· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/12/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Aug 02, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/12/10

DOUBLE-D @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/5/10

Adam D and Eric D provided the music to consume mass quantities of buffalo wings to this Monday night at Pellegrine’s. The two came up with some interesting favorites along the way, as they alternated back and forth with singing duties. Some of the more interesting highlights included Adam D’s spins on Flys’ “Got You Where I Want You,” Kansas’ “Hold On,” his cathedral organ take on Neil Young’s “Like a Hurricane,” an obscure INXS number and more. Eric did many of his familiar numbers, including the Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil,” “House of the Rising Sun,” Todd Snider’s “Conservative Christian Right Wing Republican,” the Old Crow Medicine Show spin on “Down Home Girl” and more.

For all intents and purposes, a quiet night of music and wing-eating.

THE LUCKY 13’S/GREENHORN GREMLINS @ OSCEOLA FIREMAN’S CARNIVAL, OSCEOLA MILLS 7/7/10

With temperatures rising into the ‘90s, I first decided to cool off with a fishing excursion up the hill to Black Moshannon State Park. After hooking some slab sunfish and enjoying the day, I headed to Osceola Mills to take in a band doubleheader during the Osceola Mills Carnival; featuring the Greenhorn Gremlins and Lucky 13’s inside the bays at the Columbia Firehall.

The Greenhorn Gremlins were performing as I arrived. I actually didn’t know this group was on the bill, so it was cool to discover a new band this night. Singer Andrea Choperena, lead guitarist Andy Mast, rhythm guitarist Chris Walter, bassist Dan Skiles and drummer Mark Mokluk played modern and classic rock hits and favorites. Their set list included tunes from Old Crow Medicine Show, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Stone Temple Pilots, Better Than Ezra, No Doubt, Finger Eleven, Offspring and more. Greenhorn Gremlins were mostly solid in their performance; this appeared to be a relatively new band, so there were a few bumps along the way, but mostly they got the job done. Singer Andrea showed a good voice and some energy, busting some dance moves along the way as she sang. Overall, decent job.

The Greenhorn Gremlins perform at the Columbia Firehall.

Again, the Greenhorn Gremlins.

More Greenhorn Gremlins.

Andy Mast of the Greenhorn Gremlins.

Once again, the Greenhorn Gremlins.

Chris Walter and Dan Skiles of the Greenhorn Gremlins.

Again, Chris Walter.

Andrea Choperena of the Greenhorn Gremlins.

Mark Mokluk of the Greenhorn Gremlins.

The Lucky 13’s picked up the ball and ran with it the rest of the way, mixing up classic, roots rock and country, and rockabilly with a slight punk bite. Singer/guitarist Gary Persing, lead guitarist/singer John Phillippi, bassist Rusty Gillen, drummer/singer Ron Flango and guitarist Matt Reams did tunes from Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Georgia Satellites, Stray Cats, Eric Clapton, CCR, Toby Keith, Carl Perkins and more. They also did several of their own songs; drinking appears to be a recurring theme in their tunes, evidenced by such numbers as “Lush” and “Beer Drink'n Flag Wave'n Gear Head Type of Guy.” The Lucky 13’s were loose and fun, and the small audience seemed to appreciate their efforts.

This carnival provided a good start to the live portion of my evening, which would continue down the hill...

The Lucky 13’s.

Again, The Lucky 13’s.

More Lucky 13’s.

Gary Persing of The Lucky 13’s.

John Phillippi of The Lucky 13’s.

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/7/10

Summertime activities, such as the carnival I had attended earlier this night, can often diminish attendance for indoor venue activities. Wednesday Jam Night at Pellegrine’s wasn’t especially busy this week, but had at least enough musicians in the house to make some good jams.

As I arrived, a group of musicians was already into the jam portion of the evening. Adam D on keys, Eric D on acoustic guitar, Don Osborn on electric guitar, Gary “Bloody Fingers” Leighty on electric guitar and Terry Wilt behind the kit were performing Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself,” and continued with the Rolling Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil,” Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” and another Rolling Stones number, “Dead Flowers.” Gary and Eric then stepped away, and “Mr. Big Jim” brought his guitar up to do Rick Springfield’s ever-popular “Jessie’s Girl.” These musicians continued to platoon on and off the stage for favorites by the Doors, Allman Brothers, Bryan Adams, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CCR, Harry Chapin, the Who, Eric Clapton and more.

One of the cool things about an open mic/jam night is that the unfamiliar musician or audience member can step out of the shadows to shine in front of the crowd on any given night. An audience member named Galen stepped up to the stage, and unveiled a strong singing voice and good guitar skills on renditions of Tom Petty’s “Learning to Fly,” Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl,” Neil Young’s “The Needle and the Damage Done” and Tom Petty’s “Breakdown.” Galen was received well by the audience and the other musicians in the house; hopefully he’ll be back to join in future jam nights.

I joined the fray during this part of the night to do my percussion thing, and Adam beckoned me to break out the kazoo for the night-ending edition of Emerson Lake & Palmer’s”Lucky Man.”

For those who attended and took part, it was another fun time.

Jamming at Pellegrine’s: Adam D, Don Osborn, Terry Wilt and Eric D.

GREEN EGGS/MICHAEL O’BRIAN BAND @ LAKEMONT PARK WING-OFF, ALTOONA 7/8/10

A succession of annual activities and events mark the rise and fall of the summer season in this part of the world. In the Altoona area, it can be said that summer achieves its full glory with the arrival of the annual Lakemont Park WingOffs, those ever-popular parties where people, chicken wings, live music and brews all converge for several hours of fun and socializing every Thursday night through July and August.

Last year, with Gary Bailey and the late Matt Vipond reorganizing the event, the WingOffs breathed new life, as some of the state’s top bands - Hybrid Ice, Green Eggs, Emily’s Toybox, Giants Of Science and more - were brought in, and a variety of wing vendors introduced new exotic wing flavors to Lakemont Park. It was a smash success, with large turnouts every week. The event was extended two weeks to the end of August, continuing the fun times for a longer period. I was eager to see how the WingOff would progress this year.

More expansion is in the ‘wings’ for this year’s WingOff. First, the event is being extended an extra hour later, until 10 PM. Secondly, two bands instead of one would entertain the wing-eating hordes each week, utilizing two stage areas; the regular WingOff stage, and a nearby pavilion area with bar tables.

Entertaining under the pavilion and kicking off the first WingOff was the Michael O’Brian Band. As is usually the case, Mike Zerbee and Brian Anderson generated fun and laughter with their bright blend of Irish-flavored folk and rock sounds, hilarious wit and their undying love of the Guinness...which, in lieu of there not being any at the WingOff, became the love of the Yeungling Black & Tan, the closest thing to Guinness that was on tap. Highlights included the pair scolding audience members who screwed up the clapping sequence during “Whiskey in the Jar,” Brian’s initial reaction to the audience’s impromptu “Woot! Woot!” embellishments during the choruses of the “Unicorn Song,” and their funny Irish- and beer-geared rock medley, where they applied beer-adapted lyrics to portions of favorites by Billy Idol, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and AC/DC. The pair closed their performance with their spin on U2’s “With or Without You.”

The Michael O’Brian Band entertains the WingOff audience under the pavilion.

Brian Anderson of The Michael O’Brian Band.

Seasoned WingOff vet that I am, I knew that the first WingOff of the new season would be jam-packed. So I had my strategy ready; I had arrived early, and procured my strategic first dozen wings before the wing lines grew long. My first wings of the new WingOff season came from WingStreet, the Pizza Hut line of wings. Unfortunately, the coordination in cooking the wings themselves was a little off for this first week; frozen wings had been delivered to the vendors only a short time before WingOff time, and as such, the wings I obtained from WingStreet weren’t completely cooked, with red bones at the center. (Later, after the long lines subsided, I did an additional half-dozen at Wing’n’Ater’s, and these were fully-cooked. Their mango-habanero wings kick ass!)

Meanwhile, Green Eggs commenced their performance on the main stage following the Michael O’Brian Band’s performance. This was my first chance to see Green Eggs since longtime drummer Doug Black exited the group and Jake Gochenour replaced him behind the kit. It became clear immediately that Green Eggs was still very much up to speed, as they did what they do well, playing a wide variety of hits and favorites to the WingOff crowd, generating rapid fire, dance-friendly grooves along the way. Keyboard man Brian Nicarry, bassist Brad Nicarry and guitarist Matt Day swapped singing duties along the way, and provided constant movement to generate the party. Again, Green Eggs did everything including the kitchen sink, performing hits and favorites spanning classic rock from Queen and Tom Petty to Jackson 5 chestnuts, various hip-hop hits, tunes from Lady GaGa, Fallout Boy, Zac Brown Band, Kid Rock, Sublime, even a version of Madonna’s “Like a Prayer!”

By the second set, Green Eggs had a large crowd in front of them, dancing and grooving along. I lucked into an additional show in front of me, as one lady with very short cut-off shorts was doing some serious butt-shaking; something that was not going unnoticed by other guys in the vicinity. But the clincher - her guy had a spray water bottle with him, and occasionally sprayed her butt with it! Who needs Club Coconuts when you can get this type of entertainment at the WingOff for free!!??

Bottom line, the WingOffs returned with a vengence this night, with fun bands, great turnout, good brews, and...well, the good wings should return next week, provided the suppliers remember to thaw them out first.

Green Eggs kicks off their party.

Matt Day of Green Eggs.

Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs.

The new guy behind the kit for Green Eggs, Jason Gochenour.

Again, Green Eggs.

Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Once again, Green Eggs.

Again, Matt Day.

More revelers party down with Green Eggs.

Again, Brian Nicarry. (Photo by Brandon Giuffre.)

Once again, Matt Day. (Photo by Brandon Giuffre.)

In your face, Brad Nicarry. (Photo by Brandon Giuffre.)

Green Eggs’ party continues.

One more time, Matt Day.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/8/10

I had to log some broadcast workplace duties following the WingOff, and decided to head to Pellegrine’s to catch up with birthday boy Guv’nor Jesse and the last few minutes of Thursday Hurricaning. Indeed, I did catch the last few minutes, as Felix, Bob, Jeff and Thursday keyboard man Dave Villani started into the night’s finale, the Allman Brothers’ “Whipping Post,” as I arrived.

A good crowd was in attendance, and at least judging by the last song, the Hurricanes and Dave were in good form. And Jesse, still celebrating his birthday, was in slopped-up form. All was normal in Altoona on a Thursday night.

EUPHORIA @ HERITAGE PLAZA, ALTOONA 7/9/10

Sometimes, my weekend itineraries don’t go as planned.

This was one of those weekends that I both celebrated...and cursed. All sorts of stuff was going on this weekend...the aforementioned Lakemont Park WingOff kickoff, the Central PA Festival of the Arts in State College, the People’s Choice Festival in Boalsburg, a downtown Altoona Friday jazz concert, the inaugural Underground/Rock for Life Music Festival at the Iselin Ballfield in Iselin (west of Indiana), and Lakemont Park’s Homegrown Rockfest. I was elated that all of this musical activity was happening, but also dismayed that it was all happening on the same weekend, because I knew I wouldn’t be able to see all of it, and would have to make some tough choices of what to see and miss.

My initial gameplan was to attend the Arts Festival Thursday afternoon, do the Underground/Rock for Life fest on Friday night and possibly Saturday, and the People’s Choice Festival on Sunday. Only my Sunday plan worked out; everything else was different.

A car repair on Thursday pushed back my schedule, and scuttled my plans to do the Arts Festival that day. Still, I had mainly planned to take in the Underground/Rock For Life festivities on Friday night, and thought I might either do the Arts Festival or stay in Iselin on Saturday. But a line of heavy thunderstorms rolled through western PA on Friday afternoon and evening, and after seeing nothing but green on the television radar map in the Iselin vicinity, I decided I didn’t want to drive 90 minutes to Iselin to stand out in the rain for the rest of the night. I thus decided if I was going to get wet, I may as well do it closer to home, and opted for the downtown Altoona jazz concert at Heritage Plaza with this week’s scheduled performers, Euphoria.

The rain had abated as I first arrived at Heritage Plaza, set up my folding chair, procured initial brew and half a rack of ribs. Euphoria was finishing their last preparations and sound check before the start of their performance.

It had been a while since I had seen Euphoria, and this band has undergone an almost complete transformation since they first surfaced a few summers ago. The only original member still in the current edition of the band is keyboard man Doug Whitfield. The current group looks more like a reunion of the former DD & the Swinghounds; with Dana Martino on lead vocals, Art Martino on bass and Jim Houser on guitar. Todd Mallory plays drums, and two sax players named Charlie and Anthony give the group a brass edge.

It indeed sounded a bit like DD & the Swinghounds as Euphoria launched their first set with a fast instrumental ska/funk number and Louis Prima’s “Jump Jive and Wail.” Euphoria mixed it up between swing sounds, jazz, blues, rock and R&B/funk. During the course of their first set, they did a B.B. King number, the Police’s “Message in a Bottle,” Van Morrison’s “showcasing both Art’s bass and Dana’s scat solos, “Route 66,” Labelle’s “Lady Marmalade,” a version of Sam & Dave’s “Soul Man” that showcased the sax section, and Katrina & the Waves’ “Walking on Sunshine” to close the set.

The rain returned during the intermission, but I was prepared. I still had John Stevens’ hooded tarp in my car (from last year’s Smoked Country Jam, I’ll get it back to you someday John!), and broke it out and put it to use to keep me, my notepad and cameras dry. Rain will not thwart the efforts of this music-a-holic!

Their second set featured a similar variety, as Euphoria broke out versions of the Andrews Sisters’ “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy,” a Toasters tune, Alannah Myles’ “Black Velvet,” Aretha Franklin’s “Chain of Fools,” Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin,’” Jimi Hendrix’s “Red House” (with a scorching guitar solo display from Jim) and more. Although the rain was steady, a mid-sized crowd stayed, enjoyed the music and socialized, mostly congregated beneath the vendor tents and gazebo. I sat out in the rain, dry under the hooded tarp.

Encouraged by the stalwart crowd, Euphoria returned for their final set. With a guest named Maria singing backing vocals, the group started with Wilson Pickett’s ever-popular “Mustang Sally,” and did stirring renditions of B.B. King’s “The Thrill Is Gone,” Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Crossfire,” Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive,” the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues” and more. When the remaining fans wanted one more song at set’s end, Euphoria responded with Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll.”

Euphoria sounded good overall; and as I said, provided a bit of a throwback to the former DD & the Swinghounds. Dana’s voice is still in good form; she still delivers the blend of range and power, all with a smile and friendly stage persona. Jim’s guitar work is still impressive, and the rest of the band was strong in their execution.

Although it wasn’t where I originally intended to be, Euphoria’s showing at Heritage Plaza was still an enjoyable time in spite of the rain. Kudos to everybody else who stuck around and supported live music in the wet weather!

Dana Martino of Euphoria.

Jim Houser of Euphoria.

Again, Dana Martino of Euphoria.

Art Martino of Euphoria.

Euphoria played to some empty chairs when rain scared many jazz concert fans into no-shows.

Doug Whitfield and Jim Houser of Euphoria.

Again, Jim Houser.

Some dancing children are euphoric about Euphoria.

Providing Euphoria’s sax appeal, Charlie and Anthony.

Charlie, Anthony and a young dancer.

Young and older dancers alike dance in the rain to Euphoria.

The rain didn’t ruin Euphoria’s parade.

Rain didn’t dampen this Professor’s spirits, either.

Once again, Jim Houser.

Dana and Art Martino of Euphoria.

Doug Whitfield and Todd Mallory of Euphoria.

BAD DAZE @ DAVEY’S, HASTINGS 7/9/10

“Compared to calimari, I am inadequate.” – Kent Tonkin, Bad Daze bassist

Following Euphoria’s performance, I headed to the broadcast employer to take care of a few duties, before embarking on the rest of my Friday live entertainment appointed rounds. Having not seen them since January and since former Grimm bassman Kent Tonkin stepped aboard, I decided to head up to hill to Davey’s in Hastings to catch a look at the latest mach edition of Bad Daze.

I arrived early into the group’s second set. Kent, singer Rob Carolus, guitarist Kenny Murdick and drummer Jim Bagrosky had a rocking dance party going as they did numbers from Puddle Of Mudd, Cavo, Disturbed, 3 Days Grave, Nickelback, Jimmy Eat World, Rage Against the Machine and more. After Theory Of A Deadman’s “Bad Girlfriend,” Kent and Rob embarked on an interesting discussion about squids and their reproductive endowments, which can actually be longer than the creatures themselves. Amazed yet disheartened by this natural phenomenon, Kent remarked, “Compared to calimari, I am inadequate.” This revelation almost overshadowed Kenny’s stellar use of effects during Staind’s “Mudshovel” several songs later.

Kent had largely recovered from his disappointment by the time the third set started; and he and Bad Daze rocked the night home with more hard-hitting modern rock/nu-metal tunes from Nickelback, Breaking Benjamin, Slipknot, Disturbed, Skillet, Static X, Puddle Of Mudd, Finger Eleven and more. The group stormed the night home with their version of Pantera’s “Cowboys from Hell.” When the Davey’s audience demanded more, Bad Daze answered with Buckcherry’s “Too Drunk.”

Kent’s inadequacy notwithstanding, Bad Daze showed that they rock and rage on as strongly as always. Rob was again out front and in the faces of the dance floor crowd, rallying the party and doing his part to amp up the energy level. Kenny’s guitar fireworks were again stunning and precise, and his use of effects to bring different sounds from his guitar was excellent as well. Jim brought the aggressive thunder, and Kent’s fingers worked squid-like over the bass strings to maintain a busy bottom end throughout.

Bottom line - good times abounded in Hastings courtesy of Bad Daze, who gave a better than adequate performance any squid worth its length would enjoy.

Bad Daze, rocking Davey’s on a Friday night.

Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Not feeling inadequate on the bass this night, Kent Tonkin of Bad Daze.

Jim Bagrosky of Bad Daze.

Again, Bad Daze Rob.

Again, Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Bad Daze Rob has a fever for more cowbell.

Again, Bad Daze.

Again, Jim Bagrosky.

More Bad Daze.

After the show, Kent and Bad Daze Rob.

CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS, STATE COLLEGE 7/10/10

I didn’t make it to the Underground/Rock For Life Music Festival in Iselin the night before, and after a Saturday mostly filled with getting a number of work-related duties completed, I figured many of the bands I wanted to see had already finished by the time I would have arrived there. Reluctantly, I thus decided to bypass trying to get to Iselin, and instead opted for the Central PA Festival of the Arts.

Per my usual habit with this festival, I parked near Penn State’s Beaver Stadium and rode the CATA shuttle bus downtown. After stepping off the bus at the corner of College Avenue and South Allen Street, I didn’t have to walk far to encounter my first entertainment. Stopped just behind the Allen Street stage was the Homecoming Rikshaw Brass Band. A New Orleans-styled street band, the Homecoming Rikshaw Brass Band featured several Happy Valley area musicians doing a blend of funk and dance tunes. These guys were unplugged, and didn’t need the amplification. These horns blasted out some sound, with Andrew Jackson and his drum kit providing the beats from aboard the bicycle-drawn rikshaw. I watched for several minutes as this group did Kool & the Gang’s “Ladies Night” and a few other selections. Cool stuff!

The Homecoming Rikshaw Brass Band.

As it says on the tuba, the Homecoming Rikshaw Brass Band.

Again, The Homecoming Rikshaw Brass Band.

Andrew Jackson of The Homecoming Rikshaw Brass Band.

Again, The Homecoming Rikshaw Brass Band.

More of The Homecoming Rikshaw Brass Band.

Again, Andrew Jackson and the rikshaw driver.

Once again, Andrew Jackson.

The Homecoming Rikshaw Brass Band moves on.

I then proceeded up Allen Street to the art/craft vendor displays and scattered food vendors to grab a bite to eat. En route, I passed the strum stick vendor. I’ve seen this display in past years, and after seeing Rich “Allheart” Edmundson play one recently during Pellegrine’s Jam Night, I took a look at them. The price tag scared me from purchasing one; for what the vendor was charging for these, I could upgrade either my acoustic guitar or recently-obtained ukulele!

The strumstick vendor.

A strumstick.

After procuring food - a humungous smoked turkey drumstick - I made my way to the Central Parklet stage to see a performer I’ve seen the past two years at this Festival, Christine Havrilla. A Philadelphia native now relocated to Portland, Oregon, Christine and her trio - percussionist Gretchen Schultz and bassist Wendy Fuhr - played a selection of original songs, including “Everyday,” “Fresh Sanity,” “Daffodil,” “Hole in the Ground,” the singalong “Take Another Look” and more. Christine shared thoughts and inspirations about each song, and spiced several of the songs up with riffs from classic rock songs on her guitar. Thanks to soundman Phil Reigh for the seat under the tent to view the performance!

Christine Havrilla.

The Christine Havrilla Trio.

Again, Christine Havrilla.

Again, the Christine Havrilla Trio.

A seated audience watches the Christine Havrilla Trio.

More of the Christine Havrilla Trio.

Once again, Christine Havrilla.

Gretchen Schultz of the Christine Havrilla Trio.

I next headed back toward Allen Street, and came upon an acoustic performance in front of the Municipal Building. The duo of Zachary Sobel and Eric Weiss were performing a set of original numbers, with Zachary singing lead. I stuck around to see two songs, before heading on to see more of the festival.

Eric Weiss and Zachary Sobel.

Zachary Sobel.

Playing harmony guitar, Eric Weiss.

I proceeded up onto the Penn State main campus, in anticipation of the next performer, Chris Bell & !00% Blues. Since there was still time before Chris’ performance began, I headed to the Berkey Creamery stand for an ice cream cone, and strolled around the alumni building grounds, which include a small pond area with ducks and other wildlife.

I made my way back to the Old Main stage area, and procured a seat positioned front and center of the stage. Nearby I heard acoustic guitar, and saw a guy sitting several feet away from me with his wife, strumming out some bluesy rhythms on a guitar. Since I recently got interested in playing my own acoustic guitar again, this guy’s performance gave me some inspiration, to become competent enough on my instrument so that I can someday sit around and play blues passages like this.

Chris Bell provided inspiration of a different kind. I had seen Chris perform at previous Arts Festivals, and was again impressed with his brand of electric blues. Chris and his band - which included local Happy Valley favorite John “JT Blues” Thompson on keys - mixed classic blues with original blues songs, including some from his new CD, The Devil, My Guitar and Me. Some of the new songs included “Sweet Josephine” and “Trouble”; Chris and his band also did favorites like “”Real Bluesman,” “Money Doesn’t Grow on Trees,” plus a version of the Allman Brothers’ “Soulshine” and more. Chris blazed on his guitar early and frequently, evoking a Hendrix-like vibe but also a traditional blues passion and feel. As before, I was amazed at his fiery displays and raw emotion on both guitar and vocals.

Chris Bell.

Again, Chris Bell.

Chris Bell & 100% Blues.

Again, Chris Bell & 100% Blues.

John “JT Blues” Thompson of Chris Bell & 100% Blues.

More Chris Bell.

Chuck England of Chris Bell & 100% Blues.

Yet more Chris Bell.

Chris Bell goes to town on his guitar.

Chris Bell kicks out the jams.

More Chris Bell & 100% Blues.

More fretboard fireworks from Chris Bell.

I left about midway through Chris Bell’s set, though, because I wanted to see another Festival performer. York’s Mark DeRose Band was entertaining at the Central Parklet stage, so I headed there to catch at least part of his set. I missed most of this performance, but got to witness Mark and his band do one original song before finishing with Tom Petty’s “American Girl.” Mark played both keys and guitar, and sang lead. His original song style is melody-geared modern pop rock, and he did it well.

The Mark DeRose Band.

Mark DeRose.

On keys, Mark DeRose.

Jay Baab of The Mark DeRose Band.

Again, The Mark DeRose Band.

Once again, The Mark DeRose Band.

One more time, The Mark DeRose Band.

Next, I headed back down Allen Street, en route back to the Old Main stage to catch the end of Chris Bell’s set. On the way, though, I stopped at the Allen Street stage to catch a few songs from Eric & the Adams. Eric is Eric Himan, a former frequent flyer on State College stages and previous performer at the Arts Festival as a solo artist. He teamed with a brother and sister from Oklahoma named Adams; Jimmy on bass and Angel on drums. I caught four songs from Eric & the Adams, as they did The Outfield’s “Your Love,” an original song, Lady GaGa’s “Just Dance” and another original tune, “Sugar You Ain’t So Sweet.” Eric demonstrated a high-flying, often soulful voice, and he and the Adams siblings were tight and energetic. Good stuff!

Eric and the Adams.

Again, Eric and the Adams.

Eric Hyman of Eric and the Adams.

Again, Eric Hyman.

A large crowd looks on as Eric and the Adams performs.

One more time, Eric Hyman.

I got back to the Old Main stage just as Chris Bell & 100% Blues was finishing up their set. I then backtracked to the Allen Street stage to procure a good seat to view the final band of the day at this stage, The Rustlanders. This band is putting the final touches on their new CD, and has recently been on the road playing shows in the south and west. Opening with “Beginning to Show Through” from their self-titled first CD, The Rustlanders provided a stunning close with their powerful set, introducing many new songs from their forthcoming second CD. Singer/guitarist Jason McIntyre, singer/drummer Chris Rattie, lead guitarist Jason “Junior” Tutwiler, keyboardist John Rattie and bassist Corry Drake demonstrated a lot of versatility and passion in their performance; switching off lead vocal duties, switching up between electric and acoustic instruments and more. Their new material sounded strong and covered a wide expanse of Americana-rock flavors. My favorite highlight of the set was Junior Tutwiler’s scorching guitar solo to close the song “My Rock and Roll!” The Rustlanders drew unanimous applause from the large crowd and even inspired some street dancing during their set; this performance further whet my appetite for the new CD once it is unveiled later this year.

The Rustlanders.

Jason McIntyre of The Rustlanders.

Jason “Junior” Tutwiler of The Rustlanders.

Again, Jason McIntyre.

Once again, Jason McIntyre.

A large Arts Festival crowd looks on as The Rustlanders perform.

Again, The Rustlanders and the crowd.

Again, Jason McIntyre of The Rustlanders, playing banjo.

More of The Rustlanders and the crowd.

Jason McIntyre and Jason “Junior” Tutwiler of The Rustlanders.

John Rattie of The Rustlanders.

Again, John Rattie.

This closed the book on my 2010 Central PA Festival of the Arts experience. What I saw of this year’s Festival was good, and well worth the journey to Happy Valley to experience.

WITHOUT ZERB/THIS CALLING @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 7/10/10

Upon returning to Altoona from the Arts Festival, I stopped at 30 Something to check out the double-bill of Without Zerb and This Calling.

I had hoped to catch up with This Calling, but they had opened the show and were done well before I arrived. Without Zerb was well into their first of two sets, and they had a roster change since the last time I saw them. Scott Jurcik had departed the group, and Jim Mincin replaces him on rhythm guitar. The group was into Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Otherside” as I arrived, and continued to keep folks dancing with Pearl Jam’s “Last Kiss,” a heavy-rocking edition of Men At Work’s “Down Under,” Greg Kihn’s “Break Up Song” and Pearl Jam’s “Yellow Ledbetter” to close the set.

A good-sized crowd was in place, including one bachelorette party that was pretty active on the dance floor.

Without Zerb’s nightcap set kicked off with Jimmy Eat World’s “The Middle,” and proceeded with favorites from Seven Mary Three, Tom Petty, Rancid, Bryan Adams, Blink 182, Wild Cherry, Nirvana and more. This Calling drummer Justin Fair stepped behind the drum kit for Without Zerb’s rendition of Nena’s “99 Redballoons.”

Without Zerb was in good form. Jim Mincin seemed to fit in well in this new setting, and frontman Brian “Zerb” Zerbee again showed a strong voice and up front personality that kept the crowd engaged in the show.

Although disappointed I missed This Calling, Without Zerb nonetheless provided a good ending to the night.

Without Zerb.

The new guy in Without Zerb, Jim Mincin.

Again, Without Zerb.

Main man Zerb of Without Zerb.

Without Zerb, keeping 30 Something’s dance floor busy.

Once again, Without Zerb.

Again, Zerb.

One more time, Without Zerb.

THE HOUNDS OF SOUL @ PEOPLE’S CHOICE FESTIVAL, BOALSBURG 7/11/10

The People’s Choice Festival has been going on for 18 years, and I had yet to attend one, until this year. During the final afternoon of this year’s festival at the Boalsburg Military Museum, I decided to take in this event and catch my first look at the Hounds Of Soul.

The Hounds Of Soul are nine members strong, including a four-piece horn section. Lead singer Sherri Orlofsky, guitarist Ryan Alford, keyboardist/singer John Wise, bassist Mike Siggins and drummer John Raiser; along with the brass section of saxophonists Tom Gallagher and Matt Donovan, trombonist Chris Gamble and trumpeter Andy Harbison; performed a wide variety of soul as their name suggests, but also delivered some horn rock classics as well during their hour-long set.

The Hounds opened with Sam & Dave’s “Hold On, I’m Coming,” and continued with Earth Wind & Fire’s “September” and Aretha Franklin’s “Chain of Fools,” before breaking out Chicago’s “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is,” Arthur Conley’s “Sweet Soul Music” and Santana’s “Everybody’s Everything.” They then slowed the tempo down for Hall & Oates’ “She’s Gone,” followed by a number I didn’t recognize (“Cold Blood?”) and another horn rock classic, Blood Sweat & Tears’ “Go Down Gambling.” They then dug into the James Brown catalog for “I Feel Good,” followed by Stevie Wonder’s “Sir Duke” and the Doobie Brothers’ “Long Train Runnin,’” before ending their set with Wilson Pickett’s “Mustang Sally.”

The Hounds’ musicianship was sharp, and their presentation upbeat and personable. The horn section was feisty and brought the excitement, and the rest of the group was tight in their execution. The Hounds were pleasant with the crowd, with Sherri serving as the group spokeswoman and introducing most of the songs.

The Hounds Of Soul were a hit with this Festival crowd, enough so that people demanded an encore at the end of their set. I enjoyed them; if you’re looking for brassy rock and soul, give these Hounds a look - you will not be disappointed!

The Hounds Of Soul.

John Wise of The Hounds Of Soul.

The Hounds Of Soul’s horn section.

Again, The Hounds Of Soul.

Tom Gallagher of The Hounds Of Soul.

Again, the Hounds’ horn section.

John Wise, Ryan Alford and Sherri Orlofsky of the Hounds Of Soul.

More Hounds Of Soul.

Again, Tom Gallagher.

One of the armaments in the Military Museum parking area, a battleship gun from Pearl Harbor.

The Pennsylvania Military Museum.

Also in the museum parking area, a personnel carrier.

VENT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/11/10

After carrying out my “Homegrown Rocker” duties this night, I closed out the weekend at Pellegrine’s with Vent providing the tunes.

Pellegrine’s was again underpopulated for a Sunday night, with only a handful of people in the band room early on to see Vent’s performance. As I arrived late in their first set, the group entertained that handful with Eve 6’s “Inside Out” and Greenday’s “American Idiot.”

Singer Tom Getz, guitarist Dave Plisco, bassist Rob Staph and drummer Jason Houser soon returned for the second chapter, mixing modern and mostly ‘90s favorites from Pearl Jam, Jimmy Eat World, a request for Candlebox’s “Far Behind,” Red Hot Chili Peppers, Matchbox 20, Toadies, Bloodhound Gang, Billy Squier, My Chemical Romance, Seven Mary Three and more. The group saw their first dancers near the end of the set, as they did Duran Duran’s “Hungry Like the Wolf,” Green Day’s “Basketcase” and Blink 182’s “Dammit” to close the set.

A few more folks filtered into Pellegrine’s as the night progressed, and a few more of them populated the dance floor for the group’s third set. Vent kicked off this set with Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Suck My Kiss,” and continued with hits from Nena, Fountains of Wayne, Ataris, CCR, Soft Cell, Finger Eleven, Violent Femmes and more. Highlights during this set included the group’s interesting ‘hate’ pairing of Puddle Of Mudd’s “She Hates Me” with Ugly Kid Joe’s “(I Hate) Everything About You,” and Vent’s torrid read of Johnny Cash via Social Distortion’s “Ring of Fire” to end the night.

It was what it was, and Vent fought the good fight to please the fans that did show up. There should have been a lot more people.

Closing out the weekend at Pellegrine’s, Vent.

Again, Vent.

Rob Staph of Vent.

Tom Getz of Vent.

Once again, Vent.

Again, Rob Staph of Vent.

This lady wanted a picture taken with T’wan the door man.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: