· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/12/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Jan 16, 2006 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/12/05

HURRICANE KATRINA BENEFIT CONCERT @ HERITAGE PLAZA, ALTOONA 9/7/05

As news of the scope of the death, destruction and devastation from Hurricane Katrina spread, numerous initiatives to collect monies and supplies to help out the relief efforts quickly came together. And benefit concerts were organized as well; the Blair County Community Action Agency staged one of the first, devoting one of their final Wednesday evening Summer Concert Series events at downtown Altoona's Heritage Plaza towards raising funds for Katrina relief.

I arrived fairly early in the concert, but missed Dennie Huber and some of the early performances. Young Elaini Arthur was singing a pair of country tunes as I arrived, before show host Allan Robison introduced Megan Ritchey to sing "God Bless the U.S.A." and "Rocky Top."

Blair County Community Action Agency executive director and show host Allan Robison.

Megan Ritchey, singing at the Hurricane Katrina Benefit.

At this point, Band Of Gold took the stage. This was actually my first time observing this group, as they performed a 20-minute-plus set of 50's/60's favorites. Guitarist Jerry Burkstresser, keyboardist Sonny Baumgardner, bassist/singer Bill Edwards, drummer John McKee, and substitute sax player Rich Mishock (in for Brian Anator), played hits such as Spirit's "I've Got A Line On You," the Swingin' Medallions' "Double Shot (Of My Baby's Love)," Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls of Fire," Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues," Crazy Elephant's "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin,'" Garth Brooks' "The Dance," Roy Head's "Treat Her Right" and Robert Parker's "Barefootin.'" Band Of Gold generated an upbeat, friendly vibe; and inspired a few audience members to cut the rug in front of the stage.

Subbing on sax for Band Of Gold, Rich Mishock.

Bill Edwards of Band Of Gold.

Band Of Gold entertains at the Hurricane Katrina Benefit Concert.

After Band Of Gold finished, the first of two different Big Mac N'Fries jam sessions took place. (For your information, the name Big Mac N’Fries is a tribute to the Station Mall McDonalds, who contributed food and refreshments to a number of the Summer Concerts at Heritage Plaza.) This first session featured Jim Hemcher on bass and vocals, Brian Cupples and John McKelvey on guitars, Ken Civils on keys and Allan Robison on drums. This line-up mixed it up, starting with Georgia Satellites' "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" with Jim singing lead. Brian then took over lead mic on Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues," before tossing the singing duties to Allan for the blues double-shot of "Kansas City" and "Sweet Home Chicago." Jim again fronted the group on CCR's "Suzie Q," followed by Brian singing Del Shannon's "Runaway," and Jim's treatment of Grand Funk Railroad's "Some Kind Of Wonderful" to end the set. The vibe was pleasant and good-natured, as these musicians had some fun and kept the crowd happy with their wide-ranging sounds.

The first Big Mac N’Fries jam commences during the Hurricane Katrina Benefit.

Jim Hemcher of Big Mac N’Fries.

Brian Cupples of Big Mac N’Fries.

Again, Big Mac N’Fries.

Allan Robison of Big Mac N’Fries.

Ken Civils of Big Mac N’Fries.

Once again, Allan Robison of Big Mac N’Fries.

Next to perform was the Servello Family. Jack Servello on guitar and lead vocals, his wife Barb on backing vocals, his son Richie on drums, and his sister Riann on violin, also featured a wide and interesting variety of music; kicking off with the Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun" and showcasing Riann's violin talents on Charlie Daniels' "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." After these two songs, a brief interruption, as Altoona mayor Tom Martin was introduced to pick the winner of a 50/50 drawing; he congratulated the organizers, musicians and audience for doing their part to help in the Katrina relief effort, and declared that he was proud to be the mayor of Altoona. The Servello Family then continued with a Garth Brooks number, followed by Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up," with additional vocals from the Keith Junior High School chorus. Jack Servello then finished the set on an interesting note, showcasing his wide-ranging voice on a solo rendition of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody."

Getting warmed up to perform with the Servello Family, Riann Servello.

Riann and Jack Servello of the Servello Family.

Jack Servello of the Servello Family.

Riann Servello of the Servello Family.

The Servello Family entertains at the Hurricane Katrina Benefit.

Once again, the Servello Family.

At this point, the second Big Mac N’Fries jam session started to take form on the stage; while Jack Servello did one more song, the Beatles’ “Blackbird.” This particular line-up of Big Mac N’Fries included Rich Mishock on vocals and sax, Don Osborn, Jack Servello and John McKelvey on guitars, Bill Hunter on bass, Ken Civils on keys, and Allan Robison on drums. They kicked off their set with Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride and Joy,” followed by the Don-fronted rendition of the Doobie Brothers’ “Long Train Runnin,’” Jack singing Santana’s “Evil Ways,” and Bill fronting the group on the Stones’ “Honky Tonk Women” (this featured some interesting vocal harmonies). Brian Cupples joined the group onstage to provide some additional percussion on the Jack-fronted rendition of “Sweet Home Alabama.” John fronted the group on Tom Petty’s “Breakdown,” before Big Mac N’Fries closed out the evening with “Black Magic Woman.” As with the first Big Mac N’Fries set, this one was fun and laid back, with the various players pooling their talents and making their music happen, with no preconceptions on how the finish product would sound – to their credit, it all sounded good, and in the case of a few songs, fresh and interesting. Good stuff!

Don Osborn of Big Mac N’Fries, the nightcap edition.

Two ladies demonstrate their dance moves to Big Mac N’Fries.

The nightcap edition of Big Mac N’Fries.

The end tally showed at least $2,500 raised for Hurricane Katrina relief efforts. Announced as the final concert of this summer’s concert series, this Katrina Benefit closed the series on a high note, with a wide talent slate and cross-section of the Altoona community joining forces to do what they could to help with the relief efforts down south. A very good evening.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 9/8/05

Day job duties kept me occupied until late, so I didn’t arrive at Peter C’s until Felix & the Hurricanes were just into their third set. It was the basic ‘Canes trio of Felix, Bob and Jeff on guitar, drums and bass respectively; and the crowd was a wild amalgam of Peter C’s regulars, Hurricaniacs and other assorted crazies.

The group was into a few original songs as I arrived, the ever-popular “Walking A Straight Line” and “Keep On Rockin.’” The group slowed the groove down for the Allmans’ “Sweet Melissa,” before returning to their original vault for “You Say I Say,” “Grow” and “Black Widow.” Felix, in a rather playful mood this night, generated the sounds of spring peepers on his guitar, leading into the Creedence Clearwater Revival medley of “Green River” and “Suzie Q.” The Hurricanes stepped up the tempo with Pat Travers/Stan Lewis’ “Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights),” before concluding the night with Blackfoot’s “Highway Song.”

As expected, the Hurricanes rocked like a well-oiled machine; Felix shined on his guitar, Bob supplied the sharp beats, and Jeff’s bass sounded big, full and busy throughout the set. The Hurricanes were no doubt fired up by the wild crowd; whose antics included some nudity and other dysfunctional behavior. And Wild Turkey shots were in abundance and circulating openly between band and crowd.

The results were another wild and fun Hurricanes Thursday night at Peter C’s; providing a good nightcap after my busy work day.

Felix & the Hurricanes, kicking it up at Peter C’s.

Bob Watters of Felix & the Hurricanes.

Felix and Bob of the Hurricanes, hamming it up at Peter C’s.

The world is his drum kit; Hurricane Bob tests the drum head capabilities of Peter C’s back wall.

In the audience this night, Christine (right) and her sister.

Manning the bar this night, Clinton.

LOST LEDNY @ THE WAREHOUSE, BEDFORD 9/9/05

It had been a little while since I had last seen Lost Ledny in action, so I roadtripped south on I-99 to The Warehouse in Bedford to check in on them. Arriving at the tail end of their first set, I caught the latter part of their performance of Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing In The Name.”

Intermission allowed me to get settled in and to touch base with frontman Matt Cherry. Matt filled me in on all things new in Ledny-land; including that the group would soon have a 5-song EP issued through Jagermeister.

Eventually, Lost Ledny returned to the stage and commenced their second set. Matt Cherry, guitarist Dave Hildebrand, bassist Matt Rakar and drummer Joe Mulligan opened with Pearl Jam's "Black," before letting an audience member named Renee step up to the lead mic to do some rap freestyling. Lost Ledny then unleashed a Metallica medley that fused together portions of "or Whom the Bell Tolls," "Enter Sandman" and "One." For the rest of the set, Lost Ledny played hard-hitting current rock and metal favorites from Coal Chamber, Drowning Pool, Sevendust, System Of A Down, Linkin Park and more. The group also introduced a new original tune.

While the group's performance was solid and steady, the room acoustics and sound mix weren't doing Lost Ledny any favors early on. Matt Cherry's vocals were overridden in a bass- and drum-heavy mix. Despite the less than ideal sound, though, Lost Ledny still kept audience members attentive, with at least a few folks up and getting rowdy to the tunes.

Lost Ledny's nightcap set featured more of the same musically, as the group tore through tunes from Static X, Disturbed, Killswitch Engage, Limp Bizkit, Drowning Pool, Korn, Slipknot and more. Matt Cherry again brought the fury on the voice, frequently emptying his clip with full-vent howls; tempered with a slightly lighthearted edge as he tapped beats on an empty beer keg and did other antics along the way. Lost Ledny's sound mix was improved during this set as well, with a more audible balance between all four band members.

As shows go, this one was respectable, though not particularly memorable. Lost Ledny got the job done, and kept at least some of the mid-sized Warehouse populace interested and rocking.

Powered by Jagermeister, Lost Ledny.

Matt Cherry of Lost Ledny.

Dave Hildebrand of Lost Ledny.

Matt Rakar of Lost Ledny.

Again, Matt Cherry of Lost Ledny.

Lost Ledny, rocking the Warehouse.

Once again, Lost Ledny.

One more time, Lost Ledny.

ALTOONA FIRST FESTIVAL @ LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 9/10/05

Last year, there was festival controversy on the Johnstown side of the mountain, when the organizers of the annual Johnstown Folkfest decided to move the event from the Cambria City neighborhood it had long called home to a new festival park facility near downtown Johnstown. The situation resulted in the vacated Cambria City community starting their own festival alternative to Folkfest, the Cambria City Ethnic Festival.

This year, a similar situation developed on the Altoona side of the mountain. When the Allegheny Mountains Convention and Visitors Bureau decided to move the annual Keystone Country Festival out of its longtime home – Lakemont Park – and into the Blair County Convention Center, it stirred similar controversy and consternation. But as the Cambria City churches and businesses did the previous year, Lakemont Park organizers came up with their own replacement festival, and the inaugural Altoona First Festival was born. The big question entering this weekend was whether the crowd would follow the Keystone Country Festival into its new indoors location, or embrace the new festival instead.

As I rode the shuttle bus over to Lakemont Park and made my way through the main park entrance, it became quite clear that many peoples’ – and vendors’ – loyalties remained with Lakemont Park and this new festival. A large amount of crafters and vendors had set up, and a large crowd of festival-goers was on hand to take it all in. I took in the sights as I made my way down to the food pavilion area to grab a bite to eat and take in some of the Fabulous Flashbacks’ performance.

It had been a few years since I had last seen the Flashbacks in action. True to their name, the Flashbacks are still all about flashing back to the early years of rock’n’roll, particularly the 60’s. Singer/guitarist Don Trullender, singer Kathy Tornatore, singer/bassist Dave Tornatore, guitarist/singer Ken Merritts, keyboard player Ed Kissell and drummer John Bowser mixed it up with vintage favorites from the Four Seasons, Leslie Gore, Jerry Lee Lewis, the Kingsmen, Dion, the Ronettes, Crystals, Van Morrison, Chuck Berry, Martha & the Vandellas and more. Kathy, Dave, Don and Ken did the lion’s share of vocal duties, and all were impressive. Kathy captured the girl group styles and sounds well, and Dave replicated the Frankie Valli falsettos on the Four Seasons numbers. Overall, I was impressed with the Flashbacks’ skills in capturing the authentic sound and vibe of early 60’s rock’n’roll. The group was clearly having fun entertaining the crowd as well, offering playful banter, choreographed stage moves and more. It was easy after witnessing this performance to understand why the Fabulous Flashbacks remain one of this region’s top oldies groups.

Kathy Tornatore of the Fabulous Flashbacks.

The Fabulous Flashbacks, celebrating rock’n’roll memories at the Altoona First Festival.

Don Trullender of the Fabulous Flashbacks.

Once again, the Fabulous Flashbacks.

After the Flashbacks finished, I made my way over to the Main Stage, where a Jimmy Buffett tribute act, Changes In Latitudes, was starting to perform. A good-sized crowd was seated as the group was already into its set of Jimmy Buffett favorites, classics, and even a few original songs. The group was getting warmed up with James Taylor’s “Mexico” and Crosby Stills & Nash’s “Southern Cross” as I arrived. Almost immediately, I noticed something different, a parrothead bar situated off to the right of the stage, selling margaritas and bottled beer. I don’t think I ever saw beer sold during the old Keystone Country Festival; indeed progress was being made! In keeping with the parrothead theme of the show, I headed over and procured myself a martini and took in the rest of the show.

Changes In Latitude singer and Jimmy Buffett protégé Steve Kareta introduced an original tune called “By The Sea,” the title track from the group’s first CD (the group uses a shortened monicker, Changes, for their original project to set it apart from the Buffett tribute). The group continued to perform Buffett favorites such as "on of a Son of a Sailor," "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere," the group's adopted title tune "Changes In Latitudes," "fins," "Cheeseburger In Paradise," and of course, the ever-popular "Margaritaville." Changes In Latitudes also offered a tropical-edged take on Hank Williams' "Hey Good Lookin,'" and mixed in versions of Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl," Sam Cooke's "Another Saturday Night," another original tune, "Can't Stand the Weather," and to end their show, the Grateful Dead's "Scarlet Begonias."

Having never actually attended a Jimmy Buffett concert, I'm not able to comment on just how accurately Changes In Latitudes captured the total Buffett experience. But I thought this group was very good at what they did; they sounded pretty close to the Buffett sound; and with tropical attire and the stage done up in a tropical beachfront nightclub motif, they seemed to catch the visual mood of what a Buffett show might be like. Singer Steve kept the mood festive and upbeat, and demonstrated a clear, Buffett-like voice. His band was solid; featuring guitar, sax, keys, drums, percussion and backing singers. The audience enjoyed the show, with a number of audience members heading to the group's stage-side merchandise stand after the show to procure CD's and other items.

Changes In Latitudes kicks off their Parrothead party at the Altoona First Festival.

Again, Changes In Latitudes.

Steve Kareta of Changes In Latitudes.

Once again, Steve Kareta of Changes In Latitudes.

Heidi Lynn Michaud of Changes In Latitudes.

As the sun sets, Changes In Latitudes’ party continues.

Guy Wallis and Brandon Marger of Changes In Latitudes kicks off their Parrothead party at the Altoona First Festival.

Again, Changes In Latitudes.

Steve Kareta and Guy Wallis of Changes In Latitudes.

Steve Kareta of Changes In Latitudes.

The party continues with Changes In Latitudes at the Altoona First Festival.

Dan Moraski of Changes In Latitudes.

After the show, I walked around Lakemont Park and continued to take in the sights and atmosphere of the inaugural Altoona First Festival. The vibe just seemed to be livelier and more cheery; there was an energy here I hadn't detected at the Keystone Country Festival in a number of years. People actually seemed to be having some fun at this festival. And no funeral home vendors, either! (One of my classic gripes about the Keystone Country Festival in years past, you pay admission at the gate only to walk inside and see somebody trying to hawk funeral services on you - just what you go to a festival for!)

In the days following this festival, it was reported that attendance for the Altoona First Festival was substantially higher than for the relocated Keystone Country Festival over the entire weekend. The multitudes have spoken, and it appears their loyalties are with Lakemont Park over the Keystone Country Festival. Based on what I saw, it appears the Altoona First Festival is off to a good start, and hopefully will continue to grow and develop into the type of fun, quality event that the Keystone Country Festival used to be.a long time ago.

IN/SERIOUS JONES @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 9/10/05

After departing the Altoona First Festival and resting briefly, I headed to City Limits to enjoy some Saturday night rocking, courtesy of In and Serious Jones.

Serious Jones was already well into their set when I arrived. Attendance was on the light side early on, partially attributable to Vs. the Earth and Kyx also playing in town this night. And the small-ish crowd assembled was quiet early on; and although Serious Jones was pulling all stops to break the ice with their set of fun rock'n'roll, audience response to their efforts was minimal. Still, the group sounded good on versions of Poison's "Talk Dirty to Me," Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name," Night Ranger's "Don't Tell Me You Love Me," and their set-closing extended edition of the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues," with frontman Dennis Wood livening things up with some friendly ad-libbing on the mic.

Serious Jones, kicking off the evening at City Limits.

Once again, Serious Jones.

Dennis Wood of Serious Jones.

Calvin Walls of Serious Jones.

Matt Hertlein of Serious Jones.

It was soon In’s turn to pick up the party ball and run with it. Singer Greg Locke, guitarist Matt Day, drummer Josh Hetrick and bassist Adam Zimmer kicked things off with Velvet Revolver’s “Slither,” and proceeded to trigger the City Limits dance floor party with tunes from The Sweet, Good Charlotte, Marilyn Manson, Green Day, Fountains Of Wayne, Violent Femmes and more. First set highlights included the group’s treatment of Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy,” Cracker’s “Low,” and Matt’s blazing guitarwork on the set-ending edition of Living Colour’s “Cult Of Personality.”

In’s nightcap set continued to generate activity on City Limits’ dance floor, as the group rocked with tunes from White Stripes, Danzig, Black Crowes, Cheap Trick, AC/DC, Green Day, Toadies, some urban sounds from Snoop Dogg and Beastie Boys, and more. Although it was a smaller crowd in the house this night, In made their performance count, breaking a serious sweat to keep the audience entertained and having fun. It amounted in a good time for those who did attend.

Josh Hetrick of In.

Matt Day of In.

Greg Locke of In.

Again, Josh Hetrick of In.

Greg Locke and Adam Zimmer of In.

Again, Greg Locke of In.

Adam Zimmer of In.

Keeping the dance floor happy, In.

Again, Matt Day of In.

In keeps ‘em partying at City Limits.

Once again, Matt Day of In.

Looking hip, In’s skull mascot.

For the chemically-enhanced members of our viewing audience, some psychedelic In.

BACKSTREET LAW @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/11/05

My regular Sunday night “Backyard Rocker” duties kept me a little later than usual, so I didn’t arrive at Pellegrine’s until well after midnight, and near the end of Backstreet Law’s second set. As expected, a large crowd was on hand, and lots of fans were on the dance floor as Backstreet Law – singer Matt “Goody” Goodreau, guitarist Jeremy Edge, bassist Jamie Morral and drummer Mike “Choke” Oakley – closed out the set with the Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right (to Party)” and a song from their newly-released Frustrated CD, “Falling.”

The nightcap set featured a number of trademark Backstreet Law highlights, kicking off with their ever-popular “Seatbelt.” With the dance floor again quickly filled, the group continued the party with tunes from Joan Jett and Rick Springfield, before launching into Ozzy’s “Crazy Train.” The group then threw a curve at the audience by veering into Garth Brooks’ “Friends In Low Places;” before veering back towards terse metal with the original tune “For Dead” and the Jamie-fronted version of Pantera’s “Walk.” Then another curve, as Goody teased more metal but the band kicked into Jimmy Buffett’s “Margaritaville” to close out the set. But as usual with this group, Pellegrine’s wasn’t allowing Backstreet Law to end it just yet, and wanted one more. Backstreet Law answered the encore demands with one of their own tunes to finish the night, “Shake.”

It was typical Backstreet Law rocking fun, with a large contingent of fans riveted to the stagefront area to dance and take it all in. Backstreet Law continued to deliver their song repertoire with a tight, near nonstop pace, lots of stage movement and excitement, and their trademark big concert-styled production. A good night, and an appropriate exclamation point on the end of another weekend.

Jeremy Edge and Goody of Backstreet Law.

Mike “Choke” Oakley of Backstreet Law.

Jeremy Edge of Backstreet Law.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: