· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 10/10/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Feb 19, 2006 

WEEKEND RECAP 10/10/05

WOOD-N-STRINGS @ THE BAR, ALTOONA 10/6/05

This weekend’s live music slate began for me at The Bar, where Wood-n-Strings was performing.

It was a regular low-key Thursday night at The Bar, with only a few folks in the house. Onstage, it was a different line-up of musicians performing under the Wood-n-Strings monicker. With Jeremy Nelson unavailable, Wood-n-Strings this night was comprised of singer/guitarist Dwane Edmiston, Cloud 9 drum man Tim Wilkins on congas, and another singer/guitarist by the name of Chuck.

The trio was performing as I arrived. With Dwane and Chuck exchanging lead singing duties, Wood-n-Strings performed a wide selection of material, picking and deciding on songs along the way. For a lady named Cheryl who was celebrating a birthday, the trio did the Beatles’ “Birthday.” Also performed were renditions of Rusted Root’s “Ecstasy,” Nilsson’s “Coconut,” Grateful Dead’s “Franklin’s Tower,” Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition” (with Dwane providing midsong scat-singing accompaniment), Elton John’s “Lucy In The Sky with Diamonds” (a trainwreck, but the three musicians were valiant in the attempt), the Stones’ “Paint It Black” and more.

This was a casual, relaxed performance, with the three players finding common ground on their song selection, kicking back and having fun. For having never performed together before, these three musicians did a decent job overall, and kept the small audience of onlookers entertained. In all, a pleasant, relaxed show.

A different edition of Wood-n-Strings, entertaining at The Bar.

Special guest Chuck, performing with Wood-n-Strings.

DENISE BALDWIN/THE NIGHTCRAWLERS @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 10/7/05

This Friday evening, I decided to do the doubleheader at Burgi’s Roundhouse, starting with the dinnertime performance of Denise Baldwin, and ending with the prime time show by The Nightcrawlers, making their Burgi’s debut.

Accomplice “Big Jim” Ricotta and I arrived during Denise’s first set, and procured a booth not far from the stage to do dinner while taking in Denise’s show. Almost immediately, we took note of Denise’s high-ranging and powerful voice, as she strummed her acoustic guitar and performed a mix of original songs and select cover material. During her first set, Denise sang such diverse tunes as Alanis Morisette’s “Hand in My Pocket,” Heart’s “Dog and Butterfly,” Natalie Imbruglia’s “Torn” and Rickie Lee Jones’ “Danny’s All Star Joint.” She also performed at least one original tune, “No Time to Lose.” Along the way, Denise chatted to the audience, coaxing response from them and poking a little bit of fun at herself along the way.

Denise opened her second set with a catchy and powerful original song, “Standing In The Rain,” from her recently-released five-song EP. Denise again performed an interesting selection of song material, including Carly Simon’s “That’s The Way I Always Heard It Should Be,” Melissa Etheridge’s “Come to My Window,” 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up” and more. Again, Denise’s strong, clear voice frequently stretched to the heavens.

Denise’s third set focused more on remakes, as she again performed an interesting selection of numbers. This time, we heard versions of U2’s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For,” Janis Joplin/Big Brother & the Holding Company’s “Piece Of My Heart,” Stevie Nicks’ “Edge of Seventeen,” Rod Stewart’s “The First Cut Is the Deepest,” Bryan Adams’ “Cuts Like A Knife” and more. Denise’s voice remained in top form, and her performance received more cheers from throughout Burgi’s. Denise’s performance made a convincing first impression on me; I’ll definitely be catching more of this lady’s shows when she visits the area.

Denise Baldwin, entertaining the dinner crowd at Burgi’s Roundhouse.

Again, Denise Baldwin.

One more time, Denise Baldwin.

After about a 30-minute break, The Nightcrawlers took to Burgi’s main stage to begin their show. Singer/guitarist Noah Figlin, keyboardist/flute player Aeb Byrne, bassist Jason Ebersole and drummer Steve Arnold again demonstrated superb musicianship and stylistic variety as they blended rock, blues, jazz and other elements into a wide-ranging, colorful sound. The Nightcrawlers played several original songs during this set, including “Lover’s Test” from their self-titled CD, a newer song called “Blue Silver” plus a few more. Their cover song selection provided several key highlights, including Aeb’s strong vocal display on Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee,” Noah’s incredible Robert Plant wail and Jimmy Page guitar histrionics on Led Zeppelin’s “Ramble On,” the group’s tasteful musicianship on Dire Straits’ “Sultans Of Swing,” and Noah unleashing some exciting guitar effects on Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick In The Wall” to end the set.

Although not a huge crowd at Burgi’s at this point, the audience that was present – including a number of off-duty musicians – cheered on The Nightcrawlers’ performance. As I observed this group’s diverse songlist and tasteful musicianship, it occurred to me how challenging it is for bands and artists to balance their need to please the crowd with the expected “hits,” and their wish to indulge their musicality and play material that is satisfying for them musically. The Nightcrawlers, through their soaring blend of classics and more diverse selections, seems to be a band that has achieved that balance, and enjoys the best of both worlds.

The Nightcrawlers started off their second set with Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition,” commencing another display showcasing a variety of sounds. After a reggae-flavored number, the group did their southwestern-flavored original tune, “Desert Sun,” followed by an excellent reworking of The Police’s “Roxanne,” taken to another dimension by Aeb’s colorful flute interlude. Other highlights during this set included versions of the Grateful Dead’s “Shakedown Street,” Men At Work’s “Down Under” and Aeb’s feisty read of Nancy Sinatra’s “These Boots,” before the group ended the set with their popular original, “African Echo.”

Once again, The Nightcrawlers dazzled with their talents; I again was floored by Noah’s mastery of guitar tone and use of tone and effects to shape the moods and textures of each song. Aeb’s flute work was equally amazing, and I also noted how cleanly and effortlessly Steve and Jason varied their rhythms and gearshifted between styles along the way. Once again The Nightcrawlers proved to me that they are one of the most talented and most adventurous bands around, and that every Nightcrawlers show is likely to convey a different mood and adventure on any given night.

After The Nightcrawlers’ second set, I left Burgi’s, as I had another band up the road I wanted to check in with this night.

The Nightcrawlers, making their Burgi’s debut.

Once again, The Nightcrawlers.

Aeb Byrne of The Nightcrawlers.

FIVE-2-ONE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 10/7/05

Up the road from Burgi’s, I stopped by City Limits to catch the latter stages of the first Altoona appearance by Indiana’s Five-2-One. Five-2-One is the current band home of former Mr. Yuk singer/guitarist Frank Johnson, who plays bass and sings here. Greg Jones sings lead, Joe Lassick and Larry DeMetro play guitars and John plays drums.

Not surprisingly, given a new band in Altoona on a Friday night, City Limits was sparsely populated as I arrived late during Five-2-One’s final set. The group performed the Rolling Stones’ “Honky Tonk Women,” followed by a drumbeat-heavy, hard-hitting take on the McCoys’ “Hang On Sloopy,” and the group’s night-ending version of Semisonic’s “Closing Time.”

While I only got to see three songs, what I saw was good. Five-2-One was solid on their instruments, and their vocals were good. The group also demonstrated some enthusiasm and energy, and had at least a few of the few City Limits onlookers on the dance floor and moving along.

My first look at Five-2-One was at least good enough to warrant my having another, more extended look at this group at some point down the road.

Five-2-One, making their City Limits debut.

Once again, Five-2-One.

RON SHAWVER & THE DIVELY FAMILY @ HARTSLOG DAY, ALEXANDRIA 10/8/05

If you’ve read these writings long enough, you know that I am a fan of fall festivals. There are any number of reasons why I make a point to hit up the regular circuit of festivals each autumn. First, I like autumn, and am into leaf-watching and the atmosphere this time of year. Second, these festivals usually always have some form of good music and good grub. And third, these festivals are the last gasp for outdoor community fun and activities each year before the hard cold weather of winter starts to set in, rendering us shut-ins for the next several months.

So beginning with – well, technically, Johnstown Folkfest and Cambria City Ethnic Festival at the end of summer, I plan on attending the regular succession of late summer and autumn events…Altoona First Festival, Italian Food Festival at Delgrosso’s Park, Harvestfest at Delgrosso’s Park, Ebensburg Potatofest, Bedford Fall Foliage Festival, Cresson Area Heritage Days, Prince Gallitzin State Park Apple Cider Festival, and usually on the second Saturday in October, the annual Hartslog Days Festival in Alexandria. Alexandria, Huntingdon County…the hometown of noted frontman/journalist “BadDazeRob” Carolus, who I understand sang the national anthem to open this day’s events.

Seriously, I arrived at Hartslog Day early afternoon-ish. It was a damp and soggy day, having rained cats and dogs earlier on. There were people strolling up and down Alexandria’s main drag, but the wet conditions kept the numbers down from what I have seen during years when the weather was more favorable. I procured my first food item of the day, a pork barbecue sandwich from a food tent. I took in the sights of the arts and crafts vendors as I made my way to the Hartslog Heritage Museum, where the performance tent is usually set up. I journeyed up a few side streets to see some of the other booths and food vendors. I witnessed a small emergency on one of the side streets, as two little girls playing atop some decorative railroad ties along the street found out the hard way that yellow jackets sometimes like to make their nests in rotting railroad ties. The one girl (I estimate around 7 or 8 years old) reportedly got stung 10 times – obviously she wasn’t having a nice day! I witnessed as an adult went over to the railroad tie with a can of Raid to spray the nest – I decided to depart hastily at this point, as I didn’t want to be on the receiving end of a swarm of pissed-off yellow jackets!

I proceeded to the performance tent near the museum, where Ron Shawver & the Dively Family were performing. I took up position at the rear of the tent behind the seated, mostly older, audience to take in what Ron Shawver and the Dively Family had to offer. The group performed a variety of old-timey gospel and bluegrass sounds, including original songs and traditional standards. Mandolin player John Dively introduced “Memories of Dad,” a song written about his father. The group picked and grinned on the playful novelty numbers “Chicken Reel” and “Kickin’ Mule” (with Ron Shawver showing off some mule-like sound effects on his banjo). Ron introduced his kids, young Jason Shawver on mandolin and vocals and Emily Shawver on vocals, to perform “Dear Lord.” Other songs performed included the Louvin Brothers’ “I Steal Away and Pray,” “Standing On The Rock,” an audience request for “I’ll Fly Away,” the instrumental “When We All Get to Heaven” and their set closer, “Put Your Trust In Him.”

I was particularly impressed with Ron Shawver’s banjo talents; this man could play! His fingerwork was fast and detailed as he picked away, and he could make that banjo sing and generate any number of sounds. The group’s performance was pleasant and laid-back; it felt just as it looked – a family back porch musical gathering, down homey and fun.

Although a local Christian singer/songwriter was listed outside of the tent to perform afterward, the sound gear was dismantled and no other performers appeared. I perused the various Hartslog booths and displays, indulged in a little more food, purchased a bag of apples (Hartslog tradition for me) and departed this year’s festival. Overall, it was an enjoyable time; and I was pleasantly impressed and surprised by the quality performance of Ron Shawver and the Dively Family.

Ron Shawver (top right, on banjo) and the Dively Family entertain at Hartslog Day.

Special guests Emily and Jason Shawver join in with Ron Shawver and the Dively Family.

A balloon artist makes creations for kids at Hartslog Day. Better watch out, buddy, you’re elbowing in on Dennie Huber’s turf, and Dennie’s going to kick your butt…(j/k)

DICK SMITH MEMORIAL BENEFIT JAM @ BEDFORD ELKS, BEDFORD 10/8/05

While I was at Bedford’s Fall Foliage Festival the weekend before, I saw an article in the Bedford Gazette newspaper about a special benefit show being held in memory of one of Bedford’s most popular musicians, Dick Smith. Dick had been a staple on the Bedford music scene since the 1960’s, when his band, Dick and the Countdowns, played teen dances at area firehalls. Dick Smith and his bands helped serve as the launching pad for a number of Bedford area musicians over the years. Dick died two summers ago after a battle with cancer; proceeds from the benefit dance, being held at the Bedford Elks, went to the American Cancer Society Bedford County Unit.

Obviously, a lot of fans, friends and musicians remembered Dick Smith, evidenced by the huge crowd already present at the Bedford Elks as I arrived relatively early in the evening. Through the course of the night, a “who’s who” of Bedford music names joined together in different combinations onstage, to jam together and remember Dick Smith. Musicians taking the stage this night included some of Dick’s original Countdowns bandmates, such as drummer Bob Fisher and guitarists Tom and George Stout; also Jeff Clapper (the Hurricanes), Roy Corle (Midnight Rodeo) and Lynn Henderson on bass; John Lowe, Roy Hinson, Pat Watson and Felix Kos (the Hurricanes) on guitars; drummers Henry Hillegas and Dana Corle (Midnight Rodeo); keyboard player Dave Blair; fiddle player Kevin Kutz; also Chad Patterson, Jimmy Bowser, Terry Foster, Cork Wirick (the last person to perform with Dick Smith, they performed as a duo at the Jean Bonnet Tavern); Dick’s wife Carol, daughter Kerry Whitcomb and granddaughter Karlee Whitcomb.

The music through most of the evening ranged from country to 60’s, 70’s and 80’s rock’n’roll favorites. The song selection included numbers from Gene Watson, the Beatles, Van Morrison, Animals, Wilbert Harrison, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bob Seger, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, Tommy James & the Shondells, Roy Orbison, Bread and more. The mood was happy and celebratory, as musicians renewed acquaintances and had fun making the crowd dance. Along the way, I learned tidbits of Bedford music scene history, hearing about bands of Bedford past such as 40 Degrees North and more. Door prizes were given out, and memories of Dick Smith were shared.

Bedford area musicians celebrate the memory of Dick Smith at the Bedford Elks.

A full dance floor moves to the sounds of the onstage jam session at the Dick Smith Memorial Benefit.

Hurricanes Felix and Jeff and some dancing ladies join the fun onstage at the Dick Smith Memorial Benefit.

Three generations of singers – Dick Smith’s wife, Carol, granddaughter Karlee and daughter Kerry Whitcomb – sing during the Dick Smith Memorial Benefit.

Once again, Carol Smith, Karlee and Kerry Whitcomb.

A photo board at the benefit shows some photos of Dick Smith and his various bandmates in action.

After the reunion jam session concluded, Under One took the stage to end the night. Singer Dustin Reisling, bassist Alex Dierling, drummer Brandon Long and substitute guitar player Danny Dierling played a short set of harder-edged rock, including numbers from Seven Mary Three, Ramones, AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Black Sabbath, Green Day and more. Under One generated a good dance floor blowout to close the evening; and their performance showed more tightness and confidence than the first time I had seen them the previous week at the City Limits Hurricane Katrina benefit.

This was a rewarding evening all around, as musicians, fans and friends celebrated Dick Smith and the music he made, and raised money to help fight cancer. And I met many names from the Bedford music scene past and present, and learned more about this town’s musical heritage.

Alex Dierling of Under One.

Dustin Reisling of Under One.

Once again, Alex Dierling of Under One.

Under One, capping the evening at the Dick Smith Memorial Benefit.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 10/9/05

After my “Backyard Rocker” guests – John Charney, Dave Distefano and members of Grinning Mob – indicated that they were heading to the Hitching Post after the program to see Felix & the Hurricanes’ weekly traveling salvation show (hey, a little Neil Diamond reference never hurt anyone!), I decided to head to the Post myself to see if any special Hurricanes musical fireworks might erupt.

They did.

The musical fireworks were already happening hot and heavy as I arrived. The Hurricanes trio of guitar man/singer Felix Kos, bassist/singer Jeff Clapper and drummer Bob Watters were joined onstage by Backdraft’s Brian Cupples on guitar, and a guest harmonica player, Barney Sledge. The crowd was big and festive, and I was fortunate to find a seat along the bar to take in the party.

The Hurricanes were jamming out to Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Look at Little Sister” as I found my seat; and they continued with the Jeff-fronted version of Badfinger’s “No Matter What,” Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself,” Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Cold Shot,” Ted Nugent’s “Free For All,” and Santana’s “Evil Ways.” Clearly the Hurricanes, their guests and the crowd were feeling it, and the ‘Canes kept the crowd dancing and clapping along with their soulful original tune “Walking A Straight Line.” The Hurricanes slowed things down briefly for the Allman Brothers’ “Sweet Melissa,” before picking the party back up with “Ain’t Your Business,” Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven,” and Al Green’s “Take Me to the River,” with fans and Hurricane spouses dancing atop chairs, and the party going for broke as the Hurricanes gave the song a fast-break dash to the finish line to end the set.

The “Backyard Rocker” guest contingent slipped out the door during the intermission, diminishing the possibility for further guest jam sessions. But it didn’t diminish the musical excitement during the Hurricanes’ third set, as the group and their guests again lit it up. Felix took the stage first, and by himself started into Blackfoot’s “Highway Song;” with the rest of the ‘Canes stepping up to join the song in progress. The group then continued with Jonny Lang’s “Rack ‘Em Up,” before blistering off a rendition of Blackfoot’s other hit, “Train Train,” featuring Barney Sledge offering his own harmonica lead-in. Next was CCR’s “Green River,” with Hurricanes frequent flyer guest Loren Johnson singing backing vocals. The Hurricanes then closed out the night in uncharacteristic mellow-out fashion with Jeff Clapper crooning lead on Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s “Mr. Bojangles.”

This was another fun session of Sunday night Hurricaning; as Hurricanes, guests and crowd let inhibitions run wild. The musicians had fun and went for broke on every song, and the fans fed off the energy onstage and partied hardy. It was ultimately another fine demonstration of a Hurricanes party gone wild.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes and guest guitarist Brian Cupples.

Hurricane Bob shows off his custom Dennie Huber headgear as the Hurricanes rock the house at the Hitching Post.

Felix Kos of the Hurricanes and guest harmonica man Barney Sledge.

Bob Watters and Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Hurricane Bob can’t seem to get the balloon hat off...

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: