· The Final Cut
4TH OF JULY WEEKEND RECAP 7/5/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Jul 27, 2006 

4TH OF JULY WEEKEND RECAP 7/5/06

LOST HIGHWAY @ TRACKSIDE, CRESSON 6/30/06

I experienced a bit of a lost journey in my attempt to experience Lost Highway this night.

Ever since I heard that Dick Kos had assembled this new band project, I was eager to check it out. However, it took a while for our respective schedules to align properly for me to be able to see them; this Friday everything came together. That is…after taking an almost lost journey to see Lost Highway.

First, based on a radio ad, I thought Lost Highway was playing at the White Lady Tavern up the Buckhorn, so I drove up the hill on Route 36 to the White Lady, only to find their marquee listing Lost Highway for Saturday night, and no band there this night. Okay. So, knowing that Magoo’s in Cresson often runs bands on Friday nights, I proceeded down Route 36 to Ashville and then shot over to Cresson on Route 53 to see what was happening at Magoo’s. As it turned out, nothing. But I heard what sounded like a live band playing as a door opened a short distance down the street. I drove through the parking area across the street from Magoo’s, soon realizing the music was emanating from the newly-opened Trackside, Inc. I heard a band playing Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t You See.” From afar, it sounded like the Hurricanes. I then noted a van with a trailer parked outside. I instantly concluded that it was Felix & the Hurricanes playing at the Trackside. Since I see the Hurricanes as often as I do, I decided to bypass them this night and proceed up the hill to Ebensburg to investigate what band was performing at Yesterday’s Party. I found out upon arrival that Hair Force One - another band I just recently saw - was playing at Y-P, and judging by the parking lot, it appeared to be to a packed house. I saw a Johnstown Tribune-Democrat newspaper vending machine near Y-P, invested the 50 cents and leafed through the Trib’s “Weekend” magazine to see if there was anything interesting happening in Johnstown this night. I was disappointed to learn that karaoke and deejays dominated the J-town scene this night, and nothing there jumped out at me that made me want to log an extra 10-15 miles on my vehicle this night. But something else did catch my eye. Under the listing for Trackside in Cresson, Felix & the Hurricanes weren’t the band advertised - Lost Highway was. I did the “I could’ve had a V-8” forehead-slap as I realized my incorrect assessment of who was performing at Trackside earlier. My earlier assumption of the Hurricanes was wrong, and I retraced my path back down the hill on old Route 22 to Cresson to catch the remainder of Lost Highway - the band I originally set out to see to begin with!

Fortunately, there was close to a full set’s worth of music to go. Lost Highway was performing Rufus Thomas/Aerosmith’s “Walkin’ the Dog” as I arrived and took up a vantage point seat at a table already occupied by fellow Rockpager undercoverjoe. The group - singers/guitarists Dick Kos and Brian Cupples, drummer Les Baney and guest bassist/singer Mike “Griff” Griffiths (on loan from Homer’s Army this night) - continued in the Aerosmith and “Walk” veins with “Walk This Way,” before slowing things down for Eric Clapton’s “Wonderful Tonight,” during which Brian attracted some additional female accompaniment in the form of an exuberant lady fan. With Dick fronting the group, Lost Highway then did another song popularized by Clapton, “Tulsa Time,” and a hard-driving edition of Larry Williams/Ritchie Valens’ “Boney Maroney,” followed by the Brian-fronted treatment of ZZ Top’s “La Grange.” Lost Highway then introduced one of Brian’s original songs from his Backdraft catalog, the reggae-flavored “No Problem.” The group broke out a Kentucky Headhunters number, before performing Free’s “All Right Now,” which inspired the bartender to do her best dance moves atop the bar. With Griff singing lead, Lost Highway closed out the night with Dylan/Hendrix’s “All Along the Watchtower.”

I learned from Dick after the show that Lost Highway was in the midst of some transition, and that a new permanent bass player would be coming on board soon.

As it was this night, Lost Highway gave a good accounting of themselves. Their vocals were solid and on the mark, and although there were a few slight miscues along the way, this makeshift line-up of Lost Highway was on target more often than not. Most impressive were the guitar harmonies between Dick and Brian, especially during “No Problem,” where I had not heard dual guitar harmonies before. It was easy to envision the potential for this group of seasoned players once their bass player situation is stabilized.

I also must give kudos to Trackside ownership for their hospitality. One of the owners, Jean, brought out a serving of pigs-in-a-blanket for me to try - delicious!

It turned into a goose chase en route to finding Lost Highway this night, but the tunes and the Trackside hospitality made it worth it. I will be back to experience both in the near future!

Lost Highway rocks the Trackside in Cresson.

On loan from Homer's Army, Mike "Griff" Griffiths of Lost Highway.

Once again, Lost Highway.

Brian Cupples of Lost Highway.

TONY JANFLONE JR./ROCK & RYE @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 7/1/06

I had heard much about Pittsburgh’s Tony Janflone, Jr., in recent years, but had never seen his live show or heard his music before. But with Burgi’s Roundhouse fast becoming the Altoona area’s new gateway to the Pittsburgh music scene, Tony Janflone, Jr. was on the schedule to perform at Burgi’s this night - and I was there!

I thought I would arrive in time to see openers Rock & Rye, but they ended earlier than I expected, so I only got to see them do three songs - "Free Bird," Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" (Greg "Rock" Burley does a convincing Johnny), and Seven Mary Three's "Cumbersome."

I ate dinner while I watched Tony Janflone, Jr. and his band continue their set-up on the main stage. Eventually the group was ready to do their sound check. Even their sound check smoked! I knew that we were in for a good show.

Soon, Greg introduced Tony Janflone, Jr. and his band, and the show was ON! The group started off with a hot rendition of Booker T & the MG's "Green Onions," allowing all the band members - sax player Curtis Swift, keyboard man Richard Everett, bassist Jason Hollar and drummer Jack Mrozowski - to get warmed up. The party fully kicked into full gear as Tony and his band played a mixture of classic rock, blues, soul, country and more. As the group played Stealer's Wheel's "Stuck in the Middle with You," Tony - utilizing a wireless headphone mic and guitar set-up - began to work the Burgi's complex, playfully coaxing seated audience members to sing along in between his own bursts of guitar solo virtuosity and tasty solos from keyboard man Richard and sax man Curtis. The group segued through the Beatles' "Get Back" and into Stevie Ray Vaughan's "House Is A Rockin,'" before Richard sang lead on a stellar version of Pink Floyd's "Money." Tony then introduced some 70's soul in the form of Rufus'/Stevie Wonder's "Tell Me Something Good." After ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man," Tony and band delivered another quality instrumental workout with Santana's "Europa," before breaking out a funky read of Hank Williams' "Hey Good Lookin.'" Next was a version of Buddy Guy/Willie Dixon's "Let Me Love You Baby," before a Texas blues-flavored original song and Wilson Pickett's "Mustang Sally" to finish the set.

During the intermission, the Rock and Rye contingent and I got to speak with Tony and his bandmates. I learned that although this was Tony's first public gig in the Altoona area, he was no stranger to these parts, having played private functions at Lakemont Park and the Blair County Convention Center. We found Tony and his bandmates to be very down to earth and easy to speak with. Greg even got his guitar autographed by Tony.

The attendance this night was the typical trend for Burgi's. A healthy-sized dinner crowd was on hand early on, but began to diminish as diners finished their meals and exited the venue. The diehard music fans stuck around, though, and among the fans remaining, it was unanimous - Tony Janflone, Jr. was kicking ass and taking names so far!

Soon, Tony and his band returned to their instruments and reconvened the music, kicking off with the blues double-shot of Robert Johnson's "Sweet Home Chicago" and Elias McDaniel's "Before You Accuse Me," during which Tony invited "Rye" - Ryan Clark - onstage to jam some guitar. Bassist Jason then sang lead on a rendition of "Iko Iko," before Tony introduced another original number, a slow blues instrumental composed about his grandparents, entitled "I Wish You Didn't Have to Go." This turned into an incredible showcase for Tony's exemplary guitar skills; the man just let it rip! Tony and his band then picked the tempo back up with Billy Preston's "Will It Go Round in Circles," and continued with Cream's "Badge" and Santana's "Smooth." Keyboard player Richard again inherited lead mic duties to sing the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues," which segued directly into Stevie Ray's "Pride and Joy, as a frisky female audience member got up on the dance floor and then the stage, bumping and grinding with saxman Curtis, before chasing Tony around the dance floor as he played! After successfully outrunning the vixen, Tony started into a version of "Hey Joe," which turned into one of the most impressive live treatments of this song I have ever seen on a local stage - Tony's hands were virtually a blur as he masterfully drilled some scorching solowork through the song's nearly ten-minute duration, leaving audience members picking up their lower jaws off the floor! In-freaking-credible! Tony and his band then closed out the night with a bright and funky rendition of Average White Band's "Cut the Cake," with saxman Curtis' and drummer Jack's talents given the spotlight.

Needless to say at this point, Tony Janflone, Jr. put on a clinic at Burgi's this night! Not only was he an astonishing guitar player, but he was a showman and an entertainer as well. He knew how to work the crowd to make them part of the show, maintaining eye contact as he maneuvered about the Burgi's environs. Tony delivered it all with heart and enthusiasm, sealing the deal with a smile all the time he played. His band was excellent as well, and Tony frequently deferred the spotlight to his bandmates to let them shine.

On top of the performance itself, was the clean sound mix Tony's production cast delivered, using Burgi's in-house system. I've seen other bands and sound people struggle to understand the system and the odd room acoustics that are Burgi's, but Tony's crew knew exactly what they were doing, and had this system sounding fine!

At night's end, we stood around in amazement after the spectacle we had just witnessed! We again spoke with Tony, and it was the unanimous consensus among the remaining audience members and Burgi's management that not only did we want a return visit from Tony, but we were hellbent on getting the word out on the show we witnessed this night, to let people know so he would see a packed house when he does return. So I will serve notice right here, right now - Tony Janflone, Jr. is a must-see when he returns to Burgi's, and I highly recommend that you check out his next visit. You definitely will not be disappointed!

Rock and Rye opened the evening for Tony Janflone, Jr. at Burgi's.

Ryan Clark of Rock & Rye sits in on guitar with Tony Janflone, Jr.'s band.

Again, Ryan Clark.

Ryan jams in front of Tony Janflone, Jr.

Once again, Ryan Clark performs with Tony Janflone, Jr.'s band.

Ryan looks like he is having a good time!

Tony Janflone, Jr.

Tony Janflone, Jr., working those guitar strings.

Again, Tony Janflone, Jr., firing off some hot solo work.

Tony Janflone, Jr. and his band.

Again, Tony Janflone, Jr. and his band.

Richard Everett of Tony Janflone, Jr.'s band.

Jason Hollar of Tony Janflone, Jr.'s band.

Jason Hollar and Jack Mrozowski of Tony Janflone, Jr.'s band.

Once again, Tony Janflone, Jr.

More guitar fireworks with Tony Janflone, Jr.

Yet again, Tony Janflone, Jr.

Curtis Swift of Tony Janflone, Jr.'s band dances with a female reveler onstage.

Once again, Curtis Swift and a female fan, busting some dance moves onstage.

LOUDMOUTH @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/2/06

It is usually unusual for Pellegrine's to book a first-time band on a major holiday weekend such as the 4th of July. But that was the case this night, as Clearfield County's Loudmouth was making their first ever Pellegrine's appearance before a holiday weekend crowd. Would they benefit from the holiday weekend and have a celebrant crowd in house, or would Loudmouth face the fate that greets most new bands in this town, an empty room and indifference?

Arriving early during Loudmouth's second set, I'm happy to report the former scenario. Pellegrine's had a good-sized crowd on hand, and there were actually people on the floor and dancing as singer/guitarist Brandon Giuffre, bassist/singer John Cimino and drummer/singer Michael Hughes played their bright mixture of current favorites, 80’s and 90's gems. The second set featured versions of current and recent favorites like Fallout Boy's "Sugar We're Going Down," White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" and Jet's "Do You Wanna Be My Girl;" along with an interesting fusion of Ozzy's "No More Tears" and Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall," Soft Cell's "Tainted Love," The Vapors' "Turning Japanese," a few Nirvana tunes, Seven Mary Three’s “Cumbersome” and Eve 6’s “Inside Out” to close out the set.

Loudmouth’s nightcap set also featured a lively variety of 80’s, 90’s and current rock. The group kept Pelly’s dance floor active with tunes from Foo Fighters, Metallica, Bush, AC/DC, Neil Young, Doors and more. Highlights included the Bon Jovi double-shot of “You Give Love a Bad Name” into “Living On A Prayer,” the Ramones double-shot of “I Wanna Be Sedated” and “Blitzkrieg Bop,” a version of Sammy Hagar’s “Mas Tequila,” and the night-closing rendition of U2’s “Where the Streets Have No Name.”

It all sounded crisp and vibrant. Mike’s powerful and precise drumbeats combined with the tight tandem of John’s bass and Brandon’s guitar to propel the set along. Loudmouth’s vocals and harmonies were on target, and their pacing was tight and together. They maintained the crowd’s interest, and were rewarded with that crowd maintaining a steady presence on the dance floor.

It was a good Pelly’s debut for Loudmouth. Here’s hoping the band is able to get a second date soon, so they can capitalize on the success of this night and finally start to develop a good Altoona fan base.

Michael Hughes of Loudmouth.

Brandon Giuffre of Loudmouth.

Again, Michael Hughes of Loudmouth.

Loudmouth rocks the dance floor at Pellegrine's.

John Cimino and Brandon Giuffre of Loudmouth.

Once again, Loudmouth.

Once again, Michael Hughes of Loudmouth.

John Cimino of Loudmouth.

John Cimino of Loudmouth with some happy fans.

One more time, John Cimino of Loudmouth.

“SUMMER THUNDER” @ DELGROSSO’S AMUSEMENT PARK, TIPTON 7/4/06

In keeping with recent tradition, I ended up again attending the annual “Summer Thunder” fireworks display offered up by Delgrosso’s Amusement Park in Tipton. I have a friend who has parents living in Tipton, and every year the gang of friends is invited down to park at their house and take in the fireworks. So the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse and yours truly both headed to Tipton early, arriving around 8 PM, to enjoy a few brews and watch the fireworks - both the scheduled official fireworks and the backyard displays.

Every year I have done this (the past 4 or 5 years at least), I have been amazed by the fireworks just sent up by the local Tipton townspeople prior to the main event at Delgrosso’s Park. This town is 4th of July Central, and it was even more so this year! Tipton sounded like a battle zone as fireworks of all sizes, shapes and trajectories hit the skies over the town. We were particularly impressed by the fireworks display set off by the neighbor situated directly behind the house we were based at. This guy’s fireworks budget must have rivaled Delgrosso’s Park’s, based on the number and caliber of the fireworks he was launching. This neighbor was sending up the big professional caliber fireworks from his own backyard, and it was wild! We saw a few police cruisers driving past on Tipton’s main drag, but I think they pretty much conceded that they weren’t going to stop all the illegal fireworks from being detonated in the town this night, there were just too many of them to keep up with!

As 10 PM rolled around, we walked from the house over to Delgrosso’s Park, where thousands of people had driven in to see the big fireworks display. This night always draws so many people, that the state police are positioned at the park entrance to help direct traffic. Delgrosso’s parking lot looks like a huge tailgate, as people are camped out by their cars, firing up grills and getting fired up for the big display. As we usually do, we made our way through the lot and all the way back behind the RV parking section, and set up shop right on the yellow police tape border line on the edge of the plot where the fireworks are sent up - point blank range! We ran into City Limits bar-keep Davey and chatted with him; he was there with one of the RV contingents.

At the stroke of 10:30, the fireworks display was sent up. As always, it was a pretty impressive display, especially from point blank range. And although we could hear a few in the distance, we didn’t carry along any radios to follow along with the fireworks on Froggy 98. I did recognize the special part of this year’s display that was dedicated in memory of former broadcaster Tom Riley, who was the narrative voice of this event for a number of years before his unexpected passing last year. This year’s display lasted around 25 minutes, a little bit shorter than the usual 30 minute displays of years past. We did notice at least one firework that didn’t go as planned and detonated near the ground at the launch site.

After the fireworks ended, we retreated back to the house to relax while all the traffic cleared out of Tipton. Apparently the townspeople had exhausted their caches of domestic/illegal/homemade fireworks, as very few fireworks could be seen or heard in the town after the Delgrosso’s display ended. The 4th was on a Tuesday night this year, perhaps everybody had to go to work the next morning. By around 12:30 AM, the traffic had cleared out enough that we embarked on the return trip to Altoona. In all, it was a fun time.

It was a fireworks gala over the rooftops of Tipton leading up to the Delgrosso's Park main event.

A crew of crazies taking in the fireworks: Betty, Aric, Guv'nor Jesse and Davey (City Limits).

Let the official fireworks begin...Below and uninterrupted, more 4th of July fireworks for your viewing pleasure

Enjoying spinning fireworks, Guv'nor Jesse.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: