· The Forums
· The Final Cut
LABOR DAY WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/7/10 PT. 1
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Nov 26, 2010 

LABOR DAY WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/7/10 PT. 1

(JP'S NOTE: Due to the large amount of bands I saw this Labor Day weekend, and the corresponding large number of photos I took, this recap comes to you in two parts so I can fit everything in. Part 1 covers through Friday night; Part 2 covers Saturday through Labor Day Monday. Enjoy!)

ST. FRANCIS UNIVERSITY WORLD DRUMMING ENSEMBLE/JAM SESSION @ THE BOILERHOUSE, ST. FRANCIS UNIVERSITY, LORETTO 8/30/10

I added a new twist to my Monday nights starting this night, by joining the St. Francis University World Drumming Ensemble. This was the first session of the new semester, taking place in the university’s Boilerhouse.

I had contemplated joining this for a while, actually ever since I first went to see one of their concerts a couple of years ago. After starting to play some hand percussion at Pellegrine’s weekly Wednesday jam nights, and at the encouragement of Ensemble members Kent Tonkin (grimmbass) and Missy Bailey, I decided to take the plunge and give the World Drumming Ensemble a try.

Just minutes into my first session, I knew I made a good choice. Banging on drums is fun, especially in the company of some 50 other people! Director Jim Donovan (former Rusted Root drummer) made everyone feel welcome and quickly got everybody focused and on the same page, as we learned and played several African-based drum songs over the one-hour, fifteen-minute session.

The first practice was followed by an impromptu jam session, as some 12 of us hung around and jammed on some common rhythms. Fortunately, I had brought my bongos along in the back of my car, and brought those in to participate.

Drumming followed by a jam session (followed by wings at Pelly’s)…sounds like a good future itinerary for my Monday nights!

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/30/10

The co-ed dynamic duo of Adam D and Jess P was back to entertain another Pellegrine’s Monday wing night.

It was a fairly routine night for That’s What She Said, as Adam and Jess alternated singing duties through much of the night and did their regularly-scheduled succession of hits and favorites. There were no real musical revelations this week; pretty much the tried and true playlist.

Likewise, Gamber Gone Wild did his regularly-scheduled territorial pissing on Looking Glass’ “Brandy.” Could the creators of that song ever envisioned the fate that song would endure 38 years later in an Altoona, Pennsylvania watering hole? Who needs a Grammy anyway?

All in good fun…the wings were good, and a good time was had…

Adam D and Jess P.; That’s What She Said.

Gamber Gone Wild and Jess P.

ISSUES @ HERITAGE PLAZA, ALTOONA 9/1/10

The Blair County Community Action Agency was having Issues this night. The band, that is…Issues played one of the final concerts of the Agency’s “Summer In The City” concert series at downtown Altoona’s Heritage Plaza.

This was my first chance to see a full Issues show since the addition of new singer Nikki Lytle last year. Nikki, guitarist/singer John McKelvey, bassist Bob “Zorbo” Slovikosky and drummer Skip Fisher introduced a number of classic-rooted original songs, along with a few select covers over their two sets.

Nikki displayed a strong, clear voice with good range, plus ample stage presence as she gave her signature to Issues originals like “Independence Day,” “Creatures of the Night” and “Run From the Shadows.” Her seasoned bandmates provided tight and crunchy backdrops behind her.

Issues’ cover selection touched on the occasional Donnas or Katy Perry hit such as “Take It Off” and “I Kissed a Girl.” But more of Issues’ covers were updates from the back catalogs of Nikki’s bandmates. The group offered their slants on songs by John’s various projects; including The Front’s “Still the Rain,” The Housepets’ “Hot Lover” and “Sin After Sin.” And they also tapped “Zorbo’s” and Skip’s past, performing Cut The Mustard’s “Cross That Line.”

Issues also introduced several new original songs as well; including “The Naked Truth” and the Skip-penned “You Called.”

The crowd enjoyed and cheered Issues’ efforts this night. Based on this performance, Issues appears to be clicking on all cylinders and moving forward.

Issues at Heritage Plaza.

Nikki Lytle of Issues.

Bob “Zorbo” Slovikosky of Issues.

John McKelvey of Issues.

Skip Fisher of Issues.

Again, Nikki Lytle of Issues.

John McKelvey and Nikki Lytle.

Again, Zorbo of Issues.

Again, John and Nikki of Issues.

Once again, Nikki Lytle.

Once again, Zorbo.

More of Issues.

Once again, John McKelvey.

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/1/10

Pellegrine’s Wednesday Open Mic/Jam Night was again a busy affair, with some 16 different people stepping up to perform – including the venue operator!

Shark Bite was playing as I first arrived. Adam D on keys and Big Jim on guitar did various favorites from The Who, Eagles, Dr. Hook, Marcy Playground, 4 Non Blondes, Motley Crue and more. Eventually, Jamie Shumac and Terry Wilt joined in on Steve Miller Band’s “Rock’n Me,” before guest singer Brian Weston stepped up to sing on Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page.” John Buterbaugh later contributed his guitar talents on Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall” and Glenn Frey’s “Party Town.”

Rich Edmundson then stepped up to give the other musicians a rest. Rich did his assortment of original songs, freestyles and select covers; doing his spin on “Wild Thing,” his instrumental display “Percussive Guitar,” “Barstool” and more.

Rich Edmundson.

Harmonica Dave then stepped up to blow some harp for a couple of numbers, before Eric D performed a solo set of numbers from John Prine, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Jim Croce, Grateful Dead and more.

Blowing some harp, Harmonica Dave.

Next was Rich Dasch, strumming acoustic guitar and singing numbers from CCR, Neil Young and more. Ron Russell followed him with a new original song, with John Buterbaugh and Terry Wilt providing accompaniment.

The jam session then kicked in en masse. Musicians partaking included most of the aforementioned names, as well as Priscilla the Tambourine Lady, Rich Piccerillo on guitar and the bongo- and cajon-playing Professor. Late in the proceedings, Pelly’s main man Harry Jr. contributed his vocal talents and lyrical acuity on the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues,” before Wyld Syde frontman Jimmy Kondash demonstrated his powerful pipes on Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch,” inspiring wait staffers Robin and Julie to dance behind the bar!

It was fun music and thrills, plus lots of musical camaraderie at this edition of Jam Night; good stuff!

Ron Russell, joined by John Buterbaugh and Terry Wilt.

Jamie Shumac belts out some voice.

Harry Pellegrine Jr. helps out on vocals.

Again, Jamie and Harry Jr.

One more time, Jamie and Harry Jr. front the jam.

CENTRE GRANGE FAIR, CENTRE HALL 9/2/10

I hadn’t done any fairs yet this summer season, but with some quality entertainment slated for the final day of the annual Centre Grange Fair near Centre Hall, I decided to spend an afternoon and evening there.

It didn’t take me long to locate live music once I arrived and parked. I heard Clearfield County’s Silver Eagle performing on the fairground’s north stage as I made my way into the fairgrounds, and stepped over to investigate. Three guys and two ladies strong, Silver Eagle blended a variety of rock’n’roll and country favorites; spanning Elvis to George Strait to Tom Petty to Keith Urban and more. Some of their best highlighted included the Petty tunes, which included “The Last DJ,” and a coed duet on Tom Petty/Stevie Nicks’ “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around.”

Silver Eagle.

As Silver Eagle’s performance ended, I started perusing around the fairgrounds, scoping out the food selections and eventually settling on such festival staples as an Italian sausage sandwich and fries. I located the grandstand, where I would head later on, before doubling back to find the Jubilee Stage area, where the next act I wanted to see was playing.

A look at the fair crowd.

That act was Pittsburgh’s Mahajibee Blues. They performed at the recent Pittsburgh Blues Festival, but I didn’t get to see them there, so this would be my chance to check them out. Featuring Tim Ambrass on bass, Brent McConnell on drums, Lonnie Holbdy on guitar and bass, Patrick Tevis on vocals and keys, and Ray Sherman on guitar; Mahajibee tastefully mixed various flavors into their blues mix, from the blues rock of their original song “Little Man” to the slower blues of their version of Guitar Slim’s “The Things I Used to Do,” to the funkier stylings of “Funkified Blues” and all things in between. It was all smoothly done and confidently executed, as Mahajibee locked into a steady groove and never let up for the duration. While many fair-goers walked by, a growing number of people procured seats on the nearby park benches to watch Mahajibee do their thing. It was good-sounding blues, and Mahajibee was clearly a band I would like to see again sometime.

Pittsburgh’s Mahajibee Blues.

Patrick Tevis of Mahajibee Blues.

Again, Mahajibee Blues.

Patrick Tevis and Lonnie Holbdy of Mahajibee Blues.

Brent McConnell of Mahajibee Blues.

Lonnie Holbdy of Mahajibee Blues.

Once again, Mahajibee Blues.

Brent McConnell and Tim Ambrass of Mahajibee Blues.

Again, Lonnie Holbdy.

Again, Tim Ambrass.

Ray Sherman of Mahajibee Blues.

A reminder that in life, even with a fun fair and good blues music like Mahajibee Blues just performed, some people just can’t seem to get the monkey off their backs.

After Mahajibee Blues’ performance, I made my way to the grandstand stage, where California-based Eagles tribute group Hotel California would cap the evening and the Grange Fair. Formed after the Eagles first disbanded in 1982, this group turned out to be fantastic, as they delivered the total Eagles experience. Their arrangements were tight and accurate, and their vocals convincingly replicated Don Henley and Glenn Frey; you could believe you were actually listening to the Eagles’ records! Comprised of Dicky Lee Dickinson on vocals, mandolin, pedal steel, harmonicas and guitars; Wade Hogue on vocals, keyboards, acoustic guitars and percussion; Steve Probst on guitars, banjo and vocals; Scott Fronsoe on bass and vocals; and Phil Rowland on drums; Hotel California started off with early Eagles classics like “Take It Easy” and “Witchy Woman,” and progressed their way through the group’s ‘70s hits like “Best Of My Love,” “Tequila Sunrise,” “Life in the Fast Lane,” “One of These Nights” and more. The group also mixed in some of the Eagles’ solo hits, such as Glenn Frey’s “Smuggler’s Blues,” Joe Walsh’s “Rocky Mountain Way” and during the encore, Don Henley’s “All She Wants to Do Is Dance.” Other highlights included their four-part vocal harmonies on “Seven Bridges Road,” Dicky Lee’s talkbox display during “Rocky Mountain Way,” and the group’s title song, which climactically closed the main set before their three-song encore. I was totally blown away by Hotel California’s convincing Eagles sound and attention to detail, as well as the excellent job done by the soundman to make it all sound smooth and full. This was a very impressive show, and provided an excellent close to the Grange Fair.

Eagles tribute Hotel California closes the Centre Grange Fair.

Steve Probst of Hotel California.

Scott Fronsoe of Hotel California.

Wade Hogue and Steve Probst of Hotel California.

Wade Hogue of Hotel California.

Phil Rowland of Hotel California.

Again, Steve Probst.

Again, Hotel California.

Once again, Hotel California.

Singing “Seven Bridges Road,” Dicky, Wade, Scott and Steve of Hotel California.

Once again, Steve Probst.

Again, Phil Rowland.

Again, Wade Hogue.

Again, Scott Fronsoe.

Scott Fronsoe and Wade Hogue of Hotel California.

Dicky Lee Dickinson of Hotel California.

Scott Fronsoe and Steve Probst.

Steve Probst and Dicky Lee Dickinson.

Hotel California takes it into the audience.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/2/10

With Hotel California’s show ended by 10:30, I had enough time to get back to my car and drive back to Altoona to finish off the night with some late Thursday night Hurricaning at Pellegrine’s.

Felix, Bob, Jeff and Thursday keyboard man Dave Villani were into their homestretch as I arrived. The crowd was a bit on the sparse side, but this did not deter the Hurricanes from doing good work on their last several numbers. The group was in a “Rude Mood” when I arrived, with Felix and Dave conducting some musical conversations on their instruments. They continued with Joe Walsh’s “Rocky Mountain Way,” their new instrumental original “Whirlwind,” the Dave-fronted take on Bruce Springsteen’s “Born to Run,” and “Walkin’ A Straight Line” sent out to Hurricaniac Crawdad. When the small audience demanded an encore, the group responded with “Freeborn Man.”

What I saw of this night’s Hurricaning was excellent and feisty; I wish more people would have been there to witness it!

CAMBRIA CITY ETHNIC FESTIVAL, JOHNSTOWN 9/3/10

The climax of my summer festival season always happens in Johnstown’s Cambria City neighborhood on Labor Day weekend. The Cambria City Ethnic Festival again combined food, music and community; with three Cambria City churches offering slates of food and musical entertainment, along with additional entertainment at Ace’s Lounge, the Bottle Works Ethnic Arts Center and the Venue of Merging Arts (V.O.M.A.). I would essentially make Johnstown’s Cambria City neighborhood my home away from home for the next night and two days.

I arrived this night in time to see The Conniptions at Holy Cross Lutheran Church, doing their energetic mixture of vintage rock with a few surprises. I procured my first cabbage-based foodstuffs of this Ethnic Fest weekend, in the form of sauerkraut on top of some tasty kolbassi in a sandwich. I would be savoring quite a bit of this cabbage substance in its various forms over the next 72 hours.

To the band…Guitarist David Meiklejohn, bassist Duaine Detrick and drummer Tom Romanak did tried and trusty classics, like Free’s “All Right Now,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Gimme 3 Steps,” Jethro Tull’s “Locomotive Breath,” Them’s “Gloria” and more. But they also dug out some surprises, breaking out renditions of the Ventures’ “Walk Don’t Run,” Edison’s Lighthouse’s “Love Grows,” and a 1972 original song, “Boogie Music.” And they also tapped the modern vein, doing White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army.” The Conniptions sounded competent on all of it, and the audience – both passers by and seated – seemed to enjoy it.

The Conniptions.

Tom Romanak of The Conniptions.

David Meiklejohn of The Conniptions.

Duaine Detrick of The Conniptions.

Again, The Conniptions.

Once again, The Conniptions.

I next walked up Chestnut Street, and while tempted to veer back toward St. Mary’s to see the first night of Yum’s outdoor street party, instead proceeded past and continued to the Venue Of Merging Arts, V.O.M.A., where I checked out new Johnstown-based Rolling Stones tribute Dead Flowers. Not to be confused with the former Altoona-based Stones tribute fronted by Skip Stone, this Dead Flowers is from Johnstown and fronted by Adam Mundok. This group was solid as they celebrated the Stones with their hits such as “Midnight Rambler,” “Honky Tonk Women,” “Jumping Jack Flash” and more. A highlight toward the end of their set was Adam Mundok’s father, a former member of Johnstown ‘70s rockers Kindred Spirit, joining the group on “Under My Thumb.”

Performing outside of V.O.M.A., Rolling Stones tribute Dead Flowers.

Again,Dead Flowers.

Adam Mundok’s father (left) joins in the proceedings.

Once again, Dead Flowers.

I ended the first night of Ethnic Fest with the Johnstown Classic Rockers, who packed the dance floor at Ace’s Lounge with hits from the ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s. As I arrived, the group was performing a song I seldom hear bands do, The Equals’ ‘60s chestnut “Baby Come Back.” The Rockers continued with the Supremes’ “You Can’t Hurry Love,” The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” Blondie’s “One Way or Another” and the B52s’ “Love Shack.”

Tom Pavic, Melissa Nagle and Ron Piljay of the Johnstown Classic Rockers.

Norm Chynoweth of the Johnstown Classic Rockers.

The first night of Cambria City Ethnic Festival was in the books, and was enjoyable. I would be back in a few hours for round two…

THE SUNFLOWER SPECTACLE @ THE WINDER HOTEL, WINDBER 9/3/10

After activity at the Cambria City Ethnic Festival wrapped up around midnight, I was in search of other live musical activity in the Johnstown vicinity. Since there wasn’t any at this late hour (there was very little going on to begin with, and what little that was happening was over by midnight), I headed to Windber to cap the night. Since I had never checked out a show there, the Windber Hotel was my destination. Since the guy on the “Homegrown Rocker” keeps saying that The Windber Hotel is where “good people drink good beer”…and with The Sunflower Spectacle playing there this night, I decided to put this claim to the test.

The Sunflower Spectacle provided a different kind of musical spectacle at The Windber Hotel. During their last set of the night, singer/guitarist Chris Kupchella, guitarists Derek Gresh and Alan Horvath, drummer Kevin Horvath and fill-in bassist Katie Rhodes (subbing for Justin Gyurik) demonstrated an original rock sound that combined elements of ‘60s pop, psychedelia and experimentation with modern progressive and alternative flavors. The Sunflower Spectacle provided surprises at every turn; incorporating unexpected instrumentation, odd chord and tempo changes, surprise side journeys, intensifying arrangements and more. Among the songs I recognized were one from their CD, “The Cambria County Fair Ship Song,” and an uncanny surprise rendition of Elvis Presley’s “I Can’t Help Falling In Love.” The Sunflower Spectacle was unpredictable and threw caution to the wind, and their eccentric musical approach won approval from the decent-sized crowd gathered at the Windber Hotel.

And by the way, as the “Homegrown Rocker” dude says, good people were drinking good beer. I know I was, from the Windber Hotel’s healthy microbrew stock!

The Sunflower Spectacle.

Chris Kupchella of The Sunflower Spectacle.

Again, The Sunflower Spectacle.

Again, Chris Kupchella.

Alan Horvath and Katie Rhodes of The Sunflower Spectacle.

(Recap continued in Part 2)

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: