· The Forums
· The Final Cut
JP’S HIGHLIGHT REEL – 2005
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Jan 13, 2006 

JP’S HIGHLIGHT REEL – 2005

Another new year has begun, and again it is time to close the door on the year just passed. Here is my look back at 2005, and the bands, music, happenings, photos, and other stuff I will remember this past year for.

We’ll begin with my top ten highlights from the past year on the area music scene, including special shows and moments that stood out for me. These are in no particular order:

1) HELPING HANDS FOR HASTINGS BENEFIT. Once again, when tragedy and disaster struck the area, the area music community stepped forward to show support and solidarity. When a house fire claimed four lives in Hastings in May, Bad Daze frontman Rob Carolus and Dave Gunther from Davey’s Lounge put together the Helping Hands for Hastings Benefit. This turned into a special day, with bands, musicians, fans, friends and the Hastings community coming together to support the families of the four victims. Besides the music itself, I’ll remember driving back 3 hours from Harrisburg that morning to arrive just before the concert began on a hot and steamy afternoon, and then “running on fumes” as the show wound down at 2 AM inside Davey’s. I’ll also remember Hastings’ police chief stopping by, not to warn anybody about noise levels or people walking around with beer, but to commend Rob for putting the show together, and telling him that the Hastings community needed a day like this to boost spirits after the tragedy. The whole day was one good, warm vibe, and I was proud to be a part of it!

2) PROTO-KAW @ THE AMERICAN MUSIC FEST IN HARRISBURG. A longtime Kansas fan, I was excited to learn that guitarist Kerry Livgren’s current project, Proto-Kaw – reuniting one of the early Kansas line-ups from the early 70’s – was performing at Harrisburg’s annual American Music Fest on the 4th of July holiday weekend. I made the roadtrip, and got to witness Proto-Kaw’s performance while sitting on the lawn just feet away from the front of the stage. Of the few national caliber concert events I got to witness in 2005, this one was the most rewarding for me.

3) HURRICANE BOB’S 40TH BIRTHDAY BASH AT THE HITCHING POST. I didn’t even arrive at this show until after midnight, but still had an absolutely wild time, as Hurricanes drummer Bob Watters celebrated the 40th birthday milestone with his Hurricanes bandmates and friends. I’ll remember Hurricane Felix drafting me onstage to perform on kazoo, Bob blowing harp without a harp, Felix recalling famous Major League baseball player pitching and batting stances onstage, the sober musician populace onstage trying to keep the music together, and more. What a wild and fun night!

4) HALF TEMPTED JAM NIGHT AT CITY LIMITS. This was a fun and memorable night, as Half Tempted frontman/guitarist Ron Dalansky invited a number of local music ‘legends’ to come join in some good-time jamming. The vibe felt like the late 80’s at the old Sebastiano’s Hotel, as names like Rich Piccerillo, Jim High, Joe George, Steve Oswalt, John Stevens, Bob Watters and more joined Half Tempted through the course of the night, and many music fans from the old Sabs days were in attendance to celebrate as well. It was a high-energy night of spirited performances, good times and memories!

5) GENERATION GAP AND HOMER’S ARMY AT BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE. It was the first official bar gig for new area cross-generational fivesome Generation Gap, opening for Homer’s Army at Burgi’s Roundhouse. A lot of cool stuff came together this night, making for a special evening. I was blown away by the crowd, one of the largest I’ve seen at Burgi’s since they opened! Drummer Ed Murvine was fired up as he introduced his new drum kit this night, and he and Generation Gap heated things up with a spirited set. This was Homer’s Army’s first Altoona appearance with new guitarist Jimmy Smith; he and Tim Homerski went to town and dazzled the crowd with guitar duel pyrotechnics during the night-ending version of “Free Bird.” Tim’s flute display during Jethro Tull’s “Locomotive Breath” was incredible as well. This show offered further proof that in this area, you just never know what special night awaits you when you go to check out a show. Great time!

6) THE UVA BENEFIT AT PELLEGRINE’S. A little over a month after the tragic UVA Club shooting, which claimed the lives of UVA/Belmar Hotel owner Al Mignogna, UVA doorman Fred Rickabaugh and UVA patron Stephen Heiss, this benefit show took place at Pellegrine’s to raise monies for the surviving families, and celebrate the memories of the deceased. This night saw excellent attendance, and inspired sets from Opposition, Hair Force One, In and Green Eggs. The vibe was upbeat and supportive the whole evening, and all four bands left it all onstage. Hats off to Stephanie Feather for organizing the show, it was a special night!

7) NAKED BEGGARS AND HAIR FORCE ONE AT CITY LIMITS. I missed the first time these two bands hooked up locally the previous year at Beerbellies, but I witnessed this one – what a night! A Halloween costume party already upped the ante and energy level of the evening, and then the musical fireworks kicked in. Hair Force One’s set of 80’s hair-band rock picked up steam as it went, culminating with Naked Beggars’ Jeff Labar and Eric Brittingham – both also of 80’s rockers Cinderella fame – joining the group onstage to perform two Cinderella numbers. Then Naked Beggars carried on the party, and returned the favor to Hair Force One at the end of their performance, inviting the group onstage to join them on the last song. Helluva good time!

8) 15TH END OF SUMMER JAM AT CRESSON SPORTSMEN’S CLUB. The 15th annual “End Of Summer Jam” benefit concert provided a different sort of highlight for me this past year. It dawned on me that besides the music itself and the purpose of raising money for Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, this event has also become a sort of homecoming and reunion for friends. Although attendance overall could have been better, the people who were here wanted to be here, enjoying music, renewing acquaintances and making new friends. The spirit of cooperation was in place when several bands and musicians covered for some band no-shows, determined that “the show must go on.” And on Sunday, the emerging news of the UVA shootings down the hill in Altoona made me glad that I was here in Cresson, away from the madness, and enjoying the music and camaraderie of friends. The circumstances surrounding this year’s concert gave me a greater appreciation of it on several levels, and strengthened my resolve to continue to promote and support it in the years to come.

9) FELIX & THE HURRICANES’ “TURKEY NIGHT JAM” AT PETER C’S. With the news of Peter C’s impending closure, Felix & the Hurricanes’ annual “Turkey Night Jam” became a special night, as a multitude of musicians and fans converged on Peter C’s for one last chance to jam on the venue’s stage and cut the rug on the dance floor. Between the Hurricanes’ opening and closing sets, a who’s who of area musicians stepped on stage and jammed together. Then as the ‘Canes closed out the night, a packed dance floor of happy fans rocked along until the end, not wanting the night – or venue – to end. Although a few other farewell performances took place afterward, this is the one that I will regard as the official book-closer on the Peter C’s era.

10) THE JEFF WALLACK MEMORIAL SHOW AT ALDO’S. After the shock of the sudden passing of gifted area guitarist Jeff Wallack in early April, a special night to remember Jeff was staged at Aldo’s late in the month. The night featured inspired performances from a number of bands and Jeff’s peers and contemporaries; I’ll never forget the emotional performances of The Flame Sky with Steve Oswalt and Scott Botteicher, the Farm Show set, or the acoustic tributes by Sean Burgmeier, Buck Dickson, Jason Mittan and others. The energy level in the room was at a constant high, and you sensed that somewhere upstairs, Jeff Wallack was either jamming along, or itching to drop a stupid joke on the crowd to crack everyone up!

HONORABLE MENTIONS: The 3rd annual Rock The House Benefit, Summer Jam to Benefit Easter Seals (even if I did wind up limping for the rest of the summer because of it, lol!), John McKnight’s homecoming jams with Felix & the Hurricanes, Hierosonic’s incendiary performance at the Millennium Music Conference, the .00 Buck/Blind Jonny Death double-bill hoedown at the Hitching Post, Guitar Shorty at the American Ale House, James Cotton’s performance at the 6th Night Of Rock, Rhythm & Blues Benefit at Ace’s Lounge, the City Limits Toys for Tots Benefit, Dragon Fire’s comeback show at Aldo’s, and the Red Elvises’ two performances at Johnstown Folkfest

JP’s TEN FAVORITE LOCAL/REGIONAL CD’S OF 2005:

As somebody who heard a good portion of the new releases from this area and region in 2005, I was stunned by the amount of excellent albums this state put out in the past year. I remember songs from these albums a lot better than mostly anything I heard on commercial radio this past year; as far as I’m concerned, testimony to the quality of musicians and music emerging from this little corner of the world. If you don’t believe me, seek out any of these albums, and prove me wrong! Although it was difficult to narrow this year’s field to ten, here are my ten favorites (in no particular order)…

1) KAIROS – RETHINK: RESHAPE The second album from State College-turned-Pittsburgh progressive modern rockers Kairos, Rethink: Reshape is a thing of beauty. Kairos further developed their brand of cerebral, hard-hitting, detailed rock; combining ambient, soaring melodies; driving, aggressive choruses; and precision execution into arrangements that kept me on the edge of my seat anxious to hear where they would go next. The group’s overall songwriting was stronger, their execution tighter, and their production cleaner and fuller. “Loss of Supplication,” “Digging Sand,” “Synapse” and “Tryst In The Silent Night” were among the highlights, as well as the unpredictable 13-minute-plus two-part epic “Ronzer/Redemption.” Bottom line, Kairos raised the bar on all aspects of their presentation on Rethink: Reshape, resulting in an album that continues to spend quality time in my CD player months after its July release. Easily one of the strongest albums to emerge from the region in 2005. (To obtain, visit the website www.kairosband.com.)

2) BACKSTREET LAW – FRUSTRATED Regional favorites Backstreet Law continued to streamline and focus their hard-hitting band of melodic modern rock on their 2005 entry, Frustrated. This was Backstreet Law’s most consistent album to date, achieving just the right balance between modern metal edge and melody, as the group constructed some of their strongest tunes to date. The group’s knack for song hooks continued to improve, resulting in some of their sturdiest melodies yet. Textures ranged from the more melody-driven "Till' December," "Wasted Time," "What's Wrong With My Head" and "Right Here Right Now" to the heavier and more aggressive "Sorry," "Right," "Cross My Fingers" and the title track "Frustrated." Frustrated was another step forward in Backstreet Law’s development, and was their most consistent and listenable album yet. (To obtain, visit the website www.backstreetlaw.com.)

3) FAT VINNY & THE WISEGUYS – TIGHT PLAY With the loose theme of poker and life as a card game tying it together, Tight Play found Altoona blues-rock trio Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys again using blues as the launching pad to explore different styles and sounds. The group dabbled in surf-styled rock (“Bad Men On The Run”), Chicago-like pseudo-brass sounds (“Just Some Things”), and their trademark hard-driving blues rock (“Barroom Floor,” “Feet Up On The Dashboard,” “Lucky Charm”). This was a more playful album from the Wiseguys, with brighter tones and more bursts of tongue-in-cheek humor, demonstrated on the kicked-out-of-the-house ode “I’m Outdoors,” the witty “My Girl Or My Guitar,” and the raucous poker play-by-play closer “Shuffle Up and Deal.” The most fun offering from Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys yet, Tight Play took the group’s sound in some new directions, delivered with wit and a smile. (To obtain, visit the website http://www.angelfire.com/blues2/fatvinny/.)

4) THE NIGHTCRAWLERS – THE NIGHTCRAWLERS Technically, at five songs, this is an EP; but since it clocks in at around 30 minutes, I’m counting it as an album. The much-anticipated self-titled debut disc from State College’s Nightcrawlers introduced the world to this group’s multi-flavored mixture of sounds. The Nightcrawlers creatively wove elements of rock, jazz, funk, worldbeat, Latin, rockabilly and Americana into aural tapestries uniquely their own over the disc’s duration. Each tune offered a unique and tasty slant, from the lightly funky, worldbeat-tinged opener “African Echo” to the country-slanted “Lover’s Test,” the rockabilly-geared “Desert Sun,” the Caribbean-toned “Latin Groove” and the dark spacey blues of “Black Hole.” These players’ abilities to improvise and blend their instrumental talents are a constant highlight here; with the results being colorful, mesmerizing grooves that keep the listener riveted. An impressive debut. (To obtain, visit the website www.the-nightcrawlers.com.)

5) RED ROOM – RED ROOM A Harrisburg entry, Red Room’s self-titled debut introduces the world to the talents of one Jackie Cassatt, displaying a clear and powerful voice suggesting both Joni Mitchell and Alanis Morisette. The style is a straightforward blend of driving rock and funk-tinged groove, the vehicle for Jackie to sing words of broken hearts, unfulfilled dreams and what could have been. Nearly every song here is a clear-cut winner, from hard-edged rockers like “Cry,” “What I Need,” “On The Edge,” “Spinning” and “The Little Things” to tender and melancholy ballads like the acoustic-leaning “No Place Like Home,” “Happy Hour” and “Dar Mr. Sarcasm.” Tasteful execution, alluring melodies and Jackie Cassatt’s quality voice make Red Room one of 2005’s strongest debuts from the state’s music scene. (To obtain, visit the website www.redroom1.com.)

6) RHYNE McCORMICK – SOUL DUST Good fundamental songwriting, life’s experiences and wisdom all converge on Rhyne McCormick’s latest album, Soul Dust. The Lewistown-based singer/songwriter mixed elements of rock, folk, blues and soul into catchy, concise melodies over the album’s eight songs, touching on themes of relationships and rethinking past decisions. Rhyne offered up a variety of highlights here, from the outright rock of the opener “Girl Turned” to the soulful “5104” to the passionate “Train.” Soul Dust demonstrated Rhyne McCormick’s further maturation as a songwriter and artist, and is his strongest set to date. (To obtain, visit the website www.rhynemccormick.com.)

7) FAYTED – THE AFTERMATH One of the most pleasant surprises of 2005 was the strong debut disc from Saxton-based upstarts Fayted, The Aftermath. Fayted gave us a loud and proud set of classic-rooted, muscular rock’n’roll, featuring anthems (“Keep Smilin,’” “Too Late”), a blues-rooted exercise (“Blame Yourself”), an anti-drug statement (“Crystal Creature”) and tropical adventure (“Senoritaville”); all delivered with grit, enthusiasm, a strong knack for melody and ample hard-rocking wallop. This is a fun album that established Fayted as more than just a weekend party band; it put them on the map as legitimate songcrafters as well. (To obtain, visit the website www.fayted.com.)

8) WIDE OPEN – FIRST RIDE From the fierce Harley roar that triggers the album on the rip-roaring “Revin’ It Up” to the tranquil instrumental closer “End Of The Ride,” Wide Open’s First Ride is a jubilant, boisterous, loud, hard-rocking joy ride celebrating motorcycles, riding and women. Rooted in the arena rock tradition of classic Kiss, Ted Nugent and Scorpions, Wide Open puts pedal to the metal over these nine songs, resulting in classic barnburners like the aforementioned “Revin’ It Up,” the charged instrumental “Eat My Dust,” “Polish My Chrome,” “Twist the Grip” and more. And simply put, it’s just damned cool to hear area music vets Matt Socoski and Vincent Youngbauer tearing it up on the frets once again! First Ride convincingly trailblazes to glory; here’s hoping there are more rides to follow from Wide Open. (To obtain, visit the website www.wideopenrocks.com.)

9) THE APRIL SKIES – FLOOD Harrisburg’s The April Skies delivered a strong, quality album in their latest disc, Flood, demonstrating a sound rooted in 80’s-era alternative and pop. The April Skies give us ten songs with catchy pop hooks, developed into accomplished songcraft, and executed with a consistent, intertwining wall of guitar- and key-driven sound. Highlights for me included “Crutch,” the Byrds-flavored “A Game,” “Something to Shine About,” “Shaking the Day,” and the tranquil closer “I Will Surround You.” Fans of old-school R.E.M., Cure, U2 and Elvis Costello should look into Flood, as well as anybody into good, developed songwriting. (To obtain, visit the website www.theaprilskies.com.)

10) THIRD STANDARD – KARMA CLEAN Third Standard focused their sound and upped the ante on their sophomore effort, Karma Clean. An album diagnosing the emotions, turmoil and mind games surrounding a nasty break-up, Karma Clean found Third Standard sharpening their edge with a more pointed, bare bones brand of melody-geared hard rock. Frontman Tyson Ruhlman stepped up his overall fire, angst and intensity with more vocal grit and emotion; doing some post-mortem soul-searching through such song highlights as “Walkin’ On,” “I,” “Enemy,” the title track “Karma Clean” and “What Do You Want (From Me).” Karma Clean shows that music is still good therapy for purging emotional demons and venting frustrations and regrets; and it shows Third Standard’s progression as songwriters and performers. (To obtain, visit the website www.thirdstandard.com.)

HONORABLE MENTIONS: TED McCLOSKEY – WHO’S GONNA LISTEN ANYWAY BLIND JONNY DEATH – GIT DOWN ON THE FARM, RACHEL ALLEN – ALMOST THERE, FLORD – THE NEXT LEVEL, WISKERBISKET – SOMETHING NEW, CLOUD PARTY – PRAYING FOR RAIN, SPOONCHATTER – HOMESPUN, RIK GOLDEN – RIK GOLDEN.

JP’S TEN FAVORITE LOCAL/REGIONAL SONGS OF 2005:

A new category I added this year…So impressed I was with the output of area music in the past year, I wanted to also celebrate the gifts of songcraft that a number of area bands and musicians exhibited in 2005, by recognizing some songs from the area music scene that grabbed my attention during the past year. Again, these are in no particular order:

1) RHYNE McCORMICK – “Train” A song about choices made in life and how they impact things later on, Rhyne came up with a stellar number here. The song gradually builds into a hauntingly beautiful duet with former Foxxy lead singer Gina Rendina, and evolves into a powerful, almost gospel-like crescendo. For me, “Train” is one of those songs that nails an arrow directly into the soul; if you aren’t moved in some way by this tune, check your pulse to see if you haven’t died!

2) SPOONCHATTER – “11:00 PM” On Spoonchatter’s generally pleasant and milder-toned album, Homespun, this song stood out to me as a solemn, more urgent-flavored number about the masks we wear to deal with life’s harsh realities, told through the eyes of a television news anchorman. Dustin Rainey’s stern piano-key pounding and Jen Shuty’s solemn baritone sax tones sell the tune’s serious mood; this is a well put-together number that stood out in my mind long after I heard it for the first time. Good stuff!

3) WIDE OPEN – “Revin’ It Up” The mighty roar of a Harley engine kicks off this torrid rocker, which opens up Wide Open's debut CD, First Ride. This song celebrates the glories of taking the two-wheeler out on the open road and letting it rip, powered by Spike Morelli's booming beats and the incendiary guitar fire of Matt Socoski and Vincent Youngbauer. "Revin' It Up" kicks your ass from the get-go, plus sets the stage for the rest of Wide Open's full-throttled rock to follow on the album. In my book, one of the most fun, hard-rocking songs of 2005!

4) FAT VINNY & THE WISEGUYS – “Shuffle Up and Deal” One of Fat Vinny best qualities has always been his ability to tell stories through song; that is a big reason why this tune works with me. Along a bustling, piano-tinged blues shuffle backdrop, Fat Vinny lets us sit alongside him at the casino card table, giving us a play-by-play account with each hand of Texas Hold 'Em; ending each verse with the lyrical ray of hope "If I've got a chip, and I've got a chair, then I've got a chance," before the full Wiseguy gang chorus kicks in. A catchy tune that takes us into another world, "Shuffle Up and Deal" is a clear-cut winning hand to close out Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys' excellent Tight Play album.

5) THE NIGHTCRAWLERS – “African Echo” It’s no wonder this tune has become The Nightcrawlers' most popular number. "African Echo" offers the perfect introduction into the multi-flavored world of The Nightcrawlers, blending together tropical-flavored rhythms, Noah Figlin's jazz- and blues-informed guitarwork, an irresistable melody, and in the homestretch, Aeb Byrne's light and gentle flute serenade. Melody, musicality and musical styles merge into one of the most rewarding 7 minutes to emerge from the area music scene in 2005.

6) BLIND JONNY DEATH – “Requiem for America” The closing number on Blind Jonny Death’s debut album, Git Down On The Farm, “Requiem for America” is a message song about a nation and society who need to get their priorities in order. The tone of an electric guitar grows through the course of this folksy number, as the seriousness of Marc “L.C. Slim” Prave’s lyrical message becomes more evident. Given Blind Jonny Death’s down-home, folksy approach, I can almost picture a fatherly/grandfatherly figure sitting on the back porch and saying these words to his wife or family, sharing his observations about where we are and where we need to go.

7) FLORD – “The Next Level” The title track to Flord’s second CD, “The Next Level” is fierce, straight-up-the-gut metal that places a chokehold on your throat and throttles you for the duration. Hearing the rapidfire nip-and-tuck riffage between guitarist Phil Keith and bassist Tom Yannitelli is half the fun here, as well as Butch Woodward's escalation into monstrous intensity on the choruses. "The Next Level" is angry, intense, and scathing, yet with a clear-cut melody that hangs with you long after first listen. Metal just the way I like it!

8) THE FLAME SKY – “The Price You Pay” Over their career to date, The Flame Sky has come up with a number of intriguing tunes; "The Price You Pay" is one of their most interesting yet. This tune displays a Jeckyl-Hyde personality, starting with a jam-band-type feel before evolving into a stormy, metallic soundscape that keeps intensifying to the finish. In the homestretch, the tune reveals some of The Flame Sky's roots in classic King Crimson. This tune got into my head and didn't leave; and is one I look forward to hearing when The Flame Sky plays live.

9) DENISE BALDWIN – “Standing In The Rain” Western PA singer/songwriter/guitarist Denise Baldwin comes up with a beautiful melody here, on a tender love song about making a special moment last. Denise sells this song with her clear, high-ranging and powerful voice, making the chorus soar high and mighty. The simplicity of the arrangement keeps Denise's expressive voice front and center. A very nicely done and memorable song.

10) FAYTED – “Keep Smilin’” Saxton's Fayted launches their impressive debut disc, The Aftermath, with this anthem. "Keep Smilin'" slowly evolves into a powerful ode to keeping one's chin up through life's rough times. I like the way this tune gradually develops, the explosive midsection guitar solo fireworks, and the song's eventual resolution. A well put-together number that shows Fayted's knack for clever songwriting.

JP’S 50 FAVORITE PHOTOS OF 2005:

Once again, it’s time for me to recap the past year photographically. Here are my 50 favorite photos from 2005. A number of these you might have seen before if you regularly read Rockpage; a few you have not seen yet. Most are shots I took; obviously the ones with me in them I didn’t take. And while most are music scene-related, a few are not…Enjoy!

1. I didn’t get to photograph many violin players in 2005, but was pleasantly surprised when David Single of Ribbon Grass broke out one during a January show at Yesterday’s Party in Ebensburg.

2. Bill Rickard and Phil Wagner of CuCuPlex show some intensity during a show in February at Peter C’s.

3. One of Jimi Hendrix’s biggest influences, Guitar Shorty, takes his show out into the audience during his February visit to the American Ale House at Toftrees near State College.

4. It was a scorching jam display when Felix Kos, Tony Mollick, Dick Kos and Jeff Clapper pushed it to the limit during a Hurricanes Thursday jam at Peter C’s in February.

5. Qualifying for one of the meanest bass player looks of 2005 was Tom Yannitelli of Flord, during their performance at an Underground TV showcase at Crowbar in February.

6. Mike Swartz of Wiskerbisket, demonstrating some of his low-end talents for some appreciative fans during a February show at Peter C’s.

7. Steve “Dig” Danfelt and Joe Neary of 4 Days Dirty, during a show at Aldo’s in March. Here’s hoping for Joe’s safe return home in 2006 after heading to Iraq for military duty during much of 2005.

8. Who’s got the funk? During Browntown’s March show at the 4D’s Lounge, Matt Cochran and Trevor Davis show that their horns have the funk.

9. During a March show at the Hitching Post, Felix Kos’ better half, Deb, schools the house and shows the Post just where the lead Hurricane learned all his chops.

10. It isn’t music-related, but it’s not every day that I can get a tropical bird to stand on my head. This was during my late March vacation at Busch Gardens in Tampa; photo courtesy of Sparky D’Engineer.

11. Shortly after introducing new addition “The Reverend” T. Orris Hipps on snare drum, Blind Jonny Death entertain during a late April show at the Hitching Post.

12. The Collective, cranking up the dance party during their first (and probably last) appearance at Ebensburg’s Castle Pub in early April.

13. Rocking millions…err…dozens…from atop the bar at the Warehouse in Bedford, Josh Lockard, Larry Bishop and Ron Horton of Fayted during an April performance.

14. Demonstrating how to get Jamie Smith of Beyond Reason to sing higher, bandmate Dan Myers II tries an unorthodox method during a May show at the Hitching Post.

15. Dan Mort of Suicide Switch, looking mighty with his bass during a show at Aldo’s in May.

16. Greg Majewsky, during the impromptu reunion performance of his pre-Roadkill band, Piranha, during the latter stages of the late June Helping Hands For Hastings Benefit inside Davey’s Lounge in Hastings.

17. Earlier during the Helping Hands For Hastings Benefit, the stagefront lawn quickly fills with dancers as Gin & Juice gets their groove on.

18. Another non-musical photo highlight of my year was this photo of the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse, conceding surrender as his 1975 Chrysler New Yorker is loaded aboard a rollback after breaking down during a western PA joyride. The photo was taken in the parking lot of the Andora Restaurant in Sewickley Hills near Pittsburgh in mid-June. Jesse has since purchased a “new” old 1973 Cadillac, so more roadside adventures like this could be in the forecast for 2006.

19. Harrisburg national recording artist Jeffrey Gaines, performing solo during his keynote address at the 9th annual Millennium Music Conference in late June at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in downtown Harrisburg.

20. Tom Sheeder, during Pipedown’s reunion performance at the 2nd annual Relay for Life Band Jam in June at the Shade Gap Picnic Grounds.

21. Looking on with much anticipation and concern, Kathy from The Underground TV as yours truly attempts his best Nolan Ryan fastball to try to sink her into the dunking tank during the Summer Jam to Benefit Easter Seals at Lakemont Park in July. Kathy needn’t have worried, though; I would have been hard-pressed to hit the broad side of a barn with my pitching abilities this day.

22. Also during the Summer Jam to Benefit Easter Seals, Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday, because there just wasn’t enough cowbell in my Favorite 50 photos.

23. During the annual American Musicfest in Harrisburg during the July 4th weekend, Kerry Livgren of Proto-Kaw. Proto-Kaw (“pre-Kansas”) reunited one of the early Kansas line-ups before the one that eventually hit it big in the mid 70’s.

24. “I am Locutus of The Borg…You will assimilate.” Actually, it is Randy Wilson of Bad Daze, during an August performance at Pellegrine’s.

25. Tim Mort and Mike Long of Chapter 5, during an August performance at Aldo’s.

26. During the 15th annual “End Of Summer Jam” Benefit at the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club in late August, Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

27. Also during “End Of Summer Jam,” a new talent that punched his ticket onto area stages officially in 2005, Generation Gap vocalist Brian Elliott.

28. Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One, during a wild August show at City Limits. Michael would exit Hair Force One before the end of the year.

29. What JP’s Favorite 50 Photos is complete without…snoobs? Actually, people misunderstood my intent on taking this picture during The Grimm’s comeback show at Peter C’s in September. I was actually using my zoom lense capability to capture a shot of Esa’s pool-ball arranging abilities. Nice rack, Esa!

30. “The Snoobs Have It, Part 2”…At the Greater Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival in August, I just happened to be standing on the hillside, awaiting the start of the jousting match, when I happened to glimpse downhill in front me, and…instinct took over from there.

31. Kenny “Old School” Murdick of Bad Daze, during a September show at Pellegrine’s.

32. Matt Day and Greg Locke of In, during the Hurricane Katrina Benefit Concert at City Limits in late September.

33. Steve McCulley of Half Tempted, during the Jeff Showalter Memorial Ride Motorcycle Run post-party in late September at the Campbell Hill Rec Room near Hollidaysburg.

34. Flanked by dancing ladies, including Rockpage’s own ZappasXWife, Oleg Gorbunov of Red Elvises during the first of the group’s two performances at the annual Johnstown Folkfest on Labor Day weekend.

35. Tony Oleksa of Flap Jack’N Jill, during September’s Rock The House Benefit at Greenhouse Park near Johnstown.

36. Hair Force One is joined onstage by Jeff Labar and Eric Brittingham of Naked Beggars to do some tunes by the pair’s slightly better-known band – Cinderella – during a Halloween weekend show at City Limits.

37. Lordy, lordy, look who survived to be 40! Hurricane Bob Watters demonstrates his harp abilities – without a harp – during his 40th birthday bash at the Hitching Post in October.

38. Love Stomp frontlady Amy K, during the Kevin Dare Memorial Benefit Concert at Crowbar in State College in October.

39. Steve Nelson of Green Eggs and Victor Synn of Hair Force One, during the UVA Benefit at Pellegrine’s in October.

40. Shawn Hocherl, making his farewell appearance with Vs. the Earth in late October at the 4D’s Lounge. Shawn left the group to explore various career options.

41. Doug Lehman and Jeff Pittinger of White Witch, during a late October show at the Log Cabin Inn in Muncy.

42. Because the flute is a metal instrument, Part I…Aeb Byrne of The Nightcrawlers, electrifying the house with her flute talents during the Toys for Tots Benefit at City Limits in November.

43. Because the flute is a metal instrument, Part II…Tim Homerski, Mike “Griff” Griffiths and Jimmy Smith of Homer’s Army, giving a fiery display during a show at Burgi’s Roundhouse in November.

44. Dan Miller of Choking Faith, during a November show at Aldo’s Choking Faith’s return to action in 2005 helped bolster a strong year for the area’s metal scene.

45. Unleashing the beast during that same November show at Aldo’s, Choking Faith frontman Jason Mittan.

46. What’s so special about this photo of Fat Vinny, you ask? It was the first photo taken on my brand new camera, a special Christmas gift from the Rockpage community replacing one stolen from my car in November. The special presentation (and this photo) took place during Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys’ pre-Christmas show at Burgi’s Roundhouse in late December. Thanks again everybody!

47. Bob Lee of The Grimm, enlisting “Suckupon” volunteers during the group’s annual holiday presentation of “It’s A Horrible Life” at Peter C’s in December.

48. Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted, joined by Denise Neely and Steve Oswalt during Half Tempted’s jam night at City Limits in December.

49. Felix Kos of the Hurricanes and special guest drummer Dewayne McKnight, during a special impromptu holiday season jam night at the Hitching Post in December.

50. Closing out this year’s Favorite 50 Photos, Big John, Jodie K and Bandit, onstage at Peter C’s for one of the final times following The Grimm’s December show. Thanks again for the good times and memories!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: