· The Forums
· The Final Cut
The Musician Death Thread
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » General Discussion
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 13, 2019 

Longtime Altoona area musician Dewayne McKnight passed away on Tuesday, December 10 after a long and valiant battle with cancer. He was 76.

Dewayne performed with a number of bands dating back to the 1960s. Just a few of them included The Exotics and Nu Life during the 1970s, and he was an early member of The Fabulous Flashbacks.

I can't recall for sure exactly when I first met Dewayne; I think it was in the early 1990s during his involvement with the oldies concerts that happened at the Jaffa Shrine and Mansion Park. I had met Dewayne's son, John McKnight, not long before I met Dewayne. What immediately stood out to me about Dewayne was his big, friendly, up-front personality. You knew when he was in the room, and you eagerly listened to what he had to say.

Through the years, I enjoyed Dewayne as a musician and a friend. He played drums, he sang, and I remember seeing him performing in barbershop quartets, doo wop groups, oldies and rock'n'roll situations. It was always great to see him on stage during various jam situations, especially in recent years at the Unter Uns, where I even got to perform alongside him a few times.

I always looked forward to chatting with Dewayne whenever I saw him out and about. He always kept me updated on John's endeavors after John relocated to Atlanta, and I'll remember how proud Dewayne was of John and his accomplishments.

I also liked chatting with Dewayne for a deeper reason: I always learned from him. He often shared his wisdom with me, from music to living life. I remember one chat, probably after I had lost one of my full-time radio gigs, where Dewayne talked about not being afraid to try new opportunities, and he mentioned that he had recently started working at selling used cars. It wasn't too long after that talk that I actually ended up buying a car from him (my previous "Professor-mobile," the Kia Spectra 5, at Park Motors). I thought of that conversation about trying new endeavors when the opportunity to try college teaching was presented to me. Dewayne's wisdom helped guide me in making my decision.

And as he faced his battle with cancer, he was inspirational. He fought the fight, accepting the hand he was dealt, and never felt sorry for himself. He handled the situation with bravery, dignity and grace. He was determined to live each day to its fullest, and to savor what life had to offer him.

I will always have fond thoughts and memories of Dewayne, and am thankful for his friendship, wisdom, inspiration and guidance. He was a strong role model on how to live life to its fullest, and I hope all who were touched by this man will continue to celebrate him as we proceed forward.

Below are two pictures from a special night that Dewayne was involved with. This was during one of Felix & the Hurricanes' weekly Sunday night jams at the Hitching Post in Altoona, from December 18, 2005. Dewayne's son, John McKnight, was back in town for the holidays, and both he and Dewayne - as well as several other musicians - showed up at the Hitching Post to make some music together with Hurricanes Felix, Bobby and Jeff. The house was packed, and everyone was treated to excellent music and happy vibes. These photos show father and son, with Dewayne on drums and John singing, plus Dewayne with Felix Kos. Also on the stage this night was harmonica man Barney Sledge, Redawg Solinski, Brian Cupples, Rick Ramsey, Lauren Johnson and more.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Hannibal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Friday Dec 13, 2019 

Well said, JP. Many of us have fond memories of chats and events with Dewayne. He will be missed.
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Jan 06, 2020 

Jack Sheldon, Schoolhouse Rock! singer, jazz musician, & musical director R.I.P.

Veteran jazz musician Jack Sheldon has died at the age of 88. Hailing from Jacksonville, Florida, he served as the musical director of The Merv Griffin Show for 18 years, as well as voiced several classic episodes of Schoolhouse Rock!, including “Conjunction Junction” and “I’m Just a Bill”.

Sheldon passed away of undisclosed causes on December 27th, according to his biographer and documentarian, Doug McIntyre.

After moving to Los Angeles, Sheldon became a key figure in the West Coast jazz movement of the 1950s. He eventually found his way onto the The Merv Griffin Show, where he played trumpet, sang, and often participated in sketches with the show’s host.

Beginning in 1973, Sheldon appeared on the educational cartoon Schoolhouse Rock!, voicing episodes including “Conjunction Junction”, “Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla”, “The Tale of Mr. Morton”, and “I’m Just a Bill”. He later parodied his Schoolhouse Rock! songs on episodes of The Simpsons and Family Guy.

Over the course of his life, Sheldon released 27 albums and collaborated with a bevy of musical luminaries, including Tom Waits, Frank Sinatra, The Monkees, Art Pepper, and Benny Goodman. He also dabbled in acting with roles in the 1960s CBS sitcom Run, Buddy, Run and the police procedural drama Dragnet. Sheldon appeared in the Oscar-nominated documentary film about Chet Baker, Let’s Get Lost, and later received his own feature-length doc in 2008’s Trying to Get Good: the Jazz Odyssey of Jack Sheldon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPoBE-E8VOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFroMQlKiag
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Jan 10, 2020 

Neil Peart, Rush Drummer, R.I.P.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-peart-rush-obituary-936221/
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Jan 21, 2020 

Rhythm ’n’ blues singer Robert Parker, R.I.P.

Rhythm ’n’ blues singer Robert Parker, who scored a top 10 hit in 1966 with the dance tune “Barefootin’,” has died, according to published reports in the New Orleans area. He was 89. His death, in his hometown of Roseland, LA., was confirmed by a nephew, who said Parker passed from natural causes.

“Barefootin’,” which Parker also wrote, was actually the singer’s second record to chart on the Billboard Top Pop Singles chart. Parker made his debut back in 1959 with “All Nite Long (Part 1),” but that single peaked at #113. It appeared on the local Ron label, and Parker didn’t return to the chart for seven years, when “Barefootin’,” on the Nola label, and arranged and produced by Wardell Quezergue, rose to #7 on that chart; it also reached #2 on Billboard’s R&B singles chart. Parker scored twice more, with “The Scratch” in 1966 and “Tip Toe” the following year, but neither came close to repeating his big success.

Robert Parker was born Oct. 14, 1930, in New Orleans and became a saxophonist. He played on the 1949 Professor Longhair hit “Mardi Gras in New Orleans” and went on to work with local artists like Fats Domino, Irma Thomas and Huey “Piano” Smith. He also led the house band at the Tijuana Club in New Orleans for five years, backing artists such as Little Richard and Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown. Another band, Robert Parker and the Royals, served a similar function, backing Big Joe Turner, Solomon Burke and others.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Feb 03, 2020 

Gang of Four Guitarist Andy Gill R.I.P.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/gang-of-four-andy-gill-dead-obituary-946560/
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Feb 11, 2020 

Jazz keyboardist Lyle Mays R.I.P.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/noted-jazz-keyboardist-lyle-mays-dies-at-66/2020/02/11/896ce19e-4c97-11ea-967b-e074d302c7d4_story.html
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Feb 26, 2020 

Mazzy Star Co-Founder David Roback R.I.P.

Producer, multi-instrumentalist and songwriter David Roback, best-known for co-founding Mazzy Star alongside vocalist Hope Sandoval, has died, a rep for the band announced late Tuesday. Roback was 61 years old.

The musician’s cause of death was not disclosed. A brief obituary for Roback reads:
Roback played a leading role in the neo-psychedelic revival of the 1980s and ‘90s, which in turn led to the explosion in the underground music scene, and came to be known as indie rock and alternative music.

Often compared to other experimental producers and musicians such as Brian Wilson, Syd Barrett and Bert Jansch, Roback"who was also the co-founder of the band Opal"was regarded as a highly creative and sensitive guitarist who collaborated with many other artists as producer, songwriter and player.

Roback was also well-known for his encyclopedic intellect, and for his involvement with the arts, design and cinema.

Born in Los Angeles in California in 1958, David Roback lived and worked primarily in California and Europe.

Mazzy Star’s last release was 2018’s Still EP, which in turn followed their 2013 LP Seasons of Your Day, then the band’s first new album in 17 years. The psych-folk/dream-pop pioneers are still best-known for their massive 1993 hit “Fade Into You.”

In addition to his output as part of Mazzy Star and Opal, Roback also performed with Rain Parade and Rainy Day.

Roback made his acting debut in 2004 Olivier Assayas drama Clean, playing himself, and also wrote and produced a number of songs for the film.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Mar 09, 2020 

Jazz great McCoy Tyner R.I.P.

McCoy Tyner, the groundbreaking and influential jazz pianist and the last surviving member of the John Coltrane Quartet, has died. He was 81.

Tyner’s family confirmed the death in a statement released on social media Friday. No more details were provided.

“It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of jazz legend, Alfred “McCoy” Tyner. McCoy was an inspired musician who devoted his life to his art, his family and his spirituality,” the statement read. “McCoy Tyner’s music and legacy will continue to inspire fans and future talent for generations to come.”

Tyner was born in Philadelphia on Dec. 11, 1938. He eventually met Coltrane and joined him for the 1961 album “My Favorite Things,” a major commercial success that highlighted the remarkable chemistry of the John Coltrane Quartet. The album was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1998.

The quartet would go on to release more revered projects, becoming an international renowned group and one of the seminal acts in jazz history.

Tyner eventually found success apart from the John Coltrane Quartet, releasing more than 70 albums. He also won five Grammy Awards.

In 2002, he was named a Jazz Master by the National Endowment for the Arts.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Mar 24, 2020 

Kenny Rogers R.I.P.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/kenny-rogers-tribute-lucille-memoir.html
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Mar 24, 2020 

Manu Dibango R.I.P.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/manu-dibango-michael-jackson-dead-dies-coronavirus-1203543332/
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Mar 25, 2020 

March 25 (UPI) -- Bill Rieflin, a drummer who worked with bands R.E.M., King Crimson and Ministry, has died at the age of 59.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Mar 27, 2020 

Singer Phil Phillips R.I.P.

LAKE CHARLES, La. (KPLC) - Lake Charles native and singer/songwriter Philip “Phil Phillips” Baptiste has died. He was 94.

Phillips died on Saturday, March 14, 2020, according to his family.

He was known as Philip, or Phil, by those who knew him personally and those who knew him throughout the world knew him from the classic hit “Sea of Love."

The song went to No. 2 in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 pop chart and spent 14 weeks in the top 40, as well as reaching No. 1 on the R&B chart. In 1959, it sold over one million copies and was awarded a gold disc.

In addition to his music, Philips was devoted to his wife, Bell, of 60 years, his seven children and grandchildren.

Phillips was inducted into the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame in 2007. One of his last live performances was in April 2005 at the Jazz Fest in New Orleans, Louisiana, a few months before Hurricane Katrina.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Sunday Mar 29, 2020 

Jan Howard, Country Artist, R.I.P.

NASHVILLE " Country singer and songwriter Jan Howard, a beloved member of the Grand Ole Opry for nearly 50 years, died Saturday at age 91.

A news release issued by the Opry says Howard "passed away peacefully" in Gallatin, Tennessee.

Howard officially joined the Opry in 1971, and was the oldest living member of the country music institution.

In a statement, Opry vice president and executive producer Dan Rogers called Howard "a force of nature in country music, at the Opry, and in life."

"We were all so lucky so many nights to hear her voice on stage and to catch up with her backstage. We’re all better for having had her in our lives.”

The news broke while the latest Opry show " featuring Vince Gill, Amy Grant and their daughters " was being broadcast live.

Onstage at the Grand Ole Opry House, Gill said that he and Howard "spent an awful lot of time over on that side of the stage, telling jokes and having a great friendship for over 30 years."

Howard's music career began in the late '50s, singing demo recordings for songs written by her then-husband, songwriting great Harlan Howard. That included the original demo for Patsy Cline's "I Fall to Pieces."

In 1960, she had her own first hit: "The One You Slip Around With." Her biggest solo success came with 1966's "Evil On Your Mind," and the follow-up "Bad Seed." She had quite a number of Country chart hit song.

She'd reach the top of the charts through her collaborations with Bill Anderson in the late '60s and early '70s, including "For Loving You," a No. 1 hit in 1967.

Howard was also an accomplished songwriter, penning hits for Kitty Wells and Connie Smith. But her most powerful composition was also a highly personal one: 1968's “My Son," which was written for her own son, killed in action in Vietnam that same year.

Howard's work with the armed forces and veteran organizations earned her several honors, including the Tennessee Adjutant General’s Distinguished Patriot Medal, and the Medal of Merit from the Commander in Chief of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Sunday Mar 29, 2020 

Joe Diffie, Country Artist, R.I.P.

Joe Diffie, a consistent country-music hitmaker throughout the Nineties, died Sunday due to complications related to COVID-19. His publicist confirmed the death to Rolling Stone. Diffie was 61.

With a traditional-leaning voice that drew comparisons to George Jones, Diffie populated his records with honky-tonk ballads and lighthearted novelty tunes, earning the Oklahoma native five Number One singles in the first half of the Nineties. These began with his debut release, the deeply moving “Home,” followed by “If the Devil Danced (In Empty Pockets),” “Third Rock From the Sun,” “Pickup Man,” and “Bigger Than the Beatles.” In all, Diffie charted 18 Top Ten singles, with the majority reaching the Top Five, including the 1993 radio staples “Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox (If I Die)” and “John Deere Green.”

The singer was famously name-checked, as were a number of his best-known songs, in Jason Aldean’s 2013 single “1994.” “There are plenty of singers in this town, but not many with a range like his,” Diffie’s fellow Opry star Vince Gill told People magazine in 1993.

Joseph Logan Diffie was born in Tulsa and raised in the tiny community of Velma, Oklahoma. In the intervening years, the Diffie family lived in San Antonio, Washington state, and Wisconsin. His father, who held jobs as a teacher, rancher, truck driver, and welder, had musical tastes that ran more toward traditional country, but Diffie learned about harmony singing by working in gospel and bluegrass groups, including, respectively, Higher Purpose and Special Edition. Diffie also played bars, VFW halls, and honky-tonks as a solo act in Duncan, Oklahoma, where he lived with his wife and children while working in a local foundry. He also partnered with his father to run a small recording studio.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Mar 31, 2020 

'I Love Rock 'n' Roll' songwriter Alan Merrill of the band The Arrows dies from coronavirus.

Singer, guitarist, and songwriter Alan Merrill has died in New York at the age of 69 as a result of the coronavirus. Merrill was best known for writing the track "I Love Rock 'n' Roll." Merrill originally wrote and recorded the iconic song while he was a member of the band the Arrows, who released the track in 1975. The song would later become a huge hit for Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, who topped the charts with the tune in 1982.
Merrill was inspired to write the song as a reaction to the Rolling Stones' single "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)." "I'd met Mick Jagger socially a few times, and I knew he was hanging around with Prince Rupert Lowenstein and people like that " jet setters," Merrill told songfacts.com. "I almost felt like 'It's Only Rock and Roll' was an apology to those jet-set princes and princesses that he was hanging around with " the aristocracy, you know. That was my interpretation as a young man: Okay, I love rock and roll."

Merrill also played with Rick Derringer and Meatloaf as well as pursuing a solo career.
The musician's death was announced by his daughter Laura on Facebook.
"The Coronavirus took my father this morning," she wrote on Sunday. "I was given 2 minutes to say my goodbyes before I was rushed out. He seemed peaceful and as I left there was still a glimmer of hope that he wouldn’t be a ticker on the right hand side of the CNN/Fox news screen. I walked 50 blocks home still with hope in my heart. The city that I knew was empty. I felt I was the only person here and perhaps in many ways I was. By the time I got in the doors to my apartment I received the news that he was gone."
Joan Jett has paid tribute to Merrill on Twitter.
"I've just learned of the awful news that Alan Merrill has passed," she wrote. "My thoughts and love go to his family, friends and music community as a whole. I can still remember watching the Arrows on TV in London and being blown away by the song that screamed hit to me. With deep gratitude and sadness, wishing him a safe journey to the other side."
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Apr 02, 2020 

Fountains of Wayne's Adam Schlesinger Dead at 52 From Coronavirus

Adam Schlesinger, co-founder of the New Jersey power-pop group Fountains of Wayne and Emmy- and Grammy-winning songwriter for film, television, and theater, died Wednesday from complications related to COVID-19. He was 52.

Schelsinger’s lawyer, Josh Grier, confirmed the musician’s death to Rolling Stone. Schlesinger was hospitalized in March and tested positive for the coronavirus. At the time, he was placed on a ventilator and heavily sedated.

Schlesinger had one of the most unique and busiest careers in pop. With Fountains of Wayne " a group that blended power-pop delight with indie and alt-rock sensibilities " he released five albums between 1996 and 2011. During the same period, he released six albums with his other group, Ivy, all the while building a portfolio of TV and film music. His first hit came in 1996, but it was a song engineered to sound like it was actually from the Sixties: “That Thing You Do.” The track served as the sole hit for the Wonders, the fake band at the center of Tom Hanks’ film That Thing You Do!; in real life, the track charted well and earned Schlesinger an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Apr 03, 2020 

Bill Withers R.I.P.

Bill Withers, the soul legend who penned timeless songs like “Lean on Me,” “Lovely Day” and “Ain’t No Sunshine,” has died from heart complications according to a statement from his family. He was 81.

“We are devastated by the loss of our beloved, devoted husband and father,” his family said in a statement. “A solitary man with a heart driven to connect to the world at large, with his poetry and music, he spoke honestly to people and connected them to each other,” the family statement read. “As private a life as he lived close to intimate family and friends, his music forever belongs to the world. In this difficult time, we pray his music offers comfort and entertainment as fans hold tight to loved ones.”

Withers grew up in Slab Fork, West Virginia and didn’t begin his professional career until he was in his early thirties. But after just a handful of albums, he walked away from the business and lived a deeply private life. “What few songs I wrote during my brief career, there ain’t a genre that somebody didn’t record them in,” he told Rolling Stone Magazine in 2014. “I’m not a virtuoso, but I was able to write songs that people could identify with. I don’t think I’ve done bad for a guy from Slab Fork, West Virginia.”
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Apr 08, 2020 

John Prine R.I.P.

John Prine, who for five decades wrote rich, plain-spoken songs that chronicled the struggles and stories of everyday working people and changed the face of modern American roots music, died Tuesday at Nashville’s Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He was 73. The cause was complications related to COVID-19, his family confirmed to Rolling Stone.
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Apr 13, 2020 

Jerry Hludzik, guitarist of The Buoys, who scored the early 1970s hit song "Timothy," also a member of 1970s/80s Epic Records recording group Dakota. He passed on April 13, 2020 at age 68.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Apr 15, 2020 

Joni Sledge of vocal group Sister Sledge R.I.P.

Joni Sledge, a founding member of the R&B vocal group Sister Sledge, was found dead Friday in her home in Phoenix, publicist Biff Warren told CNN on Saturday. She was 60 years old.

The Sledge family was shocked by her death as she had not been ill, Warren said. The cause of death was unknown.
The group of sisters were best known for the 1979 dance anthem "We Are Family". Other hits were "He's the Greatest Dancer" and "My Guy."
"Yesterday, numbness fell upon our family. We are saddened to inform you that our dear sister, mother, aunt, niece and cousin, Joni passed away yesterday. Please pray for us as we weep for this loss. We do know that she is now eternally with Our Lord," the band said Saturday in a statement posted on their website and Facebook page.

Joni Sledge was born in 1957 in Philadelphia. She came from a musical family and her parents were entrepreneur/actress Florez Sledge and Broadway performer Edwin Sledge, the official Sister Sledge website says.

The sisters Joni, Debbie and Kim made up Sister Sledge. Kathy, a fourth sister, was another original member but left the ensemble in 1989.

The group became famous in 1979 with the Grammy-nominated "We Are Family", written by Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers of Chic. The song celebrated familial bonds, became a staple at weddings and was adopted as an unofficial anthem by the Pittsburgh Pirates during their 1979 championship season.

"We Are Family" peaked at No. 2 on the Hot 100 and topped the R&B and disco charts. The album of the same name reached No. 3 on the Billboard 200.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Saturday Apr 25, 2020 

Harold Reid, founding member of The Statler Brothers, R.I.P.

http://www.cmt.com/news/1820614/the-statler-brothers-harold-reid-dies-at-80/
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday May 04, 2020 

The Stranglers keyboard player Dave Greenfield has died at the age of 71 after testing positive for Covid-19.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday May 06, 2020 

Millie Small R.I.P.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2020/05/06/millie-small-jamaican-my-boy-lollipop-singer-dies-72/5174883002/
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday May 06, 2020 

Florian Schneider, co-founder and keyboardist of the influential German electronic music group Kraftwerk, has died at the age of 73.

“Kraftwerk co-founder and electro pioneer Ralf Hütter has sent us the very sad news that his friend and companion over many decades. Florian Schneider has passed away from a short cancer disease just a few days after his 73rd birthday,” the band said in a statement.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 16 of 24

Jump to: