cost of Freedom” and “Ohio,” and the finale, an extended shout-along version of the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues.” By this point, at least a few Wing-Off revelers had emerged from the pavilions to cheer the band along.

Square One was in good spirits despite the rain; they joked that they should be booked to perform during a drought period or whenever the area needs a good rainfall. I suggested a marketing idea to them – getting those one-dollar plastic rain ponchos and having a Square One logo printed on them; and then handing them out to people at outdoor gigs and Wing-Off’s whenever it starts raining.

So a soggy start to this year’s Wing-Off’s, but the music, brew and wings (Beerbellies’ hot and later, City Limits’ Italian) more than made up for it.

Square One musically kicks off the 2004 Wing Off season.

Don Osborn of Square One.

Bill Hunter of Square One.

Once again, Square One.

Square One and Doug Cruse scramble to cover up gear as the rains begin to fall.

After the rains subside, Shawn Osborn joins father Don Osborn and Square One in the homestretch of the Wing Off.

Two young fans cut the rug to Square One.

ACID REFLUX @ THE BAR, ALTOONA 7/15/04

After the Wing-Off, I headed to the workplace to dry off and finish up some duties, before heading to The Bar in Altoona to see what was up with acoustic favorites Acid Reflux.

I arrived midway through the second set. Singer/guitarist Dwane Edmiston and bassist/singer Matt Burns (percussionist Lynn Endress was not present this night) were entertaining a light crowd with Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t You See.” The pair continued with Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes,” a song by Rusted Root, Jimi Hendrix’s “Crosstown Traffic” and Jet’s “Are You Gonna Be My Girl” to close the set.

The Bar began to fill up more during the intermission, and a healthy-sized crowd had assembled by the time Acid Reflux started into their final set. The pair kicked off with the Eagles’ “Hotel California,” and delivered an eclectic mix of favorites, including classics like Buffalo Springfield’s “For What It’s Worth,” Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love,” Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition” and the Allman Brothers’ “Whipping Post;” current and recent favorites from Five For Fighting and Sublime; and versions of Pearl Jam’s “Black” and Jane’s Addiction’s “Jane Says.” But for me, the clincher was Acid Reflux’s finale this night, as Dwane and Matt pulled off an amazing two-man version of Pink Floyd’s “Dogs!” The pair used guitar and vocal effects, with Dwane providing the barking canine midsection. I sat and watched in awe as Acid Reflux pulled out the unexpected and made it work – wild!

The pair’s performance was strong overall. Both Dwane and Matt are exemplary players on their respective instruments to begin with, and effectively and masterfully implemented effects and other nuances to give their treatments of classics an authentic feel. Both instrumentally and vocally, Acid Reflux executed like a well-tuned machine.

The Pink Floyd “Dogs” finale ended the show on a high. Since it was only a little past midnight, I headed to another part of town to see if that exhilarating musical “high” could be continued…

Before their show went to the “Dogs,” Acid Reflux entertains The Bar.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 7/15/04

From The Bar, I headed to Peter C’s to catch the latter stages of this week’s Thursday night Hurricaning.

The Hurricanes had a full-fledged party under way, with plenty of “Hurricaniacs” in the audience. Felix, Jeff and Bob were entertaining the crowd with the Allman Brothers’ “No One to Run With,” before getting everybody’s wings flapping with a sudden shift into the “Chicken Dance.” After Jeff sang the original rocker “Black Widow,” the Hurricanes fired into Steppenwolf’s “The Pusher,” during which Felix unleashed a hallucinogenic guitar fit so intense it scared Hurricaniac “Uncle Bud” sober! The Hurricanes then introduced a new original called “Time for a Change,” and continued with another original favorite, “Icy You.” During Al Green’s “Take Me to the River,” Felix went turkey hunting with his guitar, as he screeched out turkey calls on his strings. Sure enough, Wild Turkeys began to show up onstage, waiting to be killed off by the band. The group finished up the night with a rowdy rendition of Dr. Hook’s “Cover of the Rolling Stone,” with Felix tossing out Hurricanes wardrobe to the audience, including ballcaps and a G-string.

It was a typical night of Hurricanes fun, with hot musicianship, smoldering grooves, a lively crowd, Felix spanking Peter C’s main lady Jodie K with his guitar and more. The group kept my evening on a high crescendo for the rest of the way – yet another good time!

Felix & the Hurricanes light up yet another Thursday night at Peter C’s.

Once again, Felix & the Hurricanes.

THE GRIMM/NUM @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 7/16/04

Facing several options in the Altoona area this night, I decided to take in the original metal showcase at Peter C’s, featuring The Grimm and the Altoona swan song appearance of Harrisburg’s Num.

But as I entered Peter C’s this night, something was amiss. Upon entering, I learned that I had barely missed seeing a visit from the Pennsylvania State Police’s finest, enforcing PLCB sound rules on Peter C’s. By law enforcement’s well-tuned ears, The Grimm was playing too loud, and Peter C’s had just received a $1,000 citation.

The atmosphere was understandably tense, and there was discussion over whether Harrisburg's Num would even go onstage and risk attracting a repeat from the PSP Gestapo. Eventually, though, Num decided they would go on, and would do their best to avoid having lightning strike twice.

With bassist Jim Smith taking lead mic, Num began their set with their blunt force shout-along anthem, "The Shocker," commencing an almost all-original set of metal. Frontman Randy Hykes then took over the mic and led Num on originals such as "Red Maria," "Disconnect," the slower "The One," "Stitches," the gothic-geared "DDM" and more. The group ended their first set with "Broke Down God," featuring cameo backing vocal help from Grimm frontman Bob Lee and bassist Kent Tonkin.

As I observed the last time I saw them, Num was again taking their brand of brute force heavy metal in several interesting directions. Jim, guitarist Shawn Smith and drummer Paul Cochran Jr. crafted darker, more eerie terrain for frontman Randy to demonstrate his psychotic vocal stylings. Randy constantly varied his delivery, from anguished howling to vicious snarling, to childlike banter to sinister contemplation. It's too bad that Randy and the band are parting ways this fall, as this performance and their newer song material indicate that Num was just starting to come into their own with a unique style and slant.

Before Num's abbreviated last set began, Paul led the rest of the band in a salute to Randy, as he parts ways with the group soon. The group, and members of The Grimm, tipped the hat to Randy. Num then slowly commenced with a take on Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters," abandoning the song midway through and conceding that cover songs were not their forte. They then demonstrated that their strength is their own original music, performing several heavy originals and ending the night with the title track from their CD, Neglect.

Thus closed the book on Num's final Altoona show. The group will continue to play out several more dates through the remainder of summer, before calling it a day in September. According to Jim, the remaining members sans Randy plan to begin a new project out of the ashes.

Although attendance was light and they were playing hot on the heels of a visit from law enforcement, Num was fairly well-received by much of the audience, and made their Peter C's swan song performance count. Best of luck to Randy and the rest of Num on their post-Num endeavors.

Randy Hykes of Num.

Num puts pedal to the metal at Peter C’s.

Johnstown native Paul Cochran Jr. of Num.

Paul Cochran Jr. gives Num singer Randy Hykes a congratulatory send-off.

Jim Smith of Num.

Num takes to the floor during the latter stages of their Peter C’s performance.

Randy Hykes of Num unleashes his full fury.

Shawn Smith of Num.

Chell, sporting her Grimm team colors this night.

Chell, awaiting what evils that lurk in Grimm frontman Bob Lee’s “Big Bad Bag O’Stuff.

After her traumatic encounter with Bob’s “Big Bad Bag O’Stuff, Grimm bassist Kent Tonkin consoles Chell…

SCREAM @ COUNTY LINE INN, MOUNT UNION 7/17/04

Since they're scheduled to be on the cover of the September issue of Pennsylvania Musician, and I needed to interview the group before writing their cover story feature, work met play for me this Saturday night as I roadtripped to the County Line Inn in Mount Union to interview – and then party with – hometown 80's rockers Scream.

I wasn't going alone, though. Having become a big fan of Scream after seeing them several times at City Limits, the Right Honorable Guv'nor Jesse was tagging along with me for the opportunity to see Scream rock before their rowdy hometown fans. I would be the designated driver, and Guv'nor Jesse would be the designated drinker.

After conducting my interview with the band (you can read some of what they had to say in September's Pennsylvania Musician), I rejoined Guv'nor Jesse inside the main band room at the County Line Inn and awaited the start of Scream's performance.

Soon Scream took the stage, and the party was on! Singer Jeff Hoover, guitarists Ed Miller and Skip Henry, bassist Robert Port and drummer Mike Dooley started the 80's rock fest with Warrant's "Down Boys." The group quickly fired off versions of Skid Row's "Youth Gone Wild" and AC/DC's "Shoot to Thrill," and as they arrived at Bon Jovi's "In and Out of Love," fans already were starting to get crazy, with one gentleman doing a running knee slide on the dance floor back towards the bar. Yes, as I told Guv'nor Jesse, Huntingdon County fans get crazy for this band! After the Scorpions' "Rock You Like a Hurricane," Jeff addressed the crowd and welcomed them to the show, before Ed revved up his best Harley guitar riff to kickstart Scream's take on Motley Crue's "Kickstart Your Heart." As the group continued through Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again," AC/DC's "Have a Drink On Me" and The Cult's "Fire Woman," the dance floor saw its first action of the night. That action continued to grow as the group headed for their final song of the first set, Great White's "Save Your Love."

As expected, Scream came out with guns blazing during this initial set. Jeff's voice was in good form, and Ed and Skip were delivering fast and fiery guitarwork, each player alternating the spotlight back and forth. Scream's production crew had the sound and lights cranking as well, giving this band full illumination and thunder.

The County Line crowd now warmed up, it did not take long into the second set opener, Dio's "The Last In Line," for at least a few participants to take to the dance floor, and more to follow as the group stepped up the tempo with Grand Funk Railroad's (redone by Autograph and Jackyl, thus making the tune 80's pertinent) "We're An American Band." The following version of Kix's "Cold Blood" featured the first of several crisp harmony lead guitar displays from Ed and Skip. After AC/DC's "If You Want Blood You Got It," Jeff invited the Right Honorable Guv'nor Jesse onstage and introduced him to the Huntingdon/Mifflin County constituents. Scream then cranked up Autograph's "Turn Up The Radio" and continued the party with Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog." Aerosmith's "Dream On" provided the first opportunity of the evening for couples to slow dance. The action picked up again with Kiss' "Detroit Rock City," AC/DC's "Live Wire" and Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It." Scream then returned to the Motley Crue catalog for "Wild Side," before ending the set with a Def Leppard triple-shot; performing "Rock of Ages" and "Pour Some Sugar On Me" before slowing it down for the slow dancers with "Love Bites."

Twenty minutes and one overly-rowdy-woman-tossed-from-the-premises later, Scream returned for round three, commencing with Sammy Hagar's "Heavy Metal." Scream then broke out Accept's "Balls to the Wall," and proceeded to re-pack the County Line dance floor with Slade/Quiet Riot's "Cum On Feel the Noize," Poison's "Nothin' But a Good Time," and Jetboy's "Feel the Shake." The group slowed things down with Ozzy Osbourne's "Goodbye to Romance," before picking the tempo back up with the Bulletboys' "Smooth Up In Ya." Scream kept the dance floor busy with Rhino Bucket's "Hey There," Quiet Riot's "Metal Health (Bang Your Head)," The Scorpions' "The Zoo," and Judas Priest's "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" to end the set. The County Line crowd wasn't ready to pack it in for this Saturday night just yet, and they loudly beckoned for Scream to give them one more song. The group responded with a version of Ozzy's "Crazy Train" to finish the night.

As expected, Scream provided the hometown folks with the ultimate 80's rock extravaganza. The band was clearly stoked to be playing to this crowd, and the entire show rode on a constant high from start to end. Ed and Skip blazed on guitars, each scorching off solos back and forth, blending for smoking dual guitar harmonies, and Ed using the talkbox from time to time. Mike's beats pounded, and Robert generated a solid, mean bass line through it all, enhanced by the thunderous production of Lee Worthy and Scream's audiovisual support staff. Jeff's voice held up well throughout the night, and the man took the party to the crowd constantly. The crowd quickly came to life from early in the first set onward, and the party never let up.

Guv'nor Jesse had a blast this night, clearly enjoying the experience of seeing Scream in front of their hometown crowd and with their full production. The Guv'nor already wants to head back for Scream's next appearance at the County Line, which is in late October for a Halloween party.

As I've said before, Scream's magic is that they lived and breathed 80's rock when it came out in the 80's, and they put full heart and soul into their performance of this vein of rock now. These musicians continue to be the real deal, and they made it count at the County Line Inn this night. This show was very much worth the roadtrip. And I recommend the County Line as the place to catch Scream in their full force and glory.

Robert Port of Scream.

Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Jeff Hoover and Skip Henry of Scream, taking it to the County Line audience.

Scream commences their second set amidst a creeping fog.

Mike Dooley of Scream.

Jeff Hoover of Scream sings to a busy dance floor.

Ed Miller of Scream.

Scream rocks while Guv’nor Jesse enjoys dance floor bliss.

Once again, Ed Miller of Scream.

Once again, Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Skip Henry of Scream.

Robert Port and Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Again, Mike Dooley of Scream.

Jeff Hoover addresses Guv’nor Jesse.

Again, Robert Port of Scream.

An audience member helps Jeff Hoover with vocals.

Robert Port and Skip Henry of Scream.

Again, Ed Miller of Scream.

Again, Robert Port of Scream.

Jeff Hoover pulls yours truly onstage.

Once again, Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Once again, Ed Miller of Scream.

After the show, Scream, the Guv’nor and yours truly pose for a photo.

Part of the post-game ceremonies this night, Guv’nor Jesse helps Jeff Hoover properly fold the American flag.

Jeff completes his instructional seminar on Flag Folding 101.

BOOST @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/18/04

This weekend concluded for me, as usual, at Pellegrine's, where Boost was placing the cap on the weekend.

I arrived during the intermission before Boost's third set, and chatted with the group's bassist and singer, Keith Niedermeier shortly before he and the group re-took the stage for their final set. Ironically, we briefly were talking about the movie The Blues Brothers, and the scene where Dan Aykroyd asks the barmaid what music goes over well at the hayseed bar and she responds, "Both kinds.Country AND western!"

I say ironically, because once Boost started back into the music, it became apparent that this was a hard Pelly's crowd, and their response was almost as cold as the hayseed bar in the movie! No, bottles weren't flying through the air, but it was strange to see the room as full as it was, and the dance floor was empty! Boost was sounding crisp as they got going on usual surefire favorites like Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl," Van Morrison's "Brown-Eyed Girl," the Beatles's "Twist and Shout" and the Bart Hipp-fronted version of The Darkness' "I Believe In a Thing Called Love;" but this was a hard crowd this night, and response was minimal. Finally, Poison's "Talk Dirty To Me" brought a few brave souls onto the dance floor, and for several songs, it appeared that the Pelly's crowd was finally coming out of their funk. The floor stayed busy for James' "Laid," Simon & Garfunkel's "Cecilia," George Michael's "Faith" and Joan Jett's "I Love Rock'n'Roll." The group then did their fusion of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" and Juvenile's "Back That Azz Up." But strangely, as steadily as the crowd came to life on the dance floor, the dance crowd trickled back into their seats, and the floor was near empty as Boost continued with a funk/disco/dance medley segueing Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive," Ohio Players' "Love Rollercoaster," Hot Chocolate's "You Sexy Thing," and K.C. & the Sunshine Band's "Get Down Tonight;" before ending the night with the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated."

It was hard to figure what was up with the audience this night, perhaps they just weren't in dancing mode. Boost sounded clean and crisp on their set, and their vibe was friendly and upbeat as usual. As I told the band, I've been trying to figure out what makes Altoona crowds tick for 17 years, and nights like this reassure me that I still haven't quite figured out this town yet! Weird night.

Matt Seno and Keith Niedermeier of Boost.

Jim Logrando of Boost.

Matt Seno of Boost.

Midway through the last set, Boost breaks the ice and attracts some ladies to the dance floor and stage.

Keith Niedermeier of Boost.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: