· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 11/13/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Mar 08, 2007 

WEEKEND RECAP 11/13/06

MATT WAGNER @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 11/9/06

After a late night at the workplace, Aldo’s was the destination to finish out my evening, taking in the acoustic sounds of Matt Wagner.

For a college Thursday night, Aldo’s wasn’t particularly packed. But it was partying. One attempted trip to the men’s room was postponed when I noted somebody’s prior technicolor yawn marking the trail to the urinal. I didn’t have to go badly enough to have to chance stepping in that…

Matt Wagner’s final set of the night turned into an impromptu edition of the Matt and Loren Show, as frequent-flyer singalong guest Loren Johnson joined Matt onstage to sing several songs, including renditions of “Breathe” (by Michelle Branch?), 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up” and more. Matt did a few other songs, primarily current and recent hits; the only one I readily recognized was Hinder’s “Lips of An Angel.”

It was laid-back and relaxing, and save for the puke-lined trail to the men’s room urinal, a good time…

The Matt and Loren Show...Matt Wagner with guest Loren Johnson, performing at Aldo's.

SOMERHILL @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 11/10/06

Twenty-four hours later (actually, since I got there earlier this night, more like 23 hours), I was back at Aldo’s. The vomit from the night before had been cleaned up, and a new band to the Altoona area was making its debut this night. I was getting my first taste of Somerhill.

As it was a new band at Aldo’s this night, the attendance was on the light side; primarily friends and family of the band plus a few random Aldo’s regulars.

Formed four months before and based in both Johnstown and Pittsburgh, Somerhill features Chad Gontkovic on lead vocals, keys and acoustic guitar; Greg Kehl and Greg Gillen on guitars and bass; Bill Rose on bass, acoustic guitar and keys; and Steve Page on drums and saxes. Under way as I arrived (I’m assuming second set), Somerhill performed mostly original songs mixing together elements of modern rock and pop, folk, funk, jazz and more; their general vibe hinted at a Dave Matthews Band flavor. Their sound never stayed in one place for too long, and there were always a lot of different things going on musically from song to song. Songs such as “En Rapture, “Today or Tomorrow” and “Past the Cover” featured clever, well-developed melodies and smooth blending of various styles and textures. Chad demonstrated a strong, clear voice, and he and his bandmates fleshed out the sound with busy rhythms, layered guitars and more.

Somerhill's presentation was well-received by the Aldo's crowd this night, and I heard a lot of favorable comments from Aldo’s regulars witnessing this group for the first time. Somerhill offered something a little bit different from the heavier-edged rock that usually graces this stage on weekends. Based on this initial night, a return visit was a likelihood.

Chad Gontkovic, Bill Rose and one of the Greg's from Somerhill.

Again, Chad and Bill of Somerhill.

Once again, Chad Gontkovic from Somerhill.

Chad and Bill from Somerhill.

Steve Page of Somerhill.

Chad (playing keys) and one of the Greg's from Somerhill.

Again, Somerhill.

One more time, Somerhill.

BURGI’S BLUESFEST @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 11/11/06

I had this night circled on my calendar ever since Chuck at Burgi’s first mentioned it to me earlier in the summer; Burgi’s first-ever Bluesfest. Slated for Veteran’s Day, this event would feature some of the hottest blues-based names western PA had to offer; the Tony Mollick Project, Totem, Felix & the Hurricanes, and Pittsburgh’s legendary Norman Nardini.

Burgi’s also tabbed this as “Q94 Appreciation Night,” to honor the strong relationship between the venue and my broadcast employer. So I was here early this night to enjoy dinner with my Q94 co-workers; we would also be emceeing the proceedings as the night progressed.

First up onstage was the anticipated return of the Tony Mollick Project. As you may recall, Tony was seriously injured in a motorcycle-car crash back in June; a crash very similar to the one that befell Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger a week later. The car that cut in front of Tony and sent him flying over the handlebars also ran over him afterward; breaking both shoulders, his right humorus, clavicle and 9 ribs, and collapsing his right lung. He spent the rest of the summer and early fall in and out of hospitals, and dealing with rehab and therapy. Although still not able to play his guitar on stage this night, Tony was now able to sing alongside bandmates Fuzzy McGirk on bass and David Blake on drums. Two friends helped Tony out for this return performance; Fred Smith of Loyalhanna Southern and Felix Kos of The Hurricanes taking care of guitar duties. Inspired to be back in action, the this special edition of the Tony Mollick Project set the bar high for the evening with their set of original blues-rock numbers, plus select classics. The group performed a number of the songs from their Blues Catharsis CD; including the 50’s-styled rock’n’roller “Little Stingray” to open the set, “Forget About Me,” “That’s All Right,” “Likely Story,” “Should’ve Known Better” and “Sweet Sister.” The group also played inspired reads of ZZ Top’s “Cheap Sunglasses” and “Just Got Paid,” along with their Stevie Ray Vaughan adaptation, “Willie the (P)imp.” Tony was clearly elated to be back onstage and performing, and both Felix and Fred tightly executed the group’s setlist in the guest capacity. It was a strong start to the night, setting the stage for escalating blues-rock fireworks to follow.

Providing an inspirational highlight with his return to the stage, Tony Mollick and the Tony Mollick Project.

Back from the disabled list, Tony Mollick.

Setting the bar high at Burgi's Bluesfest, the Tony Mollick Project.

David Blake of the Tony Mollick Project.

Fuzzy McGirk of the Tony Mollick Project.

Johnstown’s Totem was up next. They took the party higher with their smoking set of classic rock and blues. Singer/guitarist Perry Sheesley, keyboardist Gene Suto, bassist Paul Lanzendorfer and drummer Tom Gajewski were on fire and displayed excellent musicianship, filling the dance floor along the way with numbers from B.B. King, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, the Allman Brothers, Jonny Lang and more. Their musicianship was tight and impeccable, with Perry’s guitar and Gene’s organ groan blending and complementing each other to create a rock solid, driving sound. Totem’s set reached a climactic high with their rendition of Gary Moore’s “Still Got the Blues,” with Perry delivering an unforgettable display on both voice and guitar that had the other guitar players in the house staring on in amazement! I had been amazed by Totem before, but this set may have been the most impressive I’ve witnessed from them yet; and in front of an appreciative, festive, packed-house Burgi’s crowd, it very likely expanded this band’s Altoona fan base, and bode well for Totem’s future visits to this venue. The bar had been bumped higher.

Before Totem's set, Dave Hopkins from the Central PA Humane Society plugs the forthcoming Chilifest, while Q94's Rose looks on.

Totem gets 'em dancing at Burgi's Bluesfest.

Perry Sheesley of Totem.

Again, Perry Sheesley of Totem.

Gene Suto of Totem.

Felix & the Hurricanes then picked up the party ball and ran with it, blending originals and classics into a tightly-wound, energetic set that quickly filled up Burgi’s dance floor. Original songs such as “Cut That Line,” “Just a Fool,” “Walkin’ A Straight Line,” “Keep On Rockin’” and “The Lonely One” smoothly mixed with favorites such as Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven,” Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” and Ted Nugent’s “Stranglehold” to fuel the dance floor party. Late in the set, Tony Mollick jumped onstage to belt out some more lead voice on Skynyrd’s “I Know a Little” and Jonny Lang’s “Rack ‘Em Up.” Felix, Jeff and Bob kept the bar high, escalating the party and providing the perfect set-up for the finale by Norman Nardini.

Felix & the Hurricanes continue the festivities at Burgi's Bluefest.

Felix Kos of the Hurricanes.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Felix & the Hurricanes fill the dance floor at Burgi's Bluefest.

Hurricanes Bob and Felix.

Tony Mollick staffs the lead microphone during Felix & the Hurricanes' set.

Once again, Tony and the Hurricanes.

Tony Mollick and Hurricane Felix.

The dance floor fun continues during Felix & the Hurricanes' set.

And boy, did Norman provide a finale! Playing for the biggest crowd he had probably seen in this town since the Cisco’s and Coaches Inn days, Norman, bassman Harry Bottoms and drummer Whitey Cooper fired things up with original rock’n’soul favorites such as “Rock and Roll City,” “Something Cookin,’” “Long Way,” “Back Where You Come From,” “Heat of the Night,” “Mr. Right Now,” “Ready Freddy” and more. An early humorous highlight for me was when Norman and his band did the slow song “Sick and Tired,” as a number of couples took to the dance floor to grind to a song with lyrics about being ‘sick and tired’ of a significant other’s bitching and complaining! Midway through the set, Norman invited a cast from the other three bands; Felix from the Hurricanes, Perry from Totem, and Tony and Fred from the Tony Mollick Project; to join him onstage. It was jam session time! The gathered musicians proceeded to have a blast jamming out on renditions of Elmore James’ “Shake Your Moneymaker,” “Shake Rattle & Roll,” “Got My Mojo Workin’” and more. Smiles were abundant on the musicians’ faces and on audience faces as well; as the jam festivities drew to a close, Felix remarked, “Hey guys, can we all get together and do this again next weekend?”

Thus capped an unforgettable evening. The inaugural Burgi’s Bluesfest provided nonstop musical fireworks and highlights galore, gave a packed-house audience a healthy dose of hearty blues and blues rock, and served notice about the quality of blues and blues rock here in western PA. Hopefully there will be sequels to this night; and if so, I’m there!

Norman Nardini's drummer, Whitey Cooper.

Norman Nardini and his band.

Again, Norman Nardini.

Let the jam session begin!

Perry Sheesley and Felix Kos ingite the guitar fireworks as the jamming heats up.

Again, Perry and Felix.

The revelry onstage continues to heat up.

Shakin' rattlin' and rollin' at Burgi's Bluesfest, Norman Nardini and his friends.

The party continues.

You can tell these guys are having fun! Perry Sheesley and Felix Kos.

Again, Perry and Felix.

On the microphone, Tony Mollick and Fred Smith.

Kicking out the jams during Burgi's Bluesfest.

Perry Sheesley, Felix Kos and some happy, dancing people.

Norman Nardini and some happy guitar players.

The festivities continue.

Again, Norman Nardini and friends.

Jammin' on his guitar, Norman Nardini.

With Loren Johnson busting some dance moves next to him, Norman Nardini.

Again, Mark "Whitey Clyde" Cooper.

Again, Hurricane Felix.

More of the Norman Nardini jamfest.

Felix Kos and Whitey Cooper.

GO GO GADJET @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 11/12/06

Pellegrine’s again provided the conclusion to my weekend, this time with eastern PA party force Go Go Gadjet making their first ever Pelly’s visit.

Unfortunately, new band names seem to scare the fickle Pelly’s clientele, and attendance this night was light. Even worse, it was largely an unresponsive crowd until the middle of the last set, despite Go Go Gadjet’s best attempts to light a fire under their butts and draw them onto the dance floor. Arriving during the second set, I watched as Go Go Gadjet tried to fire up the crowd with favorites from Fallout Boy, Green Day, Buckcherry, Outfield, Eve 6, Kelly Clarkston and more; attracting only a scant few bodies onto the dance floor along the way despite their spirited and enthusiastic performance.

The nightcap set fared somewhat better, but it took a little while. The group opened the set with a medley stringing together tunes from No Doubt, Inxs, Michael Jackson, the Beatles and Green Day; before venturing into the classic rock realm for tunes from Journey and Billy Joel. Go Go Gadjet fused together Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy” with Garth Brooks’ “Friends In Low Places;” before finishing out the night with versions of Madonna’s “Like A Virgin,” Bon Jovi’s “Living On A Prayer” and Stealer’s Wheel’s “Stuck In the Middle with You.” The group started drawing a few more bodies onto the dance floor as this set professed, but this Pelly’s audience was a tough and sluggish crowd to get moving.

Persistence eventually paid off for Go Go Gadjet, but this crowd still lacked the energy and excitement these guys are usually used to seeing a few blocks away at the 4D's Lounge. Pelly's, based on this night, will be a tougher nut to crack.

Tim Duncan of Go Go Gadjet.

It took some persistence and patience, but Go Go Gadjet did eventually get some people onto the dance floor.

Jeff Tomrell of Go Go Gadjet.

Guitarist Chris Schwartz of Go Go Gadjet.

Again, Jeff Tomrell of Go Go Gadjet.

Again, Tim Duncan of Go Go Gadjet.

Again, Chris Schwartz of Go Go Gadjet.

Once again, Chris of Go Go Gadjet.

Taking the party to the crowd, Tony Mancuso of Go Go Gadjet.

Again, Tony of Go Go Gadjet.

JP’S HAIKU

Burgi’s first Bluesfest
TMP, Totem, Canes, Norman
Kickass jam session

http://pamusician.net

Last edited by Jim Price on Friday Dec 18, 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »