· The Final Cut
Compressor set up
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Oct 29, 2004 

I've got a Behringer multicom I want to start setting up on lead vocals, My goal is not too have a compressed sound but to eliminate the spikes when our lead vocalist starts wailing something. I've been setting the gain much lower than it should be when she is singing the average part so she doesn't peak the board when she starts wailing.

I've got threshold, ratio, output and limiter to work with, If I want to have no compression during averge vocal passages and compressed on louder passages what are you're opinions / starting points for setting this up? I'm thinking somewhere around 0db on the threshold, 4:1 ratio, keep the output rather close to 0 and limit around 12db ?

I'm not experienced with compressors and the manual doesn't help too much so any input will help, I also know most of you probably have different views so I'm interested in hearing them.
Hannibal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Sunday Oct 31, 2004 

Presuming you are going to connect the compressor at the channel insert point for the vocalist's mic, here goes. You are OK on the 4:1 compression ratio. That means for every 4 dB the vocalist's level increases, the output only increases 1 dB in level. That works well for me. But the threshold setting you will have to work with at an event. It's a function of what microphone is being used, the setting of the console channel's preamp input gain pot [top of console channel] and the insert point's voltage levels. My settings for threshold vary quite a bit from one application to another. I use inserted compessors on a number of inputs, just to make it easier to keep a good handle on the overall band. Hope this helps.
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Sunday Oct 31, 2004 

Yes it will be in the insert, I used it at practice tonight and it worked pretty good. We are off for a month to learn some new tunes and stuff so I'll continue to get myself familiar with it before we get out to a gig.

So just to make sure : the threshold will be the point compression starts and the ratio will be the amount the signal above the threshold is compressed? yeah, nah ?
Hannibal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Monday Nov 01, 2004 

You have the right idea there. You can also set the threshold just a little bit lower. It will help "ride the gain" of the channel for you as well. Hope this helps. Better sound is what it's all about.
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sounds like you may just want a limiter and no real compression. If that is the case, you may want to try using it as a peak limiter only, with the threshold maxed out, the ratio at infinity:1, and set the limiter to right before the point where the vocal starts to overload things.

That would give you full dynamic range up to the point were the wailing starts, and then it would not allow any higher peak output than the limiter setting.

This may be a little radical depending on the situation, but I have used this method before to remedy the same problem.
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Yeah Ron, thats basically what I was looking for but never though of just using the limiter, I'll give it a try and see how it works, since I need to set it and forget since I'm playing maybe I can just use a little compression and set the limiter as you described. Thanks
onetooloud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday Nov 04, 2004 

Ah just go down to sheetz push the start button and set level to about 35 and use their compressor.

Easy to setup and no vocals to worry.
 Back to top »
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Nov 04, 2004 

onetooloud wrote:
Ah just go down to sheetz push the start button and set level to about 35 and use their compressor.

Easy to setup and no vocals to worry.

Ok, Why dont ya come for the ride so I can stick that compressor hose up you @#$ ?
tornandfrayed
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Nov 05, 2004 

You should probably go with just the compressor, but you should also get someone to come and help you out. If you have to do a "set and forget" then you should probably get a buddy to come to rehersal and watch to get the level and mix right. Then you could be comfortable knowing that your range won't max eveything out at the moment of wailing!
 Back to top »
onetooloud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Friday Nov 05, 2004 

I'll go for the ride but ain't playin with no hose!!

What everyone has said sounds about right!! But I've never noticed the board getting hit hard at your shows.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: