· The Final Cut
THANKSGIVING WEEKEND RECAP 11/29/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Feb 17, 2005 

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND RECAP 11/29/04

MATT WAGNER BAND @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 11/24/04

I had seen Matt Wagner’s solo acoustic show several times since first discovering this performer last winter. I had not yet seen Matt with his full band, so I decided to ring in my Thanksgiving holiday by taking my first look at them at Pellegrine’s.

I know that Thanksgiving Eve has been touted as the year’s busiest party night next to New Year’s Eve; it’s supposed to be when the most people are out, barhopping and partying. For the past few years, I was misled to think that was mostly a myth. At least at Pellegrine’s the past two years, the venue never got extremely packed on Thanksgiving Eve, leading me to think that perhaps with everybody else running live entertainment this night, that the available crowd of pre-holiday revelers was being spread thin. So, based on the last two years, plus powerhouses such as Vs. the Earth (4D’s), Hair Force One (City Limits) and Flight 19 (Burgi’s) all performing this night, and the Matt Wagner Band playing only their second show ever, I assumed that Pellegrine’s wouldn’t be overly crowded when I arrived shortly after 10:30.

Boy, was I wrong! Pellegrine’s parking lot was already jam-packed as I arrived, and I had to park a block away! Inside, it was equally packed, looking like a Memorial Day or Labor Day eve crowd with almost all tables filled up. Fortunately for me, the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse had already procured a table in the entrance room, strategically in front of the wide screen TV. Not feeling like linebacking my way through this packed house crowd just yet, I ordered up brew and pizza (my usual Wednesday night supper menu at Pelly’s), and listened to the Matt Wagner Band’s first and second sets from afar.

With the immense crowd largely muting out the music from where I was sitting, I was only able to pick out bits and pieces from the Matt Wagner Band’s first two sets. I was able to pick out performances of some classic rock gems from Steve Miller Band and Van Morrison; also Violent Femmes’ “Blister in the Sun,” Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Under the Bridge,” James’ “Laid,” Fuel’s “Hemorrhage,” Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline,” Pearl Jam’s “Yellow Ledbetter,” the Dave Matthews take on Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower,” and a song I haven’t heard covered before, U2’s “Elevation.”

The crowd just kept piling into Pellegrine’s during the first two sets, until Pellegrine’s closed off the door at 12:30. I also noted the primary demographic of this crowd – mostly younger 20’s. This included a large abundance of squeally post-college-aged women, the types who loudly yell when they see somebody they know. My eardrums got blasted by a few of these ladies in close range during the course of the evening.

Eventually, I decided to play linebacker, and plow my way through the mass of humanity towards the stage for the Matt Wagner Band’s third set. Although humungously packed, I managed to find more standing room up near the stage.

Matt and his band were performing Billy Joel’s “Piano Man” as I approached the stage. Finally seeing the band, I found Matt’s bandmates were a who’s who of young ‘Toona area talent. Electric Blue’s Jimmy Tangeman was playing lead guitar; Sound Driven’s Denny Karl was playing keys; former PnEumatic drummer Lisa “Woo” Fazenbaker was behind the kit, and Mark Cooper was playing bass. The group continued to mix current and classic rock favorites, honoring audience requests along the way. Matt and his bandmates winged it as they went, largely not following a set list at this point, and deciding the next song as they went. Nickelback’s “Figure You Out,” Sublime’s “Santeria,” Stroke 9’s “Little Black Backpack,” Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ’69,” Seven Mary Three’s “Cumbersome,” Jet’s “Cold Hard Bitch,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” and The Darkness’ “I Believe in a Thing Called Love” kept the stagefront mass of humanity deliriously happy and festive to the end of the set. The crowd immediately demanded an encore from the musicians; and after some deliberation, the group settled on U2’s “With or Without You” to end the night.

In all, Matt Wagner and his bandmates did a good job. Instrumentally the group was on target, and Matt stretched beyond his relaxed acoustic persona to belt out harder-hitting vocals on this more upbeat set list. As mentioned, this wasn’t a particularly organized performance; there was down time between songs as the band decided on their next selections. But this Thanksgiving Eve crowd was in the mood to party, and cheered everything Matt and his band were doing this night, regardless of occasional lapses or indecision. And as this group hadn’t played out since summer and had just reconvened for the Thanksgiving holiday, a few slow moments could be expected.

Overall, though, a respectable show – and if they can continue to draw crowds this huge, the Matt Wagner Band will no doubt have more opportunities to hone their stage show further!

The Matt Wagner Band hails in the Thanksgiving holiday at Pellegrine’s.

Matt Wagner Band namesake, Matt Wagner.

Jimmy Tangeman and “Woo” of the Matt Wagner Band.

Lisa “Woo” Fazenbaker of the Matt Wagner Band.

Once again, the Matt Wagner Band.

Joined on stage by a number of ladies, Matt Wagner and his band.

SIDESTEP @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 11/25/04

A budding holiday tradition was broken this year. For the past few years, I had become accustomed to burning off my Thanksgiving turkey calories at Felix & the Hurricanes’ annual Turkey Night Jam at Peter C’s, where the ‘Canes would frequently be joined by various musical guests for a jam night free-for-all. This year, however, lead ‘Cane Felix Kos was out of town on vacation for the days preceding Thanksgiving, and, since he wasn’t sure he would be back in town in time for the Thanksgiving night festivities, he and the Hurricanes deferred Peter C’s Thanksgiving night show to Sidestep. Sidestep decided to try to carry on the Turkey Night Jam tradition by bringing along their own special guest, Billy Price Band keyboard player John Burgh.

I was hoping to arrive early to see Sidestep and their special guest, but a late-served Thanksgiving meal prevented me from doing so. John Burgh had already made his appearance and left by the time I arrived at Peter C’s shortly after midnight. As I arrived, I was surprised at just how empty Peter C’s was this night. Sure, I knew the Hurricanes weren’t playing, but surely I thought more folks would show up, if just as an escape from their families and in-laws!

Sidestep entertained the few who were there with their variety of 70’s era classics, including tunes from Wild Cherry, Joe Walsh, Bob Seger, ZZ Top, the Doors and more. The group funked it up again with James Brown’s “Get Up (Sex Machine),” and Free’s “All Right Now” provided an opportunity for Steve Brullia to pound out a drum solo.

What I saw from Sidestep this night was solid. The group’s execution was tight, and despite the low turnout, their presentation was enthusiastic and upbeat.

It wasn’t quite a Turkey Night Jam; but Sidestep still provided good post-Thanksgiving dinner music, and a satisfactory close to the holiday.

NORMAN NARDINI/MANNISH BOYS @ BAVARIAN HALL, ALTOONA 11/26/04

An anticipated highlight for me this weekend was the long-overdue return of Pittsburgh rock and roll icon Norman Nardini to the ‘Toona. Several things coalesced to bring this show about. After traveling to Pittsburgh to see Norman’s CD release party in September, I knew that Norman was interested in heading back over this way to perform; and he had inquired about available venues in the ‘Toona these days where he might possibly perform. Meanwhile, local rock and rollers the Mannish Boys, who had reconvened last year after a 20-year absence from area stages, were performing on the Pittsburgh bar circuit, and played many of the same rooms as Norman and his band. Along the way, the two groups met and hit it off together. The Mannish Boys had set up a show for families and friends at the Bavarian Hall last year during Thanksgiving weekend, and pulled a decent attendance. They had booked the Bavarian Hall to perform a benefit for a local politician this Thanksgiving weekend; however, they learned that since this politician was running for office in 2005, he could not accept funds for his campaign until 2005, and the benefit idea fell through. But the Mannish Boys decided to keep the date at the Bavarian Hall, and after discussing it with Norman, the Manful Handful and his band were in on the bill. Norman Nardini was coming back to Altoona!

I arrived at the Bavarian Hall, just before the show began, and got to chat with Norman Nardini for a few moments before the Mannish Boys kicked off the show.

It had been well over a year since I first saw the Mannish Boys perform, during their comeback benefit show at Altoona’s Unter Uns Club. Singer Mark “Rusty” Ruston, guitarist Steve “Riff” Mitchell, bassist Kevin Mitchell, drummer Duane Young and backing singer Andrea Shope opened with a set mixing mostly 60’s and 70’s classic rock and blues, plus several original tunes. With Mark providing a soulful, sassy presentation, the Mannish Boys performed tunes from the Beatles, Eddie Cochran, Rolling Stones, Them, Doors and more; along with blues favorites like “Messin’ with the Kid,” “Little Red Rooster,” “Night Time” and more. Original songs the group played included the uptempo blue-collar rock’n’roller “That’s a Fact,” “Fadin’ Back,” “Rendezvous,” “Throws Me a Line” and “White Shirts Down.” The Mannish Boys put on a good show; Mark delivered his voice with ample soul and a touch of sass, and was a personable frontman who communicated well with the audience. Steve, Kevin and Duane were sturdy behind him, with Steve firing off some crisp guitar leads and occasional slide. The Mannish Boys gave the audience a good dose of muscular rock and blues to kick off the evening.

The Mannish Boys (and girl) open the evening at the Bavarian Hall.

Mark “Rusty” Ruston of the Mannish Boys.

Steve “Riff” Mitchell of the Mannish Boys.

Turnout was relatively light for this show, considering it was Norman Nardini’s first appearance on Altoona stages in a decade. Still, there was at least a small crowd present, although the Bavarian’s large dance floor separated the crowd from the stage.

Soon, Norman Nardini and his trusty longtime sidemen – Hollidaysburg native Mark “Whitey” Cooper on drums and Harry Bottoms on bass – took the stage. Since it was his first time at the Bavarian Hall and first show in Altoona in a decade, Norman pulled all the stops to educate this audience on what Norman Nardini Pittsburgh Pennsyltucky rock’n’roll was all about. After a surf-flavored instrumental lead-off, Norman and company did their traditional opener, “Rock and Roll City,” before the Manful Handful introduced himself as “the last true man...the heart and soul...the undisputed, undefeated, uncrowned King of Pittsburgh Rock N Roll…The manful handful, the beauty on duty, the wop wit da bop, the guinea wit da skinny, the Pittsburglar, the high priest from the church of Rock N Roll…Your personal white trash warrior; Norman, Roosevelt, Aloysius, Nicodemus, Amadeus, Valentino, Giovanni, Raphael Nardini!” The party was officially on! Norman introduced a string of original Norman rock and blues numbers, including “White Trash Tragedy,” “High Times,” “You Go Your Way and I’ll Go Mine,” “Down to My Last Million Tears” and “Mr. Right Now.” By this point, the ice had been broken with the Bavarian Hall audience, and a few people were beginning to dance. The Norman songs continued with “That Ain’t Gonna Happen” and “I Seen Too Much,” before Norman and his band broke out a version of Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues.” After “Little Things,” Norman rapped with the audience, sharing the lyrics to one of his newest songs, “Victoria’s Secrets,” and proclaiming yours truly as “the voice of White Trash America.” (I’m proud to hold this honor!) At this point, with some more dancers up on the floor, Norman, Whitey and Harry shifted into a few 60’s favorites, such as Arthur Conley’s “Sweet Soul Music” and the Rolling Stones’ “Honky Tonk Women.” The group then did the original “Burnin’ Up,” before breaking out Norman’s popular remake of Bob Marley’s “Smoke Two Joints.” At this point, Norman invited Rusty and Riff from the Mannish Boys to join him on stage for a few songs. Together, the musicians did the Stones’ “The Last Time” and Fats Domino’s “Reelin’ and Rockin;’” with the dance floor now seeing its heaviest action of the night. The show was not over; the people demanded an encore. Norman, Whitey, Harry, Rusty and Riff responded with one last Rolling Stones tune to finish out the night.

Norman and his band dazzled the Bavarian crowd this night. Norman hit the audience with his two-pronged attack; entertaining them with his frequent raps, sass and savvy, and then following it with fiery, soulful songs and strong, tight musicianship. His band was solid as always, and Norman’s voice and guitar work were passionate and inspired. It was just the dose of Pittsburgh, Pennsyltucky rock’n’roll this town needed! And the added Norman/Mannish Boys hoedown at show’s end was icing on the cake! Very good stuff all around!

Norman Nardini, Whitey Cooper and Harry Bottoms introduce the Bavarian Hall to Pittsburgh Rock’n’Roll, done “in a manful way.”

Norman Nardini.

Norman’s drummer, Hollidaysburg’s Mark “Whitey” Cooper.

The party intensifies as Steve “Riff” Mitchell and Mark “Rusty” Ruston of the Mannish Boys join Norman and his band onstage.

Norman and “Rusty” share a microphone.

”Take our picture!” Three ladies, obviously having fun during Norman Nardini’s performance at the Bavarian Hall.

Steve “Riff” Mitchell of the Mannish Boys jams with Norman Nardini.

Norman Nardini with “Rusty” of the Mannish Boys.

Norman Nardini, flanked by “Riff” and “Rusty” from the Mannish Boys.

Once again, “Riff” and Norman Nardini.

After the show, John Stevens, Mark Ruston, Norman and I got to chat for a bit, and Norman gave us some insight about his approach to music, performance and career. Norman explained that he likes to get crazy and entertain the people, grab them by the souls and pull them in. Then they are more receptive to hearing Norman’s original song library, and are more likely to stick around and become a part of the party.

While a bigger audience would have been better this night, Norman seemed happy with it, and he sold a few CD's. And the crowd that was there, after taking most of the evening to come to life – did. Norman expressed an interest in coming back this way for another show sometime early next year.

As far as I was concerned, any Black Friday that ends with Norman Nardini onstage, ends on a bright note. I had a blast!

SOMETHING FLUID/DROPOUT HIGH @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 11/27/04

It was a holiday weekend, and after a day of hardcore James Bond movie watching (Spike TV was running their Thanksgiving weekend “Bond-a-Thon”), I was up for a party. So I headed to nearby City Limits to check in with the double-bill of Something Fluid and Dropout High.

I arrived a bit late in Dropout High’s set (blame it on Sean Connery and Diamonds Are Forever), and only got to witness one full song at the end of their set. From what I saw, Dropout High does a melody-based brand of punk-meets-pop, and seems to be pretty solid at what they do. Obviously, I’ll have to make a point of catching a full set from this band very soon so I can get a more complete idea what they are about.

City Limits had a few people in the house, but was by no means packed. I was hopeful that more people would arrive, and give Something Fluid a bigger crowd to fire up.

Something Fluid – with surrogate bassist Phil from Creamsicle again in the roster this night – hit the stage running and fired into their set of uptempo favorites. Frontlady Gretchen, guitarists Chris and C.J., bassist Phil and drummer Don launched into high energy tunage from Limp Bizkit, Good Charlotte, Jet and the Ataris/Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer;” before doing the Bon Jovi double-shot of “Living On a Prayer” and “You Give Love a Bad Name.” Phil then provided the high-pitched lead voice on The Outfield’s “Your Love.” After Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock’n’Roll,” Something Fluid commenced a medley that strung together songs from Sublime, Bryan Adams, Guns’N’Roses (as decided upon by audience polling during the medley), AC/DC, and a hyperspeed version of the Beastie Boys’ “Fight For Your Right (to Party).” The group kept the dance floor busy with Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar On Me” and Metallica’s “Enter Sandman,” before closing their first set with the Chris-fronted version of Limp Bizkit’s “Breakstuff.”

Although I was impressed with Something Fluid’s first City Limits show the previous month; I thought this one, despite the slightly smaller crowd, was even stronger. This band was clearly on their game this night, providing constant action and crisp execution. Instrumentally, Something Fluid set the energized pace early and never let up, and the group smoothly proceeded through their setlist with airtight precision. On the vocal end, Gretchen’s voice was in good form, and she exuded confidence and control in her presentation. Handling the rap-geared vocals, Chris brought the sass, rhymes and rage in sharp, confident fashion. It was easy to tell that the chemistry was working for Something Fluid this night – they were dead on!

The second and final set of the night brought equal amounts of musical action and excitement. Chris barked out the voice on the set-opening treatment of Rage’s “Killing In the Name,” and Something Fluid’s party was on once again! Rapidfire tunes from Twisted Sister, Lit, House Of Pain, Violent Femmes, Blink 182, Papa Roach and Blur quickly brought fans back on the dance floor and kept them there. Gretchen demonstrated her vocal range on Evanescence’s “Bring Me to Life,” before the group continued with tunes from the Black Crowes, Poison, Puddle Of Mudd, Godsmack, Wheatus, Harvey Danger, more Rage, and for the finale, Tom Petty’s “American Girl” into Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama.” Late night attrition reduced the size of the audience during the latter stages of this set; enough so that there wasn’t enough crowd or noise at set’s end to warrant an encore.

The folks I spoke with after the show had nothing but accolades and praise for Something Fluid. This night proved beyond any doubt that this band is not only back, but better than ever! From the first song onward, Gretchen and Something Fluid delivered maximum musical bang for the buck, and a definite rock party atmosphere. Here’s hoping that the less-than-ideal turnout doesn’t deter Something Fluid from future City Limits sojourns; methinks it is just a matter of persistence and repeat appearances, and this group could be a major draw in the ‘Toona once again.

The City Limits dance floor crowd gets down with Gretchen of Something Fluid during “Blister In the Sun.”

Surrogate bassist Phil of Something Fluid.

Chris of Something Fluid.

Don of Something Fluid.

C.J., Phil and Gretchen of Something Fluid.

Gretchen of Something Fluid.

Once again, Something Fluid.

Again, Chris of Something Fluid.

C.J. of Something Fluid.

Something Fluid, bringing the party to the fans.

Gretchen of Something Fluid rallies the City Limits fans.

Once again, Something Fluid.

GREEN EGGS @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 11/28/04

My Thanksgiving holiday weekend drew to a close at Pellegrine’s, during Green Eggs’ latest party. I was hopeful as I arrived that this night wouldn’t end the same way as my last Green Eggs Pelly’s party, when the now infamous “nose-blowing drunken sow” used my notepad as her personal snot rag. I’m still getting over the emotional trauma induced by that incident!

Anyway, Green Eggs was in the midst of one of their hip-hop medleys in the waning moments of their second set. No nose-blowing slobs were in the audience this night; but as Green Eggs’ final set unfolded, I would learn that there were nonetheless other freaks in the house!

As expected, Green Eggs wove a wide range of favorites into a party groove in their final set. Singer/keyboardist Brian Nicarry, bassist/singer Brad Nicarry, guitarist/singer Steve Nelson and drummer Doug Black set the groove back into motion with Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer,” before dipping into the 60’s archive for the Foundations’ “Build Me Up Buttercup,” Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl” and Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline.” The group then jumped to the 80’s for Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again” and Guns’N’Roses’ “Paradise City,” during which I noticed this night’s “freak of the week” – a lone, 40-ish looking woman, dancing near the stage with her unique dancing “partner,” Pelly’s video auto racing game! She kept on dancing as Green Eggs broke out some hip-hop tunes, James’ “Laid,” Run DMC’s “Tricky” and “Walk This Way,” the Beastie Boys’ “No Sleep Til Brooklyn,” and Lit’s “My Own Worst Enemy” to close the set. By encore request, Green Eggs continued the party by one more song, Bon Jovi’s “Living On a Prayer.”

The woman dancing with the video racing game was at least an improvement over the nose-blowing hog; and this was clearly a more enjoyable Green Eggs party to cap my weekend.

Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Brian and Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs.

A familiar sight…Green Eggs, in front of happy fans at Pellegrine’s.

Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs serenades Pellegrine’s party people.

Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Doug Black of Green Eggs.

Steve Nelson of Green Eggs.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: