· The Final Cut
wireless questions
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
J Michaels
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Oct 29, 2003 

I was wondering if anyone has any experience w/ the AKG Snap-On Transmitter that makes any mic wireless. It seems most recommendations are to have a true diversity (2 antenna) UHF receiver to avoid dropout, but this AKG unit only has 1 antenna (tho it IS UHF). Still, a couple of people have recommended it to me, and I would like it cuz I could use it w/ my SM-58.

also, I know the Shure PSM-200 (and higher) in-ear monitors are the best, but what about the Nady PEM-500... not the extra cheapy E03 system - the ones I'm referring to are $270 from musicians friend...... any good?

Opinions? Thanks......................... Very Happy
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Whenever I was asking about guitar wireless I think I got a post that the "guitar bug" from AKG wich is the same line as the snap in transmitter didn't have as high of a transmitter to receiver signal as a standard guitar wireless system so maybe check into that. Check into Carvin also, I have purchased alot of stuff from them ( guitar necks, pickups, speaker, mixer ) And I've gotta say I really like everything I got from them (especially the guitar necks........Awesome)
 Back to top »
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Yep Tonefight, you're right. That is another "bug" device that puts out half of what AKG's normal transmitters put out (5mW vs 10mW). Samson doesn't do any better with theirs. Its OK if you stay on the stage, but if you go into a crowd without a clear line of sight, you are F-worded.

If you want a snapon xlr wireless for an existing mic, look at the Sennheiser EW101...30mW output--kinda funky, though:

http://music1online.com/senewplugonw.html

Here is the DIVERSITY VERSION of the AKG:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item.asp?&menu=&keyword=&item=AKG+WMS40DVSO

I didn't do much research on hand held stuff (I use a Countryman headset thru a Shure UT14 UHF). The requirements for vocals are quite a bit different than for instruments.

Last edited by lonewolf on Wednesday Oct 29, 2003; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
TJ Kelly

Facingwest:

What kind of wireless do you and Kenny use onstage and how does Kenny's handle his 5 string signal?

Last edited by TJ Kelly on Thursday Oct 30, 2003; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
J Michaels
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thanks for the tip on power output - I wasn't considering that - GOOD TIP!

anyone have any comments on the in-ear mnitors?
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Friday Oct 31, 2003 

Gotta agree with tonefight, I've used a lot of Carvin equipment in the past, and it was ALL top-notch. Where else can you get real American made equipment for their prices?
facingwest
Retroactive Member
Retroactive Member

Post Posted: Saturday Nov 01, 2003 

J Michaels wrote:
anyone have any comments on the in-ear mnitors?

I'd never trust a set of in-ear monitors simply for the fact is it's not a completely controlled signal going directly into your ear, unless there'd be a guaranteed complete limiter or something. Dean, singer for Retro Active, uses in ear monitors and at the end of the night, his ears are still ringing because of how loud he has to make them, so he can hear over the band. In my opinion, I think it's much worse because of the sound going directly into the eardrum. I'm still stuck on musicians earplugs because I can hear what I'm singing, as well as the rest of band, at a MUCH lower volume. It's really nice to walk out of a gig and your ears aren't ringing.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
facingwest
Retroactive Member
Retroactive Member

Post Posted: Saturday Nov 01, 2003 

TJ Kelly wrote:
Facingwest:

What kind of wireless do you and Kenny use onstage and how does Kenny's handle his 5 string signal?

TJ Kelly,

For guitar, I'm still using my old reliable Nady Wireless One (It's at least 10 years old and isn't true diversity). That thing takes a beating and keeps dishing it out. Something that I noticed with it from comparing it with Kenny's Telex (I believe) is that it doesn't color any of the original sound. I had the unfortunate pleasure of using his one night because of a wireless mixup. For bass, I really didn't notice too much a difference as far as whether the Telex colors his sound. I think the wireless does great for his 6 string, but think he really needs to do something about his bad ground. I'm not sure if it's his bass or his cabinet, but the noise he gets is terrible. Being that he isn't really a bass player, I don't think he's going to invest any money to take care of the problem anytime soon. heh Keith uses a Samson Airline for guitar and it seems to be decent. Something I'm not too fond of with that or similar wireless' like it is if you're active and move around, you take the chance of knocking that little bugger out of the slot and it hits the floor. At least with a beltpack, you can duct tape the unit to your strap.

For vocals, Keith and I both use Samson's. I'm not sold on his Airline headset, but it could be because the mic might be shot or is junk. During soundchecks, our soundguy has to cut a lot of his highs because they're WAY too overbaring and the people in the place have to hold their ears from the feedback. I had the same set up as him, but with a beltpack instead of it being the airline series, and also had the same problems with the high end. My next purchase was an upgrade to a UHF and one of their better microphone headsets. I'm really happy with it. Something that disappoints me is whenever I first purchased the VHF, from a local music store I won't mention, I payed more for it with the crappier mic than I did for the UHF and upgraded. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way where to do your business to get good deals, as well as great service. Kenny recently purchased a new headset and it's a piece of garbage. I don't remember what brand it is, but everything from the sound of the mic to the "I look like a sports announcer" headset is very poor. His headset also isn't a very good set up if you're active at all because it isn't that secure. At least with the Samsons, they have a great fit and will not slip off your head no matter what you do.....Well, at least anything I've ever tried. Laughing

Hope I covered everything you wanted to know about them. If you have any other questions, mail me or post. BTW, sorry it took me so long in getting back with you, but was detained finishing up our CD that'll be coming out very soon. All we have to do is mix it and send it to the mastering house on November 17th.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
songsmith

Post Posted: Monday Nov 03, 2003 

The likely reason you paid less for the new wireless is simple... there is almost no human labor involved in miniature electronics now, as opposed to even 5 years ago. Before, you had to hand-solder tiny little components, or deal with wave solder techniques, and now a computerized "pick and place" machine basically "glues" tiny suface-mount chips onto a circuit board. People are only required to fill the machine with parts every so often, and even that part is less important with further automation.
The other reason it's cheaper is that Joe American lost his job because Sum Yung Wang will work for $2.00 a day in the Wun Hung Lo province of China, in a factory the "People" built for free. -------->JMS
 Back to top »
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey John, just a question... why do you guys go wireless with the duo? Seems to me like 'wired' would be the way to go for that situation. I would think that there isn't a wireless system out there that can compete with a simple cord. But I'm the kind of guy who would rather listen to vinyl than a CD any day.
facingwest
Retroactive Member
Retroactive Member

Ron.....Kenny and I play with both Retro and the acoustic stuff. We're completely wired for the acoustic shows because I see no reason to set up a wireless and pay for a battery just to sit there and play. Wink
 Back to top »
TJ Kelly

Post Posted: Tuesday Nov 04, 2003 

John, thanks for the reply. I found one to try so we'll see how it does. I'll have to intrduce myself at the next Retro or Duo show I make it to.
 Back to top »
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Overall, this is the best headset microphone for price/performance and staying on your head while you jump 8' off the stage and proceed to spin around at 60rpm on the dancefloor... It says Shure, but it is a Countryman mic...the link is for a Shure connector fitted version, but they make them for most of the major brands:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=68914&is=REG

rejects feedback better, flat response and crisp bottom end.
facingwest
Retroactive Member
Retroactive Member

Out of everything I read on wireless headsets, the countryman mic is the best and is used by the majority of major acts. The only problem I see with it is the price. I'd go broke buying one. Laughing Samson has one step from the set up I have, which has a AT mic in it. If something should go bad with this mic, I'm going to check that one out. I believe the price for just the headset itself was around $150.
 Back to top »
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Facing West, What do you guys have anyway like 8 wireless systems going .......... or did I miss count.

2 for you
2 for Ken
2 for keith
1 mic for dean and 1 wireless in ear

Someone should make something to simplify multiple setups. I actually saw a Nady system with 4 wireless in 1 rack but it didn't look like an impressive system
 Back to top »
facingwest
Retroactive Member
Retroactive Member

You're correct on that Tony. At one point, we had an extra in ear monitor mix that Keith was using, but whenever Dean's wireless went south, Keith let Dean use his.

We have an interesting set up with how many different brand name wireless'. It was hard to get everyone's frequency in the beginning to make sure no one bought the same one. As far as keeping everything all in one unit, I really doubt that'd work because everyone brings their own stuff and has different setups. It's a good idea though.
 Back to top »
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Nov 05, 2003 

I have an AudioTechnica ATM75 wired headset mic, arguably their best headset and very similar to the ATM73. Its a good mic for a drummer who does limited backing vocals, but I wouldn't dream of doing lead vocals with it. If you are wireless because you have an "aggressive" stage show, you will find yourself picking the AT headset up off the floor more often than singing thru it. The AT headsets are best used while sitting down. I suppose they could also relieve headaches if placed properly on the temples.

The AudioTechnica PRO8HE is a toy and is not fit for the stage (except for that one I saw on "Trading Spaces").

You are only looking at $55 price difference between the Countryman link posted and the AT in your post. You can be penny wise and pound foolish.
facingwest
Retroactive Member
Retroactive Member

Lonewolf, the ATM75 was the mic I was referring to. Thanx for refreshing my memory. What Samson did, from what I saw, with it was still used the same headset design, but just used the ATM75 diaphram. As agressive and active as I am playing, I haven't lost my headset during a show. I might've lost the beltpack a few times. Wink As far as the Countryman mic, I wasn't able to find one that had the plug to fit into the receiver of my Samson, so if I do upgrade, I'm pretty much stuck getting the ATM.
 Back to top »
TJ Kelly

To LoneWolf and Facingwest thanks for all the wireless info. I have a cheap Gemini wireless that I never use anymore. It still works great though. I finally decided to go with the Sennheiser Digital 1000 system. No Compander, No external anteneas, all digital signal. These are based on the xWire technology and go down to 20 or 25hz plus have 4 user selectable channels. I've heard good and bad about them but I have 30 days to try it out. If this doesn't work out I'll bite the bullet and get a Shure ULXP system. Same frequency range and automatically searches out a clear channel. I'll post a review after the weekend.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: