· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 7/11/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Aug 31, 2005 

WEEKEND RECAP 7/11/05

TOM YING @ LOMBARDO’S PUB, ALTOONA 7/7/05

I started out this Thursday night by heading to Lombardo’s Pub to check out an artist I had yet to see, acoustic performer Tom Ying.

As it turned out, I had seen Tom perform before, just never as an acoustic artist. Tom “Ying” is actually Tom Yannitelli, these days known as the bass player for local heavy metal rockers Flord. But this night, Tom was wearing an acoustic guitar, and entertaining a small crowd at Lombardo’s with a selection of classic rock favorites.

I actually arrived very late in Tom’s performance (I thought he was playing later than he did), and he was into his last song of the night, the Doors’ “L.A. Woman.” But with my arrival, and since the small audience wanted to hear some more, Tom put his guitar back on and did a five-song encore; doing versions of the Eagles’ “Take It Easy,” Bad Company’s “Shooting Star,” the Pink Floyd double-shot of “Another Brick in the Wall” into “Young Lust,” and Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl” to close out the night.

From what I saw, Tom did a decent job. It was definitely more understated and laid-back than what I’m used to seeing Tom do in Flord; Tom kept the mood friendly and relaxed, and the audience seemed to appreciate his efforts.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 7/7/05

It happened again! Like a message from God; three wild turkeys crossed the road in front of me while I was driving near Coalport delivering Pennsylvania Musician this day…a sure message from the heavens that I was overdue to do some Thursday night Hurricaning! So after Tom Ying’s show finished at Lombardo’s, I knew Peter C’s was where I had to go!

I arrived as the Hurricanes were into their final set of the evening, playing to a mid-sized Peter C’s crowd. Felix, Jeff and Bob were mixing up original songs and classics, venturing from their own “Walking A Straight Line” to Ted Nugent’s “Stranglehold” and Pat Travers’ “Snortin’ Whiskey.” Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven” featured a jovial Felix demonstrating his best Village People “Y.M.C.A.” calisthenics for an audience member. After a country-flavored number, the Hurricanes broke out a rendition of Badfinger’s “No Matter What,” with bassman Jeff on vocals. The group continued with the railroad-themed double-shot of Blackfoot’s “Train Train” into the Doobie Brothers’ “Long Train Runnin.’” After Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Cold Shot” and The Outlaws’ “There Goes Another Love Song,” guest drummer Alan Newberry took over Hurricane Bob’s kit during Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Ballad Of Curtis Loew.” The Hurricanes then finished out the night with Al Green’s “Take Me to the River” and the Stray Cats’ “Rock This Town.”

As expected, Felix & the Hurricanes were on fire as usual, with all three members showing mastery on their instruments. The Peter C’s crowd appeared somewhat quiet and not as rowdy as usual this week; maybe the summer heat was slowing them down. But in all, it was still a fun ending to this Thursday night, and worth following the wild turkey omen from earlier in the day to check out.

Guest drummer Alan Newberry and Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

With Alan Newberry behind the drum kit, Felix & the Hurricanes.

Once again, the Hurricanes with Alan Newberry keeping the beat.

Felix & the Hurricanes.

J.D. STRUM/FAT VINNY & THE WISEGUYS @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 7/8/05

I first met Pittsburgh singer/songwriter/guitarist Jeff Marks several years ago during the Millenium Music Conference in Harrisburg. I had seen him perform in an acoustic duo with Lori Bernish (Voodoo Babies) at the Hard Rock Café in Pittsburgh’s Station Square several summers later, and saw his collaboration with Drew Bentley, J.D. Strum, last year at the Millennium Music Conference. Now, for the first time, Jeff and J.D. Strum were coming to Altoona, to entertain the dinner crowd at Burgi’s Roundhouse. I was there to provide part of the welcoming committee!

I arrived during the intermission between J.D. Strum’s two sets. I ran into Jeff Marks almost immediately, and he told me they were a little late getting started, due to the combination of making a wrong turn while trying to find the venue, and a traffic accident delay. Jeff and Drew had to hastily set up when they arrived, but did manage to get their first set started only a little later than scheduled.

After speaking with Jeff, I procured a booth to watch the group and dine. Burgi’s was crowded at this point, so I had to claim a booth further away from the group, and actually behind where they were set up. But this same booth was just a short distance from Burgi’s main stage area, where Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys were setting up for the nightcap show later on.

As I ordered up some Burgi’s wings and shrimp, J.D. Strum started their second set. Jeff and Drew mixed original songs with favorites, demonstrating smooth vocals and harmonies, plus detailed and intricate guitar skills along the way. Early on, Drew drew attention with his exemplary fretboard skills on the duo’s rendition of Led Zeppelin’s “Hey Hey What Can I Do.” The pair’s blend of vocal and guitar harmonies also shined on versions of Alice In Chains’ “No Excuses,” Bruce Springsteen’s “Born to Run,” Pink Floyd’s “Comfortably Numb” and the Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil.” Jeff and Drew also showcased many of their original songs, including tunes from their debut CD Just Another Story such as “Still Chasing,” “On and On” and “The Drag,” plus newer songs as well. J.D. Strum’s sound was clean and full, with both acoustic guitars and voices blending nicely and being heard clearly. The duo drew appreciative applause along the way, and despite the traffic hassles delaying their arrival, J.D. Strum’s first Altoona sojourn appeared to be a successful one. Hopefully more visits will follow.

J.D. Strum, making their Altoona debut at Burgi’s Roundhouse.

Jeff Marks of J.D. Strum.

Drew Bentley of J.D. Strum.

Once again, J.D. Strum.

I stuck around to check out some of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys’ show, since I already had a good vantage point to take it in from. Not too long after J.D. Strum finished their show, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys launched their set with Elias McDaniel/Eric Clapton’s “Before You ‘Cuse Me.” E. Vincent “Fat Vinny” Kelly on voice and guitar, Randy Ketner on bass and Jeff Van Clief on drums continued with a mix of blues, blues-rock favorites and blues-geared original songs, including several from their new third CD Tight Play. Their first set featured songs from The Band, Johnny Cash, Delbert McClinton, John Lee Hooker, a slow and bluesy read of the Allman Brothers’ “One Way Out,” B.B. King and more; plus original songs such as “Lucky Charm” and “Barroom Floor” off the new album. Along the way, a few folks began to make use of Burgi’s spacious dance floor. When some festive ladies started cutting the rug during the Wiseguys’ set-closing ZZ Top triple-shot of “La Grange,” “Tube Snake Boogie” and “Tush,” Fat Vinny brought his guitar out onto the dance floor and joined them.

I remained for most of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys’ second set. The dancers immediately returned to the dance floor as the group reconvened the music with Hank Sr./George Thorogood’s “Move It On Over.” Bassman Randy took over lead microphone duties during the Rolling Stones’ “Honky Tonk Women.” The group continued to mix classic blues and blues-rock favorites from Willie Dixon, George Thorogood, Marshall Tucker Band, Stevie Ray Vaughan and more. The group welcomed a guest onstage midway through the set, as Rick Wagner took over behind the drum kit for renditions of Chuck Berry/Rolling Stones’ “Little Queenie” and Robert Johnson’s “Sweet Home Chicago.” Fat Vinny again had his dancing shoes on, and was out on the dance floor bumping and grinding with some female dance participants.

Satisfied that Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys had this party well in hand, I left Burgi’s at this point; as there was another band I wanted to check in with this night.

Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

E. Vincent “Fat Vinny” Kelly of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Jamming behind his neck, Fat Vinny.

While Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys play ZZ Top, Phil Reigh dangles his ZZ keychain.

Special guest Rick Wagner, keeping the beat for Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Randy Ketner of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

A young lady does the Bertha Butt boogie with Fat Vinny.

SOUND DRIVEN @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 7/8/05

I had been following the exploits of Altoona jam rockers Sound Driven ever since the band first surfaced as junior high-schoolers and won the amateur band division of Denny Huber’s annual Crazy Fest. I had seen this band do numerous all-ages shows over the years, and build a healthy all-ages fan base in the process.

Tonight, Sound Driven was graduating to the bar circuit, and playing their first-ever over-21 show at Aldo’s.

I arrived early in Sound Driven’s last set of the night, to find a healthy mid-sized crowd in the house to take in the show; including off-duty members of Gin & Juice, CuCuPlex and Chapter 5. Singer/guitarist Brian Pavlic, keyboardist/singer Denny Karl, bassist Dan Condrin and drummer Luke Leiden again strung a varied song list together into lengthy jam interludes; featuring oddball side journeys; time, tempo and chord changes; sudden stops, starts and direction changes. Along the way, Sound Driven would break out selected favorites, including Phish’s “Down with Disease,” Robert Palmer’s “Sneaking Sally Through the Alley,” Bob Dylan’s “Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo)” and more. The group’s own original tune “Antelopium” also made its way into the mix.

A number of fans danced and grooved in the front of the stage, while others watched, curious as to where Sound Driven’s wild, strange trip would take them next. One lady was adding her own stage effects by blowing bubbles onto the stage from the side.

At least based on what I saw, Sound Driven’s inaugural bar gig at Aldo’s was a good time, and the respectable turnout bode well for this band’s future on the over-21 circuit; at least through the summer months, until the various band members depart to attend different schools in the fall.

Denny Karl and Brian Pavlic of Sound Driven.

Dan Condrin of Sound Driven.

Once again, Dan Condrin of Sound Driven.

Luke Leiden of Sound Driven.

Sound Driven, making their over-21 debut at Aldo’s.

Denny Karl of Sound Driven.

Brian Pavlic of Sound Driven.

DEAD RECKONING (REUNION) @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 7/9/05

When I interviewed him on Q94’s “Backyard Rocker” earlier this summer, Drugmoney lead singer Fisher Meehan indicated that he might revert back to his former incarnation as John Fleming, and do a small reunion tour with his early 90’s local band entity, Dead Reckoning. That reunion reached fruition this night at Peter C’s.

First, a refresher course: John Fleming formed Dead Reckoning after leaving the fledgling Half Tempted in 1990. For the next 3-4 years, John and Dead Reckoning dragged area music kicking and screaming into the 1990’s, doing their own agitated brand of punk-driven, angst-ridden original songs, and covering material from new bands the world was just starting to hear about – Nirvana, the Pixies, and more. In retrospect, Dead Reckoning were almost ahead of their time, and I sincerely believe that had this band evolved in Seattle instead of Altoona, we’d be speaking the name John Fleming in the same breath as Kurt Cobain or Eddie Vedder. Towards the mid-90’s, though, Dead Reckoning called it a day, and John Fleming left the area to travel around the country. He would eventually marry a California fiddle queen and form the alternative country rock band Tucker Barton. But the marriage and band came apart in the late 90’s, and John was again on the road and traveling. His sojourn eventually brought him to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, where he assembled the band Drugmoney, and changed his handle to Fisher Meehan. The group signed with an indie label, Hybrid Records, and released their debut CD, Mtn Cty Jnk (“Mountain City Junk,” named after an Altoona junkyard), early last year. The album brought John (Fisher) and Drugmoney critical acclaim, and even landed the group on the pages of Spin Magazine last spring. Fisher opened several tour dates for Collective Soul last summer, and starting in September, Fisher and Drugmoney will start work on their second album, to be produced by Collective Soul’s Ed Roland.

This night, Fisher reverted back to his John Fleming days, and with guitarist Randy Martin and drummer Sean Hershey, resurrected music from Dead Reckoning's earlier tenure on area stages. As I witnessed the trio's latter two sets, I was surprised by how much Dead Reckoning tunage I didn't recognize, as they dug deep into their original song arsenal. The group broke out the songs that time didn't erode from their memories too extensively. Along the way, they also broke out a few select covers from their prior stint, done in their own unique style. They reprised their punkish takes on Pink Floyd's "Wish you Were Here" and Bruce Springsteen's "I'm On Fire," and the agitated John Fleming meltdown renderings of the Pixies' "In Heaven" and Nirvana's "Territorial Pissings."

A good-sized crowd was on hand to celebrate Dead Reckoning's reunion, including a number of folks who populated the dance floor as the night progressed. I found this interesting, as back in their prior stint, a lot of folks didn't "get" Dead Reckoning, and their audiences were marginal at best; and there was minimal, if any, dancing. What a difference a few years and a reunion makes!

After Dead Reckoning completed their final set, the enthusiastic Peter C's crowd demanded an encore. Dead Reckoning returned and did my favorite double-shot tandem from their 1993 Diggityflop EP, "Rancor/Mr. Blonde." The crowd kept shouting for more music, even though John pleaded that the trio didn't know any more songs, or didn't feel comfortable enough with the rest of their song library to attempt doing it. But the crowd persevered, and Dead Reckoning did a second encore, this time doing a second edition of the Pixies' "In Heaven." At this point, the night appeared to be over, but as I was making my way towards the exit, the band suddenly put instruments back on and gave the audience one more, their rendition of "Ghost Rider."

For not playing together in several years, Dead Reckoning did a respectable job. John remained the focal point, his fury and intensity was very much still intact. Sean was solid on the drums; and despite not being quite as active as the other two musicians, Randy held his own fairly well. It was cool to see this line-up get back together, and allow the Peter C's crowd to celebrate the memory of one of the most cutting edge bands this town has ever produced.

John Fleming reverts back to Fisher Meehan to start work on Drugmoney's second CD in September, with Ed Roland of Collective Soul producing. Hopefully by the next time John/Fisher pays the area a visit, a lot more people will know his name, one or the other.

Reuniting onstage, Dead Reckoning.

John Fleming of Dead Reckoning.

Sean Hershey of Dead Reckoning.

Randy Martin of Dead Reckoning.

Again, Dead Reckoning.

John Fleming and Dead Reckoning keep Peter C’s dance floor busy.

Again, John Fleming of Dead Reckoning.

Once again, Dead Reckoning.

Once again, John Fleming of Dead Reckoning.

Drawing some folks onto the dance floor, Dead Reckoning.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES (& FRIENDS) @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 7/10/05

The forecast during the past several days indicated that Hurricane Dennis was churning towards the Gulf Coast.

The forecast during the past several days indicated that a musical hurricane would strike Altoona’s Hitching Post this Sunday night.

Hurricane Dennis gained strength over the warm Gulf waters, and intensified into a Category 4 storm.

Felix & the Hurricanes gathered strength this night with the forecasted presence of musical guests named Mollick, Solinski and others.

Hurricane Dennis caused significant damage to Pensacola, Florida and surrounding areas.

Felix & the Hurricanes and their guests caused significant damage to Sunday night boredom in the Altoona area.

It was already quite the party at the Hitching Post as I arrived after serving my “Backyard Rocker” duties for the evening. As they had told me during the show, my guests T.M.P. (Tony Mollick Project) had already arrived in the house and were ready to jam. Also in the room was John Solinski, 'on vacation' from Key West, just as Hurricane Dennis was paying that part of the world a visit. Other Hurricaniacs, musicians, Rockpagers and other patrons were in the room; and the atmosphere was charged as the Hurricanes heated up the night with classics from Eric Clapton, Jonny Lang, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and a rendition of "Neon Moon" sent out to Hitching Post kitchen lady/matriarch Stephanie to end the set.

Intermission would allow the guests to step up and perform. After a few moments, John Solinski stepped to the stage area with his acoustic guitar, and explained to the crowd his 'vacation' from Key West. John then put on a fun, energized performance, playing favorites from the Eagles, Van Morrison, Guns'N'Roses and Rick Springfield; before launching into a rollicking, freewheeling medley of tunes from Bon Jovi, George Michael, Simon & Garfunkel, Def Leppard, Journey, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Neil Diamond and more. Along the way, John solicited frequent singalongs and callbacks from the audience, treating the Hitching Post crowd to the type of high-energy performances he gives nightly in Key West. The Hitching Post dug it, and the performance nicely charged up the room for the next special guests, T.M.P.

On vacation from Key West, Florida, John Solinski.

Once again, John Solinski.

Here’s an interesting crew: Donna from Houtzdale, Hurricane Bob and missus, and Loren Johnson.

A Rockpager invasion: Esa, DMFJ03, John “facingwest” Solinski and accomplice.

After John left the stage, T.M.P. – singer/guitarist/namesake Tony Mollick, bassist Fuzzy McGirk and drummer David Blake – took up positions on the stage and played a smoking five-song set. Opening with the Stray Cats' "Rumble In Brighton," T.M.P. rocked the house with ZZ Top's "Cheap Sunglasses," the group's early-60's-styled original rocker "Little Stingray," Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Willie the Wimp," and Santana's "Black Magic Woman." T.M.P.'s presentation was strong and robust, led by Tony's rugged, confident vocals and stinging guitarwork. T.M.P. likewise received rowdy applause from the happy Hitching Post crowd, in turn setting the stage for the finale by the host band.

Tony Mollick of T.M.P.

T.M.P. struts and rocks their stuff at the Hitching Post

Again, Tony Mollick of T.M.P.

Fuzzy McGirk of T.M.P.

David Blake of T.M.P.

As Felix & the Hurricanes returned to the stage, they were joined by two guests – Kent Martin on flute, and Steve Todesco, guitarist for Boston-based blues band Mission Of Blues. Both guests added their touches to the Canes' set-opening rendition of the Allman Brothers' "Statesboro Blues." As the group continued with Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Tin Pan Alley," Tony Mollick plugged his guitar back in and joined the onstage festivities. The guests remained onstage and helped the Hurricanes light it up on renditions of "One Way Out," "Rocky Top" and Los Lonely Boys' "Heaven;" with dancers filling the Hitching Post's stagefront dance floor along the way. The party continued with the Canes' own "Keep On Rockin,'" followed by a hot rendition of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Green River," featuring some heated guitar dueling between Felix, Steve and Tony. The Hurricanes and their guests then kicked off Ted Nugent's "Stranglehold;" I don't know if the Nuge ever envisioned flute in the mix when he first conceived this classic, but Kent Martin proved with his fiery woodwind display that flute was a viable addition. Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man" brought new guests and changes onstage, as Ron Novak replaced Tony on guitar, and Tony moved behind the drum kit to replace Hurricane Bob; and guest singer Loren Johnson took over lead mic. The Hurricanes ensemble then closed out the night with Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Look At Little Sister."

The atmosphere remained charged as these musicians jammed out and made it count. Jaw-dropping highlights were in abundance this night, as Hurricanes and guests upped the ante and pushed each other's abilities to the max; to the obvious delight of the attentive Hitching Post audience.

As I've said many times before - on any given night, Felix & the Hurricanes and their guests can lift a show from routine to legendary. This show definitely qualified under the latter label. As Hurricanes shows go, this one was definitely a Category 5 storm of the first degree!

Steve Todesco of Boston-based blues band Mission Of Blues, joining Felix & the Hurricanes onstage.

Piping hot with the Hurricanes, Kent Martin.

Hurricanes Bob and Jeff, along with Steve Todesco.

Showing his skills behind the Hurricanes drum kit, Tony Mollick.

Special guest frontlady Loren Johnson.

Guests Kent Martin and Steve Todesco help the Hurricanes light it up onstage.

Some hot Hurricanes jammin’ is going down!

Tony Mollick, Kent Martin and Steve Todesco jam with Felix & the Hurricanes onstage.

Again, Loren Johnson sings with Felix & the Hurricanes.

Once again keeping the Hurricanes’ beat, Tony Mollick.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: