· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/19/10 PT. 1
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Aug 05, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/19/10 PT. 1

(JP's note: There were a lot of photos with this recap, which kept it all from fitting in one thread. Thus the two-parter...)

HARMONIOUS FUNK @ CURWENSVILLE DAYS, IRWIN PARK, CURWENSVILLE 7/12/10

I was up for a road trip this evening, and learning that Clearfield County R&B’ers Harmonious Funk were playing at the annual Curwensville Days festivities gave me sufficient reason for that roadtrip. I had met the group’s singer and guitarist, Mark Sopic, recently during Pellegrine’s Wednesday Open Mic/Jam Night, and was curious to see what his group was all about.

After a late start, I thought I would miss part of Harmonious Funk’s performance, but upon arriving at Irwin Park on the outskirts of Curwensville, I discovered that the band was late in getting started due to long-running festivities earlier in the evening. I browsed the food stands and other goings-on at this festival, before procuring a place for my folding chair in front of the stage to see what Harmonious Funk was all about.

About an hour after the original scheduled start time, Harmonious Funk was ready to go. They made the wait worth it, as they brought harmony and funk during their nearly 90-minute performance. This group wove vintage R&B music and history into a rousing presentation. Starting with an introduction and leading into the Motown scene, lead singer Bobbie Sopic provided narrative about the various scenes that greatly contributed to R&B’s history. After educating the audience about the Motown scene, she and the band led into Marvin Gaye’s “I Heard It Through the Grapevine,” and continued with other Motown classics by Steve Wonder, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles and Martha Reeves & the Vandellas. Bobbie and Harmonious Funk then continued into the Stax Records story while showcasing their keyboard section of Paul Lynch and Art Kifer on Booker T & the MG’s classic “Green Onions.” They continued with Johnnie Taylor’s “Who’s Making Love (to Your Old Lady),” Rufus Thomas’ “Walkin’ the Dog,” Eddie Floyd’s “Knock on Wood” and Sam & Dave’s “Soul Man.” The focus then switched to Chess Records, which led into Bobbie displaying her impressive and soulful voice on several Etta James numbers. The Atlantic Records and Muscle Shoals scenes were then spotlighted, as the group did Percy Sledge’s “When a Man Loves a Woman,” the Young Rascals’ “Good Lovin’” and “Groovin,’” Wilson Pickett’s ever-popular “Mustang Sally” (which Bobbie introduced as being covered by just about every bar band around) and “Funky Broadway.” Harmonious Funk’s soulful journey finished in Texas, and spotlighted Delbert McClinton’s “My Baby’s Lovin’” and the Fabulous Thunderbirds’ “Tuff Enuff.”

This was a fun, educational and impressive presentation and performance. Harmonious Funk was competent on all of their song material, and their presentation shifted singing duties between Bobbie, Paul, and Mark. Bobbie and Paul shared most lead singing duties; both demonstrating powerful, high-ranging and soulful voices. Mark displayed his clear, high-ranging voice on the two Young Rascals numbers and “Mustang Sally,” and Art fronted the group on the show-ending rendition of the Fabulous Thunderbirds’ “Tuff Enuff.” Instrumentally everything was strong, as all the aforementioned players, backed by the rhythm section of bassist Mike Duckett and drummer Norm Johnson, were on the mark and nicely mixed up the tempo and variety during their set. I also liked that the group dug deeper than just the hits from the radio, and revealed some favorites from these classic soul back catalogs as well.

Soulful and full-sounding, Harmonious Funk’s lively and educational show was a good time, and well worth the trip up the hill to Curwensville to experience.

Harmonious Funk, entertaining at Curwensville Days.

Art Kifer of Harmonious Funk.

Mark Sopic of Harmonious Funk.

Again, Harmonious Funk.

Mike Duckett of Harmonious Funk.

Mark and Bobbie Sopic of Harmonious Funk.

Once again, Harmonious Funk.

Mark, Bobbie and Mike of Harmonious Funk.

More Harmonious Funk.

Paul Lynch of Harmonious Funk.

Again, Paul Lynch.

Yet more Harmonious Funk.

Once again, Paul Lynch.

Again, Mark Sopic.

Bobbie Sopic of Harmonious Funk.

Again, Mark and Bobbie Sopic.

Again, Bobbie Sopic.

One more time, Mark Sopic.

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/12/10

Following Harmonious Funk’s performance, I motored back down the hill to the ‘Toona, to partake in the weekly wing feast and music with That’s What She Said.

Adam D on keys and Jess P on acoustic guitar swapped singing duties throughout the evening as they performed their respective assortment of favorites. Both had their share of highlights; Adam pulled out some interesting and lesser-heard numbers such as Boomtown Rats’ “I Don’t Like Mondays,” Don Henley’s “All She Wants to Do Is Dance,” his lounge take on Weezer’s “Buddy Holly,” David Bowie’s “Heroes,” John Lennon’s “Imagine” and more. Jess countered with her more popular fare, such as the meow-along double-entendre “Pussycat Song,” the Dixie Chicks’ “Goodbye to Earl,” the Beatles’ “Norwegian Wood,” Dusty Springfield’s “Son of a Preacher Man” and Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah.”

A guest named ‘Sabs’ got up and sang lead on a version of Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Under the Bridge,” doing a decent job. No Gamber Gone Wild this week, and no elderly patrons displaying full moons...just good wings and music, like it should be...

Adam D with guest singer Sabs.

SQUARE ONE @ HERITAGE PLAZA, ALTOONA 7/14/10

Before my weekly appointed round with Pellegrine’s Wednesday Open Mic/Jam Night, I first headed to downtown Altoona’s Heritage Plaza to catch up with the latest edition of Square One, presented in concert as part of Blair County Community Action Agency’s free Summer In The City concerts.

My former broadcast coworker Craig Schaffer now handles bass and some singing duties for Square One,, joining longtime members Don Osborn on lead vocals and guitar, and drummer Jeff Crownover.

Classic rock of the ‘60s and ‘70s is still Square One’s forte; during their second set, the group entertained a sizable all-ages audience with hits from Creedence Clearwater Revival, Eric Clapton, Grand Funk Railroad, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Wilson Pickett, Bad Company, a request for Chuck Berry’s “Johnny B. Goode” and more. Guest Sean Osborn joined his father and the group onstage for renditions of the Doobie Brothers’ “Long Train Running” and Crosby Stills Nash & Young’s “Ohio.”

This edition of Square One sounded solid. New man Craig delivered strong bass lines, and his voice complemented Don’s. Craig even sang lead on a song or two during this set. Square One was basic and strong, and the audience cheered on their efforts.

Square One with special guest Sean Osborn.

A youngster dances as Square One performs.

Again, Square One and the dancing youngster.

Craig Schaffer of Square One.

Don Osborn of Square One.

Son and father: Sean and Don Osborn of Square One.

Again, Square One with Sean Osborn.

Again, Craig Schaffer of Square One.

Again, Don Osborn of Square One.

Once again, Craig Schaffer.

Jeff Crownover of Square One.

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/14/10

My next destination was, of course, Pellegrine’s Wednesday Open Mic/Jam Night.

As I arrived, Bodacious B was in the house and in the stage area. Matt Burns on guitar and vocals, and Steve Brulia on drums, kicked off their mini-set with the “Free Credit Report.com” commercial jingle, before proceeding rapid fire through favorites from Bon Jovi, Violent Femmes, Sublime, Ritchie Valens and Johnny Cash. Bodacious was quick, to the point, and fun,

Making her Pelly’s Jam Night debut next was Dubois singer, songwriter and guitarist Jen Bertiaux. Jen gave an animated performance as she sang some blues-geared acoustic original songs and a few classics. One of her original songs was “Champagne,” which ended her mini-set. She also did a version of the Talking Heads’ “Psycho Killer” and Blind Willie McTell’s “Statesboro Blues.” Jen’s presentation was bright and enthusiastic, which wasn’t lost on the Pelly’s audience, who cheered approval.

Making her Pellegrine’s Jam Night debut, Jen Bertiaux.

The Up Downs stepped up next, and did a set of Americana-geared sounds. Kicking off with the Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil,” the Up Downs also did versions of the folk song “Shady Grove,” Steve Earle’s “The Devil’s Right Hand,” “Wagon Wheel” and more.

The Up Downs.

Again, the Up Downs.

We then saw Eric D take the stage to do a set of his own folk-rock sounds, kicking off with Neil Young’s “Heart of Gold.” Eric broke out renditions of Bob Dylan’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues,” The DEvil Makes Three’s “The Bullet,” his own version of “Friend of the Devil,” Steve Earle’s “Ellis Unit One,” Todd Snider’s “Conservative Christian, Right Wing Republican,” Crosby Stills Nash & Young’s “Ohio,” and Steve Earle’s “Copperhead Road,” where he was first joined by Steve Brulia, and then Matt Burns and Jeff Renner.

Which led to a reunion performance of The Verge’s mach one edition of Jeff, Matt and Steve. The Verge rocked their mini-set with versions of Finger Eleven’s “Paralyzer,” Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me,” Kid Rock’s “All Summer Long,” AC/DC’s “TNT” and Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name.” The Verge sounded solid on all of it, with Jeff firing off stinging guitar work and going full Bon Scott on the AC/DC number. Good stuff.

The mach one edition of The Verge reunites for a few songs.

Jam Night frequent flyer Rich Dasch then stepped up and did a short set; performing Neil Young’s “The Needle and the Damage Done,” John Cafferty’s “On the Dark Side,” Bob Seger’s “Night Moves,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s”Simple Man” and another Neil Young number, “Old Man.” Rich especially did a good job on the Neil Young numbers; he captured Neil’s sound and style well.

At this point, the jam session kicked into full gear. Rich, Gary Leighty and Big Jim on guitars, Adam D on keys and voice, and Steve Brulia behind the kit started into the Beatles’ “While My Guitar Gently Weeps,” and continued with Neil Young’s “Down by the River,” the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues,” Dio’s “The Last in Line” and Charlie Daniels’ “Leave This Long-Haired Country Boy Alone.” Yours truly brought the bongos up to the stage to contribute some percussion along the way. “Bad Daze Rob" Carolus arrived in the house late, and was drafted to sing on a few numbers; Dobie Gray’s “Drift Away,” the Beatles’ “I Saw Her Standing There” and Counting Crows’ “Mr. Jones” - with Natalie Pellegrine herself stepping up to play shaker. Rob and Big Jim closed out the night with the Eagles’ “Desperado.”

In all, it was a good jam night with a lot of individual performers, and a fun jam session at the end. The Pellegrine’s crowd seemed to like all of it.

Jamming on a Wednesday: Rob Berkhimer (The Up Downs), Eric D and Steve Brulia.

Jeff Renner and Matt Burns join the festivities.

Adam D, Rich Dasch, Steve Brulia and Big Jim.

Reunited during Jam Night: Bad Daze Rob and Big Jim.

FLIGHT 19/FULL KILT @ LAKEMONT PARK WING-OFF, ALTOONA 7/15/10

The second installment of this year’s Lakemont Park WingOff’s again featured two bands, Full Kilt and Flight 19. But when all was said and done, it was a youngster who stole the show.

Full Kilt was first, performing on the pavilion stage. Really, it was more like ¾ Kilt, as the group’s fiddler, Mandy Passmore, was unavailable this night. But singer/guitarist Mike Zerbee, bassist Chris Myers and drummer Pat Boland still managed to put on a respectable show, doing rocked-up Irish favorites and originals. The group performed selections from Flogging Molly, Seven Nations, Van Morrison, traditional Irish favorites and more. One of the more interesting songs the group did was “Back Home in Derry,” an Irish folk song adapted from Gordon Lightfoot’s classic “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.”

Three-quarters of Full Kilt...¾ Kilt!

Again, Full Kilt.

Mike Zerbee of Full Kilt.

Chris Myers of Full Kilt.

One more time, three-quarters of Full Kilt.

Meanwhile, I procured my first dozen wings from a new vendor at this week’s WingOff, the Buccinese Society. I tried their butter garlic and their regular hot wings; both were good, especially the hot!

Shortly after Full Kilt finished their set, Flight 19 kicked off their performance on the main stage. Singer Brian Thomas, guitarist John McKelvey, bassist Mark Triforo, keyboardist Phil Steele and drummer Darin Hand were joined by a special sixth band member from the get-go; Darin’s young sun, Balin, armed with his own toy guitar. Balin immediately became a focal point throughout Flight 19’s show; he jammed along with the big guys on his guitar, and received steady and raucous cheers from the growing crowd of spectators gathering around the stage.

Flight 19 struck up the party with two upbeat sets that mixed current and classic rock favorites with medleys, dance-friendly numbers and more. Some of the musical highlights included two different ‘80s-geared medleys; the first stringing together songs from Modern English, Men Without Hats, INXS, Soft Cell and Sly Fox; and the second fusing tunes from Flock Of Seagulls, INXS, Duran Duran, the EMF and Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Late in the show, the “Party Plane” broke out a ‘70s funk/disco medley that included KC & the Sunshine Man’s “I’m Your Boogie Man” and “Get Down Tonight,” sandwiching Rick James’ “Give It to Me Baby” and Chic’s “Le Freak.” Flight 19 also did rocking favorites from Journey, Finger Eleven, Green Day, Toto, Styx, Honeymoon Suite, 3 Days Grace, Nickelback, Kiss, ZZ Top, Bon Jovi, Cheap Trick and more, With young Balin still jamming away, the homestretch of the show became a full-scale blowout party, with a large crowd feverishly grooving, dancing and cheering as Flight 19 and their young guest fired off PG-13 versions of Theory Of A Deadman’s “Bad Girlfriend” and Kid Rock’s “So Hott,” Ozzy Osbourne’s “I Don’t Wanna Stop,” and their own popular original rock anthems “Hands” and “Crank It Up” to finish the night.

Flight 19 achieved maximum party altitude with this performance, and turned this WingOff into a full-scale party. And their young guest, Balin, may have served notice that he might one of tomorrow’s musicians we witness entertaining at the WingOff. We may have seen a young rock star in the making!

Young Balin Hand and Mark Triforo of Flight 19.

Flight 19 and their young guest.

John McKelvey of Flight 19 with young guest Balin.

John, Balin and Mark.

Again, Flight 19.

Phil Steele of Flight 19.

Again, Mark Triforo of Flight 19.

Balin jams with John and Mark.

Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Future local musician with protective ear wear: Balin Hand with Flight 19.

Again, John and Balin.

Balin’s dad, Darin Hand of Flight 19.

Brian Thomas recruits some help with backing vocals.

Brian recruits another volunteer.

...and another.

...and yet another!

Again, Phil Steele of Flight 19.

Once again, Flight 19 and young guest rock the WingOff.

As night falls, John, Balin, Darin and Mark.

John, Balin and Brian.

More of Flight 19.

Brian gets Balin to help with backing vocals...Hell! Yeah!

Once again, Darin Hand.

Again, John McKelvey.

Once again, Phil Steele.

From a different angle, Darin Hand.

Once again, Mark and Balin.

Father and son: Darin and Balin Hand.

Flight 19 rocks the WingOff crowd.

Flight 19’s party continues.

One more time, Flight 19 and the WingOff crowd.

GERRY STANEK @ CITY HOTEL, NORTHERN CAMBRIA 7/16/10

I remember the first time I ever saw northern Cambria County singer, songwriter and musician Gerry Stanek in action. It was in late 1987 at the Rodeo Lounge in Duncansville on a Thursday night, as Gerry performed with his band at the time, The Imposters. I’ve kept track of Gerry’s career over the years, including his national recording stints with The Lost and Outcry, his time with Pittsburgh legend Norman Nardini, and the attention he generated a couple of years ago with his playful country ode “I’m In Love with a Girl Named Sarah Palin”; as well as his radio career, which included stints on WVAM during their country years, and the early hit music years of Q94. Surprisingly, though, with the exception of a few stand-in appearances during Norman Nardini’s visits to the area in recent years, I’ve not seen Gerry perform live since that initial Imposters show. And I had never seen his solo act...until this night.

I did the roadtrip up the hill to Northern Cambria this night to catch up with Gerry, as he performed at the City Hotel. I wanted to find out what he was up to musically, plus learn about his current kids rock project, Roy Handy and the Moonshot.

The City Hotel had a good-sized crowd in the house as I arrived, procured initial brew and staked out a table seat close to the stage. Gerry was into his second set as I arrived, and did an eclectic assortment of numbers that spanned original songs to classics and a few deeper gems not often performed on area stages. The remainder of this set included Crosby Stills Nash & Young’s “Ohio,” the Rolling Stones’ “Dead Flowers,” The Band’s “Up on Cripple Creek,” Grand Funk Railroad’s “Bad Time,” Michael Penn’s “Someone to Dance With” and Joe Jackson’s “Is She Really Going Out With Him.”

Gerry chatted with me over the break, and updated me on what he has been up to lately. He told me about the Roy Handy project, which is geared toward kids. He recently issued the debut CD of that endeavor, (I’m Gonna Be) Your Best Friend, as well as his own solo EP, Apple of My Eye, and a full length CD, Demos from a Long Winter.

Gerry’s nightcap set kicked off with America’s “Sister Goldenhair,” and continued with a mixture of original songs and more eclectic cover material. This set spanned such numbers as Tom Petty’s “Into the Great Wide Open” and “American Girl,” Crosby Stills Nash & Young’s “Almost Cut My Hair,” Neil Young’s “The Nedle and the Damage Done,” Patsy Cline/Willie Nelson’s “Crazy,” Jim Croce’s “Workin’ at the Car Wash Blues,”Badfinger’s “Day After Day” and Elvis Costello’s “Allison” and “Peace Love and Understanding.” I didn’t catch much of Gerry’s original song titles, except for one from his EP, “Redhaired Girl.”

Gerry’s performance was relaxed and cordial. Besides his off-the-beaten-path song list, I also liked that he brought each song to life in his own voice and style, making each cover song selection his own. This was a performance by somebody who has logged some miles in the music business, and has evolved his musical personality and voice.

I was glad to catch up with Gerry Stanek this night, and hope to see this artist more frequently in the months to come.

Gerry Stanek.

Once again, Gerry Stanek.

SOUND DRIVEN @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 7/16/10

Since Gerry Stanek’s performance was done just after midnight, I still had some time to beat a path back down the hill to Altoona to see another performance in progress. I recalled that Sound Driven was holding one of their summertime reunion get-together jams at 30 Something, so I headed there to see the remainder of this show.

The show was still going when I arrived, with a small crowd looking on as Sound Driven took them through their freewheeling journey. Singer/guitarist Brian Pavlic, singer/keyboardist Denny Karl, bassist Dan Condrin and drummer Luke Leiden triggered dance floor grooving and dancing with their nearly nonstop grooves that journeyed between songs like a winding road between towns. Brian donned a pair of 3D glasses as the group entered an extended jam edition of Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition.” The group explored and meandered their way into another song I didn’t recognize, and eventually morphed the song into Phish’s “First Tube,” before finishing the night with a reggae-flavored number with Brian scat-singing along.

I only got to see a small portion of Sound Driven’s performance, but it was fun. This group lets the groove steer them, and the end destinations of their groove excursions are frequently as much as mystery for the band as it is for the fans. These guys improvised and explored on their instruments along the way, resulting in a fun, freewheeling journey.

Denny Karl of Sound Driven.

Sound Driven and a grooving fan.

Again, Sound Driven.

Dan Condrin and Brian Pavlic of Sound Driven.

One more time, Sound Driven and fans.

WOODSHED BLUES AND JAZZ FESTIVAL @ LINCOLN CAVERNS AMPHITHEATER, HUNTINGDON 7/17/10

This one was marked on my calendar for several months...the inaugural Woodshed Blues and Jazz Festival, happening at Lincoln Caverns Amphitheater near Huntingdon. With such blues luminaries as The Nighthawks and English upstart Joanne Shaw Taylor on the bill, along with local favorites Felix & the Hurricanes, The Blue Hornet Band, Triple A Blues Band and more; on paper this looked to be a local blues fan’s dream festival!

Although I wanted to see the first performer of the afternoon, singer, songwriter and guitarist Hannah Bingman, other duties prevented my arrival until after she had already played. Having seen her previously, I trust her brand of acoustic folk and blues helped get the afternoon off to a good start.

I arrived during the next performance by Nonsemble. Huntingdon’s Matt Dingo and Wooster, Ohio’s Andy Carey played electric guitar jazz. This was interesting stuff, as the two blended and improvised licks while generating cool jazz grooves. I only got to see three numbers by Nonsemble; a Pat Metheny jam, Duke Ellington’s “Things Ain’t What They Used to Be” and Cannonball Adderley’s “Unit 7.” These two generated a relaxed vibe that made arriving festival-goers feel at home as they settled in. Good stuff!

Andy Carey and Matt Dingo: Nonsemble.

Again, Nonsemble.

The weather was hot, with bright sunshine and temperatures in the upper ‘80s. Fortunately, I put sunblock on, but for a good vantage point in front of the stage, I had to sit in the sun. I weathered it; I just didn’t move around much!

Shifting the festival’s musical direction from jazz to blues was the Triple A Blues Band. Andy Tolins on guitar and vocals, Peter Jogo on bass, John “JT Blues” Thompson on keys and vocals, Pete Sheridan on harmonica and “Stubby” on drums mixed up traditional blues, folk blues, swing, jump blues, New Orleans flavors and more. Their musicianship was amazing throughout, from Andy’s slide guitar displays to JT Blues’ sparkling key runs to Pete Sheridan’s greasy harmonica wail and more. As the group dug deep for a lot of their set list, I didn’t recognize many of the songs Triple A Blues Band performed, but it all sounded good. Some songs that I did identify included Bill Broonzy’s “Key to the Highway,” with Pete Sheridan singing lead and original Triple A keyboardist Mark Daubert sitting in on keys; Rod Bernard’s “This Should Go On Forever,” with Bill Besecker stepping up to sing lead; and a Los Lobos number to close out the set. Triple A Blues Band’s performance was tasteful and tight, but robust and energetic, with the band showing the ability to shift gears musically in a pinch. Triple A provided the smooth transition from jazz to blues, and nicely escalated the mood and tempo of the afternoon.

Gearshifting the day into the blues, the Triple A Blues Band.

John “JT Blues” Thompson of the Triple A Blues Band.

Andy Tolins of the Triple A Blues Band.

Peter Jogo of the Triple A Blues Band.

Pete Sheridan of the Triple A Blues Band.

Stubby of the Triple A Blues Band.

Again, the Triple A Blues Band.

Again, Pete Sheridan of the Triple A Blues Band.

Again, John “JT Blues” Thompson.

Again, JT Blues.

With Mark Daubert sitting in on keys, the Triple A Blues Band.

Andy Tolins and Mark Daubert.

Again, Mark Daubert. Mark was the original keyboard player of the Triple A Blues Band.

Once again, Andy Tolins.

Stepping in to sing, Bill Besecker of the Triple A Blues Band.

Pete Sheridan and Peter Jogo.

Once again, the Triple A Blues Band.

Felix & the Hurricanes took the stage next. Fittingly enough, guitarist/singer Felix Kos, bassist/singer Jeff Clapper and drummer Bob Watters started their set with “I Just Had to Play the Blues,” leading into a feisty workout of original songs and select blues-rock covers. The Hurricanes proceeded through established original song faves like “Who’s Fooling Who,” the lowdown “On the Bottom Again” and “Free”; as well as newer songs such as “Going to Memphis (Beale Street),” “Looky There,” “Bring ‘Em Home” and “My Strength and My Courage.” They also broke out renditions of the Allman Brothers’ “Ain’t Wastin’ Time No More” and “Soulshine,” Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Satisfy Suzie” and “Tightrope,” and a Johnny Winter number. As usual, the Hurricanes sounded sharp on it. I noted again Jeff’s acute sense of groove; he stalks the groove in each song like the late “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin stalking a movement in the grass. Where Irwin might have pulled up a killer cobra, Jeff pulls up a killer groove and goes to town on it, his fingers authoritatively moving across the strings and drilling the bass line. Felix’s guitar talents weren’t lost on this audience, either; one fan who hadn’t seen the Hurricanes before was raving the rest of the evening about Felix’s guitar skills. Consider another new fan converted.

The Hurricanes take the stage during the Woodshed Blues and Jazz Festival.

Felix Kos of the Hurricanes.

Winning some new fans this day, Hurricane Felix.

Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes.

Laying down the bass grooves, Jeff Clapper.

Yours truly, enjoying the blues fireworks.

Bob Watters and Jeff Clapper.

Again, Jeff Clapper.

One more time, Hurricane Felix.

One band I eagerly anticipated seeing this day was The Blue Hornet Band, the surviving band behind the late “Queen Bee” Tonya Browne. Guitarist Mark Ross, keyboardist Mark Daubert, bassist Rene Witzke and drummer Jack Wilkinson displayed stellar musicianship on their set of blues, celebrating Queen Bee’s memory along the way. The group did a variety of traditional blues, including Louis Jordan’s “Caldonia,” Freddie King’s “Have You Ever Loved a Woman” and more. Mark and Jack swapped most of the singing duties, with guest Bill Besecker stepping in to front on a tune along the way, and Rene leading the group on the encore edition of Elvis Presley’s “Little Sister.” Another guest, Jason “Junior” Tutwiler of The Rustlanders, provided some additional guitar on Jerry McCain’s “She’s Tuff.” Again, The Blue Hornet Band’s musicianship was excellent, and their set kept spirits high through the late afternoon.

Mark Ross of The Blue Hornet Band.

Mark Ross of The Blue Hornet Band.

The Blue Hornet Band.

Jack Wilkinson of The Blue Hornet Band.

Mark Daubert of The Blue Hornet Band.

Again, The Blue Hornet Band.

Rene Witzke of The Blue Hornet Band.

Again, Mark Ross.

Again, Mark Daubert of The Blue Hornet Band.

Once again, Mark Ross.

Mark works his guitar.

More of Mark and his guitar.

Mark, continuing to work guitar magic.

A spread out festival audience takes in The Blue Hornet Band.

[color=cyanMore of ]Mark Ross.[/color]

Ye more guitar fireworks with Mark Ross.

Guest singer Bill Besecker joins The Blue Hornet Band.

Again, Rene Witzke of The Blue Hornet Band.

Again, The Blue Hornet Band with Bill Besecker.

The Rustlanders’ Junior Tutwiler joins in with The Blue Hornet Band.

The Blue Hornet Band with Bill Besecker and Junior Tutwiler.

Mark Ross and Junior Tutwiler.

One more time, Rene Witzke.

Evening began to arrive as one of the marquee names of the festival took the stage. Joanna Shaw Taylor has surfaced as a rising force in blues guitar in recent years. A 23-year-old white blues guitar-playing lady from the U.K., Joanne is widely regarded as one of the new faces of the blues. She showed the festival audience why in her set. Flanked by a bass player and drummer, Joanne went to town on a set of scorching electric blues, showcasing her fiery guitar-playing abilities. Her overall style both recalls the British blues-rock tradition of names like Cream, Jeff Beck and Robin Trower, as well as a slight Stevie Ray Vaughan edge. She and her band played a number of tracks from her debut CD, White Sugar, such as the instrumental title track, “Time Has Come,” “Kiss the Ground Goodbye” and the slow bluesy “Blackest Day.” Joanne’s guitar work shined the whole set, and several times she opened up with some full-shredding fireworks and heated jamming with her bandmates. After her scorching set-ending rendition of Don Nix/Jeff Beck’s “Going Down,” the festival crowd demanded an encore; and Joanne and her bandmates returned to do one more song.

Joanne Shaw Taylor.

One of the new faces of the blues, Joanne Shaw Taylor.

Joanne and her band.

Joanne’s drummer.

Joanne’s bass player.

Again, Joanne Shaw Taylor.

Again, Joanne and her band.

More of Joanne Shaw Taylor.

More of Joanne and her band.

Joanne works her guitar.

More of Joanne’s guitar prowess.

Once again, Joanne Shaw Taylor.

Once again, Joanne and her band.

Festival fans take in Joanne Shaw Taylor’s performance.

One more time, Joanne Shaw Taylor.

Next was the other anticipated marquee acts of the festival, Washington D.C. blues legends The Nighthawks. Lead singer and harmonica player Mark Wenner set the tone early by telling the festival crowd, “Let’s have some fun!” Mark, guitarist Paul Bell, bassist/singer Johnny Castle and drummer Mark Stutso went on to perform two sets of upbeat blues, mixing some of their many original songs and classic blues remakes. By the time they reached their fourth song, “Jana Lea,” The Nighthawks triggered the first serious dance action of the day. “Jana Lea” was one of several tunes the group performed from their latest studio CD American Landscape; they also did “Made Up My Mind,” “Don’t Turn Your Heater On” and “Down In the Hole” from that album as well. The Nighthawks did a number of other songs from their catalog as well, including “High Temperature,” “Cat Clothes On,” “Rock This House,” “The Chicken and the Hawk,” “You Don’t Love Me (You Don’t Care),” “Matchbox” and more. The Nighthawks made it all look and sound so fun and easy. Mark Wenner playfully piped out his harmonica wail at will, and the group kept the mood upbeat while showing exemplary skills on their instruments and voices. They clearly generated a blues party.

Folks look on and dance to the Nighthawks.

Again, The Nighthawks.

Mark Wenner and Paul Bell of the Nighthawks.

Mark Wenner of the Nighthawks.

Again, the Nighthawks.

Again, Paul Bell.

Again, Mark Wenner.

One more time, the Nighthawks.

With night’s arrival, a bonfire comes to life at the Woodshed Blues and Jazz Festival.

When The Nighthawks reached the end of their first set, I noted some distant lightning on the horizon. The lightning quickly grew brighter and more widespread across the horizon, and I feared the we were going to be hit by a storm in short order. I headed up the hill to my car, and ended up taking in the Nighthawks’ second set from a distance while I watched the skies. I could still hear the music clearly enough, and I soon was treated to a natural light show as well, as the approaching storm set off vivid sky-to-sky lightning. Other members of the festival audience soon noticed this show as well, and cheered whenever a bright sky-to-sky lightning burst illuminated the night sky. Eventually, The Nighthawks noticed this lightning as well, and brought their second set to a close as a precaution.

Everybody watched the lightning for a while; but fortunately, while thunder could be heard, this storm barely missed the festival area and headed north of the grounds. I could still see more distant lightning on the horizon, though, and was apprehensive as the last band of the night, Sugabone, set up to perform.

The lightning near miss was enough to scare away much of the earlier crowd, who either departed the festival or retreated to their own tents and campers. But several hardcore live music and blues fans stuck around to see Sugabone’s performance. Andy Tolins on guitar and vocals, Chris Gamble and Eli Byrne on saxes, Tom Jordan on bass, Jimmy Mathis on keys and Ronnie Burrage on drums played a colorful selection of funk, R&B, blues and more. Again, musicianship was top notch, as was these musicians’ ability to lay down some thick and spicy grooves. I didn’t recognize much of Sugabone’s set list, except for Sly & the Family Stone’s “If You Want Me to Stay”; Sugabone also did numbers from Ivan Neville, Marvin Gaye and more. Sugabone succeeded in satisfying the remaining fans that stuck around; and brought the Woodshed Blues and Jazz Festival to a strong close.

Closing out the festival, Sugabone.

Again, Sugabone.

Once again, Sugabone.

Eli Byrne and Chris Gamble of Sugabone.

Although attendance wasn’t heavy, the inaugural Woodshed Blues and Jazz Festival did draw some crowd, as blues fans took advantage of the opportunity to see witness some quality live blues. Hats off to Jon Guyer for putting this event together, as wel as Pat McGinnis and Colton Fouse for their steady work behind the consoles all day to make each performer sound good. Hopefully this inaugural edition of the festival was successful enough to warrant a sequel next year.

As I said, more lightning was on the horizon, and the journey back home to Altoona provided a stellar sky-to-sky lightning show all the way back, with the actual storm sources of the fireworks hitting Altoona just as I pulled into my driveway. So not only did this day provide me with some premium blues and jazz entertainment, but a sky show from Mother Nature as well!

(The remainder of the recap is continued in Part 2...)

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: