· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/2/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Jun 08, 2005 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/2/05:

BLIND JONNY DEATH @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 4/27/05

After finishing up my Wednesday evening workplace duties, I was up for a Hellbound Hayride, so I headed to the Hitching Post to check in with Blind Jonny Death. This would be my first time witnessing this group since the recent addition of drummer T. Orrin Hipps.

Upon arriving at The Hitching Post, I thought I was walking into a Rockpage convention! There were a bunch of Rockpagers in the house, including “IN-bass,” “the herald,” “ToonaRockGuy,” “DMFJ03,” “esa,” and onstage, Blind Jonny Death’s “red” and guest “songsmith” – John Stevens – assisting Blind Jonny Death with some slide guitar and harmonica. Most of the Rockpagers minus “IN-bass” were congregated at a table near the stage, and beckoned me to join them. So I procured a brewski and did so.

Onstage, it was a party! Singer/guitarist Marc “L.C. Slim” Prave, Ed “Red” MacDonald on his upright bass (now adorned with cattle horns, cool!), drummer Tommy keeping the beat on a singular snare drum, and guest Johnny whooped it up with roots and Americana tunes; generating a head of steam with Johnny Cash’s “A Boy Named Sue,” Big Bill Broonzy’s “Long Tall Mama,” “Tell It To Me” from Old Crow Medicine Show and Carl Perkins’ “Blue Suede Shoes” to finish up the set.

The “hellbound hayride” was smoking thus far! These musicians were clearly having a blast onstage, and were feeding off the energy of the hootin’ and hollerin’ Rockpager contingent and other fans in the house. Tommy added a new dimension to the hayride, providing a simple and steady beat to give Blind Jonny Death’s presentation an added mule kick.

Soon the musicians returned to give the rowdy fans some more. Marc introduced a new original song, “The Girl Is Hot,” from the group’s upcoming debut CD, Git Down On The Farm. Then it was back to the Johnny Cash catalog for “Cry Cry Cry,” followed by Elvis Presley’s “Little Sister” and the Man In Black’s “Folsom Prison Blues” to end the night. Err…no. The Rockpagers and other Hitching Post fans would have none o’that, they wanted more, and yee-hawed for an encore. Blind Jonny Death granted their wish, and did three more songs to finish out the night; Waylon Jennings’ “Good Ol’ Boys” (from Dukes Of Hazzard), Old Crow Medicine Show’s “Wagon Wheel” and Elvis’ “That’s Alright,” concluded to a hail of rebel yells from the audience.

Hellbound hayrides don’t get a whole lot better than this! This was roots music, taken on a hellraisin,’ s**tstompin’ journey that had the house howling with delight! Blind Jonny Death had taken yet another step forward with Tommy’s recent addition, and with the new CD coming out shortly, this hayride is just getting started. If you haven’t seen this trio yet – do so! Yee-haw!!!

Since the last time I saw Blind Jonny Death, Red's upright bass has grown horns...cool!

Special guest John "Strummer" Stevens, playing some slide...

Blind Jonny Death, whooping it up at the Hitching Post.

T. Orris Hipps and Ed "El Rojo" MacDonald of Blind Jonny Death.

Once again, Blind Jonny Death's Red with his horny bass.

Tom "T. Orris" Hipps of Blind Jonny Death.

Marc "Lumber City Slim" Prave of Blind Jonny Death.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 4/28/05

A late night at the office led to a late arrival at Peter C’s, with less than an hour of Thursday Hurricaning left to enjoy. But a near hour of Hurricaning was better than no Hurricaning, so I showed up to take in what I could.

It was a slow night attendance-wise, only about 20 people in the house. I soon learned that it was Jeff the bartender’s next to last night at Peter C’s, and his last night of Thursday Hurricaning before he would leave to pursue other career interests.

The Hurricanes were finishing up their next-to-last set, performing their original tunes “Cut That Line” and “Walking a Straight Line,” before sending the show to intermission with the Allman Brothers’ “No One to Run With.”

With an intermission happening this late, the last set would be a short one, but the Hurricanes made it count. They erupted out the gate with The Outlaws’ “Green Grass and High Tides.” Felix, Jeff and Bob took this classic on a particularly interesting ride this night, throwing a false ending into it before Bob decided to keep it going with his drumbeat. The song morphed into a hard blues/funk jam, and then a country-styled jam to finish. After bartender Jeff poured his last Wild Turkey shots for the band, the Hurricanes drew the set to a close with the original “Such A Fool.” The crowd of 20 didn’t want the night to end, and demanded an encore, which the Hurricanes obliged by finishing with Molly Hatchet’s “Flirtin’ with Disaster.”

What I got to see was fun; and although it wasn’t a large crowd, it was an appreciative crowd that helped fuel the Hurricanes’ onstage fireworks, making for an interesting and entertaining hour of live music.

TRhe Hurricanes, heating it up onstage again at Peter C's.

Again, the Hurricanes, yukking it up at Peter C's.

JEFF WALLACK MEMORIAL SHOW @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 4/29/05

My night started out doing a live Harley remote for my employer at Kelce’s Bar in Philipsburg. Although I wanted to stick around after the remote to see the band Wide Open perform, there was a special event happening back down the hill in Altoona that I needed to be a part of.

Jeff Wallack was one of the first musicians I ever wrote about in my first article in Pennsylvania Musician back in June, 1987. He, Steve Oswalt and Rapid Fire were one of those area bands in the mid and late 80’s that impressed me to the point that I wanted to tell folks about them; from local folks who I wanted to encourage to go see them perform, to readers in the rest of the state who had no clue about the happening music scene we had nestled here in the mountains of westcentral PA. Simply put, Jeff Wallack and Rapid Fire are one of the reasons I’m doing what I do now.

Jeff’s sudden passing in early April took everybody by surprise, and some of Jeff’s closest friends in the music community organized this special night at Aldo’s to remember Jeff, his music and friendship. As I arrived at Aldo’s just prior to the start of the show, I was heartened to see the large crowd of people already present, including faces I had not seen in years. It was almost like stepping back into 1989! I saw old Rapid Fire and area music fans who crawled out of the woodwork, musical peers of Jeff’s from back in the day (including three former members of The Edge; Mark Triforo, Tim Strawmire and Phil Steele – it was probably at least a decade since I had last seen any of these guys!), along with members of Jeff’s family and even younger musicians who met Jeff when he used to work for Jarrett’s Music Store in Altoona. This huge audience was a tribute to Jeff and the many people he had touched in his life, through his music and friendship.

The show began with CuCuPlex. It would be my first time seeing CuCuPlex since Dan Martino replaced Scott Russell on lead vocals. Dan, guitarist/singer Phil Wagner, bassist Bill Rickard and drummer Dave Russell performed a short set, including favorites from Audioslave, Jet and Velvet Revolver, Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell,” AC/DC’s “Hell’s Bells” and Twisted Sister’s “I Wanna Rock.” At least based on this mini-set, Dan seems to fit in pretty well with CuCuPlex; his voice was in decent form, and he harmonized with Phil and Bill cleanly at several points. Dan rallied the crowd to have a good time and celebrate Jeff’s life.

Dan Martino and CuCuPlex get the evening started at the Jeff Wallack Memorial Show.

After a short changeover break, Choking Faith took things in a heavier direction. Lead howler Jason Mittan, guitarist Dan Miller, bassist Steve Seymore and drummer Joe Richards started with Pantera’s “Walk,” and continued with Motley Crue’s “Shout At The Devil” and Corrosion Of Conformity’s “Clean My Wounds.” The group then broke out one original song, “Freedom In a Body Bag,” followed by Slayer’s “South Of Heaven.” Suicide Switch frontman Cheeze then joined the group to sing backing vocals on their final song, Skid Row’s “Youth Gone Wild.”

Jason Mittan and Dan Miller of Choking Faith.

Joe Richards of Choking Faith.

Up next was the first Altoona appearance from Pittsburgh’s Gasoline Dion. From Altoona, bassist Dave had known Jeff and was inspired by him. He, singers/guitarists Eric and Tommy and drummer Mike played a blend of punkish originals and punked-up covers. They opened with “She S**ts In Stereo,” and also performed humor-tinged originals such as “Pickle Farm” and “More Than You” (the latter with Steve Seymore joining in on bass). Also included were a Misfits number, and a punkish rendition of Elvis Presley’s “Suspicious Minds.” Gasoline Dion was spontaneous combustion onstage, demonstrating ample velocity, raw drive and touches of humor and chaos. Gasoline Dion’s first Altoona appearance received a good response from the Aldo’s audience, hopefully boding well for future return visits.

Pittsburgh's Gasoline Dion, making their first ever Altoona appearance during the Jeff Wallack Memorial Show.

Tommy of Gasoline Dion.

Again, Gasoline Dion.

Eric AiXeLsyD and Tommy of Gasoline Dion.

The Flame Sky soon took the stage, and provided some of the most powerful moments of the night. Jeff Wallack was always a huge fan of Iron Maiden, and The Flame Sky – guitarist Jason Feathers, guitarist/singer Ed Brinkel, bassist Shawn Shultz and drummer Nate Woods – focused on Maiden early on, opening with the instrumental “Transylvania.” As they segued into “Remember Tomorrow,” Jeff’s former Rapid Fire bandmate, Steve Oswalt, stepped onstage and sang lead, while another peer, The Grimm’s Scott Botteicher, contributed additional guitar. The performances here were intense; it was probably the most fiery display I have ever seen from The Flame Sky so far. Steve fronted The Flame Sky on another Maiden number, “Phantom Of The Opera,” before the group finished their mini set with Ozzy Osbourne’s “Mr. Crowley.” But inspired by this passionate and powerful performance, the Aldo’s audience wanted more of The Flame Sky; so Steve and the group continued with two more, first doing Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song,” and with The Grimm frontman Bob Lee replacing Steve on lead mic, Metallica’s “Fade to Black.”

Steve Oswalt belts out lead voice with The Flame Sky.

The Flame Sky, with Steve Oswalt on vocals.

The Grimm's Scott Botteicher (left) plays alongside Ed Brinkel and Shawn Shuiltz of The Flame Sky.

The Flame Sky and their guests rock the house during the Jeff Wallack Memorial Show.

The Grimm's Bob Lee sings lead during the latter stages of The Flame Sky's set.

The Grimm's Bob Lee with Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Once again, Steve Oswalt with The Flame Sky.

After this intense musical firestorm onstage, the show took a calmer twist as several acoustic performers stepped onto the stage in succession to pay their musical homages to Jeff. First was former Rocaine singer/guitarist Jim Stephanic, who confessed that he could never do Dream Theater as well as Jeff, but paid homage by performing some instrumental Dream Theater on his guitar. Next was the duo of Sean Burgmeier and Silver Sunday’s Buck Dickson, performing a naughty original song Sean and Jeff had been joking around with prior to Jeff’s passing, “Fudgepucker.” Buck was then joined by Choking Faith’s “Jason Mittan” for a voice and guitar rendition of their Silver Sunday original “Cathedral Lights.” Steve Oswalt and Todd Lane then stepped onstage and did three songs; Bad Company’s “Crazy Circles,” an adaptation of Elton John’s “Daniel,” renamed “Jeffrey” in tribute to Jeff, and Queensryche’s “Silent Lucidity,” with another of Jeff’s contemporaries, Troy Earnest, helping out on backing vocals. This set the stage for the next band performance of the night.

Sean Burgmeier and Buck Dickson, performing a song Sean and Jeff Wallack wrote together.

Jason Mittan and Buck Dickson, performing acoustic.

Peter C's Mary cheers on the show during the Jeff Wallack Memorial.

Steve Oswalt and Todd Lane.

Troy Earnest joins in with Steve and Todd.

Troy, brother Jody and Rich Johnson on guitars, John Scarfone on bass and Steve McCulley on drums took the stage to debut a new band project, Farm Show. As the group started into their first song, “Calling All Angels,” they were quickly joined onstage by Rick Ramsey and Dwane Edmiston, singing backing vocals. Farm Show then performed several Alice In Chains numbers; “Angry Chair,” “Would?” and “Man In The Box;” before performing the Iron Maiden double-shot of “Wrathchild” into “Transylvania.” The group then launched into Black Sabbath’s “N.I.B.,” with Ron Dalansky stepping onstage to help with backing vocals, before the climax of the set – a special song written by John Scarfone as a tribute to Jeff, called “Always There.” Here another of Jeff’s contemporaries, Tom Pielmeier, stepped up and played guitar. This was a special part of the evening, as the Aldo’s crowd witnessed these seasoned area stage vets combining forces to remember their friend and contemporary; leaving it all onstage to show their appreciation to Jeff.

Farm Show, making their debut during the Jeff Wallack Memorial Show.

Once again, Farm Show, making their debut.

Troy Earnest of Farm Show.

With Rick Ramsey assisting on backing vocals, Farm Show.

Singing backing vocals with Farm Show, Rick Ramsey.

Jody Earnest and John Scarfone of Farm Show.

Dwane Edmiston chimes in with backing vocals during Farm Show's set.

Again, Troy Earnest of Farm Show.

Again, Farm Show and their guests.

Rick Ramsey plays guitar as Rich Johnson and several fans (including Zerb) look on, during Farm Show's set at the Jeff Wallack Memorial Show.

Fans look on from the side of the stage during Farm Show's set.

Although the Aldo’s audience wanted to hear more from Farm Show, Troy explained that there were other musicians who wanted to get onstage and pay their musical tributes to Jeff; so Farm Show exited the stage and made way for a night-ending jam session, featuring more of Jeff’s former bandmates and contemporaries. Troy, Ron Dalansky, Joe George (in from Pittsburgh), Mike Gambardella, “Hurricane” Bob Watters and others combined forces to end the night with renditions of Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs” and Judas Priest’s “You’ve Got Another Thing Comin’” and “Breaking the Law.”

The only photo I was able to get of the night-ending jam session. The batteries on my camera ran out of juice. Damn!

This was easily one of the most special nights the Altoona music scene had witnessed in a long time, as present and past names of the music scene combined forces to remember a musical friend and brother. This special memorial show was a celebration of Jeff Wallack’s life, friendship and music, and the prevailing mood of the evening was upbeat and appreciative. I even spoke with a few people who had never met Jeff Wallack or seen him perform, who said that after being in this atmosphere, hearing stories about Jeff and witnessing the musical tributes to him, that they wish they had met and known him. It was a fitting, special remembrance to one of the most gifted guitar players ever to grace Altoona area live stages. A big hats off to Rockpage Ron Nearhoof, Troy Earnest and everyone who had a hand in putting this event together!

“GET CLOSER TO THE MUSIC 2ND ANNUAL MUSIC FESTIVAL/WORKSHOP @ BOOKER T. WASHINGTON RECREATION BUILDING, ALTOONA 4/30/05

It was a rainy, dreary Saturday in the Altoona area, and not a good spring day to be outdoors. This worked perfectly, though, for Get Closer To The Music’s second annual Music Festival/Workshop, which took place inside the Booker T. Washington Recreation Building near downtown Altoona.

Creature of habit that I am, I went to the wrong building early on, thinking this workshop was in the same location as last year, the 6th Ward Recreation Building in Altoona. It suddenly dawned on me that although I’ve lived in Altoona all my life, I had no idea where the Booker T. Washington Recreation Building was! After 25 minutes of searching, though, I thought to search on the other side of the Norfolk Southern mainline railroad tracks, and soon found the building.

Early on, it didn’t look good for attendance to this year’s Workshop, and that a repeat of last year’s event – when sunny summer weather in July won out over the inaugural indoor workshop event – was likely. But thanks to additional publicity for this year’s event (including a radio remote broadcast courtesy of my employer), the people began to arrive as the day proceeded.

The Music Festival/Workshop featured various tables and displays, an instrument “petting zoo” where youngsters could handle and play instruments, and live performances throughout the day.

The first of the performers was Altoona-based trashcan playing percussion ensemble, LIDZ. Since the Booker T. Washington Recreation Building was a cavernous gymnasium, LIDZ served as the perfect alarm clock to jangle everybody in the premises awake! Banging and tapping out their rudiments on metal and plastic trashcans and lids, LIDZ sound was amplified by the cavernous gymnasium setting, and without the use of sound gear was easily the loudest performing entity of the day. (Maybe next year the Get Closer To The Music folks can check to see if LIDZ can perform using brushes!)

LIDZ kicks off the day at the Get Closer To The Music Workshop. Inside a gymnasium with cavernous reverb, these guys were loud!

The wax build-up cleansed out of the ear canals of all in the room, Blind Jonny Death set up their gear and performed. The group played several examples of their roots music repertoire, including Big Bill Broonzy’s “Long Tall Mama” and Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues.” Then, noting the children in the room, Marc “L.C. Slim” Prave and Blind Jonny Death led the children and parents in a singalong rendition of “Old McDonald;” probably one of few times you’ll see this song tackled at a Blind Jonny Death performance!

Blind Jonny Death performs at the Get Closer To The Music Workshop.

A few early onlookers take in Blind Jonny Death's set.

Onlookers meet with Blind Jonny Death after their set.

A few more folks continued to arrive as the next band of the day, Fault Line, set up to perform. This was my first time witnessing this young trio, featuring three students from Indiana High School: singer/guitarist Kyle Cameron, bassist Nate Blose and drummer B.J. Rudd. I witnessed as Fault Line kicked off their set with a charged rendition of Jimi Hendrix’s “Voodoo Chile,” followed by their rocking take on Johnny Cash’s “Ring Of Fire.” This young trio was pretty tight and together, and Kyle demonstrated some impressive skill on his fretboard. The group then introduced an original song from their just-completed CD.

Indiana's Fault Line entertains at the Get Closer To The Music Workshop.

Altoona Curve mascot Steamer showed up to entertain the kids during the Get Closer To The Music festivites.

Steamer demonstrates his fast-firing drum delivery.

Steamer also knows ukulele!

Steamer discovers that little kids' heads make good drum practice pads.

Although I wanted to stick around to see more, my radio remote had ended and I had to return some equipment to the station for another remote later in the day. So I exited the Booker T. Washington building temporarily, but returned a half-hour later.

Although LIDZ was scheduled to perform a second set, they were nowhere to be found, so Midnight Flyer began setting up their gear as more parents and children arrived at the Workshop. It was starting to turn into a nice turnout for the day, and it was cool to see parents and kids looking at the displays, and young children discovering and trying their hands at various instruments. The drums and congas seemed to get the most attention; perhaps sowing the seeds for a bunch of new young drummers to populate the area music scene in coming years!

People check out the tables and instruments at the Get Closer To The Music Workshop.

Drums and percussion instruments were the biggest hit among the youngsters at the Get Closer To The Music Workshop.

More folks check out the displays during the workshop.

A youngster tries out a guitar during the workshop.

Midnight Flyer soon was ready, and performed a set of acoustic classics from Stephen Stills, the Beatles, Crosby Stills & Nash and more. Singer/guitarist Gabe Pipetti, guitarist Ken Oyler and bassist Harry Walter gave a cordial, relaxed presentation, and demonstrated some gentle, laid-back vocal harmonies along the way.

Midnight Flyer continues the entertainment.

A happy Professor takes in the day at the Get Closer To The Music Workshop.

As kids and parents continued to explore instruments and displays, Felix & the Hurricanes set up to perform next. In their 8-song set, Felix, Jeff and Bob mixed it up between original songs such as "On The Bottom Again" and "Talk About Love;" and a blend of cover material including John Michael Montgomery's "old (The Grundy County Auction Incident)," Los Lonely Boys' "Heaven," the Beatles' "Something," Charlie Daniels' "In America," Elmore James/Stevie Ray Vaughan's "The Sky Is Crying," and Al Green's "Take Me to the River."

This day's soundman, Griff, teaches his son the fine art of running sound for Felix & the Hurricanes.

Felix & the Hurricanes provide the afternoon's final performance.

Although it didn't look promising early on, Get Closer To The Music's second annual Music Festival/Workshop turned into a successful day, as the wet, gray weather chased people indoors to explore the world of music, and enabled a number of youngsters to see and touch instruments up close. The day was an encouraging milestone for Get Closer To The Music, as they continue their efforts to introduce young people to the world of music.

PLUSH @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 4/30/05

Some nights come along where it’s “been there and done that” on area stages, and every band playing around is somebody I’ve recently seen or written about. Then there are other nights where there are a number of bands I haven’t seen and want to see, and I have to decide on one or two shows. This night was one of the latter scenarios. As I often do in such situations, I opted for the band I hadn't seen before, and I proceeded to City Limits to discover the Happy Valley-based rock'n'roll party known as Plush, making their first City Limits appearance.

I arrived just before the start of Plush's second set. Not surprisingly, given a new band, attendance was on the light side, with only a few people taking a chance to see the new band in town. Singer Brian ("of the Clan Plush" in Rockpage vernacular, "B to the Izzay" on their band page) came over and chatted with me, telling me that this upcoming set would be Plush's 80's set.

The rest of Plush – guitarist Moltox (!), bassist C-Dub and drummer T-Money - started off the set with an instrumental, Eric Johnson's "Cliffs Of Dover" - showcasing Moltox's impressive guitar credentials, as he went to town with some amazing and fiery guitar solo work. Brian joined his bandmates onstage as the group launched into Journey's "Any Way You Want It," and mixed 80's favorites from Tommy Tutone, Beastie Boys, Bryan Adams, Metallica, Buggles, Rick Springfield, Don Henley, Poison, Violent Femmes and more. Brian quipped with his bandmates and the small audience between songs, and kept the mood onstage excited but lighthearted. Brian rallied a few fans to help sing along on Bob Dylan/Guns'N'Roses' "Knockin' On Heaven's Door.”

In spite of the low turnout, Plush was impressive thus far, with Brian’s vocals and ad-lib skills in good form, and the band behind him tight and together on their instruments. The group’s presentation was energized, and the vibe happy, even though there weren’t many faces to play to. The group was having fun, and it was infectious for the folks who were there.

Plush’s final set featured more current and recent numbers, kicking off with Rage’s “Bulls On Parade,” and including tunes from Breaking Benjamin, Deadeye Dick, Green Day, Tenacious D, Bush, Tool, Incubus, 3 Doors Down and more. Plush was able to get a few people on the dance floor during this set, and generated a steady party vibe till night’s end.

Plush showed me enough credentials to prove they are a worthy onstage party deserving of more time on Altoona area stages. This is a band who is one good crowd away from making it happen on this town’s stages; hopefully they will have more opportunities to win that one good crowd.

Plush, making their first City Limits appearance.

Guitarist Moltox of Plush - this guy can play Eric Johnson!

Brian of the Clan Plush.

Once again, Plush.

Brian and Moltox of Plush.

C-Dub of Plush.

LOVE STOMP @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/1/05

After putting in a late one at “the office,” I headed to Pellegrine’s to wrap up my weekend, and to check out the first Pelly’s visit by Harrisburg’s Love Stomp. I was eager to see what this band could do with the Pelly’s Sunday night audience; I expected that with Love Stomp’s high-energy show, they would be an automatic Pelly’s dance floor hit.

Not so.

I know from experience that Altoona crowds are often slow to warm up to new bands on the first night; this is a town that will make you earn your following, and it often takes several shows for people to get turned on to new groups. Bands can accelerate this process by making a strong first impression: delivering a kickass show, and by taking the extra effort to welcome and bring the audience into the show, and “break the ice” with the Altoona crowd. As far as first impressions, Love Stomp bobbled the ball this night.

Onstage they were strong during what I saw of their second and final sets. Frontlady Amy, guitarist Willy G, new drummer Muggles and a new bass player (which turned out to be temporary, Milhouse has since rejoined the band) sounded tight and energetic on their blend of current and classic party rock; this night including tunes from Rage, White Stripes, GoGo’s, Blondie, James Gang, a disco medley, Third Eye Blind, Lit and more. And although Pelly’s audience was dead and unresponsive to Love Stomp much of the night, the group did eventually pull a crowd onto the dance floor in the latter stages of their third set. So Love Stomp was bringing the party onstage.

That is, when they were onstage. Love Stomp was off stage nearly as much as they were on this night; eyewitnesses complained to me that their first intermission lasted 50 minutes. Their second intermission lasted some 40 minutes, and I was clearly hearing people complaining about it. One Pelly’s staffer even jokingly inquired if the band had gone home. “Short Sets, Long Breaks, Big Money” may have been a clever album title when Great Train Robbery used it in the 80’s, but it is not a good way to win fans or make a good first impression. Memo to Love Stomp guys and gal: mix in an alarm clock next time!

What also baffled me was Love Stomp’s lack of sociability this night. During the shows I had witnessed from them previously, this band was outgoing during intermissions, meeting and greeting fans and getting to know their audience. Not this night – Love Stomp spent most of their intermission holed up in Pelly’s side stage dressing room, and doing very little to break the ice with what was already a challenging crowd to win over to begin with. Perhaps they were getting on the same page with their new bassist and going over set lists, but with a new audience such as this night, it still would have been wise for them to break the ice and not come off as standoff-ish with the crowd.

Love Stomp has return shows scheduled at Pellegrine’s, so hopefully they’ll work out some of these issues for their future visits. But as first impressions go, Love Stomp didn’t do the best job at endearing themselves to this new audience; hopefully the damage from this night will be minimal.

Amy and Love Stomp, making their Pellegrine's debut.

Amy of Love Stomp.

The temporary new bass player of Love Stomp (I never did get his name); Milhouse is now back with the group.

Again, Amy of Love Stomp.

Love Stomp, trying to rally the Pellegrine's partiers.

Once again, Amy of Love Stomp.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: