· The Forums
· The Final Cut
LABOR DAY WEEKEND RECAP 9/5/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Dec 07, 2006 

LABOR DAY WEEKEND RECAP 9/5/06

CLIFF TURNER & THE AFTERBURNERS @ TUSSEY WING CHALLENGE, TUSSEY MOUNTAIN SKI RESORT, BOALSBURG 8/31/06

As was the case the previous week, I headed to Tussey Mountain Ski Resort to commence my weekend at the final installment of this year's Tussey Wing Challenge. This was the championship round, where the best of the best from the preceding weeks of the event vied to win the voters' choice as serving up the best wings.

I mentioned before this year's wing-eating event season began that this year, Tussey was charging a $5 cover charge for the Wing Challenge. On the surface, it would appear that this would hurt the event, as admission was free in previous years. But as it turned out, the $5 cover also included a drink ticket for a soda or beer. Since beers were $3 (three one-dollar tickets), the cover was actually $2. And although attendance was slightly lower this year, traffic was still pretty good at the Wing Challenge, with a fairly even breakdown of students, adults and families in attendance – perhaps part of the reason the organizers started charging admission to begin with (to attract more adults and families and less kids just going there to get drunk).

Anyway, the band this night was Cliff Turner & the Afterburners, and the entourage of wheelman Sparky D’Engineer, Rocky and yours truly arrived towards the end of their second set. As expected for the final Wing Challenge, a good crowd was on hand, but waiting lines for wings were relatively short and reasonable as we listened to the band do renditions of Steely Dan’s “Pretzel Logic,” Commodores’ “Brick House” and KC & the Sunshine Band’s “Get Down Tonight” to finish the set.

I didn’t take down notes on what wide wing varieties I sampled this night, except that I was hungry and put away two dozen of the things, and at four wings for a buck, two dozen wings for $6 was a bargain!

The wings were good and spicy, and the band was as well. Namesake Cliff Turner on bass, lead singer/guitarist John Phelps, drummer Donnie Rhodes, saxman Darryl Davies, trumpet player Andy Harbison, sax player Tom Gallagher and keyboardist John Wise mixed more rock and soul during their nightcap set, kicking off with Santana’s “Smooth.” I liked their variety, as they pulled out such classics as Boz Scaggs’ “Lowdown,” Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition,” James Brown’s “I Feel Good” and “Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag,” Dr. John’s “Right Place Wrong Time” (for this event retitled “Right Wings Wrong Sauce”), American Breed’s “Bend Me Shape Me” and Wilson Pickett’s “Mustang Sally” to cap the night. This band’s musicianship was dazzling; John’s guitar solos were clean, tasty and fiery; and the horn section lit it up nicely throughout the course of the set. This band locked and loaded into their funky grooves, and had folks dancing at the front of the stage for much of the set.

When all was said and done, Happy Valley newcomers Quaker Steak and Lube captured the crown for best wings at this year’s Wing Challenge. As I continued to lick their Louisiana Lickers wing sauce from the corners of my mouth, I couldn’t disagree…great stuff!

Thus, outdoor wing-eating season was officially over. It was fun while it lasted, and having enjoyed good times at all three west-central PA wing-eating events this year, I definitely intend to return to all three next year!

Cliff Turner & the Afterburners at the Tussey Wing Challenge Finals.

Namesake Cliff Turner and Tom Gallagher of Cliff Turner & the Afterburners.

Band members investigate as Tom Gallagher gets down on his back to wail on sax.

Once again, Tom Gallagher of Cliff Turner & the Afterburners, getting low down on his sax.

Darryl Davies, Andy Harbison and Tom Gallagher of Cliff Turner & the Afterburners.

Darryl Davies of Cliff Turner & the Afterburners.

Once again, Cliff Turner & the Afterburners.

John Phelps of Cliff Turner & the Afterburners.

HELLO VIXEN @ YESTERDAY’S PARTY, EBENSBURG 9/1/06

Labor Day Weekend has become one of my favorite holiday weekends of the year, because of two words: Johnstown Folkfest! I had eagerly anticipated this year’s Folkfest ever since the preliminary announcements of performers were announced early in the year. The planets appeared to be aligning correctly, so that I could take in all three days of Folkfest without work duties or other distractions getting in the way. Alas, one variable did get in the way…Mother Nature. The remnants of Tropical Storm Ernesto made their arrival in our region by mid-Friday, and with torrential downpours deluging the region by Friday night, I reluctantly decided to bag attending the first night of Folkfest, and thus missing at least one band I had wanted to see, Joe Grushecky & the Houserockers, who I had never experienced live before. I guess I would have to wait for another day.

Although I didn’t attend Folkfest this night, I did head westward to catch some live music, ending up at Yesterday’s Party in Ebensburg to check in with rising local upstarts Hello, Vixen. A large crowd was already present as I arrived during Hello, Vixen’s second set. Singer Mark Simanski, lead guitarist Bill Maguire, rhythm guitarist Brian Simanski, bassist Justin Brown and drummer Steve Holtz fired through a mix of punk-driven and modern rock favorites, and were in the midst of Me First & the Gimme Gimme’s take on Peter Paul & Mary’s “Leaving On A Jet Plane.” Hello, Vixen kept the dance floor busy with favorites such as Bush’s “Machinehead,” Harvey Danger’s “Flagpole Sitta” and Blink 182’s “Dammit” to end the set.

Yesterday’s Party remained pretty packed during the intermission. It was good to see this crowd in spite of Ernesto’s drenching downpours outside; obviously a little rain wasn’t keeping these fans from partying down with Hello, Vixen this night. I noted that among the crowd was a bachelorette party, so the prognosis was favorable for a wild final set of the evening.

Soon the party was set to resume, and Hello, Vixen kicked it back into gear with Sublime’s “Santeria.” The group proceeded through Weezer’s “Say It Ain’t So,” and threw in a Penn State Blue Band sounder to cheer on the Nittany Lions’ home opener the following day. The punk-fueled party continued with Weezer’s “Beverly Hills,” the Ramones’ “I Wanna Be Sedated” and Lustra’s “Scotty Doesn’t Know.” The dance floor stayed packed through more favorites from Eve 6, Green Day and others, before the party eventually reached its climax with a rowdy shout-along rendition of Bouncing Souls’ “Ole,” before Hello Vixen toned things down to end the night with Green Day’s “Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life).” The crowd wanted more, but the house lights came up…party over.

The key component to Hello, Vixen’s party this night was energy. Nonstop, abundant energy. This band starts off at a fast, brisk pace and never lets up through the course of their set. That energy is infectious, and the crowd this night fed off of it.

Hello, Vixen’s popularity is rapidly rising throughout the region; this show showed why, and showed that the group’s momentum is not slowing down any time soon. This band is clearly an onstage party force on the rise!

Hello, Vixen, partying down the house at Yesterday’s Party.

Again, Hello, Vixen, giving the fans a good time.

More festivities with Hello, Vixen. Ernesto wasn’t raining on this party!

Mark Simanski of Hello, Vixen welcomes a lady onstage.

Bill Maguire of Hello, Vixen.

More ladies onstage with Hello, Vixen.

From another angle, Yesterday’s Party parties down with Hello, Vixen.

What a wildman! Mark Simanski of Hello, Vixen.

Brian Simanski and Justin Brown of Hello, Vixen.

Steve Holtz of Hello, Vixen.

Again, Mark Simanski of Hello, Vixen.

One more time, Mark Simanski of Hello, Vixen.

The party continues with Hello, Vixen.

One more time, Hello, Vixen.

JOHNSTOWN FOLKFEST @ FESTIVAL PARK, JOHNSTOWN 9/2/06

The rains from Tropical Storm Ernesto’s continued steadily into the day on Saturday, but the forecast called for the rains to taper off during the afternoon. It was raining as I started on my journey over to Johnstown for Folkfest, but the rain had just ended as I parked my car a couple of blocks away from Festival Park and made my way into the festivities. Hopefully things would start to dry out; and with all four stage areas covered in tents, I would be able to stay somewhat dry even if the rain would start up again.

After procuring some initial scrip tickets and purchasing some food (a Polish platter) from the Community Kitchen area, I took in my first musical entertainment of this year's Folkfest, Doll Hospital, performing nearby at the AmeriServ Financial stage. The group's singer, Heather Eatman, lived in Johnstown during her teen years, and had appeared at Folkfest a few years before as a solo artist. In this band project, Heather and Doll Hospital performed a brand of lighthearted lounge-geared pop and jazz. The group's songs frequently featured humorous lyrics, and Heather sold those lyrics with a playful, teasing and sultry vocal style. The tunes ranged from slow and loungy to more upbeat, even bordering on more boisterous Cab Calloway-styled blues and jazz. Doll Hospital showcased a number of songs from their self-titled CD, such as "Charlie Takes the Cake," "Mercy, Mercy," "When I Take Back This Town," "Life Of The Party" and "Paperdoll." Besides Heather's captivating vocal style, the other aspect of Doll Hospital that riveted my attention was vibraphone player Nick Mancini – if there is such a thing as a vibraphone "shredder," this guy was it! He was fast on the vibe keys, sometimes wielding two sticks in each hand and never missing a note! For my own Folkfest experience, Doll Hospital presented a fresh, unique sound to get it under way!

Former Johnstown resident Heather Eatman of Doll Hospital.

Doll Hospital.

Heather Eatman and Jim Whitney of Doll Hospital.

I next headed to the Highmark Blue Cross Blue Sheild stage to take in one of the groups I most eagerly anticipated seeing again, Those Darn Accordions. As I arrived at the performance tent, I ran into "The Reverend" Tom Hipps from Rusty Gun Revival, who performed the previous night at Folkfest and would be performing again later this night. He was getting his first exposure to Those Darn Accordions, and like the rest of the crowd, was getting a kick out of it.. This San Francisco-based crew isn't your dad's accordion band! Although they might break out the obligatory polka if pushed by audience requests to do so, Those Darn Accordions mostly do tunes you would never expect to hear played on squeezeboxes, from hard rock favorites to country, original numbers and more. As I arrived, the group - four accordion players strong, plus a bassist and drummer behind them - launched into AC/DC's "Back In Black!" The group then did some of their original tunes, including "Loch Ness Monster," the country-tinged "Rice For One" and the funky "Think About Stuff;" before erupting with the Edgar Winter Group's "Frankenstein!" This veered directly into Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride," before the group ended their first of two sets with "Monster Row." Those Darn Accordions rocked, throwing out the rulebook and doing things on this instrument I only dreamed about when I used to take lessons and play all those boring waltzes and polkas as a kid! Perhaps it's that connection that makes me appreciate this crazy band a little more. I was glad to take in at least part of their return performance at this year's Folkfest.

Rocking their squeezeboxes, Those Darn Accordions.

Again, Those Darn Accordions.

Four accordions strong, Those Darn Accordions.

Susie Davis of Those Darn Accordions.

The four-accordion army of Those Darn Accordions.

Susie Davis and Paul Rogers of Those Darn Accordions.

From there, I headed to the JWF Industries Stage to check in with The Recipe. Although generally considered a jam band, The Recipe combined elements of rock, country, bluegrass, funk and more into a collective sound. As I arrived, the group was engaged in a percussion jam, which continued for a few minutes. The group then did several more tunes, including rock- and country-geared tunes, the funkier-flavored "Stangely Familiar," and the country-ish closer "Angel Dances." A good-sized crowd in front of the stage demanded one more, and The Recipe encored with a fast bluegrass-geared number. The Recipe delivered a loose, laid-back vibe as they performed their material, and the stagefront crowd danced and grooved along. I thought the group's vocals sounded a bit muddy in the mix, but with this type of jam-geared music, that wasn't a major flaw.

Members of The Recipe in the midst of a percussion jam.

Again, the Recipe.

Ed “Uncle Eddie” Mahonen of The Recipe.

Joe Prichard of The Recipe.

Once again, The Recipe.

My next stop was back at the AmeriServ stage, where Will Hawkins and his band were performing. From the Big Apple, Will Hawkins performed Americana-geared country-rock. I actually caught the last few songs of his first set...For his next song, Will introduced a special guest, Emily Zuzik. I actually had heard of Emily Zuzik through Dave Blackledge's annual PA Singer-Songwriter Festival, but had never arrived at the festival at the right time ti see her perform. Now I would get to see and hear Emily perform. I didn't catch the name of the song she sang, but Emily demonstrated a strong, clear voice and confident singing style. Will then performed a solo number on guitar called "Out of Reach," followed by another band number (I think called "I Get Around"); before finishing out the set with a number he penned called "Johnstown." Will explained that the song was inspired by a chance meeting he had with a soldier from Johnstown returning home from Iraq, who had been injured and lost part of his hand. The song was about that soldier's struggle to return to his way of life with his family and job after enduring what he did in Iraq. This was a song that steadily escalated into a powerful and compelling rocker that had the Folkfest crowd cheering.

With Emily Zuzik singing lead, Will Hawkins and his band.

Will Hawkins.

Will Hawkins and Emily Zuzik sing as a duet.

Once again, Will Hawkins and Emily Zuzik.

After purchasing CD's from Will Hawkins and Emily Zuzik, I headed a short distance to the Conemaugh Health System Stage to catch a little bit of Sleepy LaBeef's performance. A returning performer at Folkfest, Sleepy and his band performed roots country, honky-tonk and rockabilly, combining original numbers and favorites together into a rapidfire, nonstop mix. Among the songs Sleepy and band did while I watched were renditions of Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (sung by drummer Jerry Cavanaugh while Sleepy himself sat in behind the drum kit), Englebert Humperdinck's "Please Release Me" into Lee Dorsey's "Workin' in The Coal Mine," the Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody," and Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues."

Sleepy LaBeef and his band.

Since I had planned to actually see Sleepy perform on Sunday, I left his performance at this point to head to the JWF Industries Stage and catch the performance of a group who reportedly rocked the house the night before, Austin, Texas' Eric Tessmer Band. A three-piece, the Eric Tessmer Band did - what else? - Texas blues rock in the Stevie Ray Vaughan vein. Namesake Eric Tessmer sang and scorched on guitar; Allen Daniell played bass, and Doug Day drums. Departing from the normal Folkfest practice of playing two 45 minute sets with a break between, the Eric Tessmer Band played nonstop for the nearly 2-hour duration, rocking the house (err...tent) with hard-driving original blues rockers, Hendrix-rooted sounds, slow blues and more. Through it all, 23-year-old Eric put on a clinic on the axe, demonstrating constantly fast fingerwork and soul-ripping solo work. A few times, he demonstrated some bottleneck slide ability, went behind his back for a few solos and more. This was charged, hard-driving blues rock with musical thrills around every corner! For the set finale, Eric did a Jimi Hendrix medley, starting with "Voodoo Chile" and continuing through "Purple Haze" and "Machine Gun." Then to end the performance, Eric ripped the strings off of his guitar one by one, and tossed them out to the crowd. What a showman! I was pretty blown away by the Eric Tessmer Band's performance, enough so that I wound up purchasing one of his CD's. Definitely one of the highlights of my 2006 Folkfest experience!

The Eric Tessmer Band.

Group namesake Eric Tessmer.

Again, Eric Tessmer.

Jamming behind his back, Eric Tessmer.

Jamming out stormy blues rock, The Eric Tessmer Band.

Working that guitar, Eric Tessmer.

Allen Daniell of The Eric Tessmer Band.

One more time, Eric Tessmer.

Dazzled by the display I had just witnessed, I slowly meandered my way back down through the Festival Park, not really sure who I was going to check out yet. I ran into the entourage of my friends Rocky and Kate, and we sat at the hospitality tent area near the Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield stage, where Bonerama played. I only got to see one song from Bonerama at this point before they went on break; this group did for horns what Those Darn Accordions did for accordions earlier - taking brass instruments into musical turf not normally associated with that family of instruments. Bonerama went into their break with a rocking brass edition of Jimi Hendrix's "Crosstown Traffic." Although I only got to hear one song, I was intrigued enough by Bonerama that I knew I would have to catch their second Folkfest performance the following evening.

One of the more talked-about acts at this year’s Folkfest was a group called Balkan Beatbox, and I soon headed off to the JWF Industries Stage to see what they were about. As advertised, they were different! From New York City, Balkan Beatbox did a wild and ever-changing blend of klezmer and various Mediterranean musical styles, modernized with rock and hip-hop beats, samples, digital enhancements and more. Their performance was high-energy and constantly moving, never staying in one place. The band members shifted the spotlights to one another and were constantly bounding about the stage, keeping the action nonstop. Although this musical blend was eclectic and completely different from anything that has appeared on a Folkfest stage before, a good-sized crowd populated the area in front of the stage, dancing and grooving along. (Other folks sat and looked on, mesmerized at the spectacle of it all.) Balkan Beatbox succeeded in merging a diverse variety of styles into a unified, cohesive presentation; very interesting stuff!

Balkan Beatbox, making their Johnstown Folkfest debut.

The audience looks on as Balkan Beatbox performs.

Once again, Balkan Beatbox.

I then went from the adventurous and eclectic to the rootsy and more traditional, heading to the AmeriServ Stage to check in with Rusty Gun Revival. The trio of Marc “L.C. Slim” Prave on acoustic guitar and vocals, Ed “Red” McDonald on longhorned upright bass and “The Reverend” Tom Hipps on snare drum had the hoedown throwdown going, as they had a modest crowd of fans hooting and hollering to their mixture of original roots-based sounds and select remakes. Much of their set contained tunes from their recently-released self-titled CD such as the folksy “Long Way From Home,” “Smoke,” the rockabilly-flavored “Step It Up N’Go,” “No More Blues” and more. From their Blind Jonny Death inception the group pulled out “Requiem For America” and the playful “Git Down On The Farm;” and the trio also did such established favorites from their live show as Hank Sr.’s “Hey Good Lookin,’” Old Crow Medicine Show’s “Tell It To Me,” Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” Elvis’ “Devil In Disguise” and more. Rusty Gun Revival had fun and were feeling it this night, with Marc elevating his intensity to another level at several points during the performance, and he and Red hopping atop Red’s bass during “Revival.” The group ended their performance with an established showstopper, their extended fire-and-brimstone edition of “Land Of The Navajo,” with all three musicians pushing it to the stratosphere during the homestretch. In typical Rusty Gun Revival fashion, it was fun and good-natured, but also fiery and emotional. Although the late hour took its toll on the audience as the set progressed, those who stuck around appreciated Rusty Gun Revival’s showcase, and the group made a positive impact in their maiden visit to Folkfest.

Bringing their hoedown to Johnstown Folkfest, Rusty Gun Revival.

Playing his horny upright bass, Ed “Red” McDonald of Rusty Gun Revival.

Marc “L.C. Slim” Prave of Rusty Gun Revival.

Slim and Red jam atop Red’s bass.

The hootenanny continues atop the upright.

Red climbs atop to do some bass surfing with Slim.

Again, Rusty Gun Revival.

Once again, Red of Rusty Gun Revival.

Once again, Rusty Gun Revival.

One more time with feeling, Rusty Gun Revival.

After Rusty Gun Revival finished their set, I could still hear some music in the distance, so I headed to the Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield Stage to catch the last two songs of Terrence Simien’s performance. Yes, zydeco and Louisiana music was again part of this year’s Folkfest, and Terrence Simien – whose wild and energetic bayou-styled parties have long since become Folkfest legend – had another good party going, as he and his band played Louisiana party music and tossed beads out to the crowd. I knew I would be back for a more extended look at Terrence and company the following evening; this provided a bit of a teaser.

My first day of Folkfest was in the books. I was impressed and happy with what I had witnessed thus far, and would be back the next day for more. As the hour passed midnight, I departed the Festival Grounds to seek out and experience more Johnstown nightlife on this Saturday night.

On display near the Galliker’s ice cream vending area was this vintage Galliker’s delivery truck.

Another interesting vintage vehicle on display at Folkfest was this Northwest Savings Bank truck.

THE DESPERADOES @ OHIO STREET LOUNGE, JOHNSTOWN 9/2/06

I didn’t know too much of what was happening in Johnstown this night outside of Folkfest, but I did know those trusty Desperadoes were entertaining not far away at the Ohio Street Lounge in Moxham, so I headed there to take in their last set.

The trusty trio of singer/guitarist Mark Middleton, bassist Mike “Soupy” Suppes and drummer Harold Knappenberger were having fun with a mid-sized crowd of revelers as I arrived. In reliable Desperadoes fashion, the group invited requests from the crowd, and then performed those requests. The preferred musical flavors from the audience this night were classic and older rock; and the Desperadoes kept them pleased with renditions of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man,” the Doors’ “Break On Through” (with an unexpected Champs “Tequila” tease during the song’s midsection), Led Zeppelin’s “Houses Of The Holy,” The Who’s “Squeeze Box,” the Grateful Dead’s “Casey Jones,” the Rolling Stones’ double-shot of “Street Fighting Man” and “Let Me Go,” and to end the night, the Beach Boys’ “Barbara Ann” into the “Peter Gunn Theme” to end the night.

As expected, the Desperadoes were sturdy and solid on their instruments, with Mark blazing a trail of glory on the guitar, and Harold and Soupy backing him with tight rhythms. The Desperadoes kept the house pleased till the finish; just the right rock’n’roll nightcap to finish things off after a busy day of Folkfesting.

The Desperadoes rock the Ohio Street Lounge.

Mark Middleton of The Desperadoes.

Harold Knappenberger of The Desperadoes.

Again, Mark Middleton of The Desperadoes.

One more time, The Desperadoes.

JOHNSTOWN FOLKFEST @ FESTIVAL PARK, JOHNSTOWN 9/3/06

Despite my best-laid plans, I arrived at Folkfest well into the afternoon, missing some early performances I had wanted to see. The weather was markedly improved this day, with Ernesto's rains long gone but still a bit on the chilly side for Labor Day Weekend.

The first performance I caught this day was Mark Dignam at the AmeriServ Stage. Originally from Ireland but now based in Pittsburgh, Mark performed a mixture of acoustic folk and pop, including humor and anecdotes between songs. Mark referenced his Irish background often, even telling a few Irish drinking jokes and more. During the time I watched him, Mark's song selection included original numbers such as "Breaking Down," "Crow," the singalongs "Til You Came Along" and "My Angel Sweet Divine" and more. He also did his adaptation of Tom Waits' "Martha," called "Jane;" and Billy Bragg's "Looking For Another Girl." His style hinted at the poppy side of Paul McCartney and Oasis, and his presentation was jovial and slightly witty.

Mark Dignam.

Once again, Mark Dignam.

After watching Mark's set for a little while, I headed to the JWF Industries Stage to catch a more extended look at Sleepy LaBeef and his band. This longer look allowed me to experience more of Sleepy's nonstop, moving performance as he and his band fired off roots country and rock'n'roll, blues, gospel and more. A lot of Sleepy's repertoire was cover material, as he and his band did selections from Hank Williams, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, blues standards like "I'm Tore Up," "Ain't Got No Home" and more. Sleepy and his group kept the music moving and nonstop, and he kept the mood jovial by talking about the early roots masters as he went along.

Sleepy LaBeef and his band.

Sleepy LaBeef.

Sleepy goes behind the drum kit while his bass player sings lead.

Normally playing drums for Sleepy LaBeef, Jerry Cavanaugh also can sing and play guitar.

Once again, the inverted Sleepy LaBeef band.

After Sleepy's set concluded, I left Folkfest for a little while to walk to nearby Cambria City to check out the Cambria City Ethnic Festival (see recap below). I returned to Folkfest by early evening, to catch most of the second set of the Billy Price Band.

Billy and his band already had a good party going, with the dance area in front of the stage full of moving, grooving people; and a near-full house audience seated behind them. It was maximum R&B as Billy and the band played tunes from his new CD, East End Avenue, such as “If You Cook Like You Walk,” “Soul Sailin,’” “Faithful and True,” “Funky Like Dyke Pt. II” and more. Billy’s voice was in its usual excellent soulful form as he crooned, sang and wailed with constant passion and gusto. His band was fired up, especially the horn section of sax player Rick Matt, tenor sax player Eric DeFade and trumpet player Jay Moore (in for Joe Herndon this day). These guys shined constantly, and continually pushed the bar skyward as they performance proceeded. This rhythm and blues party rode at a feverish pitch to its end, and the Johnstown crowd quickly demanded an encore. Billy and the band delivered one more song, during which the horn section left the stage and took their show out into the crowd to seal the deal. This was an excellent performance, and the most memorable show I’ve seen from Billy Price’s current band so far.

Billy Price and his band.

Billy Price’s horn section this day; Rick Matt, Jay Moore and Eric DeFade.

Again, the Billy Price Band.

Billy Price.

Dave Dodd of the Billy Price Band.

Again, Billy Price.

Lenny Smith of the Billy Price Band.

Once again, Billy Price.

Billy Price’s horn section takes it to the dancing crowd.

Once again, Billy Price’s horn section, partying down with the crowd.

I then showed up at the Conemaugh Health System Stage to check out the Russell Lauf Band. A Johnstown native who has called both Johnstown and Pittsburgh home, he and his group’s flavor was country-geared rock along the Eagles vein; in fact, they was doing a rendition of the Eagles’ “Desperado” as I arrived. With guest Tim Dabbs sitting in on guitar, Russell and his band performed a number of original selections , including songs from his new album Johnstown: Welcome Home such as “The Little Things” and “Peace Of Mind;” also “It’s All Right,” “Black and White” and more. Russell’s voice sounded smooth and unimposing, and the band was consistent and polished. In all, a good performance.

The Russell Lauf Band.

Again, The Russell Lauf Band.

My Folkfest weekend was not complete without a zydeco party, so I headed to the JWF Industries Stage to catch Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience. As expected, a huge crowd was partying down in front of the stage as Terrance and his band threw their wild Louisiana party. Terrance played his accordion and sang, while tossing bead necklaces out to the crowd with his feet! He also tossed out miniature footballs at various times (I eventually caught one, cool!). I didn't catch many song titles during this party other than one of the old Louisiana standards, "Bon Ton Roulet." But Terrance Simien and his band kept the party roaring with a feisty blend of zydeco, blues, funk, reggae and more. It was another great Louisiana party, and for many of the folks in this crowd, probably the peak of their Folkfest experience.

A packed tent takes in Terrance Simien’s zydeco party.

Terrance Simien.

Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience.

Again, Terrance Simien.

Danny Williams of Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience.

The crowd wants their beads and footballs! Hands are flying as the crowd anticipates Terrance’s next toss.

Terrance Simien tosses out more beads.

Once again, Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience.

After taking in the zydeco festivities for a little while, I headed back down to the Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield Stage for one more performance to close out this year's Folkfest, Bonerama. I had experienced a teaser from this group the previous night; and was curious to see just how far horns could step outside the box. As I found out, plenty...The first song Bonerama launched into when I arrived was the Allman Brothers' "Whipping Post," rocked out with four trombones and a sousaphone! The sousaphone provided the bottom-end 'bass' licks, while the trombones were muted to sound like hard-rocking guitars. Soon after, the group rocked the brass again on the Beatles' "Helter Skelter," and proceeded to entertain the small-ish audience with a blend of rock, funk, and jazz flavors. During one song, one of the trombones duplicated the sound of bottleneck slide! Another instrumental number showcased a sousaphone 'bass' solo! The group closed out their set with a thunderous and convincing brass attack on Black Sabbath's "War Pigs!" The remaining crowd quickly demanded an encore, and Bonerama soon delivered the night's knockout punch with their rendition of Edgar Winter Group's "Frankenstein!" As mentioned earlier, Bonerama did for brass instruments what Those Darn Accordions did for accordion, taking their instruments 'outside the box' and throwing out the rulebook! It was compelling stuff, and it rocked, closing out my 2006 Folkfest experience with a bang!

From New Orleans, Bonerama.

Again, Bonerama.

You’ve heard of southern rock ‘three-guitar armies’ – here is Bonerama’s four-trombone army!

Once again, Bonerama, brassing out.

The audience looks on as Bonerama rocks.

Again, more Bonerama.

From a different angle, Bonerama.

One more time, Bonerama.

I again enjoyed my weekend at Johnstown Folkfest. The performances were all top-notch, again the quality of the entertainment was great! The early rains and colder temperatures stunted attendance during the earlier part of the weekend, but Sunday's attendance seemed to be stronger. My hat's off to the Folkfest organizers for another excellent musical slate; guaranteed I'll be back next year!

CAMBRIA CITY ETHNIC FESTIVAL @ CAMBRIA CITY 9/3/06

For the first two years after Johnstown Folkfest moved to its present Festival Park location and the Cambria City Ethnic Festival began, it was a bit of a headache for me deciding when to drive back and forth between the two festivals. Then last year, my older brother informed me that a bridge had been completed that made it easier to walk between the two festivals. This year, I hoped to find this bridge and take in both festivals. It wasn't until Sunday afternoon that I found it. But the Cambria Iron Pedestrian Bridge and greenway project was completed, and now it was possible to walk between the two festivals. So I did.

The first order of business upon completing my walk to Cambria City was...food. And I knew right where to head for that, the St. Mary's Church pavilion for copious dosages of pierohi, halushki and halupki (I got all three for $3!). I wasn't aware of what the musical entertainment was at this year's Cambria City Ethnic Festival, but was pleased to find that the stage was set up under the pavilion, and that some form of live musical entertainment was imminent.

The group was a jazz group, the Harold Betters Quartet. Originally from Connellsville, namesake Harold Betters has played trombone with some famous names over the years, including Louis Armstrong, Al Hirt and Ramsey Lewis. In this group, Harold, along with a bass player, keyboardist and drummer, performed jazz and pop standards. I caught a few songs, including a rendition of "Kansas City," while a number of senior citizens got up and danced in front of the stage.

The Harold Betters Quartet.

Harold Betters.

After watching this performance for a few songs, I decided to explore what else was happening in Cambria City, and headed down Chestnut Street to Holy Cross Lutheran Church, where another band was setting up. I soon learned that the band setting up was a young Johnstown-based band called 2 X 4, and that all four members of this group ranged from 15 to 18 years old. I watched a good portion of their first set, as 2 X 4 did classic rock favorites from Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young, George Thorogood, Led Zeppelin, Steve Miller Band, CCR and more - music way older than any of the musicians playing it! These youngsters did a respectable job, and were pretty good on their instruments given their youth. The nice-sized crowd – including a number of the band members' parents and friends – gave 2 X 4 a good response.

Teenage Johnstown rockers 2 X 4, entertaining in front of Holy Cross Lutheran Church.

Nathan Hutsky of 2 X 4.

Again, 2 X 4.

A guest singer demonstrates her voice during 2 X 4’s performance.

Once again, Nathan Hutsky of 2 X 4.

Because I wanted to catch at least part of Billy Price's set back at Folkfest, I started back to Festival Park. But now that I know where the pathway is between Festival Park and Cambria City, I plan to put it to a whole lot more use next year!

RED ALERT @ PARROT BAY CAFÉ, JOHNSTOWN 9/3/06

After the conclusion of Folkfest, I returned to Cambria City to close out the Johnstown portion of my weekend with the annual Folkfest post-party at Parrot Bay Café, with Red Alert providing the sounds.

It was jam-packed and standing room only as I arrived, and slowly inched my way towards the rear of the room where the band was playing. Singer Denise Trautman-Karwoski, guitarist Dave Nichols, bassist Steve Spack and drummer Greg Malec were just heading into an intermission with the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues."

Guest Ron Piljay joined Red Alert to kick off the group's nightcap set, singing lead on Bachman Turner Overdrive's "Takin' Care of Business" and Van Morrison's "Brown-Eyed Girl." Red Alert quickly refilled the small Parrot Bay dance floor, and kept it going with renditions of Wild Cherry's "Play That Funky Music," Georgia Satellites' "Keep Your Hands to Yourself," the Beatles' "Birthday," Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee," Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train," and Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" to end the set. The partying Parrot Bay crowd didn't want the music to end, and Red Alert answered their encore demands with a version of Spirit's "I've Got A Line On You" to finish the night.

Red Alert was fired up and in good form. They were instrumentally on the money, and Denise's voice was clear, powerful and rangeful as she belted it out with vigor and enthusiasm. It was a good party to cap the Johnstown portion of my weekend.

Red Alert, rocking and rolling at the Parrot Bay Café.

Denise Trautman-Karwoski of Red Alert.

Again, Denise Trautman-Karwoski of Red Alert.

Dave Nichols of Red Alert.

SILVER SUNDAY ‘BOOZE CRUISE’ ABOARD “PROUD MARY” @ LAKE RAYSTOWN 9/4/06

My usual Labor Day celebration usually doesn’t include a trip to Lake Raystown. That changed this year, though, as Silver Sunday threw a party for their fans and friends aboard the Proud Mary.

I arrived in plenty of time to board the "Booze Cruise," noting the large contingent of big carp and bluegills at dockside (and lamenting that no fishing was permitted at the docks, figures the biggest bluegills I have ever seen at Raystown were all hanging out here!). Soon it was time to board the boat, and the party was soon under way. It wasn't a huge crowd, but by the time Silver Sunday finished with them, it was a happy and well-beered-up crowd.

With "Gilligan's Island" theme music through the sound system signifying the start of the voyage and music, Silver Sunday commenced their performance. Singer Cathie, guitarist/singer Buck, bassist Mike and drummer Todd started off with Sublime's "Santeria," and got the party going with tunes from Goldfinger, Madonna, Joan Jett, No Doubt, Scandal, Veruca Salt and more. The group kept the mood upbeat, and frontlady Cathie stepped forward and worked the top deck crowd early and often to elevate the party. Silver Sunday featured highlights along the way, including a fast-firing 80's medley fusing together tunes from the GoGo's, Pat Benatar, John Mellencamp, Romantics and Billy Idol; several original songs, including "I Know," "Just Like Lisa" and others; Buck fronting the group on his 'Bucky Spears' rendition of Britney's "Hit Me Baby;" Mike fronting the group on a funky medley (which even triggered an unconfirmed 'dancing JP' sighting, hmmmm...); Todd's cowbell demonstration during the Buck-sung version of Loverboy's "Workin' For the Weekend" and more. After two hours of music and merriment, the boat pulled back into the dock, with Cathie's mother helping sing backing vocals on the group's last song.

Afterwards, an impromptu post-cruise picnic took place at a pavilion near the dock, and we got to witness Todd's roller-blading talents.

For their first "Booze Cruise," Silver Sunday's party on the lake was a good time; and successful enough that the group may do an encore next summer.

Silver Sunday rocks the boat on Lake Raystown.

Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

Cathie of Silver Sunday.

Cathie and Buck of Silver Sunday.

The Silver Sunday cruise approaches a low bridge.

Duck!!!

The band plays on under the bridge. (Idea: maybe they could learn Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Under the Bridge" for next year's cruise! Laughing

Silver Sunday clears the bridge.

Cathie tries to get a young fan to sing along.

Buck Dickson from Silver Sunday takes the party out to the audience.

Cathie recruits some ladies to help out on voice.

Again, Buck Dickson of Silver Sunday.

Mike Stanley of Silver Sunday.

Once again, Silver Sunday.

It wasn't quite the Lawrence Welk Show, but Silver Sunday fired up the bubble machine during the 'Booze Cruise.'

Silver Sunday's Labor Day cruise on the Proud Mary was a bubbly one

Cathie continues to fire up the party on the top deck.

Mike Stanley and Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

Because even a 'Booze Cruise' can't have enough cowbell, Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

Once again, Cathie of Silver Sunday.

Once again, Silver Sunday.

Like daughter, like mom; Cathie of Silver Sunday and her mom sing towards the end of the cruise.

Where Rockpage's "Skate Toad" gets his monicker.

JP's HAIKU

Silver Sunday Cruise
Raystown Labor Day party
Needed more cowbell

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1