Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » General Discussion
previous topic :: next topic  
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Sunday Nov 28, 2021 

Philip Margo of The Tokens R.I.P.

The Tokens’ Philip Margo has died at 79. Margo’s biggest claim to fame was singing on his band’s version of “The Lion Sleeps Tonight,” which eventually hit #1 on the Billboard charts in 1961. Margo sings the baritone “wimoweh”s to Jay Siegel’s distinctive falsetto.

Margo was born in Brooklyn in 1942 and began singing with Siegel, his younger brother Mitch Margo, and Hank Medress in 1959, emulating the popular doo-wop style of the time. Siegel and Medress had been in a band with Neil Sedaka a few years earlier called the Tokens; after Sedaka left the group, they reformed it with the Margo brothers in 1961. One of the first songs they wrote together, “Tonight I Fell In Love,” became a hit on the charts and they continued to put out songs throughout the ’60s, including nine that landed on the Top 100.

None were as big as “The Lion Sleeps Tonight,” though, which has quite the backstory. The melody was originally written and recorded in 1939 by Zulu singer Solomon Linda, and the resulting “Mbube” became an African hit. Eventually, folk singer Pete Seeger was exposed by to the song by folklorist Alan Lomax, and Seeger recorded a take on it with the Weavers, called “Wimoweh” because Seeger couldn’t understand the words. That was a hit in 1952, but it wasn’t until a decade later when the Tokens hired songwriter George David Weiss to turn the melody into a pop song that it became a chart-topper. Its legacy was solidified when it was covered in the 1994 film The Lion King. The original composer, Solomon Linda, was not properly compensated for writing the original " in 2006, decades after his death, his family won a settlement from the publishers of the song.

The Tokens eventually fractured into two separate groups, one led by the Margos and another by Siegel, and they performed on the oldies circuit. In 1998, Margo’s version of the Tokens performed the national anthem in every major league ballpark that baseball season " the first time that had been done. He also wrote and produced TV movies and sitcom episodes in the ’80s and ’90s, and was Benson star Robert Guillaume’s manager for a while.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Sunday Nov 28, 2021 

Billy Hinsche, Co-Founder of Dino, Desi, & Billy and Longtime Beach Boy R.I.P.

Musician Billy Hinsche, who started his career in the trio Dino, Desi & Billy, and ended it as a longtime touring member of The Beach Boys, has died. He was 70.

Hinsche died on Saturday, Nov. 20, of giant cell carcinoma " the same day his 95-year-old mother Celia died in hospice, according to childhood friend Lucie Arnaz.

"One of the finest humans, friends, storytellers and musicians, on the entire planet just went home to rest. Billy Hinsche had died. 70 years young," Arnaz, who said she and Hinsche were "like brother and sister," wrote on Instagram. "He had never stopped working as a musician. Played with every incarnation of The Beach Boys for decades. And, during COVID, performed a wonderful show each and every week from his home in Henderson, NV called 'Billy's Place.'"

In the '60s, Hinsche formed a rock group with Arnaz's brother Desi Arnaz Jr. and Dino Martin Jr., with whom he released four albums. The group enjoyed hits like "I'm a Fool" and "Not the Lovin' King," and toured as an opening act for bands like The Beach Boys and Paul Revere & The Raiders before headlining their own shows.
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Apr 05, 2022 

Bobby Rydell, Philadelphia-born musician who scored a number of Billboard Top 40 singles in the early to mid 1960s, has passed at age 79.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/05/entertainment/bobby-rydell/index.html

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Apr 26, 2022 

Earth, Wind & Fire saxophonist Andrew Woolfolk R.I.P.

Earth, Wind & Fire’s effervescent ode to the last night of summer, is an enduring jam for all seasons. Part of its alchemy lies in Andrew Woolfolk’s jubilant saxophone.

Woolfolk, a longtime Earth, Wind & Fire member whose sweet signature instrument made songs like “September” impossible not to dance to, has died, group member Philip Bailey announced. Woolfolk was 71.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Apr 27, 2022 

Poppy Family singer-songwriter Susan Jacks dies at 73 in B.C. hospital awaiting 2nd kidney transplant
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday May 19, 2022 

Vangelis, the Greek electronic composer who wrote the unforgettable Academy Award-winning score for the film “Chariots of Fire” and music for dozens of other movies, documentaries and TV series, has died at 79.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2022 

Depeche Mode keyboardist Andy Fletcher R.I.P.

Fletcher, who was 60, was a founding member of the band which found success with their dark electronic sound with hits including Personal Jesus.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2022 

Alan White, Drummer for Yes and John Lennon R.I.P.

Alan White, longtime drummer of progressive-rock titans Yes who also played with John Lennon and George Harrison, died Thursday at his Seattle home after a short illness, his family and the band reported on social media. No further details were immediately announced; he was 72. His family added in a Facebook post: “Throughout his life and six-decade career, Alan was many things to many people: a certified rock star to fans around the world; band mate to a select few, and gentleman and friend to all who met him.”

While best known for his decades-long stint with Yes, White began working with the former Beatles at an early age, appearing with Lennon at his famous “Live Peace in Toronto” concert in 1969 (in a backing band that also included Eric Clapton, Klaus Voorman and Yoko Ono) as well as several of Lennon’s albums and singles at the time, most notably the 1970 song “Instant Karma!,” where his whipcrack drumming is front and center. He also played on Lennon’s “Imagine” album as well as George Harrison’s 1970 masterpiece “All Things Must Pass.”
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Jun 06, 2022 

Alec John Such of Bon Jovi passes at age 70: https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/alec-john-such-bon-jovi-obituary/

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Jun 07, 2022 

Jim Seals Of '70s Soft Rock Duo Seals & Crofts R.I.P.

Musician Jim Seals, who had a string of hits as one half of the popular 1970s soft rock duo Seals & Crofts, has died at the age of 80.

Seals’ death was announced on social media by his cousin Brady Seals, of the country band Little Texas, but no cause of death was listed.

Born in 1942 to an oilman, Seals took to music early, winning a fiddle contest at the age of 10 before learning the sax at 13, according to Variety.

During the late ’50s and ’60s, both Seals and future duet partner Dash Crofts played in the Champs, who became famous for their classic instrumental song “Tequila,” though both joined the band after the recording.

For a time, the two backed up Glen Campbell before officially becoming a duo.

During the mid-’70s, Seals & Crofts ― with Seals singing the leads ― had a string of chart hits still popular on oldies radio and yacht rock playlists, including “Summer Breeze,” “Diamond Girl” and “Get Closer.”
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jul 21, 2022 

William Hart, of The Delfonics, R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Aug 08, 2022 

Olivia Newton-John R.I.P.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/olivia-newton-john-beloved-grease-193444606.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Aug 08, 2022 

Judith Durham, former Seekers lead singer, R.I.P.

https://news.yahoo.com/judith-durham-former-seekers-lead-094348667.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Aug 09, 2022 

Motown Songwriter and Performer Lamont Dozier R.I.P.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/legendary-motown-songwriter-lamont-dozier-134013028.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Sep 13, 2022 

Ramsey Lewis R.I.P.

https://news.yahoo.com/ramsey-lewis-legendary-pianist-composer-160000788.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Sep 20, 2022 

Sonny West R.I.P. on September 8, 2022

Sonny West was a singer, guitarist, and songwriter who recorded his own material but two of his songs, Rave On and Oh, Boy!, were covered by Buddy Holly for hits by him.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Oct 04, 2022 

Loretta Lynn R.I.P.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2022/10/04/loretta-lynn-dead-country-music-legend-coal-miners-daughter-singer/8175642001/
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Oct 19, 2022 

Robert Gordon R.I.P.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/robert-gordon-rockabilly-revivalist-singer-164723353.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Oct 28, 2022 

Jerry Lee Lewis R.I.P.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jerry-lee-lewis-dead-87-164547266.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Nov 09, 2022 

Dan McCafferty, Founding Nazareth Singer, R.I.P.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dan-mccafferty-founding-nazareth-singer-184333657.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Nov 09, 2022 

Jeff Cook, Co-Founder And Instrumentalist With Alabama, R.I.P.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/jeff-cook-co-founder-alabama-dies-at-73/
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Nov 14, 2022 

Keith Levene, the guitarist and original founding member of influential British punk bands the Clash and Public Image Ltd (PiL), R.I.P.

Keith Levene, the guitarist and original founding member of influential British punk bands the Clash and Public Image Ltd (PiL), died on Friday (Nov. 11) at the age of 65. Levene’s partner, Kate Ransford, confirmed the news on Twitter. The Guardian reports Levene had been suffering from liver cancer and passed away at his home in Norfolk.

Levene was born Julian Levene in 1957 in the suburban London town of Muswell Hill and began his career in music at 15 as a roadie for Yes. In 1976, when he was just 18, he co-founded the Clash alongside Mike Jones, Paul Simonon, and drummer Terry Chimes. Levene, along with the Clash’s manager Bernard Rhodes, was instrumental in recruiting vocalist Joe Strummer, who was playing with the 101ers at the time.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Nov 30, 2022 

Christine McVie, Keyboardist and Singer for Fleetwood Mac, R.I.P.

A statement on Facebook said: “On behalf of Christine McVie’s family, it is with a heavy heart we are informing you of Christine’s death.

“She passed away peacefully at hospital this morning, Wednesday, November 30th 2022, following a short illness.

“She was in the company of her family.

“We kindly ask that you respect the family’s privacy at this extremely painful time and we would like everyone to keep Christine in their hearts and remember the life of an incredible human being, and revered musician who was loved universally. RIP Christine McVie.”

The singer, who was married to the band’s bass guitarist John McVie, joined them in 1970 and was the force behind some of their greatest hits as they shook off their origins as a blues band to become one of the biggest acts in the world.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Dec 01, 2022 

Irene Cara R.I.P.

Irene Cara has died. She was 63. No cause of death has been released. A rep for Cara says she died at her home in Florida. She was best known for starring in 'Sparkle' and 'Fame.' Cara also wrote and performed the title song for the '80s hit, 'Flashdance… What a Feeling,' which earned her an Oscar and GRAMMY award.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Dec 19, 2022 

Dino Danelli, drummer of The Rascals, R.I.P.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dino-danelli-the-rascals-dies_n_639cc6f0e4b0e2fa1a447927
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: