· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 9/26/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Jan 28, 2006 

WEEKEND RECAP 9/26/05

FAT VINNY @ THE BAR, ALTOONA 9/22/05

I decided to kick off this weekend by heading to The Bar to check out Fat Vinny's newly-launched solo acoustic venture.

It was a slow night at The Bar as I first arrived, with only a few patrons gathered around the bar and Bar main lady Kelly; with Fat Vinny up in the nosebleed upper level, preparing to serenade some empty seats. I procured a glass of Pottsville-brewed lager and proceeded through the crush of air molecules to an available seat.

Vinny brandished his acoustic guitar and started into his first song. A smile emerged on my mug as I realized the song was "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life," from the crucifixion scene in Monty Python's The Life Of Brian. Obviously, as advertised, Fat Vinny was going to do things a little bit differently. Vinny then broke out a version of the jazz/blues standard, "Ain't Misbehavin,'" Billy Joel's "Goodnight Saigon," and back to the Monty Python lexicon for "The Universe Song." Fat Vinny then got to one of his own, "Just Some Things," from his new album with the Wiseguys, Tight Play. Then another interesting twist, as Fat Vinny broke out a version of Billy Vera & the Beaters' hit ballad "At This Moment," followed by a Tom Waits number, "Make It Rain." Another audience member who stepped up to observe the performance asked Fat Vinny to do "something with attitude." After Fat Vinny pondered for a moment, he answered the request with Bob Seger's "Sunspot Baby," to the delight of the requester. Vinny then pulled out another totally unexpected number from left field, Randy Newman's "Political Science," before closing out the show with, of all things, a Green Day number - "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)."

Needless to say, the Fat Vinny solo acoustic show is quite a departure from the Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys group show. But it is a departure in a good way, as Vinny reveals a few more of the interests and influences that help shape his complex musical personality; and in the process performs songs you are not likely to hear from anyone else on area stages. Monty Python, Tom Waits, Randy Newman, Billy Vera, Green Day and Jelly Roll Morton aren't likely to coexist on anyone else's set list in this neck of the woods or anywhere else; but Fat Vinny did them all, and made it work. According to Vinny, the acoustic show will incorporate a mixture of established crowd-pleasing favorites and the unexpected, allowing him to keep audiences happy, as well as enlighten them to a few other artists out there who they might not have yet considered.

Consistent with the humorous side of Vin's repertoire are signs he presents along the way - one an 'applause' sign to let audiences know when it is time to clap and cheer (considering how lethargic some audiences can be in this town, a good idea), and at set's and night's end, a 'thank you' sign.

For me, Fat Vinny's solo venture offers a fresh alternative and perspective, a sense of humor and more on area stages, and it will be interesting to see what other avenues Fat Vinny chooses to explore as this new solo venture continues to develop.

Fat Vinny, with a reminder to Altoona audiences of the proper protocol after a performer finishes a song.

Fat Vinny, flying solo.

Fat Vinny, showing his appreciation to those who stuck around.

GIN & JUICE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 9/22/05

With time remaining to indulge more live music happenings this night, I headed across town to City Limits to catch the latter stages of Gin & Juice's weekly Thursday jam-a-thon.

It was a relatively routine Thursday night; with Dustin, Travis, Brian and Kyle entertaining a small gathering of fans with jam-based sounds. Phish and Grateful Dead were again prominent themes of this show. I wound up shooting the bull with City Limits main man Claudio and some patrons at the bar, and the only song title I thought to write down was the Dead's "Shakedown Street." And so it goes.

FAYTED @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 9/23/05

I returned to City Limits this night to observe the progress of Saxton-based rockers Fayted since I first saw them a few months ago at The Warehouse in Bedford.

I was pleasantly surprised (and I'm sure City Limits main man Claudio was, too) to see a large representation of Saxton Nation, in the house to support their hometown rockers during their visit to the 'Toona. Fayted made it worth their fans' roadtrip, delivering an entire night of energized rock'n'roll.

As I arrived early in Fayted's first set, the group was performing a song from their debut CD, The Aftermath, the anthemic album-opener "Keep Smilin.'" Singer Josh Lockard, lead guitarist Kenton Sitch, rhythm guitarist Ron Horton, bassist Larry Bishop and drummer Zac Grace proceeded to mix original rockers, current and classic rock favorites. After Seven Mary Three's "umbersome," Fayted performed another original from the CD, "Midnight Drive," and continued to rapidly build momentum with renditions of Neil Young's "Rocking In The Free World" and Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer," with Josh and Kenton making a table and the main bar their stage. The dance floor stayed busy as Fayted did the bluesy "Blame Yourself" from their CD, and rocked the house with tunes from John Mellencamp, Collective Soul, Pearl Jam, Guns'N'Roses and more. The dance floor crowd kept getting more festive and crazier as well, and soon an inflatable male appendage started bouncing around the dance floor. Yes, it was turning into a Friday night party at City Limits!

After a 25-minute intermission, Fayted returned for their second and final set; final, as they didn't take a second intermission, and kept the party going nonstop through to the end of the night! City Limits' dance floor immediately filled back up during the set-opening rendition of Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me," and the party was back on from there! Soon the inflatable penis was back and bouncing around the crowd, as Fayted fired through favorites from John Mellencamp, Bryan Adams, Nickelback, The Clarks, Loggins & Messina, Green Day, Velvet Revolver, Live, Beastie Boys, Ugly Kid Joe and many more. Fayted dropped more of their original tunes from the album in along the way; "Senoritaville," "Too Late," "Crystal Creature" and more. This party got wilder and crazier as it went along, with band members constantly platooning on and off between the stage, dance floor and City Limits environs; and the dance floor participants and the inflatable appendage bouncing around like sugared-up gradeschoolers. Into the homestretch, Fayted kept the party raging with Weezer's "Beverly Hills," Sublime's "What I Got," Puddle Of Mudd's "he Hates Me," a slow and swaggering take on the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues;" and for the encore you knew was coming at the end of the night, an audience singalong rendition of Guns'N'Roses' "Paradise City."

What a fun blowout party! Fayted delivered a hard-rocking, hard-partying good time from start to finish. Their performance was solid throughout, their tempo charged and their mood energetic and enthusiastic. Instrumentally Fayted was on the mark, they performed with confidence and swagger, and kept the crowd fired up with their enthusiasm and antics. Definitely this band’s onstage party is coming together by leaps and bounds, and this night showed me that Fayted is ready to conquer regional stages. Hell, a hundred wild and crazy Saxtonians can’t be wrong!

Larry Bishop of Fayted.

Kenton Sitch of Fayted.

Again, Larry Bishop of Fayted.

Ron Horton of Fayted.

Again, Kenton Sitch of Fayted.

Josh Lockard of Fayted.

Zac Grace of Fayted.

Fayted, bringing their rocking party to City Limits’ stage.

Fayted’s party continues.

Ron Horton, Larry Bishop and Kenton Sitch of Fayted.

Fayted, keeping City Limits’ dance floor busy.

Zac Grace of Fayted.

Josh Lockard of Fayted sings to the dance floor crowd.

Again, Zac Grace of Fayted.

Swapping off and playing bass, Ron Horton of Fayted as the dance party continues.

A crowded dance floor parties down to Fayted.

Besides Fayted, the inflatable penis was getting a lot of attention on the dance floor this night as well.

RACHEL ALLEN/ZUPE @ POTATOFEST, EBENSBURG 9/24/05

This was going to be one busy, music-packed Saturday for me. I had at least four events on the schedule I wanted to check out, including two motorcycle run post parties, and the official Altoona debut performance of the Tony Mollick Project later this night. But first, my day of music commenced in Ebensburg, the setting for the annual Potatofest.

In past years, Potatofest was always held on the first Saturday in October. However, more often than not, the first day in October provided an unpredictable cavalcade of weather happenings. Some days would be sunny and warm, other days would be cloudy and cold, and yet other days saw snow, sleet and freezing rain. In addition, the first Saturday in October found Potatofest competing and conflicting with other festival events, including Altoona’s Railfest, Cresson Heritage Days, the annual Pennsylvania Giant Pumpkin Growers Association’s Pumpkin Weigh-Off and more. Citing the above reasons, Potatofest organizers moved the event up a week to the final Saturday in September.

While enjoying potato-based foodstuffs was one attraction of this event, live music was another. As I parked down the hill and walked my way up to High Street, Johnstown songstress Rachel Allen was in the latter stages of her performance. I stood and took in her final three songs, the traditional spiritual “Wade In The Water,” the bluegrass standard “Roll In My Sweet Baby’s Arms,” and Arlo Guthrie’s “City Of New Orleans” to close out the performance. Again, I arrived too late to see Rachel do anything from her CD Almost There; but what I did witness from her sounded good, as her voice was clear and powerful as she strummed her acoustic guitar.

Rachel Allen, performing at Ebensburg’s Potatofest.

Once again, Rachel Allen.

After Rachel Allen’s performance concluded, I only had to move a hundred feet or so to take in the next performer, Zupe, who was setting up his gear in the gazebo at the corner of High and Center Streets. Zupe was obviously elated, as the sun was shining – a big difference from last year, when his set was cut way short by a sudden torrential downpour. Zupe soon struck up his digital “band,” and donned his trumpet to open his performance with a polka, giving his opening monologue along the way and expressing appreciation to the skies for cooperating with him this day. Singing, playing keys and trumpet, Zupe then continued to perform a wide variety of material, spanning rock and roll to jazz to polkas and more. Passers-by applauded and watched as Zupe fired through such classics as Elvis’ “All Shook Up” and Roy Orbison’s “Oh Pretty Woman,” Bobby Troup’s “Route 66;” the “Pennsylvania Polka” and “Too Fat Polka,” “God Bless America,” Billy Strayhorn’s “Take the ‘A’ Train,” Jimmy Buffett’s “Margaritaville,” Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl,” the Righteous Brothers’ “Unchained Melody” and more. This was a fun performance, no doubt assisted by cooperative weather conditions for a change.

Zupe breaks out the trumpet early in his Potatofest performance.

Armed with his trumpet, keyboards and digital ‘band,’ Zupe.

I’m not sure if these were the official Potatofest mascots, or potato druids…

After taking in about 40 minutes of Zupe’s performance, I had to depart Potatofest, because the second event on my schedule of live music happenings this day was happening a few miles eastward near Cresson, and would be getting underway in the 1 PM hour…

BANDITOS/WEDNESDAY NIGHT GROUP @ “THUNDER FOR HEATHER” BENEFIT, CRESSON SPORTSMEN’S CLUB, CRESSON 9/24/05

I’ve written about Heather Mallory before, as a benefit concert was organized for her in late summer of last year after a car accident left her paralyzed from the neck down. Heather, the daughter of area musician John Mallory, has made major progress in the year since the accident, and has regained much of the use of her upper body. The first-ever “Thunder for Heather” benefit was organized, a combination motorcycle run and concert, to raise funds to pay for Molecular Magnetizing Energizing Therapy, a new and experimental therapy where huge magnets are used to stimulate cellular regeneration in the brain stem; hopefully paving the way for Heather to someday be able to walk again.

“Thunder for Heather” started with a motorcycle run, and the run’s terminus was the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club. I arrived just before the riders did, and watched as the bikers made their entrance. There were food and refreshments available at the post-party, as well as motorcycle games and live music.

Musically, Banditos kicked off the afternoon. This would be the first of two different Banditos line-ups I would see in action this day. Singer/guitarist Wally Archer, bassist/singer Bill Nusom, lead guitarist Phil Wagner and drummer Dave Russell kicked off their first set with ZZ Top’s “Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers,” triggering a performance that mixed current and classic hard rocking favorites. Banditos rocked through the first set with tunes from the Who, Fuel, Buckcherry, Foo Fighters, Velvet Revolver, Incubus, Steppenwolf, John Mellencamp, Stone Temple Pilots, Hootie & the Blowfish, and to end the set, the group’s title song, the Refreshments’ “Banditos.”

A nice collection of motorcycles was parked in the lot at the “Thunder for Heather” post-party got under way.

The ride completed, folks kick back and enjoy music and camaraderie at the “Thunder for Heather” benefit.

Phil Wagner of Banditos.

Wally Archer of Banditos.

Dave Russell of Banditos.

During the intermission, motorcycle games took place on the grass. First was mixed pairs drink serving, as two riders maneuvered their machines with women sitting on back, holding drink trays with glasses of water. The first rider to complete the course without spilling the drink tray won. There was also the weiner grab, as riders maneuvered their bikes underneath hot dogs suspended from above, with their passengers having to grab the hot dogs with their mouths. And there was the beer keg push, as riders rolled and guided empty kegs, using the front wheels of their machines. This was the first time I had ever witnessed games like this, it was fun!

Let the motorcycle games begin…

Waitressing, biker style.

The beer keg roll.

Roll out the barrel...

The other side plot of the afternoon for me was Penn State football. After winning their first three home games against relatively weak teams (sans South Florida in the opener, they made it to a bowl game), Penn State was on the road to face their first stiff challenge, Big Ten opponent Northwestern. I kept running back to my car to check in with the game on the radio. Penn State was trailing through much of the game, but I found myself firmly riveted to my car radio for the final minutes, as quarterback Michael Robinson engineered the Lions’ final drive for the come-from-behind touchdown in the last minute to win, 34-29. Passers-by and the folks at the entrance gate were probably wondering who the whack-job was in the parking area, hooting and hollering uncontrollably when the Lions punched in the winning score. Doing my journalistic duties, I relayed the final score to the stage for the Banditos to pass along.

Banditos commenced their second set as the motorcycle games continued on the lawn. The group continued to rock the happy crowd (with show beneficiary Heather Mallory in attendance with family and friends) with more rocking favorites from Collective Soul, Pink Floyd, Puddle Of Mudd, Godsmack, Tonic, Metallica, Doors, ZZ Top and more.

Bill Nusom of Banditos.

Banditos, providing musical thunder for Heather...

In good spirits and taking in the day with friends, show beneficiary Heather Mallory.

After the motorcycle games concluded, sumo wrasslin’ was on the bill at the “Thunder for Heather” benefit.

After Banditos finished, a group with a completely different musical flavor set up onstage. The Wednesday Night Group is a group of musical friends who get together at a nightspot location every Wednesday night, to jam and have fun on bluegrass and country sounds. Nine musicians took the stage with guitars, banjos, fiddles, and upright bass and percussion. Front and center was Totem singer/guitarist Perry Sheesley, who sang and plucked the banjo strings this day. John Mallory was also on the stage, strumming acoustic guitar. The Wednesday Night Group performed lots of bluegrass standards and favorites, including “Rollin In My Sweet Baby’s Arms” (I never imagined when I woke up this morning that I’d hear this song performed twice in the same day!), “Man of Constant Sorrow,” “Rocky Top,” “Liza Jane,” “Shady Grove” and more. The bluegrass and rural-flavored sounds went over well with the crowd, who responded with applause and toes tapping to the music under the pavilion where I was seated. The Wednesday Night Group sounded very good at what they did; instrumentally they blended well, and their vocal harmonies were bright. They seemed to be having a relaxed good time on the Cresson Sportsmen’s stage, kicking back and making music.

The Wednesday Night Group.

The upright bass player for the Wednesday Night Group.

Perry Sheesley of the Wednesday Night Group.

Fiddlin’ around with the Wednesday Night Group.

Once again, the Wednesday Night Group.

As the sun set and the Wednesday Night Group’s performance concluded, I departed the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club, and descended the mountain eastward on Route 22 to near Geeseytown, where my third live music-oriented event of the day was taking place.

HALF TEMPTED/BANDITOS @ JEFF SHOWALTER MEMORIAL RIDE POST-MOTORCYCLE RUN PARTY, CAMPBELL HILL REC ROOM, HOLLIDAYSBURG 9/24/05

Besides “Thunder For Heather,” another motorcycle run was happening this day in the area; the second annual Jeff Showalter Memorial Run, commemorating Jeff, a friend of the area music and motorcycle communities who lost his life in a motorcycle crash in April 2004. Proceeds from the motorcycle run and post-party – held at Blair County A.B.A.T.E.’s headquarters, the Campbell Hill Rec Room outside Geeseytown – would benefit the Jeff Showalter Memorial Scholarship Fund.

I arrived as Half Tempted was on break, and a huge crowd of ride participants and friends were in attendance. Within a few minutes, Half Tempted fired the music back up, starting their set of classic rocking favorites with Drivin’n’Cryin’s “Fly Me Courageous,” and instantly several revelers made their way forward to dance in front of the stage. Singer/guitar man Ron Dalansky, bass man “Big Jim” Ricotta and drum man Steve McCulley continued with Brownsville Station’s “Smokin’ in The Boy’s Room,” before bringing up a guest, Denise “Weezie” Neely, to belt out lead voice on AC/DC’s “Whole Lotta Rosie (Weezie).” This actually turned into an AC/DC triple-shot, as ‘Weezie’ and Half Tempted followed with “You Shook Me All Night Long” and “Highway to Hell,” interrupted briefly as the heads of the Blair County and Cambria County A.B.A.T.E. chapters announced results and prize winners from the earlier motorcycle run. The group then performed Kiss’ “Detroit Rock City,” before welcoming another guest, Anne, up to belt out her a capella rendition of Janis Joplin’s “Mercedes Benz.” More upbeat rock and roll continued with 3 Doors Down’s “Kryptonite,” Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny” and Deep Purple’s “Smoke On The Water.” Then another pause in the music for the most anticipated moment of the evening for the male populace on the grounds, the cleavage-bearing contest. Several willing female volunteers removed upper attire and made their cases for being selected by the crowd of mostly male onlookers. A winner was selected (I’ll not name names, but the winner is a rather well-known, well-endowed, and now well-known for being well-endowed, member of the local bartending community), and Half Tempted concluded their performance with a celebratory rendition of Kiss’ “Rock and Roll All Nite.”

Serving double-duty with two bands, “Big Jim” Ricotta of Half Tempted.

Steve McCulley of Half Tempted.

Drawing some dancers to the front of the stage, Half Tempted.

With Denise “Weezie” Neely singing lead, Half Tempted.

Again, Half Tempted.

Half Tempted poses with a fan.

No, this wasn’t the cleavage contest, this was dancers getting crazy to Half Tempted.

This was the cleavage contest, and the winning contestant (those who were in attendance know who this person is); hey, you’re not supposed to be looking at her face anyway, lol!

At this point, the changeover between bands, as Half Tempted broke down their gear and Banditos – performing with a different roster from earlier in the day at “Thunder For Heather” – set up their gear. For “Big Jim” Ricotta, it was a matter of switching things over from bass to guitar and keys, as Jim was playing rhythm guitar and keys for Banditos. This would be a reunion of the original Banditos line-up; besides “Big Jim,” Wally Archer and Bill Nusom on vocals/guitar and bass/vocals respectively, Darrell Ruzzi was playing lead guitar, and Kevin Siegel the drums. I went and procured some food from the kitchen area, and procured a spot at a picnic table in front of the stage area to watch Banditos’ set.

Banditos kicked off their set with Collective Soul’s “Shine,” and dedicated it in memory of Jeff Showalter. Banditos proceeded to again mix classic and current rock favorites, doing songs by Styx, Lynyrd Skynyrd, John Mellencamp, Fuel, the Who, ZZ Top, Buckcherry, Eagles, Velvet Revolver and more. As the other Banditos line-up sounded earlier in the day, this one was equally solid, keeping the rock charged and exciting, and triggering frequent dance action in front of the stage. The group continued with the funky fusion of Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music” into the Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle,” and continued with Grand Funk Railroad’s “Some Kind Of Wonderful,” Violent Femmes” “Blister In The Sun,” Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ On a Prayer,” and the Bill-fronted rendition of the Allman Brothers’ “Soulshine” to bring the performance to intermission.

The original Banditos, reuniting for the Jeff Showalter Memorial benefit.

Serving double-duty on rhythm guitar and keys, “Big Jim” Ricotta of Banditos.

Once again, Banditos.

At this point, I departed the post-party, as I had yet a fourth live music event to check out this day...

TONY MOLLICK PROJECT @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 9/24/05

It was just after 11 PM Bar Standard Time as I departed the Campbell Hill site and proceeded back into the ‘Toona. I headed to Burgi’s Roundhouse, to catch the official Altoona debut performance of Pittsburgh’s Tony Mollick Project (T.M.P. for short).

The first thing I noticed as I arrived at Burgi’s this night was the new stage. T.M.P. was putting that stage to use, and was nearing the end of their second set as I procured a booth a short distance away. Singer/guitarist/namesake Tony Mollick, bassist/Altoona native John “Fuzzy” McGirk and drummer David Blake were playing one of Tony’s original numbers, the lightly funky “That’s All Right,” before finishing out the set with Fleetwood Mac/Santana’s “Black Magic Woman.”

A respectable crowd was still in the house at this point (because Burgi’s is a restaurant and their clientele tends to be slightly older, the crowd is usually bigger earlier in the night, and tapers off as the restaurant crowd and older fans depart for the evening), and they seemed to be appreciating T.M.P.’s efforts thus far. Several fans went to the stage to chat with Tony and the group, and a few appeared to be purchasing copies of the group’s recently-released debut CD, Blues Catharsis.

T.M.P. soon returned to the stage for their nightcap set, commencing with Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Couldn’t Stand the Weather.” The trio continued with a crisp and powerful set of blues-based hard rock; next was an interesting and unexpected selection, Gov’t Mule’s “Rocking Horse,” followed by Cream’s “Politician.” Tony then introduced something from deep in the ‘back of the rack,’ Cactus’ “Brother Bill.” After picking up the tempo with AC/DC’s “Beating Around the Bush,” T.M.P. did another tune from the Blues Catharsis album, “Make It Right,” which inspired some dance action atop Burgi’s main bar. The group followed with ZZ Top’s “Arrested for Driving While Blind,” B.B. King’s “The Thrill Is Gone” and Chuck Berry’s “Nadine,” before closing out the night with one more original number from the album, “Sweet Sister.”

As I expected, T.M.P.’s performance was strong. Tony Mollick took charge from the get-go, his soulful growl and scorching guitarwork constantly staying front and center. Fuzzy and David backed Tony with rock-solid, in-the-pocket rhythms; all performed with confidence, soulfulness and swagger. Burgi’s seemed to enjoy it, as the dance floor became active a few times during the set, and applause after each song was constant.

The Tony Mollick Project’s Burgi’s debut was a successful one, and according to Burgi’s main man Chuck, we can expect to see more T.M.P. appearances on Burgi’s stage in the months ahead.

Tony Mollick of T.M.P., the Tony Mollick Project.

John “Fuzz” McGirk of the Tony Mollick Project.

The Tony Mollick Project, rocking down Burgi’s.

BROWNTOWN @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 9/24/05

Tony Mollick Project’s performance at Burgi’s ended at 1 AM. I chatted with Tony briefly, and we planned on hooking up for breakfast after the show at King’s (6th Ave.). But the group had to tear down their gear first. The group agreed to meet me over at King’s at around 2 AM. So I had an hour to kill. Between Burgi’s and King’s, I decided to stop in at the 4D’s Lounge, to catch what was left of Browntown’s performance. Five live music events in one day, what kind of madman am I?

Which turned out to be nearly a full set’s worth of entertainment! Browntown was well into their funky dance party as I arrived, and performing Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean.” This 9-piece ensemble was laying down the funk thick and heavy, continuing with Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music” and the Commodores’ “Brick House.” The group entered into a funk/hip-hop medley with sax man Tyrone Fredericks, Jr. providing the raps; this passage nicely incorporated the Knight Rider television show theme. Browntown continued with Cake’s “The Distance,” a reggae-flavored take on Van Morrison’s “Brown-Eyed (Brown-Town) Girl,” and Kool & the Gang’s “Jungle Boogie,” showcasing an impressive bass solo display by Kyle Yankowy. Then the finale, as Browntown brought down the house with their funky and horn-driven read of Europe’s “The Final Countdown;” highlighted with the band members’ raised-fist salute to guitarist Mike Cusanno’s midsong solo.

Although I only got to see about 40 minutes of music, I was again very impressed by what I witnessed from Browntown. This band brings the maximum funk party, ‘nuff said! Browntown lays down seamless grooves, always kept interesting with arrangements that continually shift attention between different parts of the band. The horn section of Tyrone Fredericks, Jr., trumpet men Matt Cochran and Dustin Shirk and baritone sax man Trevor Davis platoon in and out to contribute tasty blasts of brass, intertwined with Mike Cusanno’s guitar leads, Dave Mattock’s keys, dazzling rhythms from Kyle Yankowy and drummer Marques Walls; fronted by singer Steve Kell as lead voice and master of ceremonies. Enter neat choreography and unexpected fun twists and turns, and the results are an electrifying, entertaining funk party that has to be experienced to be believed!

I only wish I could have caught Browntown’s entire show. But based on the steady crowds and response this eastern PA-based group has received thus far, it’s safe to predict I’ll have more opportunities to catch full nights of Browntown in these parts! And I highly recommend you check them out the next time they’re over this way, you’ll definitely not be disappointed!

It’s a hot party with Browntown at the 4D’s Lounge.

Dave Mattock of Browntown.

Matt Cochran and Tyrone Fredericks, Jr. of Browntown.

Mike Cusanno of Browntown, being saluted by his bandmates in the fog during “The Final Countdown.”

MICK & THE MYSTICS @ HARVESTFEST, DELGROSSO’S AMUSEMENT PARK, TIPTON 9/25/05

Back to the festival scene this afternoon for me, as I headed to Delgrosso’s Park’s annual “Harvestfest,” the swan song event at the park every year before it closes for the season. “Harvestfest” features food, arts, crafts, and various entertainment, including at least a few musical performers. On the schedule for this day was Mick & the Mystics from the State College area.

To be honest, this group was good at what they did, but I would have been better entertained watching paint dry. This performance was about as plain as plain can get! Mick & the Mystics, fronted by the husband and wife team of Mick and Terri Dennis, played a blend of 50’s and 60’s era standards from Patsy Cline, the Beatles, the Shirelles, the Drifters and more. They mixed in a little light jazz and blues as well.

Perhaps I was a little tired from my five-event marathon from the day before. But this band did not excite me. While part of it may have been fatigue on my end, definitely some of it was lack of punch on their end as well; the sound mix didn’t favor the group’s drummer at all, and his beats were barely audible. But in addition, this group lacked any soul or pizazz; especially evidenced by their muzak rendition of The Champs’ “Tequila,” and Terri’s plain and soul-less treatment of Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee;” if you’re going to sing Janis Joplin, put some damned heart into it! The mostly older audience seated before the stage even seemed to be nodding off. Again, Mick & the Mystics weren’t bad at what they did, at least they could play their instruments and their vocals were tuneful. But as dry and plain performances go, this one was one step above elevator muzak. I was bored!

After fighting back yawns for the 30-40 minutes I watched this band, I stood up and left the stage area, taking in the crafts, sights and sounds of “Harvestfest.” I took in the annual Civil War re-enactment, as part of the encampment that takes place every year at this event. And I watched part of Dennie Huber’s show, as he entertained the wee ones with balloon art, games and jokes.

Not the most exciting “Harvestfest” I’ve ever been to…But it at least gave me a good excuse to be outdoors and enjoying a crisp autumn day, and one last go-round at Delgrosso’s Park before they closed their doors for the winter.

Mike & the Mystics, giving less than a mystifying performance at Harvestfest. Yawn.

Dennie Huber, entertaining the youngsters at Harvestfest.

Once again, Dennie Huber.

IN @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/25/05

After putting in a late Sunday evening at the workplace doing “Backyard Rocker” duties, I headed to Pellegrine’s to end the weekend, with In supplying the tunes.

A disturbingly light crowd was in attendance at Pellegrine’s as I arrived early into In’s final set of the night. Pelly’s staff and management pondered the light crowds in recent weeks, wondering if it was just general crowd malaise, or perhaps the after-effects of the recent UVA shootings, possible scaring a few folks out of going out on the weekends.

In any case, In partied down with the folks who were there, and had a dance party going with tunes from Motley Crue, the Matt Day-fronted rendition of AC/DC’s “Big Balls,” a hip-hop medley, Marilyn Manson’s take on “Personal Jesus,” the Sweet’s “Ballroom Blitz,” Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle,” Living Colour’s “Cult of Personality,” and to end the night, Cracker’s “Low.”

In sounded tight as always, and kept the energy level high. Greg Locke motivated the dance floor participants to keep moving and grooving, and Matt Day dazzled with his guitar pyrotechnics; backed by the solid rhythms from bassist Adam Zimmer and drummer Josh Hetrick.

Although attendance was disappointing, In themselves were not, and it was still a good rocking close to a busy weekend.

Josh Hetrick of In.

Matt Day of In.

Again, Josh Hetrick of In.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: