· The Final Cut
Tab/ cord apps
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Dec 26, 2012 

What kinda apps for mobile devices is everyone using? We recently moved and may not get regular internet. I occasionally use tabs when I'm feelin lazy and like to get lyric/ cord sheets for fake book kinda use.
Lowender
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday Dec 27, 2012 

I tried a few for ipad etc such as the ultimate guitar one and achording etc, they were barely ok but i ended up just using the kindle app and goodnotes. using the ipad for transposing etc is a royal pain in the ass. I use solidpdfcreator for my pc, it lets you edit a chord sheet in your favorite word processor, and instead of printing to paper it makes it into a pdf file. ill email that to my kindle email and voila its on the ipad nicely. Goodnotes lets you draw right on the document but i just started using that yesterday and cant really speak to it yet. but i think ill be sticking with what i have. i can type up a set list, put an entire chord progression for a song next to it , send it to my kindle email address and have and entire set on one page. pretty cool in my book , and its free Smile

i use the following

Libre Office - similar to the Microsoft office suite, - minrosoft and minus cost- www.libreoffice.org

Solidpdfcreator
http://download.cnet.com/Solid-PDF-Creator/3000-6675_4-10480635.html

Goodnotes
http://www.goodnotesapp.com/

Amazon Kindle App
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_361458882_3/185-0462828-9965222?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-9&pf_rd_r=18V0DH4T07JG643EV64Q&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1354791482&pf_rd_i=1000301301
 Back to top »
Jasaoke
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Thursday Dec 27, 2012 

Tabs?!?!? Aaaahhhh!?!?!

Whu?? Tabs?? Noooo. Aaaaaagghh, tabs!!!

Seriously, looking for chords online really helped with my ear training. I never found a decent, reliable source for chords. Too many tin-eared fools posting junk online. Just listen.
 Back to top »
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Dec 28, 2012 

Jasaoke wrote:
Tabs?!?!? Aaaahhhh!?!?!

Whu?? Tabs?? Noooo. Aaaaaagghh, tabs!!!

Seriously, looking for chords online really helped with my ear training. I never found a decent, reliable source for chords. Too many tin-eared fools posting junk online. Just listen.

Lol, i hear ya. I spent plenty of time rewinding cassette tapes to learn songs by ear in the past so its not that I can't but sometimes its just too easy to cheat and I'm not ashamed at all to do it. You are correct that alot of it is wrong but it still saves time. Since I can usually pick out the wrong parts quik enough and make corrections it is still a time saver especially if something is a little out of style for me. I like the lyric/ cord stuff cause its nice to throw a little binder together of stuff you don't regularly do to make a "fake book" for requests and stuff.............. Besides why am I defending myself to you when you use computer monitors to guide you through a song ? Lol
Jasaoke
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

hehehe, yeah, we use chord/lyrics. But the vast majority of them are our own arrangements. For more complex songs, I'll sometimes look around, but it always reminds me why I don't. There IS a cutoff point: it seems that the idiots don't really try to chord out difficult songs all that much.

I have found some tabs that actually work. Usually these were first transcribed into traditional notation, then tabbed. But they seem to be the exception, not the rule. And every time I try to use a tab, I feel like a little part of my musicianship dies.

We keep talking about making the kBand app commercially available, but I'm not part of the IT department, so it's out of my hands.
 Back to top »
StumbleFingers
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here are two I'm familiar with:

Ultimate Guitar Tab Pro - Cheap, nice interface, frequent updates, big selection of tabs. The quality of the tabs is all over the map and you can't edit them, so it's kind of a crapshoot.

Agile Partners TabToolkit - Great interface, supports Powertab, Guitar Pro, and PDF uploads. Being able to upload your own tabs is the killer feature here. I tweak tabs a lot, not just to fix errors but to change fingerings or throw in some of my own licks.

My 2 cents on the tab/no tab debate is that tabs are great because they really capture the physical act of playing the guitar. A tab can show a lot of little nuances. For example, it'd be hard to translate Jeff Beck's style into staff. And fingerings are all important on guitar.

Tabs are no substitute for really knowing and understanding music, of course. You can tell in an instant when a player is just mechanically reproducing a tab but doesn't really "get" the music.
Colton
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I've been using GuitarPro since i started....
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: