· The Forums
· The Final Cut
Group to change PLCB regulations #1
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
Big Jim

Post Posted: Wednesday Feb 01, 2006 

I want to give some thoughts on the first meeting about the P.L.C.B:

1. I was disappointed with the turnout. About 25 people there, 3 or 4 non-musicians. Rockpage has had over 1600 signups (I know some are the same person (LOL) or are no longer active). I'm sure that 100 or so members are on here daily. In fact, 65 bands updated their page in the past week (since 1/25). We need to act NOW. Please try to be at the next meeting on Sunday, Feb 12, 5pm at Magoos.

2. One bar owner has spoken with Senator Wozniack about the problem and has an "open door" to do so again, leading to Congressional discussion. The P.L.C.B. regulations are subject to review this year (late spring or summer). We have a short time to organize, agree on actions, and implement them. We need to act NOW.

3. The problem is that the current regulation is vague and does not allow ANY SOUND to be heard outside the door of the bar/club. It is all at the discretion or the P.L.C.B. or police officer. There does NOT need to be a complaint. There is NO level of volume to measure. You get shut down & the bar gets a fine.

4. We want there to be a specific volume level that can be measured and if possible, a distance to measure from the front door (still on the business property). There is no way that there can be zero sound immediately outside the door of most clubs.

Here's what we want to do:

1. Clearly express the vagueness and impossibility to comply with the current regulation.

2. Agree on the specific changes we would like to see (an actual volume level, perhaps warnings for first offense, etc.). The wording is extremely important.

3. Provide the key information needed for everyone to create a self-written letter or two to send to your legislators. This is an election year, so a large group of letters will get attention. Again, we have a legislator waiting to hear from us, but we can't take 2 or 3 months to get around to it. So get ready to write a letter or two if you want things to happen.

4. It was discussed that "form letters", petitions, copied letters signed by different persons, are of no value. We need as many of you as possible (all of you), and your families, friends, fans, co-workers etc. to write one or two. We will provide names & addresses of the legislators in your area and what you generally want to say in your letter.

Again, this all needs done in the next 2 months. Then, after our first success, the organization can expand throughout the state, continue to "monitor" the P.L.C.B. and address any other issues. One I can think of is that persons under 18 years cannot perform in a place that is licensed to serve alcohol. We've discussed that before, and we can do something about it. But one small step at a time.

If we are unsuccessful in the next 2 months, we can probably close the book on any P.L.C.B. changes, and things will probably get worse. I hate to be so blunt, but we need all of you with us.

Thanks to all who attended the first meeting. Everyone there had a great outlook, was attentive, prepared, and willing to offer what they can for the cause. We are off to a great start and I am fired up. Please don't let little things you may not be totally in agreement with split us. Let's stick together and get this done!!

Thank you for your time. Comments welcome.

Big Jim Ricotta
 Back to top »
HBSPro

Post Posted: Thursday Feb 02, 2006 

The Area im living now does not seem to have the same problem with the P.L.C.B as I have seen in that area. and it is a shame I lost a in house Gig Over Those guys with there so called noise Violations as im sure has been a topic here for A while. Its total Bullshit that there are no guide lines as to right and Wrong to This. As Tough as it is to get by these Days with alot of people working more then one job to support there families. They have to be aloud the right to enjoy there free time. not to be taken away by some ass saying (oh its to loud Standing with his ear next to the building ) so that he is able to Flex his Mussles by Writeing a 1000.00 Citation because he is a ass. What about the Car we have all Been Able to hear a 1/2 Mile Booming Down the street Before anyone can see it. Leave the Hard working People alone that are Paying for this ass to even have a job.
 Back to top »
bassist_25

*bump*

I think this is the first time I've ever purposely bumped a general forum topic. Very Happy
Jim Price

I checked with Robin at Pennsylvania Musician, and she is good with giving us some ad space to promote our organization and what we are doing. Just let me know what information you want me to include before Feb. 20, and I'll submit it.

I likely WON'T be able to attend the Feb. 12 meeting, as I have not just a guest for the "Backyard Rocker" that night, but now I also will be assembling a tribute to John Baker for that night's program. Since I'll be away on vacation until next Saturday night, next Sunday is the only day I have available to put the tribute together.

If somebody can take notes and let me know what transpires, I'd greatly appreciate it.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
morningangel

Post Posted: Friday Feb 03, 2006 

As this topic affects everyone and will be ongoing until it's resolved, I'd like to suggest the topic post be made into a sticky in the General Discussion Forum. Not sure who has to do that. Site Admistrator/Moderators? Also, the more attention this issue draws, the more attention the legistlators will pay to our requests. Just some ideas-

Can bands let their fans know at shows that live local music is endangered and what they need to do to help? Maybe mention it before shows, or between sets?

Also, is someone organizing media efforts? Rockpage itself has a lot of resources, with local radio talent like JP & Kevin. And The Underground TV and PA Musician could surely help get the word out. But other mediums need to be tapped to make the general public aware of the threat- letters to the editors of local newspapers, and eventually a couple feature newspaper articles, and local tv interviews.

While I'm normally as apathetic as possible, I'm a fan of live music, and this seems like a worthy cause. It's also made me realize that I need to REGISTER TO VOTE. Have you?

Let's BRAINSTORM.
 Back to top »
Jim Price

In the Altoona area, you can always call in to WRTA's morning "Talk Block" (9 AM - 11:45 AM) and bring it up as a topic. They were just discussing the state police yesterday (regarding the speeding crackdown). Not only would it reach listeners and the general public, but local politicos and area legislators listen in to it as well.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
HBSPro

The wording in the changes to this will be very important. I am Currently unable to find the So Called Title that the P.L.C.E is using to Cite this Violation. the only thing i can Find is Title 47 which is the liquor code.
but it does not state anything in there about this Problem.

If any one Remembers Joe Grushecky and the House Rockers from Pittsburgh Pa . There was a Member in that group who has been aa Attorney for a Number of Years. that Handles alot of this type of Violation. in that area I met Him once a few years back For a P.L.C.E Violation. It Takes alot of money to Fight these Guys.

If Someone could get ahold of Him, or if anyone knows Him personally Because he is a Old School Rocker It Might Worth Checking into.

Good Luck. And Dont Give Up.
 Back to top »
byndrsn
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I need to ask this - please don't think I am being ignorant or mean or anything.

I already know that this thread falls under "The Law" topic and not general discussion, but I know that most of the people on Rockpage visit the general discussion and I would bet that most do not come to this link. Since this is so important, couldn't this thread have remained in the general discussion area?

Again, Ron and JP, I'm not trying to upset either of you and I am sure one of you moved it - just asking the question. After reading this, please feel free to delete this post.

Thanks,
Urbs
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is were the topic belongs. I understand the importance of this, but it seems that everyone wants to separate the General Discussion forum into individual subforums, but still want to post everything in the General Discussion forum.

Besides, I marked the moved links, and they still go to the same area when clicked.
byndrsn
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Saturday Feb 04, 2006 

I understand.

I guess we need to educate people and get them to look in this area more often.

Thanks Ron!!
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: