· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 8/16/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Oct 08, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 8/16/10

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/9/10

Normalcy had to be restored this night…After two weeks without Pellegrine’s wings, I returned to stave off withdrawal symptoms by enjoying an overdue round of wings, accompanied by music from That’s What She Said.

Adam D and Jess P alternated singing assignments again this night, doing their respective varieties of hits and favorites. There weren’t too many surprises this night, other than Jess giving the house two rounds of her playful singalong rendition of “The Pussycat Song.” And Gamber Gone Wild did a respectable job of vocalizing on Looking Glass’ 1972 chestnut “Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl).”

Late in the night, “the Guy with Issues,” Adam Banks of local comedy troupe Issues Entertainment, stepped up to sing and play guitar; doing songs from Bob Marley and Marvin Gaye.

World hunger wasn’t solved this night, but my wing hunger was. Good enough!

STORY OF THE YEAR/THE COLOR MORALE/AMERICAN FANGS/CHANCES ARE HIGH/VISION TO NONE @ ELDOLYN TERRACE, ALTOONA 8/10/10

After being contacted by one of the groups taking part in an all-ager this night at the Eldolyn Terrace, I decided to come check out this five-band show and see the band – American Fangs – in action. The Emergency Scene show was headlined by Epitaph recording group Story Of The Year.

I didn’t know what to expect crowd-wise when I arrived; I figured the Eldolyn probably wouldn’t be quite as packed as it was when Mayday Parade played there earlier in the year. But as I arrived, a good-sized contingent of young music fans were in the house, and coupled with the hot temperatures outside, it was again sauna conditions inside the Terrace.

State College’s Vision To None had already kicked things off prior to my arrival and were done and off the stage. I did get there in time to catch part of the performance by Greensburg’s Chances Are High, who fired off punk-driven original rock. I didn’t catch any of their song titles, but what they performed sounded solid.

Brian Waltos of Chances Are High.

Chances Are High rocks a packed Eldolyn Terrace.

Brian Waltos and Cameron Miller of Chances Are High.

Luke Smartnick of Chances Are High.

Again, Brian Waltos of Chances Are High.

Next was Houston, Texas-based foursome American Fangs; unleashing a torrid, hard-slamming sound. Fronted by feral lead singer Gus, the Fangs generated velocity as they charged through their catalog of original songs, triggering some youthful moshpit action along the way. These guys were swift and powerful; I liked!

Mitch of American Fangs.

Kal of American Fangs.

Gus of American Fangs.

Again, Kal of American Fangs.

Again, Gus of American Fangs, demonstrating what a sauna the Eldolyn was this night.

Once again, Gus of American Fangs.

Again, Mitch of American Fangs.

Gus and Mitch of American Fangs.

More of Gus of American Fangs.

American Fangs, baring their musical teeth at the Eldolyn Terrace.

Jeff of American Fangs

On the stage floor, Gus of American Fangs

Illinois five-piece The Color Morale continued with a progressive-leaning, modern rock sound. Much of their song material combined detailed arrangements with visceral metallic and hardcore-laden passages, angst-edged vocals and more. Like American Fangs before them, The Color Morale also triggered some mosh action in front of the stage, even the arm-flailing martial arts-styled stuff!

Garrett Rapp of The Color Morale.

Steve Carey of The Color Morale.

The Color Morale rocks the sweaty hordes inside the Eldolyn.

Again, Garrett Rapp of The Color Morale.

Headliners Story Of The Year capped the evening with a feisty blend of melody and aggression as they rocked the Eldolyn Terrace crowd with songs from throughout their catalog. The group battled technical problems with their microphones early on, but locked into their groove once those problems were resolved. Constantly charging the front of the stage, singer Dan Marsala led the group on numbers such as “The Antidote,” “Take Me Back,” “Wake Up,” the new song “The Ghost of You and I” and more. When the audience demanded the encore, Story Of The Year answered with the acoustic number “Sidewalks” (introduced with a Foo Fighters “My Hero” tease) and “Until the Day I Die.”

Dan Marsala of Story Of The Year.

Again, Dan Marsala.

The Skull of Story Of The Year.

Josh Wills and The Skull of Story Of The Year.

Ryan Phillips of Story Of The Year.

Story Of The Year.

A huge Terrace crowd watches Story Of The Year.

This was a good bill, with five bands each with their own style and focus. It was good to see the heavy turnout, even if the Eldolyn Terrace felt like a steam bath from start to end!

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/11/10

After kicking off the evening by attending a part-time faculty meeting at Penn State Altoona for the upcoming fall semester, I headed to Pellegrine’s for my regularly-scheduled appointed rounds with pizza and Open Mic/Jam Night!

Music was already happening when I arrived, with Mike Gambardella, Don Osborn, Jamie Shumack and Priscilla the Tambourine Lady in action. A guest singer named Emily stepped up to belt out voice on a song, before Don fronted the musicians on a version of the Classics IV’s “Spooky.” Jeff Renner then joined in on guitar, and this grouping of musicians did Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” and a few other tunes.

Jam Night frequent flyer Eric D stepped up and performed a set, doing his blend of rock and Americana sounds. Eric did familiar favorites from Neil Young, the Grateful Dead, Tom Petty, Violent Femmes and the Rolling Stones, and also threw in The Devil Makes Three’s “The Bullet.” Jeff and Jamie then joined Eric on “All Along the Watchtower,” and Don, Adam D and Scott Imler then joined in on “Mustang Sally.” At this point, I hopped in on bongos to help finish the night on renditions of Kiss’ “Rock and Roll All Night” and AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell.”

Again, good jams, good food, good times!

Mike Gambardella, Emily, Don Osborn and Priscilla the Tambourine Lady.

Scott Imler, Jeff Renner, Adam D and Don Osborn crank out some jams.

SLIM BIZZY & THE WISEGUYS @ BLAIR COUNTY BALLPARK, ALTOONA 8/12/10

I initially was planning to attend the Lakemont Park Wing-Off this night, but an opportunity came up for me to represent my broadcast employer at this night’s Altoona Curve game at Blair County Ballpark. I would get to host one of the between-innings contests with audience members.

As it turns out, I also got to enjoy some live music at the ballpark, courtesy of Slim Bizzy & the Wiseguys, who provided pre-game music on the concourse along the 3rd base side. Before the Altoona Curve took on the Trenton Thunder, Slim Bizzy & the Wiseguys entertained arriving fans, performing a variety of blues-rooted sounds. Brian “Slim Bizzy” Cupples on lead vocals and guitar, Randy Ketner on bass and Jeff Van Clief on drums mixed it up with a diverse selection; spanning The Band’s “Up on Cripple Creek” to Dwight Yoakum’s “Fast as You” to Robben Ford’s “Prison of Love” and more. Their presentation was crisp, topped by Brian’s personable blend of bluesy swagger and rural charm.

The Curve came from behind to beat Trenton during the game. So the music and a Curve victory made it worthwhile for me to bypass the Wing-Off for another week.

Slim Bizzy & the Wiseguys.

Brian “Slim Bizzy” Cupples and Randy Ketner of Slim Bizzy & the Wiseguys.

Again, Slim Bizzy.

Again, Randy Ketner.

Jeff Van Clief of Slim Bizzy & the Wiseguys.

Again, Jeff Van Clief.

Again, Slim Bizzy & the Wiseguys.

Once again, Slim Bizzy.

Once again, Slim Bizzy & the Wiseguys.

One more time, Jeff Van Clief.

MIDNIGHT RODEO/SPLIT IMAGE @ “FRIDAY AFTER 5,” CUMBERLAND TOWN CENTRE, CUMBERLAND, MD 8/13/10

Still getting caught up on Pennsylvania Musician duties after my week of vacation, I headed southward to get the southern Blair County and Bedford County deliveries done this day. There was a jazz concert happening in downtown Altoona’s Heritage Plaza this night, but I decided that since I was already in Bedford, I was then only 25 additional minutes away from Cumberland, Maryland, which has been presenting their weekly Friday After 5 free summer concerts. So I decided to stay out of Dodge (Altoona) for a while longer, and venture further southward on Route 220 to see what Cumberland’s concert series had to offer.

As it turns out, a lot…Staged throughout the downtown Cumberland Town Centre, each concert features three bands performing on stage areas at strategic points through this downtown plaza. By the time I had arrived this night, Three Ironics had already performed, but there were still other groups in action to check out. I made my way down through the plaza area and followed the sound of country music to find Bedford’s Midnight Rodeo.

Midnight Rodeo had a large contingent of folks dancing to their brand of “country with a kick,” as they mixed country-flavored original songs with country and classic rock favorites. Singer Rick Zimmerman took the party to the audience, venturing into the crowd several times to serenade fans; backed by the sturdy and polished corps of guitarist Mark Diehl, keyboardist Terry Feathers, bassist Roy Corle and drummer Dana Corle. Midnight Rodeo mixed it up with country hits such as Jason Aldean’s “Big Green Tractor,” James Otto’s “Just Got Started Loving You,” Toby Keith’s “A Little Less Talk and a Lot More Action,” Keith Urban’s “Love Somebody Like You” and others; plus Ben E. King’s “Stand By Me,” The Temptations’ “My Girl” and “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg,” and more.

Midnight Rodeo entertains downtown Cumberland.

A large audience looks on as Midnight Rodeo entertains.

Again, Midnight Rodeo.

Roy Corle and Rick Zimmerman of Midnight Rodeo.

Again, Midnight Rodeo.

Again, Rick Zimmerman and Roy Corle.

Terry Feathers of Midnight Rodeo.

Mark Diehl of Midnight Rodeo.

More of Midnight Rodeo.

Again, Rick Zimmerman.

Roy Corle of Midnight Rodeo.

Again, Rick Zimmerman.

Once again, Midnight Rodeo.

Again, Mark Diehl.

Mark Diehl and Dana Corle of Midnight Rodeo.

Rick Zimmerman mixes it up with the audience.

Again, Rick Zimmerman.

One more time, Mark Diehl and Roy Corle.

Once Midnight Rodeo finished their set and went on break, I soon proceeded to another part of the plaza to see some more live music. I came upon a band advertised as Resett; but soon heard the drummer announce that this was the new line-up of reforming Cumberland foursome Split Image, playing their second show together this night. Drummer/singer Roger Plummer, guitarist/singer Ross Barry, bassist Terry Mulaney and keyboardist Mark Patrick sounded good on their wide variety of ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s hits. Their song selection spanned everything from a reggae-tinged version of Simon & Garfunkel’s “Cecilia” to Hall & Oates’ “Sarah Smile,” to Blues Traveler’s “Runaround,” “Rocky Top,” the extended version of Pure Prairie League’s “Amie” and much more. Since it was just this line-up’s second show, they started out a bit tentative, but picked up steam and momentum as they went, and were delivering a steady and upbeat good time by the time all was said and done.

Cumberland’s Split Image.

Again, Split Image.

Ross Barry and Terry Mulaney of Split Image.

Ross Barry of Split Image.

Again, Cumberland’s Split Image.

Some children take in the show.

Again, Ross Barry.

Mark Patrick of Split Image.

After I departed Cumberland, I headed northward toward home. Since I didn’t grab any supper in downtown Cumberland (my only complaint about “Friday After 5,” there were no food vendors, just the restaurants and cafes already housed in downtown, and they were all full and not close to the stages), I decided to hit the Bedford Denny’s restaurant on the way back home. I saw Roy and Dana Corle from Midnight Rodeo, also grabbing a meal as they returned home. They informed me that shortly after I left their stage area, a fan in the front row grabbed his chest and fell over with a heart attack! A stretcher was brought in to remove the person, and with the upbeat mood of the show disrupted by the drama of life and death, Midnight Rodeo’s performance ended early…clearly not the ideal way to end a show!

OLE ‘97/SHADES OF JUNE @ PORTAGE SUMMERFEST, CRICHTON-McCORMICK PARK, PORTAGE 8/14/10

Festival events with music seemed to be happening everywhere this weekend…Richland Community Days in Johnstown, Central City Heritage Days, St. Patrick’s Church Festival in Newry, and Portage’s annual Summerfest were all taking place. Having not attended Summerfest in well over a decade, Portage ended up as my destination this day, as Summerfest provided a wide selection of live musical flavors at the town’s Crichton-McCormick Park.

Once I arrived and parked, I caught up with Johnny Cash tribute act Ole 97, playing to a nice-sized crowd at the gazebo stage. Front and center once again was Man In Black protégé Randy Hunter, whose stunning resemblance to the look, voice and sound of Johnny Cash had to be experienced to be believed! Charlene Boldin complemented Randy in the June Carter role; with the backing cast of Joe Brucker and Joe Martin on guitars, “Big Jim” Ricotta on bass and Paul Carpenter on drums. Ole 97 performed a wide variety of Cash hits and favorites; spanning the ever-popular “Folsom Prison Blues” and “Ring of Fire” to the Johnny-June duet “Jackson,” to the Man In Black’s spins on Soundgarden’s “Rusty Cage,” Nine Inch Nails’ “Hurt” and more. Randy and Charlene frequently interacted with the audience, and had a number of folks dancing in a circle during the rousing show-ending fusion of “Daddy Sang Bass” and “Will the Circle Be Unbroken.”

Ole 97 entertains at Portage Summerfest.

Randy Hunter and Charlene Boldin of Ole 97 serenade an audience member.

Again, Randy Hunter and Charlene Boldin of Ole 97.

Johnstown’s “Man In Black,” Randy Hunter.

Again, Ole 97.

Big Jim and Joe Brucker of Ole 97.

Again, Charlene Boldin as June Carter.

Once again, Charlene Boldin.

Once again, Randy Hunter.

Randy Hunter takes the show to the audience.

Randy gets some gals dancing.

Randy and Charlene dance with the ladies.

Again, Randy Hunter.

Randy leads a train of fans around the grounds.

More folks join in.

Will the Circle Be Unbroken.

Ring around the rosey with Ole 97.

Again, Randy and Charlene have fun with the crowd.

The fun continues.

Mama sang bass, Daddy sang tenor, and Fido sang…nothing.

Big Jim is a big man in black.

Johnstown’s Man In Black has a hearse in black.

Randy Hunter and the Ole 97 hearse.

Shortly after Ole 97 completed their performance, Shades Of June started their show within the fenced confines of the park’s playground/basketball court area. Lead singer/guitarist Ryan Krinjeck, guitarist Alex Davis, bassist Chris Myer and drummer Jesse August warmed up the Summerfest crowd for the night-ending fireworks display with spirited rock favorites spanning the ‘70s to now. They did songs from Weezer, Blues Traveler, the Beatles, Sublime, Blink 182, their rocking takes on Johnny Cash’s “Ring of Fire” and “Folsom Prison Blues,” their new original song “Ordinary Day” and more.

Jesse August of Shades Of June.

Ryan Krinjeck of Shades Of June.

Chris Myer of Shades Of June.

Again, Ryan Krinjeck.

Alex Davis of Shades Of June.

Again, Chris Myer.
Again, Jesse August.

Entertaining under the tent on the playground, Shades Of June.

Part of the displays at Summerfest included this maximum security duck holding pen; these quackers were suspected of plotting a terrorist act during this year’s festival.

I stuck around through most of two sets, before departing to head back down the hill to the ‘Toona for a night of metal…

NAILDRIVER/THE EMBALMED/NINETAIL @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 8/14/10

Area metal fans had a great reason to be salivating this night, as three of the region’s top metal names were stating their cases on the stage at Aldo’s. Naildriver, The Embalmed and Ninetail were bringing their respective brands of sonic apocalypse.

I arrived shortly before NailDriver launched the night with their thrash-tinged brand of metal. Singer Floyd Hunter, lead guitarist Scott Botteicher, bassist Scott Bush and drummer Kevin Siegel demonstrated velocity and precision as they drilled original assaults such as “The Enemy,” “We the People,” “In God We Trust,” “The Executioner” and more. Naildriver also broke out a scathing version of Metallica/Budgie’s “Breadfan.”

Naildriver brings the metal to Aldo’s.

Floyd Hunter of Naildriver.

Scott Botteicher of Naildriver.

Kevin Siegel of Naildriver.

Again, Naildriver.

It was “Hell Up” next, as The Embalmed roared and thundered with their brand of firepower. Vocalists/guitarists Chad and Jason Straw, bassist Greg Hatch and drummer Darren Byer introduced the intense new assaults “Nine Ring Circus” and “All Devil’s Day.” From their latest CD, What Would Judas Do, the group broke out the title track along with “Godless America” and “Deathlehem,” and also pulled out oldies but goodies “Hell Up,” “Crucifixation” and “Lambs of the Black Hand.” The Embalmed’s execution was powerful and dead on, displaying a CD-like crispness throughout.

Chad Straw of The Embalmed.

Greg Hatch of The Embalmed.

The Embalmed unleashes their fury at Aldo’s.

Again, Greg Hatch.

Chad and Jason Straw of The Embalmed.

Jason Straw of The Embalmed.

Darren Byer of The Embalmed.

York cyber-metal powerhouse Ninetail finished the night with their scathing presentation; introducing a new number called “Waterloo,” and performing sinister fare from their Half Truths and Hand Grenades CD such as the title track, “Bull Ring,” “Seasoned Scheme,” “The Decider” and more. Frontman J. William Heitmann delivered all-out, vein-bursting intensity in his performance, riding atop the terse and brutal backdrops generated by lead guitarist Don Belch, rhythm guitarist Chris Evan, bassist Griff, keyboardist Greg Weber and drummer Chris Appenzeller. Like the other two bands, Ninetail’s execution was also precise and thunderous, demonstrating firepower and detail.

J. William Heitmann of Ninetail.

Griff of Ninetail.

Chris Evan and Griff of Ninetail.

J. William Heitmann and some stagefront headbangers.

Again, Ninetail.

Again, Chris Evan and Griff.

J. William Heitmann, Don Belch and Chris Appenzeller of Ninetail.

Again, Griff of Ninetail.

Don Belch of Ninetail.

More Ninetail.

Ninetail’s onslaught continues.

Yet more Ninetail.

Once again, J. William Heitmann.

Chris Appenzeller of Ninetail.

This was an exciting show, as all three bands delivered clearly distinctive slants to their respective brands of metal music. Each had their own flavor, and all presented quality performances on Aldo’s stage. Here’s hoping these forces again converge on the same stage again soon.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ SHAW’S BAR, ALTOONA 8/15/10

It was time for another dose of Sunday Hurricaning at Shaw’s to close out the weekend.

A good-sized contingent of Hurricaniacs and Shaw’s regulars were in the house when I first arrived. Felix, Bob and Sunday night bassman Pat McGinnis were just returning from a break in the action, and resumed with Eric Clapton’s “Motherless Children.” With the sad news of the passing of Pittsburgh blues guitar great Glenn Pavone earlier in the week, the ‘Canes paid their homage with a rendition of one of Glenn’s songs, “Postal Jack.” The group continued with Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Mary Had a Little Lamb” and the Allman Brothers’ “Sweet Melissa,” before Pat fronted the group on Jerry Jeff Walker’s “Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother,” which ended with a Grateful Dead “Truckin’” tease. Guest trombonist Matt Brown then joined the group onstage for several songs, providing a brassy edge to Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition,” the Doors’ “Love Me Two Times,” Johnny Winter’s “It Ain’t Your Business,” Jimmy Reed’s “Bright Lights Big City” and War’s “Low Rider.” Nearing night’s end, the Hurricanes continued with the Doors’ “Riders on the Storm,” before Pat took his bass for a walk on Jonny Lang’s “Rack ‘Em Up” to end the night.

Yet again, the Hurricanes dazzled with their skills, with Felix generating the magic on the guitar strings, and Bob and Pat providing the sturdy framework behind him. The Shaw’s crowd was festive and thoroughly enjoyed the display, and yet another weekend was sent into the books with a Hurricane-force exclamation point!

Sunday night Hurricaning at Shaw’s with guest trombone man Matt Brown.

Pat McGinnis of the Hurricanes.

Again, the Hurricanes with Matt Brown.

Working his regularly-scheduled Shaw’s guitar magic, Felix Kos of the Hurricanes.

Bob Watters and Matt Brown.

One more time, the Hurricanes with Matt Brown.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: