· The Final Cut
Another for you computer guys
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Sunday Nov 14, 2004 

We got over run with popups this week and there was a few programs in my program files that weren't supposed to be there but Macafee wasn't picking them up, anyway I couldn't delete a couple of them since they were always running so I went into safe mode and deleted them......... Here's were the problem comes, a folder called Backweb was in there and sounded like some type of bullshit program so I deleted it now everytime I start the computer I get a error messge that Backweb can't be found.

So what the hell is Backweb and do I need it for something? If I do how do I get it back now? ( Recycle bin is already emptied ) If not how do I get rid of the error message?
bassist_25

Hey Tony,

Backweb appears to be a piece of software for transferring files. By the sounds of it, it seems to be used as a form of spyware. Here's some instructions on how to remove it.

http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/359-p1.php

There's a ton of files you have to find and delete. Once you clean your registry and get rid of those files, you shouldn't get that annoying error. Also, check your startup list and see if backweb is checked. Let me know if you need anymore help.
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Hey Thanks Paul, Looks a little involved so I'll give it a shot later tonight when I can spend a little time on it.

By the way, good meeting you the other night and good jammin
f.sciarrillo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Nov 17, 2004 

That is a program used to auto update your software, it's not "really" spyware. They say some auto update programs are "spyware" because of how it contacts home to get the files needed, or the notice that an update is ready .. All you have to do to disable it is open the program and deselected auto update. Or go to your start up folder. "Start/programs/startup" and delete it.

Also just deleting the program files is not really a good idea. A lot of the programs aren't self executable, other-wards run from the program files folder. When you install them it puts files in other areas throughout your pc. Places like the Registry, windows folder, autorun folder, ect. The best thing to do when wanting to remove a folder from your program files folder is to do and uninstall. If that don't remove you can then manually remove it. just deleting them can cause some problems to your computer.

In your situation it is an autorun program for updates, all you have to do there is just disable the auto update or delete it from the startup folder I stated above ..

Hope this helps ..
bassist_25

Post Posted: Thursday Nov 18, 2004 

f.sciarrillo wrote:
That is a program used to auto update your software, it's not "really" spyware. They say some auto update programs are "spyware" because of how it contacts home to get the files needed, or the notice that an update is ready

Yeah, that's why I said that it seemed like spyware. It seems like some people like the auto-update software and some don't. The IT company I use to work for always installed Big Fix on new computers. It drove some people nuts. Especially when it was set to automatically update. (Often times, the computer would reboot after updating)
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: