· The Final Cut
CHRISTMAS WEEKEND RECAP 12/27/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Mar 12, 2005 

CHRISTMAS WEEKEND RECAP 12/27/04

BLIND JONNY DEATH @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 12/22/04

Only two shopping days left until Christmas!

I still had some Christmas shopping left to do, but a pre-Christmas party was on my mind this night, as I headed to Altoona's Hitching Post to check in with Clearfield's dynamic Americana duo, Blind Jonny Death.

A good-sized crowd was populating the Post this Wednesday night as I arrived, ordered up a brew and a dozen of the Post's tasty 'gold' wings and procured a table seat midway back from the stage. Blind Jonny Death had just begun "Land Of The Navajo" from Muleskinner, and this song picked up momentum as it went. Guitarist/singer Marc "L.C. Slim" Prave and upright bass player Ed "Red" McDonald pushed this tune to the limits for a good 8 minutes; driving their instruments more furiously as they proceeded – this acoustic duo was ROCKING! At their crescendo, if they would have pushed this tune any harder, I was expecting a Navajo war party to blast through the Hitching Post doors and attack! The Hitching Post sounded off unanimous approval for this display; definitely I had picked a good night to be here! Slim and Red honored an audience request for some Bob Dylan music, doing “Shelter From the Storm;” followed by the Statler Brothers’ “Flowers On The Wall” and the Traveling Wilburys’ “Rattled” to finish the set.

Several more people arrived at the Hitching Post during intermission, and the mood was festive, whether due to the fireworks Blind Jonny Death just exhibited, or the presence of Christmas party celebrants in the house. John “Strummer Acoustic Show” Stevens arrived, armed with his trusty case of harmonicas; setting the stage for more musical fireworks during the next set.

John took the stage with Slim and Red, and provided harp accompaniment for much of the entire third set. The trio of musicians kicked off with two Johnny Cash favorites, “Ring Of Fire” and “Folsom Prison Blues,” followed by Blind Jonny Death’s own original, “Driver Blues.” The trio continued in a bluesier vein with Big Bill Broonzy’s “Long Tall Mama,” before launching into some early roots rock’n’roll. As the musicians did Carl Perkins’ “Blue Suede Shoes,” a couple started dancing on the small Hitching Post stagefront dance area. The dancers got wilder and bolder as the group shifted into Elvis’ “Little Sister,” with the guy picking the lady up and swinging her through the air. The male populace of the room paid more attention as the lady’s skirt hiked higher and higher with each airborne maneuver, setting the stage for laughter when the lady realized the show she had just delivered, pulled her skirt back down and retreated red-faced back to her seat! The party continued with Traveling Wilburys’ “End Of The Line,” and proceeded with Hank Williams Sr.’s “Move It On Over” and another Johnny Cash number, “Cry Cry Cry.” Blind Jonny Death then picked up the tempo to finish the evening, doing Elvis Presley’s “That’s Alright.” This became another heated jam, with Red taking his upright bass to the floor and Slim stepping atop it to jam, with John seasoning it all with fiery harp. This provided an excellent ending to the show, and the Hitching Post audience again roared its approval at the end of the display.

Out of the three times I had witnessed Blind Jonny Death thus far, this show was definitely the wildest! It was an evening when the atmosphere was festive and charged, and Blind Jonny Death went for broke and left it all onstage! The audience, band (and dancing couple) fed off each other, pushing the stakes higher and higher as the evening proceeded. This was fun, it was rocking, and it was strong! While I’ve enjoyed each Blind Jonny Death performance I’ve seen thus far, this one showed me what can happen when this duo really catches on fire! An excellent start to the Christmas holiday weekend!

Blind Jonny Death, joined by John Stevens on harmonica.

L.C. Slim takes a ride on Red’s upright bass, while John Stevens wails on harp.

JOHN McKNIGHT & FRIENDS @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 12/23/04

After relocating to Atlanta several years ago, former area drummer John McKnight usually makes a visit up to the Altoona area once a year, during the holidays, to touch base with family and friends.

John’s plight last winter has been well documented here on Rockpage; John was suddenly stricken with a severe digestive disorder just prior to Thanksgiving of 2003, a disorder which nearly cost him his life. He underwent several surgeries, and was sidelined for much of 2004 while he recovered; not able to play drums or earn a living in the interim. John eventually healed, and returned behind the drum kit later in the year.

As the holidays approached, John came up with the idea of assembling a show with some of his Altoona area musical friends while he was in town. He approached Claudio at City Limits about doing the show, and the wheels were set in motion. Scheduled for this Thursday night, John McKnight and his musical friends would get together onstage, make music and have a good time.

By the time all was said and done this night, John and a who’s who of Altoona area musiciandom wouldn’t just have a good night onstage; this was a GREAT night of music!

A good-sized crowd was already present at City Limits as I arrived early into the performance. An impressive assortment of talent was already assembled onstage: John McKnight behind the drum kit, Harold Hayford on keys, Randy Rutherford on guitar, Bob Scholl on sax, Pat McGinnis on bass, the father and son duo of Rick and Eric Wertz on guitar and a second drum kit respectively, Jim McConnell on harmonica, and young Tyne Replogle on banjo. This ensemble performed some rural and bluegrass flavored numbers, showcasing Tyne’s excellent banjo abilities. The group then kicked into a blues number, where Tyne demonstrated some powerful and excellent voice! This song also featured sax, keyboard and harmonica solo displays from Bob, Harold and Jim respectively. Tyne then left the stage, Steve Bidoli replaced Eric behind the drum kit, and Jason Ebersole replaced Pat on bass; this adjusted group started into Wilson Pickett’s “Mustang Sally.” John McKnight belted out his trademark soulful growl, and this song became a full-out, funky groove-fest! Rick Wertz then fronted the ensemble on a hot version of ZZ Top’s “Tush,” before another funk jam ensued in the form of Billy Preston’s “Will It Go Round In Circles,” with John stepping from behind his kit to sing, Kevin Siegel replacing him on drums, and another vocalist, Troy Earnest, joining the onstage festivities to help with backing vocals. Again, this jam was hot! The musicians then slowed it down for the Allman Brothers’ “Sweet Melissa,” which took this party to intermission.

The atmosphere was electric, as audience members buzzed and reveled over the musical fireworks they had already witnessed thus far. One negative sentiment was expressed, though – nobody had thought to catch this night on video!

There was another down side to this night; John McKnight’s father, Dewayne McKnight, was hospitalized earlier, and was unable to be at City Limits this night to watch his son and the other musicians play. This added to the disappointment that nobody was recording this show, so Dewayne might view it later.

But more musicians were arriving, including Felix Kos and Bob Watters of the Hurricanes, just back from performing a nearby state prison gig. The music was only going to get hotter…

It didn’t take Felix long to partake in the fun, as he joined John (singing lead), Randy, Harold, Pat, Rick and Eric onstage for the rousing set-opening rendition of the Allman Brothers’ “Whipping Post.” Felix then sang lead on the following tune, “Who’s Fooling Who.” More musical fireworks erupted during “All Along the Watchtower;” first in the form of a drum duel between John and Eric, and then with some scorching guitar lead trade-offs between Felix and Randy. The excitement continued with ZZ Top’s “La Grange,” and John and Felix sharing singing duties on the Allman Brothers’ “Revival.” Hurricane Bob and Kevin then took up positions behind the two drum kits, and the musical assemblage kicked into Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven.” Even though Tyne Replogle and her banjo had left the house for the night, Felix and Randy decided to challenge each other to a round of “Dueling Banjos” at this point; this eventually built up to the night’s finale, as Felix, Randy, Pat, Hurricane Bob, Kevin, and John on vocals stormed the night home with The Outlaws’ “Green Grass and High Tides.”

And so it went…John McKnight’s idea of a jam get-together with friends resulted in a star-studded local music scene gala, with fantastic performances that were simply off the map all night! If there would ever be such a thing as an Altoona music scene “Hall Of Fame,” half of the future inductees were on the stage this night and tearing it up!

Beyond the music itself, the other big highlight this night was the friendship and fellowship shared on the stage. There was a genuine brotherhood and camaraderie happening on this stage; John McKnight and his friends appreciating each other’s company and time making music together. Perhaps strengthened even further by John’s medical ordeal of a year ago, there was a prevailing bond and unity between everybody on the stage, which made this night even more special. More than a few people – myself included – remarked that the atmosphere at City Limits this night felt like Wednesdays at the U.S. Hotel back in the late 80’s and early 90’s. It was that same magical, musical vibe.

Those who witnessed these demonstrations of musicianship were excitedly chattering about this show for days and weeks afterward. Here’s hoping John McKnight’s homecoming jam becomes an annual tradition – and I know if it happens next Christmas season, I WILL have my camcorder in the house to capture it all!

Picking up the action in the John McKnight homecoming jam; Harold Hayford, Bob Scholl, Randy Rutherford, John McKnight, Tyne Replogle, Rick Wertz and Pat McGinnis pool their talents on some bluegrass flavors.

The musical fireworks continue with Jim McConnell, Randy, John, Bob Scholl, Jason Ebersole and Rick Wertz pictured.

Bob Scholl on saxophone.

On keys, Harold Hayford.

Randy Rutherford.

Jason Ebersole and Rick Wertz.

Singing lead, John McKnight.

A couple of fans enjoy the festivities.

Troy Earnest contributes some extra pipes to the mix, during “Will It Go Round In Circles.”

Left to right: Troy Earnest, Bob Scholl, Jason Ebersole and John McKnight.

During the nightcap set, Felix Kos joins the jam, with Jim McConnell on harp, Randy Rutherford, Pat McGinnis and John McKnight pictured.

Father and son jamming together: Rick Wertz on guitar, and son Eric on drums behind him.

A fan gets his picture taken in front of two of this area’s finest, Felix Kos and Randy Rutherford.

Once again, Rick Wertz.

Yakking out some sax, Randy Rutherford.

Felix Kos and Randy Rutherford.

Happy to be home and jamming with his friends, John McKnight.

Once again on sax, Randy Rutherford.

Home for the holidays from Berklee, Eric Wertz.

Pat McGinnis looks on as John McKnight and Eric Wertz duel behind the drum kits.

Dad Rick Wertz looks on as son Eric bangs away.

Now showing his skills on the frets, Randy Rutherford.

Felix Kos and John McKnight hold a little Allman Brothers “Revival.”

Once again, Harold Hayford on keys.

Felix Kos and Rick Wertz blend their guitar talents.

Kevin Siegel helps provide the beats.

Bob Watters and Kevin Siegel lay down the beats.

Providing the bass rumble through much of the night, Pat McGinnis.

Felix Kos and Randy Rutherford, going to town on “Green Grass & High Tides.

Felix, Randy and Pat.

VS. THE EARTH @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 12/25/04

After a relaxing Christmas Eve and Christmas Day spent with friends and family, I was ready for some celebrating on Christmas night. So I headed a few blocks away to City Limits to enjoy some rocking yuletide spirits with Vs. the Earth.

As I arrived early in the group’s second set, City Limits was jam-packed, as Vs. the Earth fans and revelers were out in full force to celebrate. Vs. the Earth delivered their energized mix of rocking original songs, current and classic rock favorites. Singer Adam Marino, guitarist Mike Ritchey, bassist Big Dawg and drummer Shawn Hocherl mixed new and older originals; introducing several new original numbers whose titles I didn’t catch; the crowd-pleasing shout-along “The American Teenage Anthem,” and even the early originals “Could I Ever” and the power ballad “Still.” The group also mixed in material from Green Day, Better Than Ezra, Lit, AC/DC, House Of Pain and more; including a singalong version of The Kinks’ “You Really Got Me,” where the group challenged the Altoona audience to sing along louder than the Baltimore audiences they regularly play to.

It was the expected Vs. the Earth adrenaline rush excitement, amplified by the fun and friendly holiday vibe this night. Santa hats and reindeer antlers could be spotted in the crowd, and Big Dawg himself was sporting a full Santa suit onstage.

Soon the festivities resumed, with Vs. the Earth again mixing catchy high-powered original rockers with select classic and current rock favorites. Opening with the original fave “She Rocks Me,” the group continued with Aerosmith’s “Walk This Way;” and dedicated their own “Friend Zone” to audience member Kim, soon headed off to active military duty in the Persian Gulf. The group dipped into the 80’s archive for AC/DC’s “Back In Black,” Metallica’s “For Whom the Bell Tolls” and Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar On Me,” during which the group welcomed a stampede of ladies onstage. Vs. the Earth then continued in a heavier vein with Disturbed’s “Sickness,” and kept it modern with Velvet Revolver’s “Slither” and Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name.” Vs the Earth celebrated the ladies in the audience with Motley Crue’s “Girls Girls Girls,” performed Godsmack’s “Bad Religion” and ended the night with another original, “Forever Yours.”

This was a go-for-broke good time that contained everything a kickass Vs. the Earth party should have – feverish, over-the-top rock and roll tunage, delivered by a hungry band pushing it to the edge on every song; lots of crazed, happy fans, including a lot of ladies; audience participation; friends; and plain-out FUN! It was just the happy-go-lucky send-off Christmas 2004 needed in these parts, and a show that guaranteed that this holiday ended happily.

Vs. the Earth rocks a packed Yuletide house at City Limits.

Again rocking a Christmas night crowd, Vs. the Earth.

Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth.

Santa Dawg of Vs. the Earth.

Somewhere amidst this sea of women onstage, there is a band…

Flanked by happy ladies onstage, Santa Dawg (WitchChic is that standing next to him?).

Vs. the Earth, immersed in a sea of women…not a bad place to be.

Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

Again, Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

Enjoying the Christmas night festivities, Bill Fischer and the Iceman.

Adam helps Shawn Hocherl keep the beat.

Adam Marino sings to a fan.

Adam Marino sings to a Professor.

Adam Marino sings to Zilly the Soundman.

Towards night’s end, Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth goes airborne.

Adam Marino flashes some tongue for the fans.

Once again, Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

Once again, Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth serenades the fans.

GREEN EGGS @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 12/26/04

More holiday season merriment was on the bill this night, as Green Eggs was in town to do some post-Yuletide celebrating at Pellegrine’s.

As expected, Pellegrine’s was jam packed as I arrived just prior to Green Eggs’ third set. Green Eggs soon had the party going again on the dance floor, as they delivered their smorgasbord of fan favorites to the Pelly’s masses. The set kicked off current with tunes from James, Jet, White Stripes and Puddle Of Mudd; before venturing into rap/hip-hop territory, first with the Beastie Boys’ “Brass Monkey,” and guest Sean Banks stepping onstage to provide the raps on two more numbers. After a Snoop Dogg number, Green Eggs veered into country mode, with guitarist Steve Nelson belting his ‘double-power’ rendition of Garth Brooks’ “Friends In Low Places.” This brief country interlude then shifted back into urban musical terrain with Run D.M.C.’s “Tricky,” and the D.M.C. slant on Aerosmith’s “Walk This Way.” Back to the Beastie Boys for “No Sleep Til Brooklyn,” before Green Eggs shifted into the 80’s for Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock and Roll,” Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again” and Guns’N’Roses’ “Paradise City” to finish out the set. With the packed house not wanting the party to end yet, Green Eggs accommodated them for one more song, Godsmack’s “Whatever.”

Green Eggs did what they do best; keeping the show constantly moving, gearshifting back and forth between musical styles to keep everyone happy, platooning back and forth onstage and shifting lead vocal chores between Steve, keyboardist Brian Nicarry and bassist Brad Nicarry, and never giving the crowd any opportunity to want to sit down. It was another feisty Green Eggs party, and fueled by the festive holiday season vibes in the house, a superior good time.

Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Green Eggs parties down Pellegrine’s on Christmas weekend.

Once again, Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs.

The Green Eggs party continues.

Green Eggs and happy fans at Pellegrine’s.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: