· The Final Cut
WEEKEND/VACATION RECAP 8/10/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Oct 07, 2005 

WEEKEND/VACATION RECAP 8/10/05

GIN & JUICE (unplugged) @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 8/3/05

This review will be a quickie, since I didn’t have notepad, pen or camera with me when I decided to end this Wednesday night at City Limits. So if you wanted to catch a rare sighting of yours truly “off duty” without these items, this night was it!

Seriously, though, Dustin Burley and Travis Dunn – Gin & Juice unplugged – were entertaining a nice-sized crowd with acoustic jams-a-plenty, including generous dosages of Phish and a few other interesting classics and gems.

The crowd seemed to grow during the time I was there; evidence that Dustin and Travis are continuing to build a good thing here at City Limits on Wednesday evenings.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ WING-OFF, LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 8/4/05

After not playing the Lakemont Park Wing-Off’s last year, Felix & the Hurricanes were back this year. And with the Hurricanes and wings again converging in the same setting, you knew I’d be there!

The bare bones Hurricanes trio – Felix, Jeff and Bob – were already under way as I arrived and obtained my first serving of wings. Seasoned pro at these Wing-Off’s as I am, I sensed that with good summertime weather and the Hurricanes onstage, the lines might get long later on, so I decided to go for my full allotment of wings early. Sure enough, this strategy paid off, as the wing lines grew long and slow as the night proceeded.

The Hurricanes did what they do best, mixing blues, classic rock and original songs. In the early going, the ‘Canes showcased their own creations; performing such original tunes as “I Just Had to Play the Blues,” “Who’s Fooling Who,” “On the Bottom Again,” “Talk About Love,” and “The Lonely One.” Bassman Jeff then fronted the group on Badfinger’s “No Matter What,” before the group played another original tune, “Icy You.” The Hurricanes continued to mix original songs and favorites, interjecting originals such as “The Feeling,” “Such A Fool,” “Black Widow,” “Keep On Rockin’” and “Backyard Rocker” between classics from Wilson Pickett, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eddie Rabbitt, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, ZZ Top and more. The group introduced a new, raucous instrumental, appropriately entitled “Wild Turkey;” and they also broke out a more recent hit, Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven.” The ‘Canes built momentum and drew louder crowd approval as they went along, and brought their marathon first set to intermission with Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Ballad Of Curtis Loew” into “The Saints Go Marching In.”

The Hurricanes had played nonstop for an hour and 45 minutes! And obviously they were enjoying their time onstage and the appreciative Wing-Off audience, because after just a 20-minute break, they were back onstage and ready to deliver their nightcap set as the sun started to set.

The group’s popular and soulful original, “Walking A Straight Line,” kicked off the set; and from there it was rip-roaring classics the rest of the way. Eric Clapton’s “After Midnight,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Gimme Three Steps,” Charlie Daniels Band’s “In America” (which lead ‘Cane Felix sent out to our troops), Molly Hatchet’s “Flirtin’ with Disaster,” and Ted Nugent’s “Stranglehold” quickly rebuilt the momentum, and drew a happy throng of fans in front of the stage to dance and groove along. James Cotton’s “Teeny Weeny Bit,” the Allman Brothers’ “Blue Skys” and Al Green’s “Take Me to the River” continued the party, before a guest, Chuck, joined the group onstage to help sing Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama.” The Hurricanes’ stagefront dance party intensified with “Rocky Top,” decelerating into a playful “Dueling Banjos” interlude before the group closed out the party with Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Look at Little Sister.”

The Hurricanes’ Wing-Off comeback performance was a very successful one, and by the show’s end a large crowd surrounded the Wing-Off stage and picnic table area, marveling at the musical fireworks they were witnessing. And within that crowd were a lot of new and young faces – new Hurricaniac trainees – getting schooled by taskmasters Felix, Jeff and Bob. It was another excellent Hurricanes performance, and this dynamic trio was only getting warmed up…Round two was happening later in the evening…

Felix & the Hurricanes return to the Lakemont Park Wing-Off.

Felix & the Hurricanes get 'em dancing at the Wing-Off.

The Hurricanes dance party continues.

Mr. Felix of the Hurricanes.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Once again, Hurricane Felix.

Felix Kos of the Hurricanes, with special guest singer Chuck.

Having fun behind the kit, Hurricane Bob.

Felix and Jeff of the Hurricanes.

Again, Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 8/4/05

After the Wing-Off, I logged several hours at the workplace, and wasn’t able to escape there until nearly 1 AM. But that was still early enough to catch the homestretch of more Hurricaning down the street at Peter C’s.

The Hurricanes were well into their final set of the night, and were having fun entertaining a light crowd in a steamy venue. Apparently Peter C’s A-C was on the blink, it was hot in there! The Hurricanes kept the music hot as well, taking Al Green’s “Take Me to the River” and stretching it into the “Chicken Dance” and the Green Acres television show theme in their own playful way. Bassist Jeff Clapper then fronted the group’s abridged edition of Iron Butterfly’s “Innagaddadavida,” before the ‘Canes closed the night in uptempo fashion with the Stray Cats’ “Rock This Town.”

This day, the Hurricanes did ‘rock this town’ – not once, but twice!

RHYNE McCORMICK @ U.S. HOTEL, HOLLIDAYSBURG 8/5/05

Although he had been a guest on the “Backyard Rocker” several years ago and had put several CD’s out, I had not yet had the opportunity to see Lewistown singer/songwriter Rhyne McCormick live and in action until this night, when I caught his visit to Hollidaysburg’s U.S. Hotel.

I arrived just as Rhyne was on the last song of his first set, and right in time for intermission (typical JP luck). I touched base with Rhyne briefly, before procuring an open booth in the rear of the U.S. Hotel’s front bar area.

Rhyne soon strapped on his guitar and began his second set. After opening the set with a song from his newly released album, Soul Dust, Rhyne performed Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" and Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl," which prompted a couple to start dancing on the aisle between their booth and the bar. Those folks kept dancing as Rhyne introduced another song from his new album, "5104." The set proceeded with an acoustic rendition of Neil Young's "Rockin' In The Free World," and continued with a mixture of original songs and classics from CCR, Crosby Stills & Nash, Melissa Etheridge and more.

Rhyne's presentation was crisp and upbeat, as he performed his repertoire of original and cover material in his own distinct style and sound. His rhythmic style of strumming and his cheerful singing delivery gave his presentation a crispness and consistency from beginning to end, and his friendly onstage persona loosened up the audience enough to prompt a few to want to dance in the aisle.

Soon, Rhyne returned to perform his nightcap set; opening with Oasis' "Wonderwall," following with Seven Mary Three's "Cumbersome" and a song I hadn't heard in ages, Gin Blossoms' "Allison Road." Rhyne the introduced another tune from Soul Dust, "How Long." Rhyne continued his set with tunes from Rod Stewart, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, original songs and more. Rhyne brought his set to a close with The Who's "Squeeze Box," prompting one middle-aged woman to begin dancing wildly in the aisle. Rhyne had fired this woman and the U.S. Hotel audience enough so that the crowd yelled for one more song at the close of the show. Rhyne strapped his guitar back on, and finished the night with the title song from his Soul Dust album.

Rhyne McCormick gave a confident, inspired, fun performance; in the process winning a number of new fans. Look for his return visit to the U.S. Hotel in December.

Rhyne McCormick, entertaining at the U.S. Hotel.

Again, Rhyne McCormick.

Rhyne McCormick and yours truly.

FALSE ICONS/ENTITY @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 8/5/05

After Rhyne McCormick's show finished at the U.S. Hotel, I headed over to Peter C's to catch the first Altoona appearance of False Icons. False Icons is the brainchild of former Fear Factory/Prong/Killing Joke/Murder Inc. keyboardist John Bechdel, who sings and plays guitar in this current band. Brian Broadt plays keys and electronics, Rod Blankenship plays bass, and Altoona drum veteran Mark Panek staffs the kit.

I missed most of the set from the opening band, Entity, walking into Peter C's just as they were finishing their last song.

After an intermission to change over gear, False Icons were soon ready to go. The group had hoped to use some video equipment to create a full audiovisual performance, but a malfunction forced them to abandon the visuals. But the group's ability to create hard, cyber-edged rock was still intact, and False Icons proceeded to showcase their arsenal of original songs. Sculpted with a myriad of electronic embellishments and samples, plus varied vocal effects, phasing and more, False Icons delivered sharp-edged original songs such as “Decay,” “Tranquilizer,” the faster-paced “The Wheel,” “Emptiness,” their title assault “False Icons,” the slower and groove-geared “Lead The Way,” “Mystified,” the new Floyd/Radiohead-geared “Requiem,” “Transform,” and the two driving finishers, “Defective” and “The Wait.” While the overall sound was consistent with its brash, cyber-metal slant; False Icons displayed variety within this framework and a sense of melody as well. The songs were consistent, but not the same or redundant. On the performance end, these guys knew exactly what they were doing; every part was in place, and their presentation was sharp and focused. I was particularly fascinated to observe how Mark’s drumwork fit into this format, as he patterned his clockwork drumbeats against the digital backdrop crafted by Brian. The two were tight and on the same page, and worked in tandem with Rod’s and John’s riffage to render an effective, terse industrial soundscape.

Although there weren’t many folks present to take in the show, the consensus of those who were there was positive, and False Icons stirred interest and intrigue with their unique cyber-driven sound. With the impending release of their debut CD and an autumn mini-tour opening for Fear Factory vocalist Burton C. Bell’s new project Ascension Of The Watchers, the future appears very promising for False Icons. Hopefully we’ll see this band back in the area soon; their electronic-edged brand of hard modern rock was a breath of fresh air we don’t experience too often in these parts.

John Bechdel of False Icons.

Brian Broadt of False Icons.

Mark Panek of False Icons.

Again, John Bechdel of False Icons.

Again, Mark Panek of False Icons.

Again, Brian Broadt of False Icons.

Once again, John Bechdel of False Icons.

False Icons, making their Peter C's debut.

Once again, False Icons.

Peter C's Mary raises her beer in appreciation of False Icons.

VACATION RECAP 8/10/05

Okay, Rockpagers, you have been bad, arguing about original vs. cover bands, littering flyers, posting smutty photo art and videos on the message board...So I will punish you with one of my ever-popular VACATION RECAPS!

SATURDAY 8/6

Although it has been said that I live a vacation lifestyle with my constant bandwatching duties and life immersed in music and musical events, sometimes I need a “vacation from the vacation.” And this was one of those. So by late Saturday afternoon; the entourage of yours truly, designated wheelman Sparky D’Engineer and the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse were headed to the Outer Banks of North Carolina for 4 days of some well-deserved rest and relaxation.

The first day of our journey had a few interesting highlights, mainly as we approached Winchester, Virginia. In past journeys, Sparky and I had observed this interesting shop complex along Route 522 just north of Winchester. We had noticed the interesting variety of items offered at this complex, including souvenirs, music, and guns. We finally decided this day to stop by the place and have a look around. The complex amounted to a combination souvenir shop, grocery-supply and hunting-fishing store. The middle-aged folks running this joint looked scary, and the general atmosphere of the place reminded me of the movie Deliverance. The older guy in charge retreated to the music room upon our arrival, and began playing music on an organ. We looked around the room and saw a selection of guitars and drums, plus used vinyl record albums, 45’s and CD’s for sale. After taking in the sights of this place, we nervously returned to our vehicle and continued our journey. This place is probably a lot of fun to hang out in during the Halloween season, ooohhhhh!!!

Shortly after this adventure, we arrived in Winchester for our next one. We noted a huge apple in front of the Winchester courthouse (Winchester is known as being a hub of apple activity), so like the tourists we were, we parked to get our pictures taken with the huge apple. Jesse decided to make things more interesting by tightrope-walking across the concrete banister along the front of the courthouse while we took his picture. As Jesse put it, “One wrong step and our vacation trip is ruined!”

The Big Apple. No, not New York City, but a huge fruit in front of the Winchester, VA courthouse.

Sparky and Guv'nor Jesse pose with the big apple.

Guv'nor Jesse, putting himself (and the rest of our vacation trip) in peril in front of the Winchester Courthouse.

We then followed vacation tradition and dined at the Winchester Waffle House, serving up good, heart-ruining foodstuffs cheap! This was enjoyable, as Sparky and I did their Texas cheesesteaks (good stuff!), and our waitress was friendly and conversational. She almost took a butcher knife to Jesse, though, when he put some coins in the jukebox and played one of the many songs about Waffle House listed on the jukebox menu.

Guv'nor Jesse and Sparky outside the Winchester Waffle House.

The rest of our journey to the Outer Banks was largely uneventful. We stopped at the Border Station, located along Route 168 right on the Virginia-North Carolina border. Arriving late evening, the store was closed for the night, but we still took some pictures outside the building where the state line bisected the building. As we arrived near our hotel location in Kitty Hawk, we stopped at a local Food Lion supermarket to stock up on snacks, foodstuffs and beer (yes, supermarkets in North Carolina can legally sell beer, something I wish markets in PA will someday be able to do). While Sparky and I purchased some nacho chips and salsa, Jesse came forward to the checkout with the only vacation supplies he needed: two bottles of champagne!

Separated by the state line, Sparky and Guv'nor Jesse at the Border Station.

Once again, Sparky and Guv'nor Jesse at the Border Station, contemplating whether one of Jesse's old Cadillacs would qualify as an "oversized vehicle."

We then headed to our hotel, the Holiday Inn Express. We booked two rooms, and thanks to the Holiday Inn Express folks, both rooms were nextdoor to one another and had a doorway between them, so we could go back and forth and share space without having to go out into the hallway. With our beer, snacks, and Jesse’s champagne, we celebrated our arrival at the Outer Banks; staying up until nearly 6 AM Sunday morning drinking, snacking, and watching Batman and Spiderman movies on television. Our vacation was under way, and it already was shaping up to be a memorable one!

SUNDAY 8/7

Logically, since we didn’t complete our OBX arrival partying until 6 AM, we didn’t arise from our slumber until well into Sunday afternoon. Once we did, though, we headed out to enjoy what was left of the day.

One stop Sparky and I wanted to make was a return visit to The Christmas Place on Manteo island. We had visited this store a few years ago during a previous visit, but when hurricanes thwarted our plans to return to the Outer Banks during two successive vacations, we hadn’t been able to return to it. Fortunately we did make it there this time around, as we discovered upon arriving that the store was going out of business and closing up shop. So despite it being early August, we were doing Christmas shopping, purchasing a few of the unique Christmas ornaments and a few souvenir items.

Sparky and Guv'nor Jesse at the soon-to-be-closed Christmas Shop.

Afterward, we returned to Kitty Hawk. Having forgotten to bring my flip-flops along for beach walking, I wanted to hit a Wings store to purchase sandals, so Sparky and I headed there while Jesse hung back at the hotel to stroll over to the beach. After about an hour, we all reunited and headed out for our evening meal.

In past OBX trips, we always visited The Wharf, an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet restaurant. But since our last visit, The Wharf closed its doors and has been torn down. But another all-you-can-eat seafood place, Jimmie’s Seafood Buffet, was in the vicinity, so we went there. This place was great! If you liked seafood, for $24 you could gorge to your heart’s content! They had several different varieties of crab legs, fish, scallops, clams, crayfish, lots of landlubber foods as well! We enjoyed the buffet, enough so that we wound up closing the place down and were the last customers to leave!

Yours truly and Guv'nor Jesse at Jimmy's Seafood Buffet. No, we weren't seated before 4 PM, so we didn't win the cash.

We then returned to the hotel rooms for the evening, and discovered the joys of watching the myriad of reality police chase shows offered up late nights on Spike TV. A few cold M-G-D's made these shows even more entertaining!

MONDAY 8/8

Since we retired earlier the night before (a lot earlier than 6 AM, at least), I awakened at a relatively early 9 AM, and decided to log some beach time. I took my folding chair and a book across Highway A1A to the beach, and took in some rays and read, occasionally stepping out to the edge of the beach and stepping in the ocean water. Not a particularly good swimmer, I didn’t venture too far out into the water, but only out to knee level. After a short while, Guv’nor Jesse showed up, ready to log some beach time of his own. I decided to head back to the hotel room and change into my swimming trunks, and was soon back to log some more ocean time. We both had a blast, with Jesse swimming a good 100-200 feet out into the ocean and riding the waves as they rolled in. I stood leg-and-knee depth in the ocean water, and got knocked over by the strong waves a few times. I noted some of the life forms in these shallow depths, including mole crabs (these are the little critters you occasionally feel climbing against your feet when the ocean water washes them in; these are often what the sea gulls and terns are searching for when they comb the beachfront).

Although I had put some sunscreen on when I returned to the hotel room for my swimming trunks, it was too little, too late. I got sunburned. It wasn’t the worst I had ever done (that record still belongs to my first Florida trip), but I was red and uncomfortable for the duration of the trip; especially my feet!

Guv'nor Jesse vs. the Atlantic Ocean.

Guv'nor Jesse gets defeated by the Atlantic Ocean.

Embedding my footprints in the OBX beachfront Walk Of Fame, yours truly. (The footprints kept washing away, damn!)

The slumbering Sparky eventually arose and joined us at the beach, just as we were finishing up and starting back to the hotel room. After showering, we headed out to the Wright Brothers Memorial and did the walking tour, burning off our seafood calories from the night before. After spending some time there, we headed to our of our favorite eateries, the New York Pizza Deli, for our dinner. Sparky and I chuckled as Guv’nor Jesse ordered up a large salad and TWO sandwiches, to the shock of our waitress. I told her, “Don’t worry, he’ll eat it all.” And sure enough, to her amazement, Jesse did!

The Wright Brothers Memorial.

Sparky and Guv'nor Jesse at the Wright Brothers Memorial.

With Kitty Hawk and the Atlantic Ocean behind them, Sparky and Guv'nor Jesse.

Again, Guv'nor Jesse and Sparky at the Wright Brothers Memorial.

Dwarfed by the Wright Brothers Memorial, Guv'nor Jesse and Sparky.

Yours truly, displaying my Flight 19 hat in front of a 1st Flight Memorial at the Wright Brothers Memorial.

Yours truly, posing in front of the word 'genius' - coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. (And yes, that is a John Solinski T-shirt I'm wearing - yes, I do pimp for local bands/artists when I go on vacation!)

Guv'nor Jesse, posing in front of a plaque at the Wright Brothers Memorial.

After our meal, we initially wanted to visit one of the large miniature golf courses in Kitty Hawk, but discovered a very long line waiting to get in. So instead, we headed to Jockey’s Ridge State Park, home of the tallest natural sand dune system in the United States. We went for another hike here, trudging our way to the top of the tallest sand dune. (My knee was still recovering from its injury at this point, but I still made it to the top of the ridge fairly easily). As Jesse described it, the top of the ridge looked like a scene from the planet Tattooine in the original Star Wars movie. (I thought it looked like the desert planet scene from the movie Dune; I was expecting one of those humungous, lightning-spitting worms to burst through the surface!) Although the weather looked threatening, we only endured a brief shower, and with a brisk wind blowing through, didn’t get very wet.

Sparky and Guv'nor Jesse, on the dunes at Jockey's Ridge State Park.

On the desert planet Tattooine, Sparky and Guv'nor Jesse.

We returned to our hotel room after leaving the park, and finished off our remaining beer and snacks. Hard to believe, but we were already facing the prospect of heading back home the following day!

TUESDAY 8/9

We reluctantly checked out of our hotel rooms by mid-morning, and faced the reality that we had to head back home to our day jobs in PA. But we still had a little time left to enjoy the Outer Banks, as well as the journey back home.

First, we had wanted to hook up with our friend, Ted Etheridge, who runs Music Box Recording Studio near Hamilton, NC. Upon calling his phone number, Sparky discovered Ted was on vacation, and had actually headed over to the Outer Banks! We headed to the beachfront condo complex where Ted was staying, but he was not in. I had Pennsylvania Musician magazines to give to him, so we hung the bag of magazines on the door of his condo – we figured that it wouldn’t be hard for Ted to figure out who left them there!

We then started our journey out of the Outer Banks. We stopped by the Outer Banks Visitor’s Center to grab some literature and take a few photos, before heading back inland and stopping by another of our favorite stops, the Grandy Farm Market in nearby Grandy. It was at about this point that we started heading into some rain and thunderstorms, making for a soggy journey as we headed northward. We stopped at the Border Station for some souvenirs, before proceeding through the rainy Chesapeake Bay through Newport News and Hampton. We proceeded back, stopping for dinner at the Winchester Cracker Barrel restaurant. We arrived home at around 10 PM. End of trip. Sigh.

Guv'nor Jesse at the Outer Banks Welcome Center.

A winged horse, outside the Outer Banks Welcome Center. Decorated horses were all around the Kitty Hawk area, similar to the decorated cows I saw in Harrisburg last year during the Millennium Music Conference.

But it was an enjoyable few days while it lasted. We’re already blocking off a full week in early August of next year to do it again; this time we’re considering renting a beachfront house for a full week, and possibly getting a group of people to go.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: