· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 11/8/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Jan 14, 2005 

WEEKEND RECAP 11/8/04

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 11/4/04

A long evening at the workplace resulted in a late start to my live music adventures this night, and as a result, the reliable short trip up the street to Peter C’s to see what Felix & the Hurricanes were up to.

Despite chilly, rainy, windy weather, a good crowd of Peter C’s regulars and Hurricaniacs were in attendance. The group – with unofficial fourth Hurricane Dick Kos onstage – soon reconvened with their final set of the night. The group started with several originals, doing “On the Bottom Again,” “Keep On Rockin,’” the reggae-flavored “Talk About Love” and “Lonely One.”

At this point, the Hurricanes again demonstrated their ability to wing it. As Felix, Dick and Jeff began the intro to the Allman Brothers’ “Blue Skys,” drummer Bob suddenly vaulted from his drum kit and did a rest room pitstop. Felix explained that Bob’s nickname was “Liberace” because he was the “pee-in’est!” Felix, still playing the opening licks to the song on guitar, sidestepped his way over to Bob’s drum kit and began tapping out the bass drum beat with his foot, and the group delivered an extended intro to the song until Bob could return from the boys’ room, light up a new cigarette and return to his position behind the kit! The full group then proceeded with the rest of the song, with the Kos brothers slicing and dicing hot solos on their respective guitars, and Dick throwing the spotlight to bassist Jeff to boom out some spicy bass licks. The group then continued in the Allman Brothers vein with “Dreams,” again showing maximum virtuosity on their respective instruments and dazzling the Peter C’s crowd.

After this song, Dick Kos’ girlfriend, Sharon Perry, stepped up to the stage to make a special announcement: A longtime military man and reservist, Dick had just been given the option of retiring from military duty; Sharon announced that Dick had instead signed on for 3 more years of serving his country! The Peter C’s audience roared applause and appreciation to Dick; before the Hurricanes played a birthday request to finish out the night, Dire Straits’ “Sultans of Swing.”

In all, it was another fun night of Hurricanes grooves, musicianship and fun; yet again justifying my decision to pick Peter C’s this night to take it all in…

3 BROKEN DOLLS @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 11/5/04

It had been a little while since I had seen 3 Broken Dolls in action, so I started this Friday night by checking in for a progress report on this trio at City Limits.

The group has undergone one change since I last saw them. Guitarist Dusty Sipes has since exited the band, and Altoona’s Rob Lynn replaced him. I was interested in seeing how Rob’s addition impacted 3 Broken Dolls’ style and sound.

As expected for a Friday night in Altoona, not much audience was present at City Limits as I arrived, procured my first foamy adult beverage and seated myself early into 3 Broken Dolls’ first set. New man Rob, singer/bassist Kevin Price and drummer Mike Ross mixed original songs with current and 90’s rock favorites during this first set. After a version of Green Day’s “When I Come Around,” the trio did an original tune, the faster and aggressive “Prozac.” After a current power-punk cover, the group introduced another original song, the darker and harder-edged “Evil Mother,” where Rob demonstrated some dazzling ability on the frets. 3 Broken Dolls proceeded with versions of 3 Doors Down’s “Kryptonite,” Bush’s “Machinehead” (in celebration of the results of the presidential election earlier in the week), and Chevelle’s “Red.” The trio then did “Life’s Too Short,” an original song from their CD What Happened to the American Dream, before wrapping up their first set with Nickelback’s “Figure You Out.”

3 Broken Dolls’ performance was a mixed bag. Their strongest songs were the original tunes, which the trio executed with fire and conviction. Their covers ranged from passable – on the Green Day and Nickelback numbers – to outright trainwrecks on “Kryptonite” (where the group was instrumentally out of synch) and “Red” (Kevin’s voice wasn’t quite achieving the highs). 3 Broken Dolls seemed more confident on their original songs, and more tentative and unsure of themselves on the cover material.

A few people left City Limits during the intermission, and as 3 Broken Dolls began their next set, less than 10 people populated the venue altogether. The group continued with their mix of favorites and original songs, opening with a ‘clean’ version of Puddle Of Mudd’s “She Hates Me” (Kevin explained afterward that his wife was in the audience and didn’t like hearing him swear; Rob made up for it by being the group’s designated ‘f-bomber’). The group continued with versions of Ugly Kid Joe’s “(I Hate) Everything About You,” Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid,” Poison’s “Every Rose Has Its Thorn,” White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army;” tunes from Don Henley/The Ataris, Stone Temple Pilots, Bob Dylan, and Bryan Adams’ “Summer Of 69.” These covers again ranged from mostly passable to a total abortion on the Bryan Adams number. By this point, one remaining table of ladies had left the building, and the audience was now less than five people. The group took an interesting twist, with Rob handling the lead vocal on a version of the Misfits’ “Die Die My Darling.” The group re-did their original song from earlier, “Evil Mother;” introduced an instrumental jam number they had been working on, and ended the second set – and the night – with the Beastie Boys’ “Fight For Your Right (to Party).”

Needless to say, these Broken Dolls need fixed, and this band still needs some work. As said earlier, 3 Broken Dolls was strongest on their own original material; but lacked confidence and tightness on the cover songs, and the performances were mediocre at best. Kevin seemed uptight on the lead mic, and even forgot words on a few songs. Instrumentally this group still needs to log more hours in the practice room to tighten it up. Perhaps the addition of another bass player or singer might free up Kevin to concentrate more on one aspect of his performance instead of two, and enable the group to solidify more as a whole.

Bottom line, this show didn’t get it done this night at City Limits. No band ever wants to see patrons vanish from a room; they did this night. Hopefully 3 Broken Dolls will step back and take a serious look at the product they are putting out on stage, and do what is necessary to improve their game. Otherwise, more nights like this one are very much a likelihood.

3 Broken Dolls attempt to get the party going at City Limits.

Kevin Price of 3 Broken Dolls.

Rob Lynn of 3 Broken Dolls.

Again, Kevin Price of 3 Broken Dolls.

Kevin Price and Rob Lynn of 3 Broken Dolls.

Mike Ross of 3 Broken Dolls.

Once again, 3 Broken Dolls.

POP SHOP @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 11/5/04

With 3 Broken Dolls’ show done just after midnight, I had time to catch another band’s performance, so I headed up Pleasant Valley Boulevard to the 4D’s Lounge to catch the nightcap set from Pop Shop.

Although not crowded, there was still a respectable mid-sized crowd at the 4D’s – including most of the audience that had vacated City Limits earlier! I touched base with Pop Shop frontman Eric Klein, who told me the group’s new drummer, Darrin Klingman, was playing only his second gig with the group this night. I made my way up to a table in front of the stage and dance floor, and witnessed the final chapter of Pop Shop’s party.

The third set kicked off in the dance/hip-hop vein, which succeeded in drawing nearly half of the audience onto the dance floor. Eric and frontlady Kelly Daniels shared and swapped vocal duties, and eventually proceeded into the Bee Gees' disco classic "Stayin' Alive." Eric fronted PopShop while Kelly danced during Bon Jovi's "Livin' On A Prayer." Kelly returned to the stage to sing Madonna's "Material Girl," and continued with Joan Jett's "I Love Rock'n'Roll" and Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl." Eric belted out the Brian Johnson howl on AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long," before Kelly and PopShop surprised me by breaking out Divinyls' "I Touch Myself." The group closed out the dance party and the evening with Madonna's "Like A Virgin."

As expected, PopShop's performance was sharp and on the mark. Both Eric's and Kelly's voices were in good form, working effectively both individually and in tandem with one another. The group's instrumental corps of guitarists Dan Franks and Tom Sweeney, bassist Brian Boettger and new drummer Darrin kept it tight and energetic. Darrin appeared to fit into his new band environs comfortably and didn't display any obvious lapses or miscues during the time I was watching. PopShop executed their pop-rock party like a well-oiled machine, with the production crew of Brian McConnell and Dave Wertz making it all sound and look good.

This show served me with the reminder that PopShop still provides one of the region's strongest onstage parties; and is a safe bet if you're looking for a fun option on a regional stage during a given weekend.

Dan Franks, Brian Boettger and Eric Klein of PopShop.

Tom Sweeney of PopShop.

The new guy, Darrin Klingman of PopShop.

PopShop gets the dance floor moving.

Eric Klein of PopShop.

With Kelly Daniels staffing the keys behind them, Eric Klein and Tom Sweeney of PopShop.

Brian Boettger of PopShop.

Once again, Darrin Klingman of PopShop.

Kelly Daniels of PopShop.

Joined by some dancers onstage, Kelly Daniels of PopShop.

The onstage dance party continues.

Kelly Daniels and Eric Klein of PopShop.

SHADES OF JUNE/STONE KROW (REUNION) @ WESTMONT GARDENS, JOHNSTOWN 11/6/04

This night's agenda had me on the road to Johnstown, to check out the long-awaited reunion of Stone Krow, a band that was on the verge of some great things on the regional music scene when they decided to go their separate ways two years ago. Singer Eric Voeghtly hooked up with Johnstownian metal monsters Deviance in the interim, a stint that lasted through the release of the group's debut CD, Contagion, last spring. But Eric and Deviance decided to separate, citing creative differences; which freed Eric up to re-assemble Stone Krow with guitarist A.J. Hamara, bassist Chris Holsopple and drummer Frank Tomaselli. The anticipation built over two months to this night, when Stone Krow would return to the live stage.

I arrived at Westmont Gardens midway through the set of the opening band, Shades Of June. This band has undergone a complete transformation since the last time I witnessed them; back when they were Shadow 5. Guitarist/singer Ryan Krinjeck is the only remaining member from that incarnation, and he no longer sings lead. Former Hardly Knew Her frontlady April Karlheim handled the lion’s share of lead vocal duties during this set. Former Edison/Fuse member Chris McConnell plays drums, and Chris Myer bass.

Musically, Shades Of June has also changed, switching their focus to a more modern alternative setlist and sound. The group kicked into White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army” as I arrived and procured my first brew. April was clearly the focal point, stepping out onto the Gardens dance floor and taking her presentation to the large, mostly seated crowd. She convincingly belted out the lead on the Cranberries’ “Zombie” and confidently handled Nickelback’s “Figure You Out;” before she and Ryan shared lead voice duties on an original number, “Be Anything.” Shades Of June stepped up the aggression in the set’s homestretch, escalating to the end with Jet’s “Are You Gonna Be My Girl,” Linkin Park’s “One Step Closer” and Rage Against the Machine’s “Bulls On Parade.”

This current Shades Of June line-up gelled well this night, and has successfully transformed into their present, more aggressive modern style. This group’s execution was tight and confident, and April’s style is more in-your-face and out front than before. I was impressed by what I witnessed of this set, and will be keeping an eye out to catch another Shades Of June performance soon.

The anticipation continued to build for Stone Krow’s return, as fans started assembling at the front of the stage during the intermission. Several other bands were representing and showing their support this night, including members of Lost Ledny and Pivot.

Soon Stone Krow was ready, and frontman Eric Voeghtly kicked off the comeback by leading a cheer, shouting to the crowd “Can we get a ‘HELL YEAH!?” After the audience responded and yelled “Hell Yeah!” back to him, Eric followed with, “Can we get a ‘Hail Mary’ – we haven’t done this in a while!”

From there, it was on! Stone Krow got down to business right away, kicking off their return with Korn’s “Blind,” and continuing with heavy-edged modern favorites from Tool, Godsmack, Rage Against the Machine, Disturbed, White Zombie, Sevendust, Staind and more. It didn’t take long for the four musicians to get back up to speed, and the Gardens crowd quickly filled up the dance floor area in front of the stage to cheer the band on. An unidentified guest singer stepped up and helped with vocals on a Linkin Park number, and in the set’s latter stages, Lost Ledny frontman Matt Cherry provided backing vocals during Alice In Chains’ “Man In The Box.”

The group battled some feedback hum issues during the first set, but executed pretty tightly for not having played together onstage in two years. Eric was clearly happy to be fronting Stone Krow again, at one point stating to the crowd, “This feels like home!” The atmosphere was festive and charged, and fans remained in front of the stage during the intermission, eagerly anticipating Stone Krow’s second and final set.

A version of Coal Chamber’s “Hypnotic” triggered Stone Krow’s second set, and this Johnstown crowd was again crowded up front and cheering along. Korn’s “Freak On A Leash” followed, and Stone Krow proceeded with hard-hitting tunes from Trapt, A Perfect Circle, more Tool and Rage, System Of A Down and more, eventually finishing the set with a Godsmack number. The Gardens audience immediately demanded an encore, and Stone Krow delivered two more songs, Drowning Pool’s “Bodies” and Godsmack’s “Whatever.”

Stone Krow’s comeback performance was a successful one, as the band picked up where they left off and rocked the house. The group was quickly back to firing on all cylinders, and their presentation was confident and fiery. The combination of enthusiastic band and appreciative, festive crowd made for an exciting and memorable show.

It was good to see Stone Krow back in action. Here’s hoping the group keeps it going, and moves forward from where they left off two years ago.

With frontlady April laying down on the job, Shades Of June.

Leaving it all on the stage and dance floor, April Karlheim and Shades Of June.

Eric Voeghtly of Stone Krow.

Chris Holsopple of Stone Krow.

Chris Holsopple and Eric Voeghtly of Stone Krow.

Frank Tomaselli of Stone Krow.

Once again, Chris Holsopple of Stone Krow.

Again, Eric Voeghtly of Stone Krow.

Stone Krow, rocking the Westmont stagefront masses.

JUICED @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 11/7/04

To conclude the weekend, Pellegrine’s again provided the setting, as I checked in on Juiced.

It had been nearly 2½ months since my last look at this band, and I was curious to observe their progress since their midsummer roster moves, and their progress in winning and maintaining their Altoona area fan base.

As I arrived during their second set, it looked bleak. Although there was a crowd in the house, they were unresponsive and not dancing at this point of the night; even though Juiced was breaking out the heavy party artillery, including the usual crowd-pleaser tunage from House Of Pain, Billy Idol, Bryan Adams, Lita Ford, Rage Against the Machine and more. Finally, the combo of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” and Sublime’s “What I Got” broke the ice and attracted some bodies onto the dance floor. But despite more favorites from Kid Rock, Jet, Beastie Boys, Jimmy Eats World, Ramones and Drowning Pool’s “Bodies,” this Pelly’s crowd remained mostly dead and unresponsive. Was Pelly’s Nation not into this band, or were they simply not beered-up enough yet?

After the intermission, we witnessed the answer – and fortunately for Juiced, it was the latter. Apparently the cold beer melted the ice, and Pelly’s was finally ready to party as Juiced launched their last set. People started hitting the dance floor as frontman Russ and Juiced commenced Godsmack’s “Awake,” and the dance floor became busier during Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny” and AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long.” By the time the group entered into Rick Springfield’s “Jessie’s Girl,” ladies were taking up positions alongside the band members onstage, and remained there for keyboard man Doug Buch’s crooning of Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline.” The festivities continued with the Beasties’ “Fight for Your Right (to Party),” the Buggles’ “Video Killed the Radio Star,” Don Henley/The Ataris’ “Boys of Summer” – sung by bassist Peggy – and Rage Against the Machine’s ever-popular “Killing in the Name” to end the set. The fired-up Pellegrine’s stagefront masses demanded an encore, and Juiced answered with Disturbed’s “Sickness” to close out the night.

The new Juiced roster seems to be hitting their stride. This was the most confident this roster has looked yet. Frontman Russ was again the charged ringleader and field general at stagefront, pulling all stops to get the crowd fired up and active, and feeding off the crowd energy further once they finally awakened during the final set. Instrumentally Juiced was firing on all cylinders and executing tightly, with guitarist Norm Marks, keyboard man Doug, drummer Darryl Hetrick and bass lady Peggy gelling into a cohesive unit. Peggy seems to be receiving a more prominent role in the Juiced scheme; and did a decent job on the vocal end during the Don Henley/Ataris number. Overall, Juiced seems to be coming together and progressing nicely; this was the sharpest display I’ve seen from this new incarnation yet.

Call it a late-innings win for Juiced, and further proof that this band will survive, rebuilding their fan base one show at a time. They maintained their energy and poise while the Altoona crowd struggled to wake up, and the reward was a successful party by night’s end, and in all likelihood, a number of new or returning fans who will likely be back for future Juiced visits. This show indicated to me – Juiced will survive.

the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse gives his blessing to the Juiced party.

Pellegrine’s ladydom crowds the stage as frontman Russ (left) and Juiced perform.

Russ of Juiced.

Singing some lead, Peggy of Juiced.

More onstage partying with Russ and Juiced.

Once again, Peggy of Juiced.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: