· The Forums
· The Final Cut
MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE RECAP 6/26/06 PART I
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Jul 12, 2006 

MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE WEEKEND RECAP 6/26/06, PT. I

(JP’S NOTE: Due to the amount of photos, and the large number of performers and events I covered over the course of Millennium Music Conference weekend, I am doing the Millennium weekend recaps in three sections, one for each day. This is the first evening. I will post the other sections as they are completed.)

DUSTIN BURLEY @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 6/21/06

Before my annual Millennium Music Conference adventure began the following day, I caught a little bit of Dustin Burley’s weekly Wednesday performance at City Limits while I was conducting Pennsylvania Musician-related business with main man Claudio.

I didn’t catch any song titles in the 20-plus minutes I was there; Dustin seemed to concentrate on original tunes this night. But Dustin sounded in good form, and had a small audience of onlookers taking in the performance. I saw enough to confirm that all was still well with Dustin Burley Wednesdays at City Limits.

10th ANNUAL MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE, HARRISBURG 6/22-6/24/06

DAY ONE: THURSDAY 6/22/06

When it comes to traveling to Harrisburg for the Millennium Music Conference, my best-laid plans usually somehow go astray. Ideally, I always like to try to get to Harrisburg early- to mid-afternoon. But again this year, it didn’t happen. A hefty workload of stuff to get done before my departure, coupled with a last-minute meeting dumped on my lap, assured that I wouldn’t arrive at the state’s capitol until early evening, just before the start of the first night of showcases.

But at least I outran the thunderstorms. With temperatures pushing 90, the forecast called for severe storms to move eastward across the state during the late afternoon and early evening. As I was moving out of Q94’s signal range just past Millerstown at around 6 PM, I heard the EAS weather activation sound, alerting listeners to a severe storm warning for Cambria County. The storms were coming. Fortunately, I was well ahead of them, and would arrive at my hotel and showcase venue before their arrival.

My 2006 Millennium showcase experience began at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, where I spent most of my Thursday evening. The Mint from Lancaster was onstage as I arrived. Five members strong, The Mint played modern rock flavored by guitar and keys, capable of aggressive and intense moments. Several of their songs had surging arrangements that intensified as they progressed, culminating in heated, passionate resolutions. Guitarist Jonathan Decker and bassist Stephen Smoker swapped and shared lead vocal duties through The Mint's set. Jonathan, guitarist Brent Ulrich and keyboardist Nate Van Name all had an equal hand in shaping the group's sound with their various riffs and arrangements. Drummer Chris Narcisi provided the strong backing beat to it all. I detected slight reminders of U2 and Oasis in The Mint's sound, also a more agitated edge occasionally as well. Overall, I enjoyed what I heard from The Mint, and now understood why this band has been receiving the regional acclaim that they have.

The Mint opens the action at the Crowne Plaza Jim Beam Stage showcase.

Again, The Mint.

Jonathan Decker of The Mint.

Again, Jonathan Decker of The Mint.

Once again, The Mint.

One more time, The Mint.

As was the case the previous year, the Crowne Plaza was featuring entertainment on two stages, staggering band start times in half-hour intervals between the Jim Beam and Rolling Rock stages. So after The Mint ended their set on the Jim Beam stage, I headed across the hall/lobby to the Rolling Rock stage, where Maria Forgotten was under way.

From York, Maria Forgotten played a harder, more agitated brand of modern rock with swarming guitars, slamming drum beats and intense, feral vocals. The six members of Maria Forgotten were constant energy as they moved about the stage, even demonstrating choreographed moves along the way. Although their sound was aggressive, Maria Forgotten showed a knack for melody, and even the guitar section showed some harmony rhythms along the way. I caught one song title from their performance, "My Privilege;" I saw them do five songs in all. The crowd gathered in front of the stage seemed to dig this group and cheered approval; and for my first exposure to Maria Forgotten, I thought they provided an exciting, scathing performance.

Maria Forgotten and fans at the Crowne Plaza Rolling Rock Stage.

Again, Maria Forgotten.

One more time, Maria Forgotten.

Back across the hall I headed for the next band, Philadelphia's Jealousy Curve. Four members strong, Jealousy Curve's sound was hard-driving rock that also combined melody with aggression. This group had a central personality in frontman/guitarist Michael Leavy, a charismatic performer who communicated well with the audience while leading his bandmates - guitarist Steve LaFashia, bassist Michael O'Brien and drummer Shane Rozum - in executing the group's driving modern rock sound. Again, I didn't catch much in the way of song titles from Jealousy Curve's set; one song referenced Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall" during its intro before veering off on a more U2-ish direction, and the group ended their set with a song called "Selfishly." What I saw of Jealousy Curve was impressive, this band seemed to have some personality and signature to their sound, and left me interested in hearing more of what they had to offer.

Michael Leavy of The Jealousy Curve.

The Jealousy Curve entertains onlookers at the Millennium Music Conference.

Once again, Michael Leavy of The Jealousy Curve.

Once again, The Jealousy Curve.

One of the bands I most wanted to check out at this year's Millennium was performing next – Harrisburg's Red Room. Their self-titled CD was one of my favorite regional releases from last year, fueled by the strong, rangeful vocals of Jackie Cassatt. I was eager to see how Jackie and Red Room delivered in the live setting. Under way, Red Room was performing “Cry” from their CD, with a gathering crowd of onlookers arriving as they played. Jackie then strapped on her acoustic guitar and introduced a number called “I Found Me.” As the group continued to mix tunes from their CD and newer tunes, I not only marveled at how Jackie’s voice maintained its range and clarity, but how her husband A.J. Cassatt’s guitar playing shined in the live setting. Behind the drum kit, Zac Lanier was powerful yet steady and precise; Ricky Grove held it all together on bass. The group did more songs from the CD, such as “To Be Strong,” “On The Edge” and “Spinning;” some more new tunes, and broke out a number featuring A.J. singing lead. Red Room built momentum and crowd cheers as they went along, delivering their brand of classic-rooted, melody-based rock. Red Room showed me that they can deliver the goods in the live setting, and made my anticipation of their performance worth it.

Jackie Cassatt of Red Room.

Red Room.

Once again, Red Room.

Zac Lanier of Red Room.

Again, Jackie Cassatt of Red Room.

Once again, Red Room.

A.J. Cassatt of Red Room.

Following Red Room’s set, I headed back over to the Crowne’s Jim Beam stage for my first look at Movies With Heroes. From Lancaster, Movies With Heroes demonstrated a contemporary sound that blended sharp melodies with punkish drive and aggression. Keith Wilson handled the lion’s share of lead vocals, and shared vocal duties with bassist Jeff Royer on one song. Their lead guitarist, Chiemena Ukazim, was strong and executed some fiery and detailed solo work along the way. I didn’t catch much in the way of song titles, except “Believe” towards the end of their set. But for my first look at Movies With Heroes, I thought this group did a good job, and I like what I heard.

Movies With Heroes performs on the Jim Beam Stage.

Chiemena Ukazim of Movies With Heroes.

Keith Wilson of Movies With Heroes.

Once again, Movies With Heroes.

Again, Movies With Heroes.

Jeremy Bentley of Movies With Heroes.

I returned to the other side of the hall to see Drama Club; unfortunately, I only caught their last three songs. Singer/guitarist Nick Coyle was a former member of Lifer (the group that guitarist Aaron Fink and bassist Mark James Klepaski left to form Breaking Benjamin). Drama Club’s sound was hard-driving and melodic, with songs that were direct and to the point. From what I saw, I thought they were focused, and instrumentally and vocally on target. I wished I could have seen more from Drama Club; but what I saw was good, and the crowd seemed to appreciate their efforts as well.

The Drama Club.

Nick Coyle of The Drama Club.

Once again, The Drama Club.

Back at the Jim Beam stage, I then caught the reunited Julian Fist. After their initial successful run, Julian Fist went their separate ways in 2002, with drummer Kyle Taylor joining Condition K, and his brother, singer/guitarist Mitch Taylor, forming Rectifier. But the two reunited with guitarist Scott Michajluk and bassist Troy Lehman early this year; and the early word was that this group was picking up right where they left off. Julian Fist proceeded to prove just that during their set here at Millennium. The group stormed out the gates with one of their best known songs, “Denied,” from their 2001 CD Pushing Audio Platinum, and continued to mix older songs with several new numbers. Again, Julian Fist had the ingredients – strong melodies, hard-as-nails execution, enthusiasm, and instrumental chops. The group did songs from their CD such as “How Do I?,” “Turn You Down,” and their popular radio hit “Fly Away;” also newer songs such as “Garden,” “Whipping Boy” and their set-closer “Back Again.” The biggest surprise of their set was when the group broke out a song from Mitch’s Rectifier stint, “Drama Queen,” and the rowdy stagefront audience sang the words back – apparently knowing the words to this one better than “Fly Away,” which the group tried to turn into a crowd singalong! Julian Fist was poised and confident, and the crowd seemed happy to have them back in action – this set sent notice that Julian Fist is indeed back in business, and moving things forward.

Back together and rocking again, Julian Fist.

Mitch Taylor of Julian Fist.

Scott Michajluk of Julian Fist.

Again, Julian Fist.

Again, Scott Michajluk of Julian Fist.

Once again, Scott Michajluk of Julian Fist.

Kyle Taylor of Julian Fist.

Again, Mitch Taylor of Julian Fist.

Once again, Julian Fist.

Troy Lehman of Julian Fist.

I then headed back to the Rolling Rock stage across the hall for my first look at Panacea. From the Bloomsburg area, Panacea did a heavier grade of melody-based modern rock, with bassist Mike Morgan, guitarist Paul Young and drummer Kevin Harry crafting weighty, sharp grooves to serve as the vehicle for singer Tim Farley to launch his animated, emotion-laden vocals. Panacea’s melodies and instrumental execution were strong, and Tim’s passionate, powerful presentation sold each number. Again, I caught just a few of Panacea’s song titles; including “Say Anything” and “Day of Remembrance,” which was sent out to our servicemen. I came away impressed with my first look at Panacea; hopefully this will not be my last look at them.

Panacea rocks out on the Rolling Rock Stage.

Mike Morgan of Panacea.

Tim Farley of Panacea.

Kevin Harry of Panacea.

Once again, Panacea.

Again, Tim Farley of Panacea.

I then headed back across the hall to the Jim Beam stage for one more band before I departed the Crowne Plaza – The X’s. The X’s is the new band featuring former Fuel frontman Brett Scallions. Brett doesn’t front this group; he plays bass. John Law sings lead, Chris Goercke plays lead guitar, and Mike Maenza plays drums. The X’s played charged, high-octane, over-the-top hard rock with slight nods to Guns’N’Roses and Buckcherry. The X’s musical volatility was obvious as they launched into their rampaging opening number, “Wishing Well.” John Law’s presentation was feral and badass, and the group’s execution was go-for-broke. I stuck around for several more songs, including “Wrapped In Pretty Shades,” “Shut Your Eyes” and “Cocaine and Shotguns.” The X’s were certainly a more aggressive departure from Brett Scallions’ previous band. Their melodies, though, didn’t strike me on first listen to be as immediately catchy or compelling as Fuel; but The X’s did strike me as a strong live band, it will be interesting to see if they attract the fanfare and attention that Fuel did.

The X’s perform at the Crowne Plaza Jim Beam Stage.

Again, The X’s.

John Law of The X’s.

Once again, The X’s.

Chris Goercke of The X’s.

John Law and Brett Scallions of The X’s.

Brett Scallions of The X’s.

At this point, I departed Crowne Plaza to check out one more showcase performance while en route back to my hotel room at the Wormleysburg EconoLodge. I arrived at Angelina’s to catch the last band of the night there, Lancaster’s Too Many Empty. First, I was glad I showed up, not just to see Too Many Empty, but to give them an audience! It turned out that except for some bar staff, one or two patrons seated at the bar in the rear of the room, and members of at least one of the other bands who stuck around, I was Too Many Empty’s audience. The group completed their set-up, and soon kicked into their set. Singer Kat Rees, guitarist Mike Kealey, keyboardist Tim Dunbar, bassist Patrick Vincent and drummer Dean Sell introduced their brand of catchy, hook-laden original rock. Right off the bat, the center of attention was Kat with her dynamic, powerful and soulful voice, high-flying vocal range and abundant enthusiasm. Her bandmates supported her with a punchy, balanced, full-sounding backdrop. The group did the three songs from their debut EP; “Let It Go,” “Awake” and “Helping Hand;” they also did numbers such as “Same As I Do,” their closing tune, “Coming Around Again,” and more. Too Many Empty’s songs demonstrated strong hooks and variety, along with a balance of edginess and mainstream accessibility. In a nutshell, Too Many empty delivered crisp, rocking ear candy with sharp vocals, musicianship and professionalism. I felt bad that more people weren’t on hand to enjoy it.

Performing in foggy conditions early on (the production crew laid it a little to thick on the fog machine early on), Too Many Empty.

Again, Too Many Empty.

Mike Kealey of Too Many Empty.

Kat Rees of Too Many Empty.

Once again, Too Many Empty.

From a different angle, Too Many Empty.

Patrick Vincent of Too Many Empty.

Again, Kat Rees of Too Many Empty.

Tim Dunbar of Too Many Empty.

Once again, Too Many Empty.

Again, Patrick Vincent of Too Many Empty.

Yet again, Too Many Empty.

Once again, Patrick Vincent of Too Many Empty.

Playing to four walls and a handful of people at Angelina’s, Too Many Empty.

One more time, Too Many Empty.

Thus concluded my first day of Millennium 2006. I retired to my hotel room at the Wormleysburg EconoLodge, to rest and refuel for a full day of Millennium action the next day.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: