· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 10/4/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Dec 14, 2004 

WEEKEND RECAP 10/4/04

JOHN STIFFLER @ CRESSON AREA HERITAGE DAYS, CRESSON 10/1/04

The first weekend in October usually brings a log jam of fall festivals and autumn-related events. This year was no exception.

Day job and night job collided this night, as I was doing a live radio broadcast from the annual Cresson Heritage Days celebration, kicking off this night along Front Street in Cresson. I did my version of multi-tasking; as in between on-air breaks, I took in the performance of John Stiffler.

I’ve been aware of John Stiffler for some time now, and know that he performs venues from Cambria County to State College. But this was the first time I had the chance to see him myself. John sang and played electric guitar against a programmed music backdrop, doing a wide variety of music spanning the 50’s through 80’s, including rock’n’roll, R&B, pop standards and more. The repertoire during his first set spanned Billy Joel’s “My Life” and “Piano Man” to the Eagles’ “New Kid in Town,” Bruce Springsteen’s “Hungry Heart,” Louie Armstrong’s “What a Wonderful World,” Tony Orlando & Dawn’s “Knock Three Times,” tunes from Elvis and more.

John’s simple set-up got the job done. He wasn’t particularly loud, allowing festival-goers to be able to converse and mingle without having to shout over the music. John’s music mix worked as well, receiving polite and appreciative response from an audience spanning toddlers to seniors.

John’s nightcap set picked up where the first left off, mixing more songs and hits from the 50’s through 80’s. John’s set list this time included Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl,” Queen’s “Crazy Little Thing Called Love,” Bob Seger’s “Old Time Rock’n’Roll,” the Drifters’ “Up On The Roof,” Elvis’ “Battle Hymn of the Republic” and “Can’t Help Falling in Love with You,” “Hokey Pokey” and more, eventually concluding with Elton John’s “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me.”

What I saw from John Stiffler was good, and he received a good response from this Cresson audience. His simple, low-key presentation is probably best suited for smaller venues; but worked well for this smaller festival situation as well.

John Stiffler, entertaining during Cresson’s Heritage Days festivities.

HI-TYDE/SILVER SUNDAY/FLIGHT 19 @ “THE UNDERGROUND TV” KICKOFF BASH PART I, ALDO’S, ALTOONA 10/1/04

After completing my remote broadcast duties, descending the mountain from Cresson and taking in a quick supper, I was off to Aldo’s to help new local music television program The Underground TV celebrate their premiere with the first of two kick-off parties.

I arrived late during Hi-Tyde’s opening set, and missed all but two songs. The two songs I heard were original songs, featuring a harder, modern-geared sound. Hopefully I will catch another Hi-Tyde show soon and get caught up on more of the group’s developing original songs.

A good-sized crowd was assembled at Aldo’s; definitely the most I had seen here on a Friday night in a while. As The Underground TV was taping the party for the first episode of the program the following weekend, several cameramen were circulating around the premises, shooting footage of bands and revelers.

After a short changeover intermission, the night’s second band, Silver Sunday, took the stage. Singer Cathie, guitarists Jason and Buck, bassist Steve and drummer Todd set the festive mood of their set early, opening with Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive,” Scandal’s “The Warrior” and Alanis Morisette’s “You Oughta Know.” Silver Sunday then launched into three original songs, “I Know” and “Naked,” plus the darker and heavier “Cathedral Lights,” with vocal assistance from Jason Mittan. The group then kicked into an 80’s medley, featuring Madonna’s “Material Girl,” Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock and Roll,” the GoGo’s “Vacation,” John Mellencamp’s “R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.,” the Romantics’ “What I Like About You,” a Buck-fronted take on Billy Idol’s “Dancing with Myself” and more. After Blondie’s “One Way or Another,” Silver Sunday did their fractured version of Loverboy’s “Working for the Weekend,” with Buck lending a goth-styled lead vocal, and Todd contributing a cowbell solo midway through. Silver Sunday then closed out their upbeat set with The Outfield’s “Your Love” and Guns’n’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’Mine.” In all, this was a fairly strong set from Silver Sunday, which drew its share of dance floor participants and revelers. The group seemed a little more reserved and cautious, possibly due to the television taping. Cathie didn’t appear to be mixing it up with the crowd quite as much, and Buck and Steve were more business-like in their performance. But it still gelled together fairly well, and was a respectable showing for Silver Sunday.

Silver Sunday helps The Underground TV celebrate their premiere.

Cathie of Silver Sunday.

Once again, Cathie and Silver Sunday.

Jason Wechs of Silver Sunday.

Todd “Slackass Bookie Guy” Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

After a few introductory words from Underground TV mastermind Chris Peters, the night’s final band, Flight 19, kicked off their set. Flight 19 took to the skies with their raucous party original tune, “Hands,” which prompted some instant dance floor action, and even a few festive ladies dancing alongside band members onstage. Flight 19 followed up with another original, “Play the Game,” before cranking out versions of Velvet Revolver’s “Slither” and Nickelback’s “Figure You Out.” The group then shifted into their bluesy original, “Unlock,” before guitarist Scott Imler took over lead mic to belt voice on Jet’s “Cold Hearted Bitch.” After Deadeye Dick’s “New Age Girl,” one of the group’s new original songs, followed by Cold’s “Stupid Girl,” another original tune and Lit’s “My Own Worst Enemy.” Guitarist John McKelvey then sang lead on Gary Numan’s “Cars,” before Flight 19 capped their set with White Zombie’s “Thunder Kiss ‘65” and another original song. Flight 19 gave a spirited performance, with frontman Brian Thomas constantly rallying the audience to get crazy up front. Instrumentally the group was again strong, with drummer Darin Hand and bassist Sean Johnson laying the steady, sturdy, hard-rocking foundation for Scott, John and Brian to do their thing. Although the Aldo’s crowd never got quite as crazy for this group as audiences at other venues often do, this was still a fun set, and an appropriate blast to finish the first half of The Underground TV’s inaugural celebration.

Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Flight 19 brings the party at The Underground TV kickoff celebration.

Sean Johnson of Flight 19.

Once again, Flight 19.

Putting his hand in the air, hell yeah – Brian Thomas and Flight 19.

Flight 19 achieves party altitude at Aldo’s.

Once again, Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Darin Hand of Flight 19.

ROSIE & THE JAMMERS/ZUPE @ EBENSBURG POTATOFEST, EBENSBURG 10/2/04

As mentioned earlier, the first weekend in October has become one of the busiest weekends for festivals in this part of the world. The aforementioned Cresson Heritage Days, Altoona Railfest, Gallitzin Tunnelfest, Prince Gallitzin Apple Cider Festival (which I missed this year), the Pennsylvania Giant Pumpkin Grower’s Association Pumpkin Weigh-Off (which I did a live radio broadcast from earlier this day), and this event, Ebensburg Potatofest.

The weather had been good for the early part of the day, with temperatures in the upper 60’s and sunshine early on. But rain and thunderstorms were in the forecast, something I was aware of as I made the journey up the hill to Ebensburg for their annual celebration of the spud. It was clouding up as I parked my car at Lake Rowena and took the free shuttle bus ride to the festival (parking in downtown Ebensburg is always a pain in the neck during Potatofest). Rosie & the Jammers were just setting up to perform as I made my first trek up High Street to sample potato-based foodstuffs. Shortly after I purchased an order of fries, it started drizzling, and some people started moving for cover.

Although the drizzle was moderate and steady, it didn’t dissuade me from my appointed musical rounds, and I braved the moisture to take in part of Rosie & the Jammers’ set. Keyboardist/singer/group namesake Rosie Sida, saxophonist Bryan Anator and singer/guitarist Jim Mosey mixed vintage rock’n’roll, country and polkas for the brave few who stuck around to watch. Despite the weather and its attrition on the crowd, Rosie & the Jammers had fun and kept the mood upbeat with songs such as Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Proud Mary,” Waylon Jennings’ “Good Hearted Woman,” Jimmy Buffett’s “Margaritaville,” Bobby Vinton’s “Blue Velvet,” select polkas and more. Two teenaged girls, obviously not bothered by the rain, began dancing in front of the tent during one of the polka numbers, while other passers-by politely applauded as they seeked dry shelter.

After watching Rosie & the Jammers for a few minutes, I headed up Center Street to catch part of Zupe’s set. Likewise, Zupe was playing to a rain-stunted audience. I took up refuge under the dry side of a nearby tree, and watched as Zupe entertained with versions of Jimmy Buffett’s “Margaritaville” and the Righteous Brothers’ “Unchained Melody.” But during the latter tune, the skies opened further, and the drizzle rapidly increased into a heavy downpour, prompting Zupe to abbreviate his set at this point and end the performance abruptly. Zupe invited me to take shelter under his tent (thanks much!), as he hastily broke down his keyboards and computerization to spare them from the excess moisture.

After the rain died down, I made my way back down Center Street to Rosie & the Jammers’ tent, where the group was in the final stages of breaking down their gear. Thanks to Jim Mosey for giving me the lift back to my car at Lake Rowena, sparing me having to wait in the rain for the shuttle bus!

Alas, it seems Ebensburg Potatofest almost always is cursed by the weather. At least this year, it was about 20 degrees warmer than last year, and the precipitation was rain, not sleet or snow showers! (Since this day, it has been announced that next year’s Ebensburg Potatofest is being moved up to late September; apparently the organizers are tired of the changeable October weather as well!)

Bryan Anator of Rosie & the Jammers.

Having fun in spite of the weather, Rosie Sida of Rosie & the Jammers.

Jim Mosey of Rosie & the Jammers.

Two young ladies dance in the rain during Rosie & the Jammers’ performance.

One brave fan (Zupe’s wife) sits in the rain to watch Zupe in action at Potatofest.

Zupe, singing in the rain at Potatofest.

THE PIPEBOMBS/THE MARAUDERS/COINMONSTER @ “THE UNDERGROUND TV” KICKOFF BASH PART II, ALDO’S, ALTOONA 10/2/04

After heading back down the mountain and drying off, I returned to Aldo’s for the second half of The Underground TV kickoff celebration.

I was a little apprehensive about how attendance for this half of The Underground TV’s premiere celebration would be. The bill featured an eclectic trio of bands – Altoona hardcore punk rockers The Pipebombs, local rockabilly/roots rockers The Marauders, and New Castle technical ecstasy wizards Coinmonster. Three widely different, original bands – would people come out?

As I arrived at Aldo’s, the answer was an emphatic YES! Aldo’s parking lot was full, as was all available parking along Chestnut Avenue and at the adjacent dentist office’s parking lot (where I usually park). I wound up parking half a block away! Once inside, Aldo’s was wall to wall people – even packing the restaurant room and back bar area!

The Pipebombs were in the middle of their set, slamming forth agitated, full-ferocity punk rock. Mike, John, Jon, and Chris were over the top and caution-to-the-wind; their tunes bristled with intensity as the Underground camera crew recorded live footage from the stagefront. Over-the-top and intense as The Pipebombs were, I could only catch one of their song titles – “Do You Guys Want to Come Back to Altoona,” which ended the set. Although The Pipebombs’ performance was jagged and acidic, they still received decent response from the packed Aldo’s audience.

With The Underground TV camera catching their performance, The Pipebombs.

Again, The Pipebombs.

During the first intermission, I proceeded to Aldo’s main bar to witness one of the big attractions this night, the Jagermeister ice luge. Carved from a block of ice, the premise of the ice luge was that Jager fans could buy a shot of the ice cold beverage, pour it in at the top of the luge, and the drink would descend down the luge to the purchaser’s awaiting mouth – ice cold! Not a big Jager drinker myself, I did not do the ice luge, but watched as others enjoyed their Jager shots with this unique innovation.

Soon, The Marauders took the stage, and at least judging by the way the audience packed onto the stagefront floor, this was the band many of them were there to see. This was the first I had seen The Marauders since the 814 Riot before St. Patrick’s Day, and the first I would get to hear some of the tunes from the group’s forthcoming new album, Midnight Rhythm, expected out shortly. Singer/guitarist Ben Dumm, upright bass player Chris Lawson and drummer Abe Weber opened their set with “Roadkill” from their first album, Alibi, and the party was on! The group proceeded to mix old and new roots-rocking tunes. I didn’t catch a lot of titles of the new tunes except for “Kill Pop Radio;” but the new tunes were as fiery, fun and consistent as faves like “Hey My My,” “Late Night Livin,’” “New Tattoo,” “Alibi” and more – based on what I heard here, the new album should rock! The Marauders and their audience fed off one another, keeping the excitement level of this set at a feverish high.

Chris Lawson of The Marauders.

The Marauders, rocking a jam-packed house at Aldo’s.

Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

Again, The Marauders, doing some ‘late night livin’ at Aldo’s.

Abe Weber of The Marauders.

Again, Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

How long has it been since we’ve seen this? Aldo’s upstairs balcony in use!

After the Marauders’ set, an interesting point of the show. Would this crowd – much of it here for The Marauders – stick around for Coinmonster, or would they vacate Aldo’s and skunk Coinmonster after their long journey to be here? And how would Coinmonster’s unique brand of technically-amazing, rapidfire music go over with this crowd, many who likely never saw this band before? Would they dig it, or would it be over their heads? The next few minutes would answer these questions.

As it turned out, the crowd stuck around, and moreso, they cheered on Coinmonster as they demonstrated their talents onstage; it was the biggest crowd Coinmonster had played to in this town yet! Singer/guitarst Jon Reider, bassist Rick Stoner and drummer David Galazia let fly with their amazing blend of elaborate melodies encased in freewheeling tempo and chord shifts, sudden stops and starts, and unexpected side journeys, all executed in rapidfire fashion with airtight pacing. Songwise, the group seemed to lean towards the newer material from their last two CD’s, The Schematic and Tilton Johnson; the only specific song title I picked out was “Amateur Smut” off the former. Coinmonster did include one remake, a surprise dissection of Jethro Tull’s “Hymn 43.” Again, it was amazing to witness this trio doing the types of technically dazzling and mesmerizing things they were doing, all three members concise and on the money, and without missing a beat! As others before me have stated, the only logical explanation of how Coinmonster does what they do is that these three musicians must be telepathically linked together, or otherwise mentally united in some sort of musical stream of consciousness. It was cool to see this band finally get to play to a large crowd in this town, and a crowd that stuck around and cheered their efforts. Hopefully this leads to increased Coinmonster sightings in this neck of the woods soon.

This brought The Underground TV’s kickoff party to a close. This was probably one of the best-attended weekends Aldo’s has seen in quite a while; hopefully this translated into momentum and viewership as The Underground TV lifts off in their inaugural season; and paved the way for more Underground-related original music showcases in Aldo’s and other local venues.

Rick Stoner of Coinmonster.

Jon Reider of Coinmonster.

Coinmonster, bringing their technical ecstasy to Aldo’s.

David Galazia of Coinmonster.

Again, Jon Reider of Coinmonster.

Once again, Jon Reider of Coinmonster

David Galazia of Coinmonster.

With The Underground cameras rolling, Coinmonster dazzles Aldo’s.

One more time, Jon Reider of Coinmonster.

Jon Reider and David Galazia of Coinmonster.

Again, David Galazia of Coinmonster.

Coinmonster, kicking ass and taking names…

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 10/3/04

It had been a while since I did any Sunday Hurricaning. When a number of musicians taking part in the Q94 “Backyard Rocker” Acoustic Jam Special earlier in the evening announced they were heading to The Hitching Post afterward to jam with Felix and the boys, I decided The Hitching Post was where my weekend needed to conclude.

I arrived close to midnight, in the midst of the Hurricanes’ second set of the night, and the onstage guests and jam sessions were on! With Acid Reflux’s Dwane Edmiston and former Stix and Stones guitarist Rick Ramsey and drummer Red Solinski joining lead ‘Cane Felix Kos and bassist Jeff Clapper, the Hurricanes were performing a lively read of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” before a good-sized Hitching Post crowd. This same line-up then continued with Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here,” with Rick singing lead. Rick then led the Hurricanes in a salute to Johnny Cash, emulating “the Man In Black’s” deep voice on versions of “A Boy Named Sue” and “Ring Of Fire.” Bob Watters returned to the ‘Canes drum kit, with Red moving to congas, and Dwane helping out with guitar on the set-closing version of Ted Nugent’s “Stranglehold,” inspiring some Hitching Post dance floor activity at stagefront.

Neil Young was the prevalent flavor as the Hurricanes’ final set got under way. Rick Ramsey and Red Solinski started things off with acoustic renderings of “Heart Of Gold” and “Old Man,” before Dwane Edmiston took up position behind the drum kit for Neil’s “Down By The River.” Then it was a little country crooning, as Rick sang lead on Jimmie Rodgers’ “In the Jailhouse Now.” The full Hurricanes line-up then returned to the stage and continued with the title track from their first CD, The Feeling, with Rick helping out on guitar. Joined by Rick and Red, the ‘Canes returned to pickin’ and grinnin’ mode with versions of the ever-popular “Rocky Top” and John Michael Montgomery’s “Sold (The Grundy County Auction Incident),” Charlie Daniels’ “Long Haired Country Boy,” and the Rick-fronted version of John Denver’s “Thank God I’m a Country Boy.” With Rick, Red and Hurricaniac Harry Bottoms helping out, the Hurricanes closed out the night with the Jeff Clapper-fronted original tune “Black Widow.”

Just as I expected, this was a night of Hurricanes and their musical guests cutting loose and having fun. The musicians had fun mixing it up with one another onstage, and the audience had fun hooting and hollering along. It was the perfect blast to send another weekend into the books…

Dwane Edmiston, Rick Ramsey and Red Solinski join Hurricanes Felix and Jeff at The Hitching Post.

Rick Ramsey.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: