· Show Schedule
· The Forums
· The Final Cut
Paul does something out of character...
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
bassist_25

Post Posted: Tuesday Apr 03, 2012 

...he refers to himself in the third person. But more interestingly, after claiming for years he's not an Ampeg guy, he picks up one of these little guys:

I figured that I needed to own at least one Ampeg product before they put me in the incinerator. I found one of these used at a price that doesn't break the bank; although they're quite affordable brand new too. While not my favorite amp, this is probably the coolest amp I have. It definitely gets the round sound, although its less prominent for me since I use horn-loaded cabs. It's surprisingly loud too for 150 watts at 8 ohms and 200 at 4 (though I've heard reports that it actually puts out closer to 260 watts at 4 ohms...I don't know what THD level that's at). I used it on the gig this Saturday and had to turn down right at the beginning of sound check.

It's all solid-state. A 12AX7 or two in the preamp would have been cool. It doesn't have huge low-end, but it doesn't really have the headroom to produce it; so I guess it's a moot point. However, I seem to notice a difference in the low end response with Class D amps as compared to Class A and Class A/B. Some people claim they can't tell a difference. Maybe it's all in my head. Confused

Anyhoo, just thought that this is a cool little bass amp and wanted to post it up. Who knows, while I'm still spry, maybe I'll try carrying around a real SVT for a few years. Gonna have to start hitting the gym and the steriods for that first, though. Laughing
MOONDOGGY
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Apr 04, 2012 

YES!!! Now, if we could only convert Kent to Ampeg!

All kinetic, no potential.

Back to top »
bassist_25

Post Posted: Wednesday Apr 04, 2012 

MOONDOGGY wrote:
YES!!! Now, if we could only convert Kent to Ampeg!

It's a possibility. Who knew that Kent would start playing passive bolt-ons? I've been on the "Kent needs a tube amp" bandwagon for quite a while. Very Happy
UncleScabby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday Apr 05, 2012 

Paul, this post makes me want to retube my SVT-100. Do you have any good brand recommendations on 6550 or 12ax7 tubes for bass?
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Post Posted: Thursday Apr 05, 2012 

Greg, when it comes to newly manufactured tubes, I really like JJs. In my experience, preamp tubes sound different in different circuits, but the JJs generally have a glassy high-end that I really dig. They lack a little bit of low-end that other tubes may have, but it seems to translate into an overall more punchy attack to my ears. I've never owned a 6550 loaded amp, but I've also liked the JJ 6l6s I've used. While they don't have more output, they seem to have more clean headroom than other power tubes I've used. If you're interested in JJs, Eurotubes is a great distributor. Talk to Bob, and he may be able to set you up with a kit and you'll save some coin that way.

For newly manufactured Russian tubes, I've had good luck with Sovteks. I also like the new Mullards. IME, I'd stay away from Ruby and Groove Tubes. The Groove Tubes aren't bad tubes per se, but I think there are better pre tubes out there. Every Ruby I've ever used has crapped out on me. I don't mean they've went microphonic; I mean they've literally quit working. From what I understand, both Ruby and Groove Tubes are just companies that slap their names on tubes that are made by other people.

I don't have a lot of experience with NOS tubes, but I do have an old Telefunken 12AX7 in the V1 spot of my Mesa. It gave the amp a very tight, full low-end that I haven't been able to get with any tube. I wish it had a little more high-end response, though.
RamRod 1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Sunday Apr 08, 2012 

PAUL SAID:

Quote:
Who knew that Kent would start playing passive bolt-ons?

So Paul, is there anything wrong with "passive Bolt-ons"?

73 Jazz.

74 Precission.

50's or 60's Supro. My 1st gigging bass.

Just jagging ya. That little Ampeg looks like a real sweethart. Congrads!
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Post Posted: Monday Apr 09, 2012 

Them's some sweet basses, Andy! Is the input jack between the volume and tone knob on that Jazz Bass? I always loved the 70s Jazz Bass look, and I wish Fender offered a more affordable block inlay Jazz right now.
RamRod 1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Monday Apr 09, 2012 

PAUL SAID:

Quote:
Is the input jack between the volume and tone knob on that Jazz Bass?

Can't believe you caught that. Yes, that's correct. I don't know why it was that way. I bought the bass in 1976 from a guy in Altoona named Bob Hoffel or something for 100 bucks. He said that the neck and electronics were bad. I adjusted the bridge and tightened the pots to the chrome plate and solved both problems. The chrome plate is the "ground". The bass had been stripped and refinished. I figured that maybe the person took the pots and input jack off and then put them back in the wrong place. I never bothered changing them.

Notice that the thumb rest on the 73 jazz is below the strings and on the 74 Precission it's above the strings. I added the other one back by the bridge.
 Back to top »
mjb
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Apr 10, 2012 

Andy said: input jack off.
 Back to top »
bassist_25

RamRod 1 wrote:
PAUL SAID:

Quote:
Is the input jack between the volume and tone knob on that Jazz Bass?

Can't believe you caught that. Yes, that's correct. I don't know why it was that way. I bought the bass in 1976 from a guy in Altoona named Bob Hoffel or something for 100 bucks. He said that the neck and electronics were bad. I adjusted the bridge and tightened the pots to the chrome plate and solved both problems. The chrome plate is the "ground". The bass had been stripped and refinished. I figured that maybe the person took the pots and input jack off and then put them back in the wrong place. I never bothered changing them.

Notice that the thumb rest on the 73 jazz is below the strings and on the 74 Precission it's above the strings. I added the other one back by the bridge.

Sweet, Andy...now all you need is to chrome it all up with a horse shoe over the front pickup and a vintage Fender ashtray over the bridge.
RamRod 1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And PAUL SAID AGAIN:

Quote:
Sweet, Andy...now all you need is to chrome it all up with a horse shoe over the front pickup and a vintage Fender ashtray over the bridge.

I have the original horse shoe and tailpeice in my parts box. I thought that they just got in the way. I used the pick-up for a thumb rest and the horse shoe thing was a pain. I don't understand what they were really supposed to to do in the 1st place. The tailpeice has that foam rubber thing mounted inside so I removed it to get good sustain. If I need to muffel the strings, I use my palm and it's continuously adjustable.

THEN MIKE SAID:

Quote:
Andy said: input jack off.

That reminds me of my 1st dirty joke.

"Why did the lumber truck stop?.................To let the lumber jack off"!
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: