46%  [ 13 ]
The Reason
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

bassist_25

Post Posted: Sunday Mar 20, 2005 

Hey everyone,

We occasionally get the troll here, and I always admit that it's a good time watching some know-it-all get their ass handed to them. So who was your favorite RP troll? Just to refresh your memory....

Aja was the martyred singer who despite her educational pedigree (she was a student at Berkely, and she made that known multiple times) believed that misogyny was holding her back from pursuing a career in music. She was quite offended when John offered to let her set-in on his acoustic act instead of a "full blown metal show with distorted guitars". She even accused some of the female posters of being subservient to men. She officially had her ass handed to her when Dwert posted a thread parodying her original whine.

Metal-Rules was a failed songwriter who spent countless hours deconstructing and rewriting successful hit songs. He even went as far as to rewrite a local band's song. Metal-Rules had the uncanny knack of not seeing the forest through the trees (as he did by dismissing the Fibonacci Sequence in Tool's Lateralus, and instead bitched about how the structure of the lyrics went against the nonconformist message of the words, whatever the hell he meant by that) and often loved to nitpick about "time-frame problems" in songs. He runs a message board where he feeds his ego by ripping apart lyrics submitted by very bad amatuer songwriters.

The Reason was a guy pissed off about the fact that many cover bands were having success while his garage band from Philipsburg went nowhere. He tried to come off as an intellectual, but unfortunatley his philosophical ponderings had so many holes in them they made the Cosmological Argument sound fool-proof. He would often change his user name in an attempt to be witty, but after reading the first five words of his hackeyed psuedo-Sartre posts it was easy to figure out who it was.

BTW, I voted for Metal-Rules.
ToonaRockGuy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Mar 21, 2005 

The Reason, since it got personal. Twisted Evil
Punkinhead
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Metal Rules, since everything he said was in his mind justified by his Berklee education. And because he would say one thing then when you rebuttled it, would recant and say he never said it. Also because some of the fights with him were a little more intelligent. I wasn't around for the Reason but Aja just kept yelling that we were all wife beating women suppressing lunatics.
ToonaRockGuy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

We aren't??? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Gotta vote for AJA, that was a hilarious thing going on there, it was better than any TV show could ever be
esa
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Mar 22, 2005 

Aja...because I was a dumb quiff for allowing the "men" here to talk to me in such ways...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday May 03, 2005 

I voted MetalRules, because I witnessed this clown in action on another local music message board and saw him get his ass handed to him there. I saw this troll coming when he first registered and posted an ad for his songwriting board a month or two before "MetalRules" showed up. And I've checked in on his songwriting board website since his episodes here, and people are even attacking and questioning his integrity on his own board; it's hilarious reading!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
byndrsn
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jim Price wrote:
I voted MetalRules, because I witnessed this clown in action on another local music message board and saw him get his ass handed to him there. I saw this troll coming when he first registered and posted an ad for his songwriting board a month or two before "MetalRules" showed up. And I've checked in on his songwriting board website since his episodes here, and people are even attacking and questioning his integrity on his own board; it's hilarious reading!

Come on JP, don't leave us hanging - give us a link so we can all enjoy it!!!
Cool
Jim Price

Here it is; under "General Chat," a few intelligent posters are making a total fool out of him. There might be some pop-up windows with this (I know that was a problem before for some folks):

http://www.geocities.com/grimessongwritingboard/

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Post Posted: Saturday May 07, 2005 

Oh God, this thread is freakin' halirious.

These guys are great. I picture two losers who have never played a gig in their lives, sitting around critiquing music because they haven't the talent to write or perform their own.

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=519935&CategoryID=233433&startcat=1&ThreadID=2037663
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sunday May 08, 2005 

OMFUG. This has to be the quote of the year:

"All I ask is that you be a MOZART and be as flawless as you can."

Bwahahahahahahh!
songsmith

Has anyone noticed a common thread among these dillholes? Each was convinced they were somehow beyond us. Like a bad American Idol episode (and I positively hate referring to that show), they had taken the adulation of their moms and girlfriends to mean they were playing at a much higher level than was the reality.

This is why, people, this is why you PAY THEM #@*&!-king DUES! So you know the difference between your ego and what your audience sees, so you can get over yourself and create music as art instead of self-flattering masturbation.

Aja knew she was awesome, she had a piece of paper that said so. It HAD to be that sweaty hairy men were creating a glass ceiling, despite the obvious point that the Billboard charts were predominately female at the time, and local music positively clamors for female muso's.
MetalRules knew he was in possession of THE formula for popular songwriting, despite never actually having a song be successful. I'm rather familiar with songcraft, and I consider a good "keeper" song as an incredible blessing of good fortune, a gift from the ether. MetalRules indeed had the secret to a formulaic song... and nobody really likes those.
The Reason... man, I loved that kid. I WAS him once, except I didn't physically threaten anyone at that age. He was awesome because his Mommy said he was. The neighborhood kids said he was. He's a rebel, Katie, a fighter. I pointed out to him my timetable for success at his age: record deal next year, headlining tour in two years. Yeah, that's realistic. As far as I know, a couple years down the pike, and he's no longer playing in bands...NOOOO!!! Wink YOU"RE KIDDING ME! Wink

We're a pretty tight-knit group here, I know of no other group online who functions as a collective group quite the same way we do. We bust chops, alright, (again, I apologize, G-Willikers, I truly do not believe you are a troll, but Woofy, I believe you are) but we also come together to support our own in a way not often seen. Our members support other acts and venues, collaborate musically and socially, and we are a valuable contribution to our community-at-large, despite the fact that few outside our group truly know or care about that.

Three or four trolls in three or four years... not a bad average, my friends.--------->JMS
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Awesome and well thought-out post as always, John. But there's especially one thing I want to highlight.

songsmith wrote:

This is why, people, this is why you PAY THEM #@*&!-king DUES! So you know the difference between your ego and what your audience sees, so you can get over yourself and create music as art instead of self-flattering masturbation.

Sometimes I know I might come off as a little high minded when it comes to performing, and it has nothing to do with my own percieved skills as a player or the success (or lack there of) of the bands I've been involved with. It comes from having my ass kicked by the music industry. I see a lot of younger players (and I'm considered quite young myself, by all accounts) who think they have it all figured out. They often think that their garage band is the shit, and they are just going to waltz into these gigs and kick ass just because their friends think they are awesome. They don't realize what it takes to be tight, put on a good show, sing those harmonies in key, write well-crafted music (if playing originals), negotiate with the venue oweners, ect. I kind of have this aura of "Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and the gift photo along with the preferred customer 10% discount". I'm not trying to generalize all young players as being totally niave, but many who don't have serious REAL WORLD gigging experience have some of these delusions. I'm also not saying I'm better than anyone else because "I've been there and done that".

You're right though; there's definatley a sort of unspoken respect between musicians here. We might be involved in different projects and play different styles of music, but we've all been through the same shit, whether it's band members with egos; club owners trying to stiff us at the end of the night; improvising by singing through our amps because the PA went down; or trying to find our way to the gig because the band van broke down.

There's definatley a certain mystique that comes with how rough our occupation is. Very Happy

Didn't mean to go off on a tangent.
YankeeRose
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Jan 30, 2006 

Right on, Joe. I'd Vote for which ever Troll was here the least amount of time.

PEACE,
Donna

www.habitat.org www.unicef.org www.savethechildren.org
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Viewer Polls
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: