· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 7/31/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Oct 03, 2006 

WEEKEND RECAP 7/31/06

HALF TEMPTED @ WING-OFF, LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 7/27/06

Another Thursday, another Wing-Off. This week’s Wing-Off was rocking, courtesy of Half Tempted.

The weather forecast was for stormy weather, and I checked the weather radar map online before heading over to Lakemont Park. Sure enough, storm cells were on the approach from the west, and it looked like they would make their unwelcome arrival right square in the middle of the Wing-Off. Hardcore wing connoisseur that I was, the threat of thunder, lightning and rain was not going to deter me. I packed my rain “poncho,” a garbage bag with holes cut out for my head and arms. Bring it on!

Judging by the initial crowd at Lakemont Park, either nobody was minding the weather forecast, or the stormy forecast wasn’t scaring off too many other wing-eaters, either. A good crowd was already on hand as frontman/guitarist Ron Dalansky, bassman “Big” Jim Ricotta and drummer Steve McCulley rocked through classics from The Who, Poison, Brownsville Station, Georgia Satellites, AC/DC, Steppenwolf, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith and more. I mulled over the wing vendor selection for this week, and opted for Ruby Tuesday’s, obtaining a dozen hot and a half dozen barbecue wings. Good flavor, but small wings – they must have been thinning out the local pigeon population again!

Just about on schedule, the storm clouds darkened, and the rain started up during the intermission. I quickly retreated under one of the pavilions to feast on the wings and wait the storm out. A few close lightning shots and a torrential downpour made things somewhat tense for a few moments. As the storm began to move past, Half Tempted cleverly directed their speakers towards the pavilions where folks were keeping dry, and soon started their second set as the rain tapered to a drizzle.

As Half Tempted resumed the rock with tunes from Drivin’N’Cryin,’ Kiss, Judas Priest and Pink Floyd, the drizzle tapered even further to a sprinkle, and people began to emerge from the pavilions to return to the stagefront picnic table area. Soon I donned my garbage bag poncho and joined them, arriving just as guest Denise “Nece” Neely belted out voice on AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long.” Nece remained on the lead mic as Half Tempted stretched it into an AC/DC block, following with “Whole Lotta Rosie” and “Highway to Hell.” With more people joining the stagefront party, Half Tempted went for broke with nonstop rock from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Twisted Sister, Nirvana, Deep Purple, Ramones, Cheap Trick and more to finish out the evening.

Stormy weather didn’t do much to dampen this party. Half Tempted and wings made for an alluring combination that kept the crowd around for the duration. Altoona’s Thursday night summertime party would not be denied!

Half Tempted rocks the Lakemont Park Wing-Off.

Big Jim of Half Tempted.

Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted.

Again, Half Tempted.

It’s a whole lotta ‘Nece,’ as Denise Neely steps up to belt out some voice with Half Tempted.

Folks are partying down as Denise and Half Tempted rock on.

Again, Denise Neely.

Half Tempted’s party continues.

Once again, Half Tempted.

As the sun sets, Half Tempted.

More revelers gather in front of the stage as Half Tempted’s Wing-Off party continues.

Steve McCulley of Half Tempted.

Yet again, Half Tempted.

Two happy and exhausted Wing-Off revelers.

BLUE NUMBER NINE @ “SUMMER SOUNDS OF JAZZ,” CURTIN MALL, ALTOONA 7/28/06

Sometimes, a band and a town just hit it off.

Enter New Jersey’s Blue Number Nine and Altoona. Blue Number Nine first made friends with the Altoona area during their appearances at the annual Blair County Arts Festival. This led into the group being invited to perform at the Blair County Arts Foundation’s “Summer Sounds of Jazz” concert series at downtown Altoona’s Curtin Mall. That, in turn, has led to a booking at a house party in Hollidaysburg this past spring, an appearance on Q94’s “Backyard Rocker,” and more Altoona appearances…including this night, Blue Number Nine’s return to the Curtin Mall for the “Summer Sounds of Jazz” concert series.

I arrived towards the end of the first set, and Blue Number Nine clearly had the party going! A big crowd spanning kids to seniors was looking on as Blue Number Nine – this day singer/flute player Stefanie Seskin, guitarist Luca Tozzi, bassist Marco Accattatis, drummer Jack Gourdine II, and backing singers Camari Frame and Chris Vaindirlis – performed their upbeat, Latin-flavored original number “Dance Dance Dance,” staging a limbo contest with some young fans in front of the stage. After another song, the group finished their first set with the rocking “Coming Back Human.”

During the intermission, I made my way through the crowd to the grub and brews. The food was furnished by Clem’s Ribs; it had been almost a year since I last savored Clem’s – in fact, at this every event!

After the intermission, Blue Number Nine commenced their nightcap set. The two backing singers, Camari and Chris, took the spotlight to sing lead on a rendition of Stevie Wonder/Rufus’ “Tell Me Something Good,” which prompted a few youngsters to dance in front of the stage. The group continued with an assortment of mostly original songs, blending elements of funk, jazz, soul, pop and rock into a lively and tasty mixture. Some of their selections included “Cog in a Wheel,” the Camari-fronted “My Life My Time,” songs from Stefanie’s solo album The Edge of Reason and more. My favorite highlight was during the song “Dig My Hands,” when Stefanie and Luca engaged in a flute/guitar duel, matching each other passage for passage. Blue Number Nine ended the show with the uplifting “Love the Beat,” where Stefanie, Camari and Chris took their party to the crowd, and Stefanie played the pied piper and led dancing audience members in a parade around the Curtin Mall.

As expected, Blue Number Nine delivered an excellent show. These folks could sing, dance and play their instruments! Stefanie, Camari and Chris all displayed vibrant and soulful singing voices, and provided some great two- and three-part harmonizing along the way. Stefanie, Luca, Marco and Jack were equally stunning on their instruments; Luca’s guitar solo work was mesmerizing! Beyond their obvious musical abilities, Blue Number Nine entertained and delivered a show! The group mixed in choreography and dance moves, friendly banter with the audience, and a continually playful and pleasant vibe that made the audience part of the party. Stefanie, Camari and Chris danced with youngsters in front of the stage, and even Marco brought his bass out to engage stagefront dancers during the performance.

It made for an enjoyable good time. Blue Number Nine’s blend of fun vibes and stunning musical chops, coupled with Clem’s Ribs, cold brews and a receptive and appreciative audience, made for a fun Friday evening at the Curtin Mall. And after overhearing Blair County Arts Foundation executive director Kate Shaffer tell Stefanie “See you next year” after show’s end, it’s probably safe to expect Blue Number Nine to return to party down in Altoona in 2007 if not sooner. And when they do, I recommend checking this band out – you’ll be glad you did!

Blue Number Nine entertains the masses at the Curtin Mall.

Stefanie Seskin of Blue Number Nine.

With some young fans dancing along, Blue Number Nine.

Again, Blue Number Nine.

Camari Frame and Chris Vaindirlis of Blue Number Nine.

With Camari singing some lead, Blue Number Nine.

Once again, Blue Number Nine.

The party continues with Blue Number Nine.

Again, Stefanie Seskin of Blue Number Nine.

Piping away on flute, Sefanie Seskin of Blue Number Nine.

Stefanie Seskin and Marco Accattatis of Blue Number Nine.

Luca Tozzi of Blue Number Nine.

A bass player having some fun; Marco Accattatis of Blue Number Nine.

Once again, Blue Number Nine.

With their young fans dancing again, Blue Number Nine.

During the party’s late stages, Stefanie, Camari and Chris bring the festivities out into the Curtin Mall crowd.

Once again making magic on his guitar, Luca Tozzi of Blue Number Nine.

NINE PLANET TOUR @ THE BAR, ALTOONA 7/28/06

I decided to keep it in the “nines” this night – after opening the evening with Blue Number Nine, I headed to The Bar in Altoona for my first look at local rising force Nine Planet Tour.

The Bar was packed as I arrived early during Nine Planet Tour’s first set. Very quickly I realized the excellent singing voice of frontlady Erika Marino as she belted out powerful voice on renditions of Janis’ “Me and Bobby McGee” and Alannah Myles’ “Black Velvet.” Guitarist Brendan Burns then assumed lead mic duties as the group did one of their original songs, "Stone Walls," featuring some nice harmonizing between Brendan and Erika. The group then broke out a new cover song they just learned, Van Morrison's "Brown-Eyed Girl," and followed with the Eagles' "Hotel California." Nine Planet Tour then shifted towards country as they did the Dixie Chicks' "Hole In My Head." The group then ended their set with the Beatles' "Hey Jude," which became a buzzed/drunken audience singalong (hey, buzzed singing is drunken singing!).

Thus far, I was enjoying what I was hearing from Nine Planet Tour. Erika's voice was quite impressive on what I heard so far, and the rest of the group – Brendan, guitarist Eric Wertz, bassist Kelly Montgomery and drummer Evan Rutherford – was doing a solid job. The Bar crowd evidently thought likewise, and were clearly enjoying the festivities thus far; more were on the way.

Nine Planet Tour's second set launched with Aerosmith's "Dream On," and the group again mixed classic rock, select current numbers, oldies and some original tunes. The group stage-tested a version of James' "Laid," which they had just learned, and proceeded with favorites from Fleetwood Mac, Janis Joplin, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Ben E. King; plus another original tune, "Up and Away."

The Bar remained busy as Nine Planet Tour commenced their final set of the night with Heart's "Barracuda." During the next tune, the B-52's "Love Shack," Erika introduced the rest of the band. The group continued with the Weezer double-shot of "say It Ain't So" and "Undone – The Sweater Song," along with tunes from Guns'N'Roses, Radiohead, Joan Jett, Aerosmith and more; ending with a requested encore performance of Janis' "Me and Bobby McGee."

In all, a good evening for this up-and-coming local group. Erika Marino's voice and the group's variable song selection stood out as high points. There were a few minor glitches along the way, but nothing that more stage time won't resolve. Nine Planet Tour showed that they indeed have the tools to be prominent on the 'Toona music scene very soon - keep an eye out for them.

Nine Planet Tour, rocking The Bar.

Again, Nine Planet Tour.

Evan Rutherford of Nine Planet Tour.

Eric Wertz of Nine Planet Tour.

Erika Marino of Nine Planet Tour.

Once again, Erika Marino of Nine Planet Tour.

AFRICAN AMERICAN HERITAGE FESTIVAL @ PENN STATE ALTOONA 7/29/06

This day, I decided to check out this year's edition of the African-American Heritage Festival, happening at Penn State Altoona. Advance publicity for this year's event was very limited, and I wasn't aware what the entertainment slate was for this year. As I have witnessed some impressive blues, R&B and gospel acts at this event in years past, I thought I'd swing by and see if any such entertainment was in the cards for this year.

As it turned out, this year's entertainment leaned more modern; towards dance performances, rap and hip-hop. I watched the tail end of the South Side Steppers as they demonstrated their fast feet abilities. Next on the main pavilion stage was the Local Talent Showcase, allowing local amateur performers to step up and display their talents. I saw several noteworthy performers here; including a young singer named Cassie who did a strong rendition of Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You;" a rapper named Spoon who did a clever message rap called "From a Thug's Point of View;" Elijah Harris, who demonstrated a powerful voice on a couple of rousing gospel numbers; and Face Off Muzik with two hip-hop numbers. There was also a dance-off between several female dance teams, including a few from Altoona, and a York dance troupe called Dynasty, who won.

After the Local Talent Showcase ended, the headlining attraction for this year's Festival soon took the stage, Hypnotik, a hip-hop ensemble from Pittsburgh. This provided what was the most interesting – and perhaps most revealing – moment of the Festival for me. Hypnotik had apparently been brought in to provide entertainment for the younger teenage audience. But as Hypnotik's members started their beats and invited youngsters to come up to the stage for the show, very few did! There was a large population of younger people present on the grounds, and many had been at this same stage just minutes earlier for the dance-off and Local Talent Showcase. But very few were showing any interest in these headliners. I don't know if they weren't interested in the out-of-town entertainment vs. the earlier local talent, or if they had already had their fill of hip-hop for the day and didn't want to hear more. But whatever the reason, they were not showing the least bit of interest in Hypnotik. I watched for several minutes as Hypnotik first invited, and then pleaded with the crowd to come up to the stage. After watching the group do several of their numbers, I departed the Festival.

Although this year's entertainment slate at the African American Heritage Festival won't make me forget the years when Code: Blue or the Dixie Hummingbirds played this event, I saw a few promising singers and dancers, and enjoyed some good food as well.

During the local Talent Showcase, this young lady, Cassie, displayed a strong voice as she sang some Whitney Houston.

Also showing a powerful voice during the Local Talent Showcase, Elijah Harris.

Demonstrating their hip hop flavors during the Local Talent Showcase, Face Off Muzik.

Pittsburgh’s Hypnotik, trying to lure a crowd at the African American Heritage Festival.

Once again, Hypnotik.

RIBBON GRASS @ CONEMAUGH TWP. FIRE DEPT. WING FLING, GREENHOUSE PARK, JOHNSTOWN 7/29/06

After leaving the African-American Heritage Festival, I roadtripped to the Johnstown side of the mountain to see how the Flood City did a wing-off. The occasion was the Conemaugh Township Volunteer Fire Company Wing Fling at Greenhouse Park, with Ribbon Grass providing the tunes.

Greenhouse Park was already massively congested as I arrived, and followed the succession of parking attendants as they directed me to a remote parking space seemingly somewhere in the other end of Somerset County. As I made my way up to the hub of the activity near the stage, I observed the confusing logjam, as cars and bikes parking and departing from the Wing Fling swerved around wing-eaters, kids, bikers and more. I eventually arrived at the stage vicinity and set up shop, staking a strategic space with my folding chair and taking in the proceedings.

Ribbon Grass already had the party cranking on all cylinders, with abundant dancers in front of the stage and having fun. As I arrived, the group started into Big & Rich’s “Save A Horse Ride a Cowboy,” with keyboard man Dave Single brandishing his violin. Dave, frontlady Terri Single, bassist Ron Gallucci, guitarist Jim Mirkovich and drummer Mark Vatavuk kept the dance area busy with renditions of Abba’s “Dancing Queen,” the Village People’s “YMCA,” Sam & Dave’s “Soul Man,” Kelly Clarkson’s “Since You’ve Been Gone,” Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar on Me,” Shania Twain’s “Man I Feel Like A Woman,” and the B-52’s “Love Shack” to end the set.

While Ribbon Grass played, I was discovered by fellow Rockpager onetooloud, who arrived at about the same time as I did. I eventually ventured into the mass of humanity that was the wing and beer serving area. It was chaotic, as I had to locate the ticket-purchasing line, in order to have tickets to then stand in the wing and beer serving lines. For the wings, I opted for Katie’s Place and their hot garlic and Cajun wings; both varieties were pretty respectable.

And the band played on. Ribbon Grass’ next set kicked off with a guest singer named Mike, helping out on Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead or Alive.” As the dance floor area again filled up, Ribbon Grass kicked up the tempo with Lit’s “My Own Worst Enemy,” and continued with more of a funk, hip-hop and dance groove lean; interrupted only by a rendition of Dexy’s Midnight Runners’ “Come On Eileen,” in which Dave again rosined up his bow brandished violin once again.

As night fell on the Wing Fling, Ribbon Grass’ nightcap set launched in the country vein with another number from Mrs. Mutt Lange (Shania Twain), “Any Man of Mine,” with Dave again showing off his violin talents. This set ventured between country, hair band rock with Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me,” funk/rap with Salt’n’Pepa’s “Push It,” southern rock with Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama,” and to close the night, Billy Joel’s “Piano Man,” with special guest lead singer Jim Jacoby. There were other songs as well, but I was embroiled in conversation with another fellow Rockpager, bugglez24, and wasn’t paying close attention.

Ribbon Grass kept the party continually upbeat and moving, and gave the dancing throngs no reason to want to sit down. This group offered something for everyone, and gave the crowd ample opportunity to burn off those new wing pounds on the dance floor area.

It was crowded and chaotic, but still a good time, as Johnstown showed that it, too, knew how to throw a wing-eating bash.

Terri and Dave Single of Ribbon Grass.

Ribbon Grass kept the pavilion dance area packed during the Wing Fling.

Showing his talents on violin, Dave Single of Ribbon Grass.

Once again, Ribbon Grass with a packed dance crowd.

He hides in the back, but the Rockpage camera caught him this time; Jim Mirkovich of Ribbon Grass.

Ron Gallucci of Ribbon Grass.

Praying for this party never to end, Terri Single of Ribbon Grass.

Once again, Ron Gallucci of Ribbon Grass.

PIVOT @ BOULEVARD GRILL, JOHNSTOWN 7/29/06

After departing the Wing Fling, I headed to the Boulevard Grill to check in with Pivot.

The Boulevard Grill was doing a brisk business as I arrived during the intermission before Pivot’s first set began. I arrived too late to catch the opening band this night, a Ramones tribute act called Tomorrow The World. Eyewitness accounts said that this band was good.

Soon, the crowd began gathering at the front of the stage, in anticipation of Pivot’s arrival as a musical prelude sounded through the speakers. Soon singer Mark Lux, guitarists Jay Snyder and Mike Lepley, bassist Mike Wozniak and drummer Jason Kirchner exploded onto the stage and set the crowd into a frenzy with Rage Against the Machine’s “Guerrilla Radio,” with Mark clad in a wig early on. Pivot throttled the house with a blend of original songs, and cover material from two sources: Rage and Tool. Along the way, the group introduced original tunes such as the heavy and volatile “Mud,” “River Entrance,” their dedication to the late Josh Moore, “Moore,” “Y,” “Redefine” and more. They also celebrated Tool with renditions of “Opiate,” “Stinkfist,” “Parabol/Parabola,” and to end the night, “Sober” and “Aenima,” which both became crowd singalongs.

Pivot was in good form, with Jay, the two Mike’s and Jason laying down the heavy and volatile backdrop for Mark to deliver his all-out vocal presentation. Again, Mark rode the emotional rollercoaster throughout the performance, ranging from understated to full rage, coiling and recoiling like a snake ready to strike, and letting the music and mood guide his muse. The Boulevard Grill crowd hung on every moment, letting Pivot’s wild and heavy musical ride trigger their fury.

In at least one case, a fan or two got carried away, as two holes were punched in one of the walls near the stage in the show’s late stages. Here’s hoping this display of idiocy doesn’t cost Pivot future gigs at this venue.

It was another powerful Pivot display, and with the group’s first CD release imminent, this was just the show to get me fired up for their new studio creation. Pivot is definitely firing on all cylinders again, and I anticipate hearing the new CD and seeing more live displays.

Mark Lux of Pivot.

Again, Mark Lux of Pivot.

Mike Wozniak and Mark Lux of Pivot.

Sitting down on the job, Mark Lux of Pivot.

Once again, Pivot’s charismatic frontman, Mark Lux.

A packed crowd at the front of the stage responds to Mark Lux of Pivot.

Mike Lepley of Pivot.

Jay Snyder of Pivot.

Once again, Jay Snyder of Pivot.

Again, Mike Lepley of Pivot.

Pivot, rocking the Boulevard Grill.

Again, Mike Wozniak of Pivot.

Raising his beer to the crowd, Mark Lux of Pivot.

Jay Snyder and Mike Lepley of Pivot.

Jason Kirchner of Pivot.

Once again, Mark Lux of Pivot.

Yet again, Mark Lux of Pivot.

One more time, Pivot.

AGONY HILL @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/30/06

I first saw Agony Hill a couple of summers ago, during Backstreet Law’s annual “Summerfest” outdoor bash in Wellsboro. Based in Corning, New York, Agony Hill displayed some good energy on the punkish side during that show, and I wondered if they might someday spread their sound into our neck of the woods.

This night, they did. Agony Hill was playing their first Altoona appearance at Pellegrine’s. And a good-sized crowd was on hand to greet this newcomer band as I arrived late during their first set; in time to hear a punked-up rendition of Katrina & the Waves’ “Walking On Sunshine” and Weezer’s “Beverly Hills” to close out the set.

Decked out in white dress shirts and ties, singer/guitarist Eric Bleiler, bassist Joe Wakefield, guitarist Andy Krise and drummer Richard Haberkern mixed high-powered current and classic rock favorites during their second set. The current and recent songs included numbers from Bowling For Soup, Sublime, 311, Rancid, Blur and Harvey Danger; the group also broke out high-velocity takes on Cheap Trick’s “Surrender” and “I Want You to Want Me,” Johnny Cash’ “Ring of Fire” and Nena’s “99 Redballoons.”

Agony Hill’s presentation retained that high velocity and punkish bite I recalled from their Summerfest performance. Overall, the group seemed a bit livelier now than then; they’re more mobile and move about more on stage. Thus far, the Pellegrine’s audience was digging this new band, and the dance floor action for them was constant.

Agony Hill’s nightcap set stepped up the energy level even further. After the group teased Metallica’s “For Whom the Bell Tolls,” they mixed it up between favorites from Green Day, Good Charlotte, Ramones, Clash, House Of Pain, Twisted Sister, Beastie Boys and more. Along the way, Agony Hill introduced one of their original tunes, “Enough;” drew multiple women onto the stage during House Of Pain’s “Jump Around,” and smoothly segued a punk-geared take on CCR’s “Suzie Q” into Rage’s “Killing in the Name.”

Agony Hill passed their first Altoona test with flying colors. They kept the crowd in front of the stage and dancing, something most newbies at this venue haven’t been successful in accomplishing recently. It was a good first night in the ‘Toona, boding well for the future of this band in the Altoona area.

Making their Altoona debut, Agony Hill at Pellegrine’s.

Eric Bleiler of Agony Hill.

Eric Bleiler of Agony Hill rallies the Pelly’s crowd.

Again, Agony Hill.

With some ladies dancing on stage, Agony Hill.

More party mayhem with Agony Hill.

Andy Krise of Agony Hill.

Joe Wakefield of Agony Hill with one of his new Altoona fans.

Agony Hill’s party continues.

Still more fun times with Agony Hill.

Again, Joe Wakefield of Agony Hill.

Once again, Agony Hill.

Richard Haberkern of Agony Hill.

Once again, Eric Bleiler of Agony Hill.

One more time, Joe Wakefield of Agony Hill.

JP’s HAIKU

Ribbon Grass Wing Fling
Good wings, huge crowd, fun party
Parking lot chaos

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1