· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/1/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/1/06

BAD HAIR DAY @ ELECTRIC AVENUE, HOUTZDALE 4/26/06

Bad Hair Day entertaining “Bike Night” at Electric Avenue.

Gary Bickerstaff of Bad Hair Day.

Tim Chelednik of Bad Hair Day.

JP’S MARATHON WEEKEND RECAP 5/1/06

In my world of covering live music happenings, it occurs once in a blue moon: A weekend arrives where a number of blockbuster live music events takes place. And I – never wanting to miss anything – have to take them all in, or as many as I possibly can. The last weekend in April was such an occasion. This was a weekend where I needed either an oxygen mask, caffeine, or clones of myself to be able to see everything I wanted to take in. Actually, the caffeine sufficed, as I got to witness all the events on my itinerary except for the very last one, the Meeka Starr Benefit at Aldo’s.

ROADKILL/4 DAYS DIRTY/AT HOPES END/KUNG FU GRIP @ DAYS INN ROADTRIP LOUNGE, CLEARFIELD 4/28/06

Not many bands last long enough to be able to play a 1,000th show; in fact, very few do. This night in Clearfield was about celebrating one that did, Roadkill.

Roadkill. 1,000 shows. Who would have ever thought? Sixteen years and eight months ago, it started; by my estimation (the band can correct me on this if my calculation is wrong), August 1989.

I’d have to dig into my Pennsylvania Musician archives to be sure (and I’m feeling too lazy to do it right now), but my guess-timate is that I first saw Roadkill in or around 1990 at Pokey’s near Philipsburg, after frontman Greg Majewsky invited me to come check the band out. It was there that I got my first taste of Roadkill “Rot and Roll,” highlighted by Greg’s acid tongue and crazy antics. Over the years, I would see Roadkill a number of times, and remember quite a few of them – including Greg wrecking a tricycle during a show at Aldo’s, just after the venue expanded to three rooms. I remember Roadkill playing as a four-piece at “Mountain Of Rock” at the Socoski Farm outside of Osceola Mills on July 4, 1992, with Greg flopping around like a fish on the lawn during a Metallica song, and spraying silly string on Thunder Alley as they played. There was Roadkill’s first appearance at the “End Of Summer Jam” benefit concert at the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club, as the group rocked the crowd and then worshipped at the feet of the U.S. House Band when they played later on. Although not a Roadkill show, I remember Greg showing up at Blaz-On’s final show at New Sebastiano’s (now City Limits), clowning around and making everybody laugh their guts out when he fell down behind the drum kit and stage. There were the group’s two “Backyard Rocker” appearances (especially the first one, where Greg gave the show host his best Sam Kinison-styled tirade because it took three years to get Roadkill on the show). More recently, I remember Roadkill welcoming special guest Lzzy Hale of future Atlantic recording artists Halestorm onstage during Q94’s 2003 “Q-Fest” at the Cresson Sportsmen’s; and Greg harassing a couple making out in a booth during a show at Glenn’s Place in Claysburg a few years back.

Yes, Roadkill has made a number of memories. They’ve made several CD’s, each with some quite memorable tunes – from the group’s rampaging signature title anthem to the monster-metal send-up “Hardcoreo,” to the dig on a famous female rocker “I Wanna Be the Ex-Boyfriend of Alanis Morisette,” to the hilarious Christmas reflection “Santa Is a Big Fat Jerk.” In a sense, it dawned on me that Greg, guitarist Sean McCracken and drummer Shawn “Teach” Evans are this area’s equivalent to Motorhead – no, their sounds are different, to be sure; but like Motorhead, Roadkill has always been all-out and in your face, warts and all. And like Motorhead, even though many folks didn’t take this band seriously, they’ve hung around and stuck around through the years, doing what they do, building a gradual fan base and assembling a body of work – and ultimately, although I’m sure Greg would dispute this, building RESPECTABILITY. Leading to this night, as Roadkill achieves its 1,000th show milestone. It would be a memorable night on several fronts…

Opening the night, Kung Fu Grip.

Once again, Kung Fu Grip.

Bringing the metalcore, At Hope’s End.

Frank Rumfola of At Hope’s End.

Again, At Hope’s End.

One more time, At Hope’s End.

Also helping Roadkill celebrate their thousandth this night, 4 Days Dirty.

Steve Danfelt of 4 Days Dirty. As I recall, Steve was very, very, VERY drunk this night!

Celebrating 1,000 shows, Roadkill!

Shawn “Teach” Evans and Sean McCracken of Roadkill.

Greg Majewsky of Roadkill.

Shawn “Teach” Evans.

Sean McCracken of Roadkill.

Again, Sean McCracken.

Long live Roadkill!

Again, Greg Majewsky.

Once again, Sean McCracken of Roadkill.

Once again, Greg Majewsky of Roadkill.

More of Majewsky!

Yet again, Greg Majewsky.

Roadkill’s party continues.

There he is again, Greg Majewsky of Roadkill.

Greg presents a plaque to fans Adam and Lori Zimmerman.

The presentation is made.

GET CLOSER TO THE MUSIC 3RD ANNUAL MUSIC FESTIVAL @ BOOKER T. WASHINGTON RECREATION CENTER, ALTOONA 4/29/06

It may have taken a little while to develop some momentum, but Get Closer To The Music’s annual Music Festival is now growing by leaps and bounds. This year’s 3rd annual Music Festival was the biggest and best yet!

This was a fun-filled day, as families and youngsters from throughout the area got to see and explore various musical instruments, with instructors and musicians present to show the youngsters how each instrument works and is played. Kids got to try out guitars, basses, keys, drums and more.

Throughout the day, there were musical performances from several area bands and musicians. Generation Gap kicked off the music with their blend of classic and current rock and roll. .00 Buck then performed their brand of old-time country and honky tonk music. Felix & the Hurricanes played their style of classic, southern rock and blues. And the day ended with a jam session hosted by Generation Gap. Several times during the day, youngsters were invited up to the stage to join the bands in making music. Nashville country recording artist Ricky Lee stopped in to make a cameo appearance, and got up and sang two songs with Felix & the Hurricanes. He also handed out free tickets to every youngster who wanted to attend his concert later that evening at the Jaffa Shrine.

It was a very good day. The turnout was excellent, and was the biggest attendance the Music Festival has seen thus far. Throughout the day, you could see the smiles on the faces of youngsters discovering and playing instruments. Lots of happy memories were made, and hopefully many of these youngsters discovered a new interest - music - that will develop into a life-long interest.

On behalf of Get Closer To The Music, thanks to everybody who came out and supported the event!

Here are some pictures from the Music Festival:

Instructor Tim Aungst shows a youngster how to play a bass guitar.

Instructor Lisa Fazenbaker teaches some young ladies how to play the drums.

Instructor Bill Hocherl coaches some more youngsters on how to play the drums.

Jeff Renner introduces a youngster to the world of guitar playing.

Don Hughes lets a youngster try his hand at the keys.

Generation Gap kicked off the music with their set of classic and current rock and roll. The band's members' ages range from early 20's to near 60, spanning several generations, thus the band's name.

Brian Elliott of Generation Gap.

Don Hughes of Generation Gap.

John Stevens of .00 Buck chimes in with some harmonica during Generation Gap's set.

.00 Buck (pronounced "double-ott buck" for those not versed in hunting terminology) continued the music with their old-time country and honky-tonk sounds.

John Stevens of .00 Buck.

Tim Kelly of .00 Buck.

A highlight of .00 Buck's performance was when the group invited a group of drum-playing youngsters up to the stage to provide stick-clicks during their rendition of Roger Miller's "King Of The Road."

Get Closer To The Music's Cathy Berg had a busy day as visitors registered for various door prizes.

Felix & the Hurricanes kick off their set during the Get Closer To The Music festival.

One of the day's biggest highlights happened during the Hurricanes' set. In between songs, Hurricanes singer/guitarist Felix Kos heard a youngster elsewhere in the room playing the licks of "Sweet Home Alabama" on a guitar. Felix immediately invited that youngster to step up to the stage, plugged him in, and allowed him to play guitar and experience the spotlight with the Hurricanes as they performed "Sweet Home Alabama."

Later on, the Hurricanes invited a bunch of young drummers up to the stage to bang away on the skins during "Wipe Out."

The "Wipe Out" drum party continues.

Altoona native and Nashville recording artist Ricky Lee joins the Hurricanes on a rendition of Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode."

Felix Kos and Ricky Lee.

Generation Gap hosted a jam session near the end of the day. Jeff Renner stands in to play guitar.

The jam session continues, with Don Hughes on keys, Jeff Renner on guitar, Lisa Fazenbaker behind the drum kit and Mike "Griff" Griffiths on bass.

A happy Professor, after winning some new bongos. To quote a Dire Straits lyric, I'll soon be "banging on the bongos like a chimpanzee" in no time!

RICKY LEE @ JAFFA SHRINE, ALTOONA 4/29/06

Ricky Lee gets out into the crowd during his performance with the Mustangs.

Ricky Lee serenades the fans.

Again, Ricky Lee.

Ricky Lee piques patriotic furvor during the song “American Soldier.”

More of Ricky Lee and the Mustangs.

Again, Ricky Lee.

Once again in the crowd, Ricky Lee.

Ricky Lee brings children’s choruses onstage to sing along.

Again, Ricky Lee, with his Mustangs and kids’ choruses.

Once again, Ricky Lee and the Jaffa crowd celebrate America.

FOSTERCHILD/POSTAL/CHEMICAL SWING @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 4/29/06

From New Jersey, Chemical Swing opens the night.

The bass player and lead singer for Chemical Swing.

Again, Chemical Swing.

Second on the bill, northeastern PA’s Postal.

Joey Postal.

Again, Postal.

Again, Joey Postal.

Jimmy Postal.

Once again, Postal.

One more time, Postal.

Fosterchild takes the stage at City Limits. Fosterchild’s drummer is former Fuel drummer Kevin Miller.

Again, Philadelphia’s Fosterchild.

Brian Quinn of Fosterchild.

Again, Fosterchild.

Erik Leonhardt of Fosterchild.

More of Fosterchild.

Kevin Miller of Fosterchild.

Again, Brian Quinn of Fosterchild.

Again, Kevin Miller.

Danny Beissel of Fosterchild.

16TH CRAZY FEST AMATEUR YOUTH TALENT SHOW @ GREENWOOD FIREHALL, ALTOONA 4/30/06

Over the years, Dennie Huber has given several explanations on how his annual youth talent contest/show came to be called “Crazy Fest.” His historical explanation is that at the time he started the event in 1990, he was a member of the band Crazy Notions, and that the band started the show, thus the name. But Dennie has also explained that circumstances surrounding the event itself have contributed to the name; this year, for instance, Dennie had 19 registered entrants for “Crazy Fest” as of the Wednesday preceding the event. Between Wednesday and the day of the event, Sunday, another 35 entrants registered, so Dennie was going crazy getting everything in order before the big day. And as this year’s event itself proved, it was a CRAZY time, and one of the most memorable “Crazy Fest” events yet!

I often tell Dennie from year to year, that I always attend “Crazy Fest” wondering how each new year’s crop of young talent can possibly surpass the performances of past years. And usually, I leave the Greenwood Firehall after picking my jaw up off the floor, again amazed at the talent displayed by the latest “Crazy Fest” talent field. This year, it happened again.

Recapping the day’s winners: In the age 7 and 8 category, Sarah Donley won with a dance performance. In the age 9 and 10 category, Sarah’s sister, Lauren Donley, won with a tap dance performance. In the age 11 to 13 category, Eva Henry of Hollidaysburg won with her singing and keyboard performance of Fleetwood Mac’s “Don’t Stop.” In the age 14 division, Mara Murphy of Hollidaysburg won first place with her singing performance. In the age 15 division, Devon Ingold of Cresson took top honors with her theatrical singing performance. In the age 16 to 18 category, Ross Perduzzi of Ebensburg won top honors with his voice, piano and harmonica performance of Billy Joel’s “Piano Man.” And in the age 19 to 21 category, Luke Henry of Hollidaysburg won with his voice and electric guitar performance of Aerosmith’s “Mama Kin.” The amateur rock band division was won by the lone band contestants this year, the 8-piece band Plural Nouns from Keith Junior High School, who also won the “Crazy Fest” Fan Favorite trophy, as voted on by the audience. In the duo/group division, the Ingold Sisters – Devon, Kelsie and Karlie – won top honors with their theatrical singing performance. The “Crazy Fest” Future Star top honors were awarded to Karlie Ingold in the age 12 and under category, and to Ross Perduzzi in the 13 and older category. The Russo Family presented several awards, including the TNT (Top Notch Talent) Award, which went to guitarist Skyler Wyland. The Russo Rising Star Award went to Eva Henry, the Broadway Bound Award went to Devon Ingold, and the Cute As A Button Award went to Karlie Ingold. The Russo Family also presented their Elite Awards; Elite Vocalist honors went to Nick Finochio of Altoona, Elite Musician honors went to Ross Perduzzi, and Elite Dancer honors went to Lauren Donley. And the Servello Family presented a Best Vocal Performance Award to Ross Perduzzi; that award includes a 3-hour recording session at Jack Servello’s recording facility in Altoona. Several “Crazy Fest” alumni were given awards; Angela Dodson and Kaitlin Marie Baker received the Outstanding Achievement Awards, and Mallory J. Keith was given the Hall Of Fame Award. This year’s event also saw exhibition performances by Crystal Marie, Don Hughes, Kayla Hilton, Mallory J. Keith, Angela Dodson and Elaini. Thanks to all the volunteers who helped to make the event happen, as well as the participants and audience, and of course, big thanks to Dennie Huber for giving the area’s young people the opportunity to show their stuff at the 16th annual “Crazy Fest.”

The show organizer and master of ceremonies himself, Dennie Huber.

This youngster secures a floor vantage point to view Crazy Fest.

The eventual winner in the age 11-12 category, Edith Henry, accompanied by brother Luke on guitar.

Contestant Melissa Hawes, displaying her violin talents.

The audience gets another look at Crazy Fest’s under-12 contestants.

The first exhibition performer of the afternoon, former Crazy Fest winner Angela Dodson.

The only contestants in this year’s Crazy Fest band competition, Plural Nouns.

Plural Nouns’ horn section.

The eventual winner in the age 14 class, Maura Murphy.

In the age 15 division, Devon Ingold’s performance references an unsuspecting Don Hughes on the judging panel. Devon’s humorous performance would eventually win top honors in this division.

Dennie Huber and the judges recognize the Greenwood Volunteer Firemen.

Another former Crazy Fest winner and exhibition performer this afternoon, Crystal Marie.

Handling production for the afternoon, Dave Hilton and Jack Servello.

A contestant in the age 16-18 division, Brittany Merritts.

From Roaring Spring, Kira Burley.

From Ebensburg, eventual age 16-18 division winner, Future Star Age 13-and-Above Winner, Best Vocal Performance Individual Winner, and Russo Elite Musician Award Winner Ross Perduzzi.

Also in the 16-18 division, Justin Cain.

Contestant Skyler Wyland, showing his fretboard shredding skills.

Contestant Peter John Cain.

Performing in exhibition, former Crazy Fest contestant Mallory Keith.

Kicking off the age 19-21 division, Nikki Knepp.

A contestant in the age 19-21 division, Ashley Weich.

Contestant Jeremy Merrick.

Another age 19-21 contestant, Autumn Shiffler.

Eventual age 19-21 division winner Luke Henry.

The audience reviews the 13-and-older contestants.

Kicking off the Crazy Fest duo/group division, The Soulmen Rhythm & Blues Revue (Blues Brothers tribute).

In the duo/group division, the Ingold Sisters, who would win top honors in this division.

“JB VAVA PALOOZA” JOHN BAKER MEMORIAL BENEFIT CONCERT @ ELECTRIC AVENUE, HOUTZDALE 4/30/06

On Electric Avenue’s widescreen television screen, what this day was all about.

A tribute to one of John Baker’s bands, Tugger, was under way as I arrived. Partaking in that tribute are Rich Johnson, Sherry Lender, Nate Socoski and Calvin Walls.

Rich Johnson, taking part in the Tugger tribute.

Sherry Lender.

Bob Haight of Buck-It takes part in the Tugger tribute.

Jim Force, Bob Haight and a bass player (I don’t recognize him) take part in the Tugger tribute.

The Tugger tribute continues.

Buck-It frontman Greg Mallon participates in the Tugger tribute.

Jason Shaffer of Chaos joins in the fun of the Tugger tribute.

More fireworks during the Tugger tribute.

Matt Socoski joins in.

Again, the Tugger tribute.

Matt Socoski.

Jason Shaffer and Al Kephart.

Chris Kane and Serious Jones singer Dennis Wood contribute to the Tugger tribute.

Angelo Pompa behind the drum kit.

Again, Chris Kane and Dennis Wood.

Buck-It.

Bob Haight of Buck-It.

Again, Buck-It.

Again, Bob Haight.

Matt Morgan of Buck-It.

In the heat of some fierce soloing, Bob Haight of Buck-It.

With musical guests onstage, Buck-It.

Continuing the party, Serious Jones.

Again, Serious Jones.

More Serious Jones.

Dennis Wood of Serious Jones.

Tom Zattoni of Serious Jones.

Dennis Wood and Darren Elensky of Serious Jones.

Matt Hertwein and Darren Elensky of Serious Jones.

Darren Elensky of Serious Jones.

Rich “Doc” Horton of Serious Jones.

Calvin Walls of Serious Jones.

Closing out JB Vava Palooza, the Ozone Rangers.

Bob Mulhbauer of the Ozone Rangers.

Sam Timchak of the Ozone Rangers.

Again, Bob Muhlbauer.

Howard Wallace and Bob Muhlbauer of the Ozone Rangers.

Once again, Bob Muhlbauer.

Guest Matt Socoski sings during the Ozone Rangers’ set.

Again, Howard and Bob of the Ozone Rangers.

Bob demonstrates some real bottle-neck slide. Is that Coors Light bottle foaming, or is it just happy to see Bob?.

More bottleneck slide with Bob of the Ozone Rangers.

Guest Chris Kane plays some guitar with the Ozone Rangers.

Chris and Bob.

Electric Avenue main man Justin Powell joins in to sing Elton John’s “Crocodile Rock.”

Bob Muhlbauer and Justin Powell.

Nate Socoski and a guest tambourine player join in.

Nate Socoski.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: