· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 2/7/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Apr 15, 2005 

WEEKEND RECAP 2/7/05

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 2/3/05

Putting in another late Thursday night at the workplace, I headed to Peter C’s afterward to catch what I could of the latter stages of this week’s episode of Thursday night Hurricaning.

Upon stepping in the door of Peter C’s, I immediately wished I could have arrived sooner, because several guest musicians were in the house, and a full-fledged party was on! With Dick Kos on stage, the ‘Canes were firing through the bassist Jeff Clapper-fronted rendition of Iron Butterfly’s “Innagaddadavida.” The Hurricanes then started into Marshall Tucker Band’s “an’t You See,” and two more guests joined in onstage – Pittsburgh fret burner Tony Mollick and veteran ‘Toona frontman Steve Oswalt on backing vocals!

At this point, intermission. A good-sized crowd was assembled at Peter C’s, and the musical fireworks thus far had them fired up and eager to see more.

Soon the entertainment was set to continue. Felix, Dick, Tony on vocals, Bob Watters behind the kit and guest bassist Jerry Mosey took the stage and started into the Doobie Brothers’ “Long Train Runnin.’” Steve Oswalt rejoined the festivities onstage for renditions of Sam Cooke’s “Bring It On Home to Me” and Jim Croce’s “Bad Bad Leroy Brown.” Jeff Clapper returned to the stage to play bass while Tony and Steve shared lead vocal duties on Deep Purple’s “Smoke On The Water;” setting up for the big finale – as Felix, Dick, Tony, Jeff and Bob drove the night home with another incredible firestorm edition of The Outlaws’ “Green Grass and High Tides.” Felix, Dick and Tony were pure fire and brimstone on their homestretch guitar storm, underscored by the intense rhythmic foundation laid down by Jeff and Bob. With this lineup of musicians, “Green Grass” was again almost a religious experience – it sure made believers out of the Peter C’s audience, who were singing hosannas and praises in the aftermath!

Once again, the combination of fired-up Hurricanes, fired-up guests and fired-up crowd resulted in another incendiary performance and an over-the-top great time; and proof again that on any given Thursday night, such fireworks are always in the forecast with Felix & the Hurricanes!

Felix & the Hurricanes jam with guests Tony Mollick and Steve Oswalt.

Felix, Tony and Dick.

Harry Bottoms grooves as Felix, Tony and Dick jam.

Guest Tony Mollick belts some voice for the Hurricanes.

Felix & the Hurricanes, with guests Tony Mollick, Steve Oswalt and Jerry Mosey.

Tony Mollick and Steve Oswalt.

It's a Hurricanes guitar line! Felix, Tony, Dick and bassman Jeff Clapper!

The Hurricanes' guitar jam approaches meltdown.

Peter C's Mary and The Iceman celebrate good jams on a Thursday night!

CUCUPLEX @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 2/4/05

This Friday night’s live music exploits found me back at Peter C’s, to check in with the recently reformed CuCuPlex.

I arrived during an intermission shortly after a set from the opening band this night, Opposition. The crowd was disappointingly light, but the night was still young, and hopefully more folks would arrive as the evening progressed.

Soon CuCuPlex – singer Scott Russell, guitarist Phil Wagner, bassist Bill Rickard and drummer Dave Russell – started off their first set with Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Suck My Kiss,” and proceeded to mix current and 90’s rock favorites from Candlebox, Eve 6, Blink 182, Sublime and Toadies. CuCuPlex quickly exhibited instrumental tightness and crispness, abundant energy and enthusiasm; and I was quickly becoming impressed – but also frustrated that the group was delivering this quality performance in front of a largely empty room.

A few more people showed up during the intermission, but Peter C’s was still only lightly populated as CuCuPlex returned to the stage for their second round. The group picked up the overall tempo and dove into the 80’s for much of the set, firing off 80’s favorites from Bon Jovi, Duran Duran, John Mellencamp, Billy Idol, Escape Club, Romantics, Poison, Rick Springfield and more. The group again displayed ample crispness and energy, tightness and bright vocal harmonies. Their pace was airtight; with few, if any, pauses between songs to disrupt the momentum or flow. Although a few more people were populating Peter C’s dance floor, I definitely felt that this band, executing like they were this night, deserved a packed house!

I also took notice of the sound. Rich Johnson had a good, clean, undistorted mix going this night. It was clean and balanced, and not overpowering or oppressive – all the more reason I wished there was more crowd in the house.

Among the crowd that was matriculating into Peter C’s this night were several roving off-duty musicians, and they would add to CuCuPlex’s highlights during the group’s third and final set. Off-duty In drummer Rob Bonsell sat in behind the kit to help launch the set with The Ataris’/Don Henley’s “Boys Of Summer.” By this time, more revelers had arrived and were taking to Peter C’s dance floor, and Peter C’s mascot/C.E.O. Bandit found himself being chased around the premises by adoring females – some guys have all the luck! The party atmosphere was on the rise as CuCuPlex continued in the 80’s vein with Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar On Me,” seguing into Billy Idol’s “Dancing with Myself.” After the group performed Kiss’ “Rock and Roll All Night,” another guest vaulted onstage. Hair Force One frontman Victor Synn teamed with Scott Russell to belt out the voice on the Twisted Sister double-shot of “We’re Not Gonna Take It” and “I Wanna Rock.” As the party continued into the homestretch, CuCuPlex shifted towards a more current direction, tapping the 90’s briefly with Goldfinger’s “Here In Your Bedroom,” and following with Jimmy Eats World’s “The Middle” and Lit’s “My Own Worst Enemy.” The group then shifted a bit heavier and rowdier to finish out the night, doing Tool’s “Stinkfist” and closing the show with the Rage Against the Machine double-shot of “Killing In The Name” and “Bulls On Parade.” Although the small crowd yelled for an encore, the clock was too close to 2 AM, and the night was declared over.

Based on what I witnessed from CuCuPlex, this is a band that deserves to be playing to packed houses in large venues, not just in this neck of the woods, but across the state! This band delivers the party, and sounds great doing it! The group might need to work harder at getting their name out there, via marketing and advertising; but my gut feeling is that CuCuPlex is just one or two big party crowds away from being major Saturday night contenders in this region and perhaps beyond. This band is too strong to be playing to empty rooms like this night for much longer.

CuCuPlex rocks down Peter C's.

Scott Russell of CuCuPlex.

Bill Rickard of CuCuPlex.

CuCuPlex attempts to get the party rolling at Peter C's.

Peter C's Tina cheers on CuCuPlex from the peanut gallery.

Once again, CuCuPlex.

Phil Wagner of CuCuPlex.

Bill Rickard and Phil Wagner of CuCuPlex.

Dave Russell of CuCuPlex.

Bill Rickard of CuCuPlex and guest singer Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Phil Wagner of CuCuPlex.

Hair Force One's Victor Synn fronts CuCuPlex during the final set.

Phil Wagner of CuCuPlex is joined by a fan onstage.

Several Peter C's ladies cheer on Scott Russell and CuCuPlex.

Again, Phil Wagner of CuCuPlex.

Scott Russell of CuCuPlex leads the dance floor crowd in bird-flipping calisthenics during Rage's "Killing In The Name."

Bill Rickard and Scott Russell of CuCuPlex.

Offering their thumbs up and approval to CuCuPlex's party, Bill Fischer and The Iceman.

Jodie K of Peter C's with Scott Russell of CuCuPlex.

Tina, Jodie K and Kelly celebrate CuCuPlex from Peter C's peanut gallery.

MARSHALL BLUE @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 2/5/05

This night, I decided to see the new band in town, and discovered Marshall Blue at Burgi’s Roundhouse.

It was a relatively quiet Saturday night at Burgi’s as I arrived, and there were more people congregated around the central sports bar area than there were seated at the booths and tables to take in the band. Based out of the State College area, Marshall Blue was in the midst of their second set, and doing a mixture of classic rock and blues from the 60’s and 70’s, including songs from the Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kinks, Rolling Stones, Troggs, Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix.

Singer/guitarist Chuck Mason, bassist Chris Jordan and drummer Matt Price weren’t particularly flashy or frilly to look at onstage, but as their set unfolded, I soon realized these guys could play their instruments! Chuck was exhibiting some tight and clean guitar work, and displayed precision on his leads. And 19-year-old drummer Matt – slated to enter Berklee College of Music this coming fall – showed power and finesse behind his kit, even putting on a Bonzo-styled clinic with his drum solo during Led Zeppelin’s “Moby Dick!”

Marshall Blue’s final set of the night was bluesier in flavor, with the trio performing Jimi Hendrix’s “Red House,” Allman Brothers/Blind Willie McTell’s “Statesboro Blues,” Cream’s “Sunshine of Your Love,” Robert Johnson’s “Crossroads,” John Mayall/Willie Dixon’s “All Your Love,” Albert King’s “Born Under a Bad Sign” and Led Zeppelin’s “I Can’t Quit You Babe.” The group also performed versions of Lynyrd Skynyrd/J.J. Cale’s “Call Me The Breeze,” Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Bad Moon Rising” and Zeppelin’s “The Ocean;” all which inspired some isolated pockets of dancing on Burgi’s spacious dance floor.

You could tell by watching Marshall Blue play that they were genuinely into this vein of classic rock and blues, and that quality execution and performance were a priority. Their playing was clean, precise and tight; but likewise focused and intense, as they set out to do the best job they could on every song they played. Their preference for performance over party meant that the dance floor never became busy, but fans of instrumental precision and good, clean playing received an impressive demonstration of both from Marshall Blue. This was a satisfying performance overall, and if you’re into quality classic rock and blues, this is a name to keep an eye out for.

Marshall Blue entertains the Saturday night music fans at Burgi's Roundhouse.

A budding drum force you should watch out for: Matt Price of Marshall Blue.

Again, Marshall Blue.

Matt Price and Chris Jordan of Marshall Blue.

Once again, Marshall Blue.

Chuck Mason of Marshall Blue.

SUPER BOWL/FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 2/6/05

Super Bowl Sunday…My football season officially came to a screaming halt two weeks earlier at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, but I was still game for the game. With the Q94 Calendar Girls handling my “Backyard Rocker” duties this night, I decided to view the final battle for all the marbles between New England and Philadelphia at The Hitching Post. Butch and his staff offered up complimentary eats for the game; and I was surprised as I arrived just prior to kickoff that it wasn’t all that crowded, and I procured a good table seat with the wide screen TV in full view and the bar just a couple of feet away!

By now, everybody knows that the Patriots repeated, despite a gutsy Philadelphia effort that kept the game close. The game itself was pretty good; the much anticipated volley of Super Bowl commercials was disappointing this year. Besides the game action itself, the biggest drama of the evening was when the power went out midway through the second quarter. Fortunately, Butch had a generator on the premises, and within a few minutes had minimal lights, but more importantly, the TELEVISION, back on and operational.

As Felix & the Hurricanes arrived during the game’s second half, it was starting to look as though they would have to break out the acoustics this night, as power wasn’t fully restored throughout the rest of the game. But a few minutes after the game ended, the lights popped fully back on, and the power company finally resolved its problems, and Sunday night Hurricaning would be able to proceed electric and at full strength.

My initial game plan was to head over to Pellegrine’s after the Super Bowl ended, but I decided I was quite content where I was, and wound up remaining for the entire Hurricanes performance. The ‘Canes eased into their first set with a string of their original tunes – “Icy You,” Summertime Love,” “Grow,” “Little Ears” and “Cut That Line,” with the Allman Brothers’ “Southbound” as the first cover selection of the night. Marshall Tucker Band’s “Heard It In a Love Song” triggered the first Hitching Post dance floor action of the night. Midway through the set, guest Red “Reddawg” Solinski – armed with congas – arrived and quickly set up, finalizing my decision to stick around the Hitching Post this night. Aspiring guest singer Lauren flexed her powerful voice on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man,” and the following rendition of Santana’s “Evil Ways” featured Hurricane Bob and Reddawg combining on a Latin-flavored percussion jam. Off-duty CuCuPlex/Banditos/Opposition guitarist Phil Wagner got into the action on the next song, helping with backing vocals on Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven.” The party continued to heat up with selections from Bryan Adams, Ted Nugent, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Grand Funk Railroad, the original rocker “Keep On Rockin’” and Blackfoot’s “Highway Song” to bring the show to halftime.

The Hurricanes celebrated another Super Bowl victory to open their nightcap set, as Lynyrd Skynyrd won Q94’s “Super Bowl of Rock and Roll” earlier that afternoon, and a rendition of “That Smell” served as the victory song. The ‘Canes continued with more classics from Blackfoot, Allman Brothers, Robin Trower, Van Morrison, Santana, ZZ Top, original songs and more. Another guest surfaced onstage in the latter stages of the show, as Shawn Osborn sang lead on Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t You See,” before the ‘Canes closed out the night with Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Ballad Of Curtis Loew” and their ever-popular showstopper rendition of The Outlaws’ “Green Grass and High Tides.”

The football game and the Hurricanes all under one roof made it an enjoyable Super Bowl Sunday for yours truly, even if my team wasn’t playing in the big game. Maybe next year…

With guest singer Lauren belting out some Skynyrd, Felix & the Hurricanes.

Reddawg staffs the drum kit and Shawn Osborn sings lead with Felix & the Hurricanes.

Once again, Shawn Osborn and Reddawg join Felix & the Hurricanes onstage during the Hitching Post's post-Super Bowl festivities.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: