WEEKEND RECAP 8/21/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Nov 13, 2006 

WEEKEND RECAP 8/21/06

SQUARE ONE/BORNE & THE BEANSTALK @ WING-OFF, LAKEMONT PARK 8/17/06

The last Wing-Off? Already!!??

Alas, the last one had arrived. The final Lakemont Park Wing-Off had arrived, marking the beginning of the inevitable downhill slide out of summer season and towards fall. Square One and Born & the Beanstalk would provide the music while Wing-Off participants feasted one more time.

Singer/guitarist Don Osborn, bassist/singer Bill Hunter and drummer Jeff Crownover were under way with Bob Seger's "Betty Lou's Getting Out Tonight" as I arrived and procured my wings, this night featuring a dozen ranch and a dozen hot wings from Gianni's in Hollidaysburg. After a version of another Bob Seger tune, "Turn the Page," the stage went dead with a technical problem. After power was restored, Bill remarked "We blew a little fuse," to which Don responded "And I liked it." The group then did Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love," welcoming a special guest to join in on guitar, Bill's son, Matt. Matt remained onstage for ZZ Top's "Tush," and the group's set-closing rendition of the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues."

During Square One's intermission, Don's son, Shaun Osborn, and Ben Bowers - Born & the Beanstalk - took the stage to perform some acoustic selections, including versions of David Bowie's "Space Oddity," the Eagles' "Seven Bridges Road" and Rod Stewart's "Maggie May."

Square One soon resumed with their second set, kicking off with Rare Earth’s “Get Ready.” The group continued with tunes from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mitch Ryder, Rick Springfield, Allman Brothers, Bryan Adams, Three Dog Night and Grand Funk Railroad.

The second intermission also featured Born & the Beanstalk, who this time performed acoustic renditions of Pearl Jam’s “Black,” Proclaimers’ “I Will Be (500 Miles),” and - for their first time performing it in public - Crosby Stills & Nash’s “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes.”

Born & the Beanstalk then remained onstage as Square One returned for their nightcap set, and both groups together did the Crosby Stills Nash & Young double-shot of “Cost of Freedom” into “Ohio.” Square One then continued with the Creedence Clearwater Revival double-shot of “Suzie Q” into “Born On The Bayou.” Some dancers began to bust moves on the stagefront lawn as the group proceeded with tunes from Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Rolling Stones, the Classics IV and Roy Orbison/Van Halen’s “Pretty Woman” to end the evening.

Thus, the final Wing-Off of this summer season had ended. I thought the musical entertainment slate this year was good, featuring a variety of flavors for different musical tastes. The wings themselves were good, although I wish the wing vendors would borrow a cue from the Tussey Wing Challenge and even Conemaugh Township Wing Fling events and offer a wider variety of flavors. But at least there was no rancid wing grease stench problem this year; that did seem to have been addressed. In all, it was another fun series of Wing-Off’s, and no doubt I’ll be back to enjoy them again next year.

Square One helps close out Lakemont Park's 2006 Wing-Off season.

Guest Matt Hunter (Bill's son) helps out on guitar during Square One's first set.

Don Osborn of Square One.

Son and father: Matt and Bill Hunter.

Once again, Don Osborn of Square One.

Jeff Crownover of Square One.

Entertaining during the intermissions, Ben Bowers and Shaun Osborn - Born & the Beanstalk

[color=cyan]Square One and Born & the Beanstalk join forces to rock the Wing-Off.

Once again, Square One and Born & the Beanstalk.

SKYLA BURRELL BLUES BAND @ THE R-BAR, HYDE 8/18/06

This night, I was on the road to the R-Bar in Hyde to take a look at the Skyla Burrell Blues Band. I investigated this group’s website when they played at the R-Bar for the first time earlier in the summer, and listened to some of their mp3’s; this definitely sounded like a band worth driving a few miles to check out!

The R-Bar provided some interesting entertainment aside from the band this night. As I arrived during the band’s first intermission, I procured my first adult brew of the night, sat down at a table near the main bar, and was jotting some notes in my notebook to pass the time until the band started up again. I suddenly heard something spilling onto the floor nearby, and looked up to see - about eight feet away from me - a middle-aged rotund woman, blowing chow on the shoulder of a patron sitting at the bar! Her puke fountain drenched this guy’s shoulder from the neck of his shirt down, and a growing puddle expanded on the bar floor. This could have become very ugly; but the victim, looking stunned, stern and disgusted, maintained his composure, toweled himself off, and hastily left the bar. The barfing woman herself likewise departed the bar, she was done for the night. I decided that I didn’t want to sit in the vicinity of a puddle of regurgitated supper on the bar floor, so I moved over towards the cigarette machine to view the band when they returned to the stage.

From Chambersburg, the Skyla Burrell Blues Band sure wasn't the inspiration for that woman's technicolor yawn episode, this band was great! Namesake Skyla Burrell - originally from Los Angeles - sings and plays guitar; former Mike Dugan & the Blues Mission drummer Mark Tomlinson plays guitar, Tony Ryder plays bass and Ezell Jones plays drums. Together, they played tasty blues, as they showcased original songs and blues standards. Skyla demonstrated a bright and sultry singing style, but also showed her stunning credentials as a guitar player, often trading licks and dueling with Mark. This band was very tight and efficient; their grooves were trim and lean, and not a note was wasted. I didn't catch too many of the group's song titles, but did recognize a rendition of B.B. King's "The Thrill Is Gone," plus two songs I had checked out on their website, "Dirt Poor" and "Livin' Day to Day." Rooted in the blues, the Skyla Burrell Blues Band varied between fast and slow numbers, and dabbled in rockabilly, boogie, jazz flavors and straight-ahead blues. The group saved the best for last, though; finishing up with an extended version of their original song "Two Time Dirty Dog," Here Skyla and Mark really went to town, matching each other solo for solo, with the energy and enthusiasm of both guitarists and the entire band - and subsequently the R-Bar crowd - increasing as the fireworks continued. By song's end, the house was cheering wildly, and didn't want the night to end!

The Skyla Burrell Blues Band are a tasteful, quality blues band well worth checking out. And this night, their sparkling performance overcame the earlier visions of a bar patron receiving a vomit shower, and made this roadtrip and adventure to the R-Bar well worth it! My first time seeing this band will not be my last!

The Skyla Burrell Blues Band entertains at the R-Bar.

Group namesake Skyla Burrell.

Skyla Burrell and Mark Tomlinson of the Skyla Burrell Blues Band.

Once again, Skyla Burrell.

Dueling on guitars, Skyla Burrell and Mark Tomlinson.

The guitar fireworks between Skyla and Mark continue.

Again, the Skyla Burrell Blues Band.

Tony Ryder of the Skyla Burrell Blues Band.

Ezell Jones of the Skyla Burrell Blues Band.

Once again, Skyla Burrell and Mark Tomlinson of the Skyla Burrell Blues Band.

One more time, Skyla Burrell and Mark Tomlinson.

BEACH BASH CONCERT @ HOLIDAY BOWL, ALTOONA 8/19/06

At least initially, this seemed like it could be the sleeper party of the summer, as Holiday Bowl in Altoona announced their first-ever Beach Party. The original plan was for this bash to take place outside in the parking lot of Holiday Bowl, with sand brought in. However, the ever-popular Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board caught wind of the plans, and informed Holiday Bowl that they couldn't stage the event outdoors. Subsequently, it became an indoor event; a beach party without the sand.

It actually worked out for the better in one sense; the weather forecast for this night called for thunderstorms, and during the course of the evening storms and rain moved through. So had the Beach Party happened outside, it would have been interrupted and rained on.

Inside, though, it was a party. Some karaoke (and for some of those listening to it, actually "scary"-oke) kicked off the festivities as I did a live radio broadcast.

A round of karaoke kicks off the Beach Bash.

Relief soon arrived in the form of Felix & the Hurricanes. As local Nashville country hopeful Ricky Lee was headlining the event, and a number of his fans were already in the house, the Hurricanes leaned their set more towards a country direction; along the way mixing in renditions of John Michael Montgomery's "Sold (The Grundy County Auction)," Eddie Rabbitt's "Driving My Life Away," and Brooks & Dunn's "Neon Moon." The group also did some southern rock classics such as Blackfoot's "Train Train," Marshall Tucker Band's "Heard It In a Love Song" and Lynyrd Skynyrd's ever-popular "Sweet Home Alabama," and also did one vintage pop classic, the Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody." The remainder of their set featured established Hurricanes original song favorites such as "Lonely One," "On the Bottom Again," "Cut That Line" and more. The Hurricanes' blend of sounds worked well with this country-leaning audience, and kicked the party up to the next gear.

Felix & the Hurricanes kick up the party a notch at the Holiday Bowl Beach Bash.

Again, Felix & the Hurricanes.

Q94 Calendar Girls Jen, Tina and Trisha pose while Felix & the Hurricanes play.

After the Hurricanes finished, there was entertainment during the intermission, courtesy of the Soulmen Rhythm & Blues Review. This was a Blues Brothers tribute show I first saw several months ago at Crazy Fest. Jon Naugle portrayed Jake, while Alex Hilton played Elwood. These guys did the whole nine yards - suits, briefcases, handcuffs, dance moves, and the pair sang three tunes - “Soul Man,” Eddie Floyd’s “Knock on Wood” and Elvis’ “Jailhouse Rock.”

The Soulmen Rhythm & Blues Review.

Some youngsters put the beach balls to use during the Soulmen Rhythm & Blues Review's performance.

Once again, the Soulmen Rhythm & Blues Review.

Up next was Generation Gap. This band had a personnel change since I last saw them, with former RetroActive keyboard/guitar man Keith Little replacing Don Hughes in the roster. Keith, singer Brian Elliott, lead guitarist Jarrett Bickel, bassist Harry Walter and drummer Ed Murvine mixed rock of the past three decades; doing songs by the Goo Goo Dolls, ZZ Top, Collective Soul, Fuel, 5 Man Electrical Band, Van Halen and more. Generation Gap ignited the night’s first dance action during Black Crowes’ “Jealous Again,” and provided several highlights along the way; including Jarrett’s smoking guitar solo during Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride and Joy,” Keith showing his singing abilities on Outfield’s “Your Love,” and some age-geared humor directed towards Harry when the group devoted Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man” to our troops (Harry was a veteran of which war? Spanish or Civil?). Generation Gap picked up momentum as they went along, and their set won some new fans by the time all was said and done.

Generation Gap rocks the Holiday Bowl Beach Bash.

Generation Gap's new keyboard man, Keith Little.

Brian Elliott of Generation Gap.

Generation Gap ignites some dance floor action.

At this point, Osterburg’s Devin Claycomb, who gained recent notoriety as a contestant on CBS’ The Early Show’s “Living Room…LIVE” contest, played his first show in front of an audience. Devin was expectedly a little nervous, but demonstrated a clear, strong voice on songs by Kenny Chesney, Bob Seger, his own originals and more. Although he was nervous and made a few beginner errors along the way, Devil still received a warm and supportive response from the assembled audience; he especially received some nice applause when he sang a song for his wife called “My Angel.”

Osterburg's Devin Claycomb performs during an intermission.

Capping the evening was Ricky Lee & the Mustangs, performing their blend of country originals and favorites. The group did two sets, along the way performing a number of songs from Ricky’s new album, Genuine, plus favorites from Brooks & Dunn, Travis Tritt, Kenny Chesney, Chuck Berry, John Mellencamp, Big & Rich, Loggins & Messina, also the Mary-sung version of Mary Chapin Carpenter’s “I Feel Lucky.” Ricky again was a dynamic, robust performer who constantly worked the audience and kept the show moving; along the way having fun with his veteran cast of Mustangs, including Randy Rutherford and Rick Wertz on guitars, Fritz Wyland on bass, Mary Villani on keys and Clint Carothers on drums. Ricky Lee & the Mustangs kept the all ages crowd dancing, from young children to older folks, including Ricky’s number one fan, Caroline. Towards night’s end, with the party still going strong, Ricky left Rick Wertz take the lead microphone for Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music,” before Ricky and his Mustangs ended the night with one of his most popular songs, “My Kind Of Girl.”

So, despite circumstances moving the show inside and there being no actual “beach,” Holiday Bowl’s first ever Beach Party was at least a moderate success. Attendance was ultimately lighter than expected, owing to the weather and the PLCB highjinks. The vibe was happy and upbeat, and everybody in attendance appeared to have a good time enjoying some good live music and fun. Show organizers were optimistic, and indicated that the Beach Bash Concert will return next year.

Ricky Lee & the Mustangs cap the first Holiday Bowl Beach Bash.

Again, Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Clint Carothers of Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Fritz Wyland and Randy Rutherford of Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Ricky Lee.

Rick Wertz of Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Once again, Ricky Lee & the Mustangs entertain at the first Holiday Bowl Beach Bash.

Ricky Lee & the Mustangs keep the dance floor busy.

Randy Rutherford of Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Again, Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

From another angle, Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Once again, Ricky Lee.

Mary Villani of Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Ricky Lee.

NYNE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 8/19/06

With Holiday Bowl’s Beach Bash winding down before midnight, there was still plenty of time for me to catch some more live music elsewhere in the ‘Toona this Saturday night. I decided to finish out the night by catching a new name in town, Nyne, performing at City Limits.

I arrived during the intermission just before the start of Nyne's nightcap set. Although formed just three months ago and playing their first City Limits show, Nyne actually had a respectable crowd on hand. Guitarist Chris Walker soon came over and greeted me at the bar, and introduced the band to me. I had seen these guys around previously in other band projects. Singer Jason Eyer I had seen just a few months ago fronting Tokyo Vertigo. Chris and bassist Justin Norfolk were both members of Graphic. Adam Rider plays drums.

Nyne soon launched into their nightcap set with Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch.” As their set unfolded, the group defined their turf as harder-edged modern rock, as they did numbers from Velvet Revolver, Godsmack, Avenged Sevenfold, Tool, Drowning Pool, Disturbed, Linkin Park, Smile Empty Soul, Seether and more. Nyne threw in a couple of hard-nosed 80’s updates along the way, Danzig’s “Mother” and Genesis’ “Land of Confusion.”

For only being together three months, Nyne came on strong and was tight this night. They displayed constant energy, and gelled well as a unit and played on the same page. And along the way, Nyne succeeded in triggering activity on City Limits’ dance floor.

Nyne’s debut at City Limits was a fairly successful one; the group took care of its business onstage, and likely won some new fans coming out the gate. If this night was any indication, Nyne should be a rising force on area stages over the next few months; remember the name.

Nyne, making their City Limits debut.

Jason Eyer of Nyne.

Chris Walker of Nyne.

Adam Rider of Nyne.

Again, Nyne, rocking City Limits.

One more time, Nyne.

TIL DECEMBER @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/20/06

The homestretch of my weekend again passed through Pellegrine’s, with Til December providing the weekend’s rocking conclusion.

I arrived during the second set, and spent most of that set hooked into watching Guv’nor Jesse’s weekly DVD presentation back by the door. I noted Til December doing a wide mixture of material from Smashing Pumpkins, Joan Jett, Cheap Trick, Greenday, Trapt, Suvivor, Jimmy Buffett and more, plus a few of their original songs such as their title tune “Til December.”

As the group commenced their nightcap set, I ventured out to the main band room for a closer look. Singer Matt “Goody” Goodreau, guitarist Jeremy Edge, bassist Jamie Morral and drummer Mike Cavalier again generated Pelly’s dance floor party with a wide-ranging mix, starting with Harvey Danger’s “Flagpole Sitta,” proceeding through Cypress Hill’s “Insane in the Brain” and House of Pain’s “Jump Around,” and their Jeckyl-and-Hyde take on Madonna’s “Like A Virgin;” before breaking out their rowdy original favorite “Party In the Parking Lot.” The group continued with the title track to their Hollow CD, followed by a Crossfade number, and the Jamie-fronted rendition of Pantera’s “Walk,” which triggered slow dancing on Pelly’s dance floor (I didn’t know Pantera music was romantic!). Til December then performed Hinder’s “Lips of an Angel,” before Goody and Jeremy broke out an acoustic rendition of their original “Stages,” and finished up the set with Tool’s “Sober.” The packed Pellegrine’s dance floor demanded more, and Til December responded with one more, their ever-popular “Seatbelt,” to end the night.

As expected, it was another rowdy Til December Sunday night at Pellegrine’s. The crowd was sizable, and the band reliably rocked the house and kept the revelers happy. Another good time.

Matt “Goody” Goodreau of Til December.

Jamie Morral of Til December.

A familiar sight: Til December and a packed dance floor at Pellegrine’s.

Again, Jamie Morral of Til December.

Surrounded by ladies onstage, Jamie Morral of Til December.

Taking it to the fans, Goody of Til December.

With ladies crowded onstage, Jamie Morral of Til December.

More highjinks with Jamie of Til December and the ladies of Pellegrine’s.

The party continues with Goody and Til December.

Til December’s Pellegrine’s party reaches a feverish pitch.

Til December continues to rock the house.

Winter is coming, and it was snowing during Til December’s party at Pellegrine’s.

One more time, Jamie Morral of Til December and a stage full of women at Pellegrine’s.

JP’S HAIKU

Skyla Burrell blues
Tasty blues, top notch players
R-Bar, not R-barf

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1