WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/24/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Dec 17, 2009 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/24/06

“EQUINOX TOUR” w/HALESTORM/SHINEDOWN/TRAPT @ UPJ FIELDHOUSE, JOHNSTOWN 4/19/06

My quick recap of this show...

Halestorm – Bristling, poised and powerful. Lzzy's pipes were in great form as she led into the set with her extended acapella intro to "It's Not You." She and Halestorm quickly had the house cheering along. Halestorm's 25-minute set showcased the group's newer originals, which blended melody with heavy-rocking thunder. Lzzy's voice was the focal point, but the dual guitar leads between Lzzy and Joe Hottinger connected as well. Arejay did a short drum solo, which converted into a drum/percussion circle display involving all four band members. On their final song, Lzzy jumped down from the stage and sang along the front barricade, meeting and greeting fans up front. Halestorm made the most of their alloted short time as openers.

The only performance shot I was able to get during the whole show before my batteries died…Halestorm during their drum circle.

Shinedown – Admittedly, I haven't heard a lot of Shinedown yet other than the main songs getting played on the radio; and I'm not a fan of their take on Skynyrd's "Simple Man." Having said that, I was impressed with Shinedown's set, enough so that I purchased their Us and Them album afterward. Shinedown showed energy and intensity, and their song material was interesting more often than not. Singer Brent Smith connected with the crowd well, at one point even climbing over the stagefront barrier and going out into the crowd. I don't know Shinedown's song catalog too well yet, but I know they did "Simple Man" (cigarette lighter moment). Shinedown seemed to draw the best consistent response from the crowd. My own first impression of Shinedown was good, I wouldn't mind seeing them perform again.

Trapt – Was good. Like Shinedown, I wasn't very familiar with their song material other than the hit "Headstrong" (which they encored with). I thought Trapt's execution was clean and tight, and singer Chris Brown displayed good range. I didn't think they were as exciting as the first two bands; singer Chris seemed to be the only band member showing any intensity or movement. Their songs were good, but didn't really connect with me as anything above the ordinary. Overall, I thought Trapt was okay, but I wasn't sold enough by this performance to consider them a must-see.

The crowd was smaller than expected; the main factor to blame was apparently that this was finals week at UPJ. I ultimately enjoyed the show overall; my only disappointment was my camera batteries dying (I thought they had more juice than they did, and I had a great vantage point to get good shots of the stage, too – DAMN!).

Back to Halestorm. I was amazed to observe how this band has progressed since I first saw them back in the days of Lzzy on keyboard and Arejay on the spinning drum kit. I remember their mom, Beth, telling me back then that she was going to let the kids pursue their music, and see how far they would go with it. Now I saw them this night, and was floored by how far they have come along, not just musically, but professionally. Halestorm isn't just happy to be signed to Atlantic, they're working their butts off to give it their best shot. After their set, Lzzy came back out front and went down the line in front of the stage barricade, shaking hands and greeting every fan up front. Then they went to the autograph table and signed CD's, posters and photos. Then, as Trapt's set finished, the band came back out and again did some impromptu autographing and meet-and-greet, taking time to talk to everyone who wanted to talk with them. Beth back then was the band mom just learning the ropes of this whole music biz on the local level; now, she is the group's seasoned stage manager, and was overseeing all the fine details before and after their set, plus roadie-ing and helping haul and pack gear. (Roger wasn't along this time out, due to day job duties back at home.) From what I witnessed both watching and speaking to Halestorm this night, I think they should be an inspiration to any other area bands with the dream to someday "make it" - they went about it the right way, working their tails off to develop their music and learn all they could about the industry, networked and made contacts that eventually paid off for them. Now they're continuing to work, to give their record deal the best shot for success. And their fans – new and old – are still number one with them. It's too early to know if they will emerge as the next big thing once their CD's come out; but one thing's for sure, they are giving it their best shot.

Lzzy and Halestorm greeting fans after their set. And then my camera batteries totally died.

HUGE MIDGETS @ THE FOXBURG INN, ST. BENEDICT 4/20/06

The Huge Midgets, entertaining at the Foxburg Inn.

Angelo Pompa and Bob Gray of Huge Midgets.

Josh Yahner of Huge Midgets.

One more time, Huge Midgets.

4 DAYS DIRTY/FLORD @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 4/21/06

4 Days Dirty.

Justin Fair of 4 Days Dirty.

Again, 4 Days Dirty.

Steve Danfelt of 4 Days Dirty.

Paul Greiner of 4 Days Dirty.

Once again, 4 Days Dirty.

Phil Keith of Flord.

Flord.

Butch Woodward of Flord.

Don Frye of Flord.

Again, Flord.

Tom Yannitelli of Flord.

Guest Jimmy Mincin sings alongside Phil Keith of Flord.

NITEKAST @ BAR 53, COALPORT 4/22/06

Nitekast, rocking Bar 53.

Josh Oaks of Nitekast.

Josh Boring of Nitekast.

Josh Oaks and Brandon Scalese of Nitekast.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 4/23/06

I learned while browsing Felix & the Hurricanes’ website earlier in the day that the group won their qualifying round of the Pittsburgh Blues Challenge the night before; so I decided to head to the Hitching Post after finishing my “Backyard Rocker” duties to partake in the post-victory celebration!

The Hurricanes, finishing up the weekend at the Hitching Post.

The Hurricanes, with guest Lauren stepping up to sing.

Jeff Clapper with guest Lauren on vocals.

Bob Watters of the Hurricanes.

Lead ‘Cane Felix Kos.

Once again, the Hurricanes with guest Lauren.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: