· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/17/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Mar 02, 2006 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/17/05

KEVIN DARE MEMORIAL BENEFIT CONCERT @ CROWBAR, STATE COLLEGE 10/11/05

This night, I headed to Crowbar in State College to take in the annual Kevin Dare Memorial Benefit Concert. Kevin was a Penn State pole-vaulter who lost his life in a pole-vaulting accident several years ago. The Kevin Dare Foundation was subsequently established, to award scholarships to Penn State and high school track and field athletes, and to advocate safety improvements for track and field events.

A poster of Kevin Dare overseeing Crowbar’s stage-level floor reminded everybody who this night was all about.

I arrived towards the end of the set by the first performer of the evening, Mike Jacober. Mike dealt with some serious adversity himself earlier this year; he is the Penn State lacrosse player whose parents were killed in a plane crash near Bellefonte in March. Although I only got to catch a song or two, I watched as Mike played acoustic guitar and sang, supported by an appreciative crowd of fans and friends.

During the intermission, collected monies from the previous weekend were officially presented to the Kevin Dare Foundation. Over $3,500 was raised by collections taken at Beaver Stadium during the previous weekend’s Penn State/Ohio State football game.

Taking the stage next was Amy K. & Love Stomp. Amy and Love Stomp stepped up the tempo with a crisp set of current and recent party-rocking favorites; kicking off with the Ataris’/Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer,” and continuing with tunes from Veruca Salt, U2, GoGo’s, AC/DC, White Stripes, Cranberries, Rage Against the Machine and more. The group also introduced two original songs during the set; the rambunctious “Runaway” and the slower “Losin’ a Friend.” Frontlady Amy’s voice was in very good form, and instrumentally guitarist Willy G., bassist Milhouse and drummer Ray Ray were energetic and on the mark.

Willy G. of Love Stomp.

Amy K. of Love Stomp.

Milhouse of Love Stomp.

Again, Amy K. of Love Stomp.

Once again, Amy K. of Love Stomp.

Love Stomp steps up the party during the Kevin Dare Memorial Benefit.

An interesting development took place during the next intermission, at least for me. Word was leaked to the show’s emcee that there was a birthday in the house - mine! (My birthday would officially start at the stroke of midnight; I suspect that a member of the Halestorm entourage leaked the word.) The announcer made the birthday announcement to the cheers of the Crowbar audience - thanks!!!

The next band was a group I hadn’t seen in a while, the Poptart Monkeys. On the verge of releasing their new album, Happily Never After, singer Tyson Clark, guitarist Chris Kurtz, bassist James Balogach and drummer Rob Hampton showcased several punkish-flavored new songs from the album, including the set-opener “After Party,” “The Big Lie,” “Pretty Tonight” and “Valerie.” As with their previous material, the Poptart Monkeys’ new fare blended melodic pop with modern punk flavors, and were streamlined, tight and to the point. The Poptarts also played a number of their established favorites, such as “What Can I Do,” “She Likes Girlz,” “7:30,” “Hooked,” their Police send-off “Stung” and more. At one point, Tyson and Chris performed an acoustic rendition of “Dreams,” dedicating it to Kevin Dare’s family. Tyson is still an animated frontman who constantly moves about the stage and rallies the crowd to be part of the show. He, Chris and James kept it action-packed and crazy out front, while Rob powered the set with his steady beats.

Chris Kurtz of the Poptart Monkeys.

Tyson Clark of the Poptart Monkeys.

Again, Tyson Clark of the Poptart Monkeys.

James Balogach of the Poptart Monkeys.

Again, Chris Kurtz of the Poptart Monkeys.

Once again, Tyson Clark of the Poptart Monkeys.

During a more serious moment in their set, Chris Kurtz and Tyson Clark of the Poptart Monkeys perform an acoustic number in memory of Kevin Dare.

Once again, Chris Kurtz and Tyson Clark of the Poptart Monkeys.

Once again, Chris Kurtz of the Poptart Monkeys.

Rob Hampton of the Poptart Monkeys.

Tyson Clark and James Balogach of the Poptart Monkeys.

Once again, James Balogach of the Poptart Monkeys.

The Poptart Monkeys fire up the party at Crowbar.

Once again, the Poptart Monkeys.

From another angle, the Poptart Monkeys.

From yet another angle, the Poptart Monkeys.

Once again, Rob Hampton of the Poptart Monkeys.

Following the Poptart Monkeys’ set, James Balogach and show organizer Michelle Shuey share a victory embrace.

Next on the bill was the Giants Of Science. The Giants often don’t break out their trademark labcoats and facepaints these days except for special occasions. This night was one of those occasions, so the Giants were decked in full regalia. The Giants had done some shuffling since I last saw them; Mickey has switched to guitar and vocals; Crow now plays bass and sings; Scotty B has taken over keys; and Jamie plays drums. With their facepaints and labcoats, the Giants Of Science brought the 80’s party, playing tunes from Journey, Gary Numan, Corey Hart, R.E.M., Outfield, Bon Jovi, Guns’N’Roses and more. The group broke out two songs I hadn’t heard them do before; The Bangles’ “Manic Monday” and Culture Club’s “Karma Chameleon.” Crow handled the lion’s share of vocals; he, Mick and Scotty B. all did satisfactory jobs on their respective voice duties. It was good to see the Giants decked out in their labcoats and facepaints again, and the group performed with more energy and conviction than the past few times I saw them; no doubt inspired by the large, cheering Crowbar crowd.

Crow of Giants Of Science.

Scotty B. of Giants Of Science.

Mick of Giants Of Science.

Again, Scotty B. of Giants Of Science.

The Giants Of Science generate some activity on Crowbar’s dance floor.

Once again, Giants Of Science.

The band I most anticipated seeing this night was up next. It had been over two years since I had last seen Halestorm perform (Q-Fest 2003), and this would be my first opportunity to see them since they were signed by Atlantic Records this past summer. Now comprised of the sibling pair of Lzzy Hale on lead voice and guitar and Arejay Hale on drums, Joe Hottinger on guitar and Josh Smith on bass; Halestorm showed the Crowbar crowd just why they landed a record deal. Lzzy growled some potent, high-ranging lead voice to usher in the group’s set-opener “It’s Not You.” Halestorm continued with new originals such as “Walk All Over Me,” “Satellite” and the anthemic “Living Inside Of Me,” before throwing the spotlight to Arejay, who fired off an intense drum solo display. This evolved into a full band drum display, as all four band members circled the perimeter of Arejay’s kit while booming out a tribal beat display. Halestorm then continued with “Movers and Shakers,” the thunderous, Soundgarden-toned “The Hand,” and “Take My Life” to end their set. This band was excellent before, but now they are even better; their poise and confidence level have shot up through the roof! Lzzy sang with fierceness, power, range and all-out intensity, taking her voice to wild extremes with no signs of wear or tear! Their new tunes still follow the Halestorm tradition of strong central melodies, yet display more aggression, heaviness and edge. Bottom line - Hale-FREAKIN’-Storm!!! After witnessing this set, it’s no mystery why Atlantic signed this group; I can only anxiously await for their first Atlantic recordings to see the light of day!

Lzzy Hale of Halestorm.

Again, Lzzy Hale of Halestorm.

Josh Smith of Halestorm.

Joe Hottinger and Lzzy Hale of Halestorm.

Arejay Hale of Halestorm.

Again, Arejay Hale of Halestorm.

Arejay’s drum solo evolves into a drum circle.

It’s a Halestorm drum jam!

Halestorm, bashing out some beats.

Halestorm’s drum display continues to intensify.

Again, Halestorm’s percussion jam.

Back behind the kit again, Arejay Hale.

Once again, Lzzy Hale of Halestorm.

Joe Hottinger of Halestorm.

Going for maximum meltdown, Lzzy Hale of Halestorm.

Halestorm rocks the Crowbar.

Once again, Arejay Hale of Halestorm.

Once again, Halestorm.

The final band of the evening was In. Singer Greg Locke, guitarist Matt Day, bassist Adam Zimmer and drummer Josh Hetrick picked up the party where Halestorm left off; keeping the Crowbar crowd fired up with their set of mostly current rocking favorites. In fired off tunes from Good Charlotte, Jimmy Eats World, Green Day, Violent Femmes, Big & Rich, Refreshments and more. The group dedicated Green Day’s “Wake Me When September Ends” in memory of Kevin Dare. Towards night’s end, In shifted into 80’s mode with Motley Crue’s “Dr. Feelgood,” as Matt put on a clinic on guitar; and with Living Colour’s “Cult of Personality.” Again, In was on their game and played their set with ample fire and excitement, and kept the remaining Crowbar audience festive for the duration of the night.

It was a special night to remember Kevin Dare and preserve his legacy; and all the performers brought their ‘A’ game and made their performances count. A very good night.

Adam Zimmer of In.

Greg Locke of In.

Matt Day of In.

Again, Matt Day of In.

Again, Adam Zimmer of In.

Once again, Matt Day of In.

Scorching the fretboard, Matt Day of In.

Josh Hetrick of In.

In keeps the party going at Crowbar.

U.V.A. BENEFIT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/13/05

A month and a half after the shocking shooting tragedy at the UVA Club, a special benefit show took place at Pellegrine’s to remember the victims and to raise money for their surviving families. It would be a night to remember and celebrate the lives of Al Mignogna, Fred Rickabaugh and Stephen Heiss.

Organized by Stephanie Feather, the benefit featured four different bands. A late addition to the bill, Opposition opened the evening with a 30-minute set showcasing their brand of punk-meets-funk-meets-hip-hop originals. Frontman Mike “Iceman” Bryant, guitarists Phil Wagner and Rich Johnson, bassist Bill Rickard and drummer Dave Russell received good response from the rapidly-growing Pelly’s crowd, as they did songs such as “Runaround,” “You’re No Good,” “Somebody,” “Skin Tone” and more. Opposition sounds better every time I hear them; their tunes display energy and punch, along with catchy melodies and a fresh blending of hard-hitting styles. This set made me more anxious to hear the results of their ongoing recording sessions, towards a CD to be released soon.

Mike "Iceman" Bryant of Opposition.

Opposition kicks off the UVA benefit at Pellegrine's.

Once again, Opposition.

Pellegrine’s continued to fill up during the intermission between bands; obviously Al Mignogna, Fred Rickabaugh and Stephen Heiss had touched a lot of people over the years with their friendships and associations, judging by this massive outpouring of support for their families.

Next on the stage was Hair Force One to take the crowd on an 80’s hair-band joy ride. Kicking off with Motley Crue’s “Shout At The Devil,” Hair Force One unleashed the beast and poured on the party with rockers from Bulletboys, Guns’N’Roses, Quiet Riot, Poison, Kiss, Cinderella, Twisted Sister and more. The dance floor quickly became packed as Hair Force One triggered the first rug-cutting of the night. Highlights of their set included the Guns’N’Roses double-shot of “Sweet Child O’Mine” into “Nighttrain,” and at set’s end, frontman Victor Synn’s voice piercing the heavens on Skid Row’s “Youth Gone Wild.”

Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Hair Force One puts pedal to the metal during the UVA benefit.

Again, Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

Once again, Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Hugh G. Rection of Hair Force One.

Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One.

Hair Force One keeps the dance floor busy at the UVA benefit.

Once again, Hair Force One.

The mood remained festive and celebratory in memory of the three UVA victims, as Pellegrine’s was now jam-packed with a crowd comparable to the venue’s holiday eve shows. This was indeed turning into a very special night.

For the second time in three nights, I would next witness as In donated their talents to a charitable cause. As they were two nights before at the Kevin Dare benefit, In was fired up and focused on bringing the party; and gave the Pellegrine’s crowd a set packed with uptempo current, classic rock and dance favorites. In kept Pelly’s dance floor full with tunes from Green Day, Fountains Of Wayne, Violent Femmes, Big & Rich, Run D.M.C., Good Charlotte, Black Crowes and more. Singer Greg Locke devoted Green Day’s “Wake Me When September Ends” in memory of the three UVA victims. In again kept the music constant and the tempo tight and upbeat; the result was a consistently busy dance floor and continually festive audience.

Greg Locke of In.

Matt Day of In.

Matt Day and Josh Hetrick of In.

Again, Matt Day of In.

In heats up the party further at the UVA benefit.

Once again, In.

Behind the back bar, Natalie Pellegrine and her friends during the UVA benefit.

After some comments from the show emcee (yours truly) and thanks from show organizer Stephanie Feather, one more band remained - Green Eggs. These guys picked up the ball and ran with it to the end, keeping Pelly’s dance floor jam packed for the duration of the night. The brothers Nicarry on vocals, bass and keys, guitarist Steve Nelson and drummer Doug Black mixed it up between current favorites, oldies, classic, 80’s and 90’s rock favorites, hip-hop and more; tying it all together into an almost nonstop, seamless groove. Through the course of their set, Green Eggs did such diverse fare as the Foundations’ “Build Me Up Buttercup,” the Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back,” Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again” into Guns’N’Roses’ “Paradise City,” Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline,” Vanilla Ice’s “Ice Ice Baby,” Jet’s “Do You Wanna Be My Girl,” White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army,” Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer” and more. Somehow, Green Eggs managed to make this wide range of sounds co-exist and flow together, effortlessly gearshifting from one song into another. Green Eggs’ set sealed the deal on what turned into an upbeat and special night.

Green Eggs shifts the party into overdrive at Pellegrine's.

Steve Nelson of Green Eggs.

Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Doug Black of Green Eggs.

Once again, Green Eggs.

Green Eggs shifts the party into overdrive at Pellegrine's.

Again, Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Tapping on the keys, Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Again, Doug Black of Green Eggs.

Once again, Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs and lots of fans.

Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Green Eggs and a packed dance floor.

Once again, Green Eggs.

By the end of the night, over $3,000 was raised, which was split between the three surviving families of the victims. Beyond the money, though, this night also served to bring the community together to show support and solidarity to the families of Al Mignogna, Fred Rickabaugh and Stephen Heiss; and to celebrate the memories of three men taken away too soon by a senseless act of violence. Thanks to all four bands, Terry Sprankle and the sound crew, Harry, Natalie and the entire Pellegrine’s staff, Stephanie Feather for organizing the evening, and everybody who attended and showed their support.

The postgame celebrations begin...Steve Nelson of Green Eggs and Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Brian Nicarry of Green eggs and an adoring fan.

This is the type of debauchery that happens when drummers get together on off nights...Hurricane Bob and RobtheDrummer.

Hurricane Bob has to be restrained...let the Photoshop wars resume!

A drummer and a former drummer...The Iceman and Hurricane Bob.

SHADES OF JUNE @ THE WAREHOUSE, BEDFORD 10/14/05

Havin recently had them as guests on the “Backyard Rocker,” and having even more recently learned about their change in lead singers, I was curious to get an updated look at Cambria County rockers Shades Of June. So this Friday evening, I roadtripped to Bedford’s Warehouse to see what the new Shades Of June was about.

I arrived late in the group’s first set, as new frontlady Jess Maguire, singer/guitarist Ryan Krinjeck, bassist Chris Myer and drummer Chris McConnell performed versions of Green Day’s “American Idiot” and Weezer’s “Hashpipe,” before ending the set with the original song “Reflection.”

The crowd was on the light side at the Warehouse this night, but enough onlookers were on hand to give Shades Of June an audience to win over. And as the group played their next two sets, they did just that.

As their second set unfolded, Shades Of June’s emphasis was on current-rocking favorites, with a few classics thrown in. Jess and Ryan alternated lead voice duties as they performed numbers from Violent Femmes, The Clash, Harvey Danger, The Outfield, Weezer, Lit, House Of Pain, Linkin Park, AC/DC and more. Jess displayed a good voice and decent range, and also showed ample energy. She even dished out some impressive vocal aggression on Linkin Park’s “One Step Closer” and Rage Against the Machine’s “Bulls On Parade.” The Warehouse crowd fed off Shades Of June’s energy as they proceeded; some folks and staff were even dancing atop the bar as the group escalated the party with The Outfield’s “Your Love.” Other set highlights included the group’s hard-driving rendition of the Beatles’ “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da;” Ryan’s stunning guitar leads on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama,” and another original song to close out the set, the fast-paced “Saturday in January.”

After just a 15-minute intermission, Shades Of June was back onstage for their final set. Ryan took the stage first and commenced the set with a Dispatch number done acoustic. The full group broke into a country-ish number, followed by an uptempo read of Nine Inch Nails’ “Hurt.” Shades Of June continued with an agitated version of Tom Petty’s “Mary Jane’s Last Dance,” and kept the party going with tunes from Nickelback, Blur, Garth Brooks, Alanis Morisette, Bryan Adams and more. The highlight of this set for me was the Ryan-fronted rendition of Oasis’ “Cannonball.” At set’s end, the Bedford audience wanted more, and Shades Of June responded with Blink 182’s “Dammit,” and Ryan ending the night with an acoustic rendition of Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl.”

I enjoyed what I witnessed from the new mach edition of Shades Of June. Jess Maguire seemed to already be at home onstage (I understand this was her first band situation), and showed a good voice and spunk. And overall, I enjoyed the group’s fresh takes on several familiar songs; their sharp instrumental skills and enthusiasm. The Bedford audience seemed to agree, based on their joyous response. At least based on this night, I think this band has a bright future, and is just one good crowd away from being an audience magnet party band force on area stages.

Shades Of June fires up the party at The Warehouse.

Again, Shades Of June.

Introducing new frontlady Jess Maguire, Shades Of June.

Shades Of June, inspiring speaker-top dancing at The Warehouse.

Shades Of June inspires the Warehouse bar staff to do some countertop dancing, too!

Chris McConnell of Shades Of June.

Chris Myer of Shades Of June.

Jess Maguire of Shades Of June.

Shades Of June keeps the party going.

Again, Chris Myer of Shades Of June.

The party continues with Shades Of June.

Ryan Krinjeck of Shades Of June.

Again, Ryan Krinjeck of Shades Of June.

Again, Chris McConnell of Shades Of June.

In the heat of a guitar solo, Ryan Krinjeck of Shades Of June.

More speaker-top dancing with Shades Of June.

SIDESTEP @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 10/15/05

Let me set the stage for how I came to be at the Hitching Post for Sidestep this night.

It was a sunny and pleasant October day, and I was up for some traveling, leaf-watching and fall festivals. The nearest fall festival happening this day was in McConnellsburg, where the Fulton Fall Festival was taking place. I drove there in hopes of possibly catching some live entertainment and good festival grub. The latter half of those hopes was fulfilled; as for the former, a country karaoke and dance troupe just wasn’t my cup of tea. Oh well…

After hanging out at this festival for a little while, I decided to continue my journey, and headed eastward. I traversed over the mountain, and as the 4 PM hour arrived, I had tuned my car radio to find the Penn State-Michigan football game. Hopeful that this would finally be the year my fortunes would reverse, and that a young and hungry Penn State Nittany Lion squad would win me a long-awaited case of Genesee from Michigan honk Kevin “ToonaRockGuy” Siegel, I was excited to find the game on Chambersburg-based AM station WCHA. I was not excited that the Lions trailed through the first half of the game to halftime. As I stopped by and visited Buchanan’s Birthplace State Park, I became depressed when Michigan extended its lead early in the game’s second half. As I continued my journey through Mercersburg and on to Greencastle, though, Penn State rebounded to tie the game, resulting in my loud celebration out the car window as I headed east on Route 16 to Greencastle. From there, I headed north to Chambersburg, glued to the radio all the way. As I entered Chambersburg, less than two minutes remained in this gridiron nailbiter, and I decided it would be safer for me to pull off the road to listen to the game’s outcome. In the northern part of town, I located a vacant mall parking lot and pulled in. The mall lot was adjacent to a McDonald’s, whose drive-up window was about 50 yards from where I had parked.

Up to this point, I was considering two options for what I was going to do on this Saturday night. Which option I selected came down to the outcome of the football game. If Penn State won, I would elatedly drive the remaining 60-90 minutes to Hershey, where my friend Shel Hoachlander and Black Thorn Entertainment were staging a multi-band Hurricane Katrina benefit at Shakey’s. If the Lions lost, I would dejectedly tuck tail between my legs and head back to Altoona, and drown my sorrows at the Hitching Post.

In the game’s final minute, quarterback Michael Robinson guided the Lions down the field for the go-ahead touchdown, with very little time remaining. The folks at the nearby McDonald’s probably were wondering who the whack-job was in the middle of that vacant mall parking lot, whooping and hollering like a wildman at Penn State’s apparent game-winning touchdown. Those same Mickey Dees patrons probably also wondered why that same whack-job suddenly belched out a loud “f-bomb” as Michigan scored the winning touchdown as time expired, and then sat and stared blankly for the next five minutes into the parking lot pavement. Penn State’s undefeated season was gone, as well as any likely shot at a national championship. And I faced the dismal prospect of having to surrender yet another case of MGD and endure another year of banal gloating from Rockpage’s biggest Wolverine fan. And sorry Shel and Black Thorn, I was sullenly motoring my way back towards Altoona on Route 30, my desire to extend my roadtrip shot down in flames by the outcome of the game. Sidestep had their work cut out for them this night, to try to bring me back out of the pit of despair from my Penn State, wager-losing doldrums.

I arrived at the Hitching Post shortly into the Sidestep ‘throwdown machine’s’ first set. The group was rocking a mid-sized Post audience with ZZ Top’s “La Grange” as I procured a brew and a vantage point in the middle of the room. Drum man Steve Brulia then flexed his pipes on Sidestep’s rendition of George Thorogood’s “If You Don’t Start Drinkin,’” while regularly-scheduled frontman John Stevens provided lap steel accompaniment. Sidestep then dug into the obscure side of the spectrum for their next tune, the honky-tonkish “When I Get Drunk,” done by Mike Henderson & the Bluebloods. A guest then joined the group onstage, Backdraft’s Brian Cupples, to sing lead on Eric Clapton/Sonny Thompson’s “I’m Tore Down.” Guitarist Greg “G-Funk” Larrimore and John’s harmonica skills then took the spotlight on a version of War’s “Low Rider.” After Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Crossfire,” Sidestep saw their first dance floor activity during Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Gimme Three Steps;” the group then finished out the set with Blackfoot’s “Train Train.”

During the intermission, the band members greeted me and expressed their sincerest condolences over the death of Penn State’s undefeated season in Ann Arbor. My spirits were beginning to slowly lift, assisted by the fresh infusion of Rochester, New York-based malt beverages into my system. Life would go on…

And the show went on. Sidestep soon returned for round two, kicking off with Cream’s “White Room.” The group stepped up the throwdown with Lenny Kravitz’ “Are You Gonna Go My Way,” and continued to light it up with tunes from the Steve Miller Band, the Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Rolling Stones, Tom Petty and more. Highlights included smoking solo fireworks from John and Greg on Stevie Ray’s “The Sky Is Crying,” the group’s spunky original tune “Sidesteppin,’” and Greg’s spacey guitar histrionics during Norman Greenbaum’s “Spirit In The Sky.”

Although Sidestep and the Hitching Post weren’t blessed with huge crowd numbers this night, they were blessed with a responsive audience; and those in attendance were feeding off the groove and energy, cheering their approval and occasionally even stepping forward to dance along.

Sidestep resumed the groove in their third set, launching with Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle,” and continuing with Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself.” Steve the drummer again supplied the lead voice on George Thorogood’s “I Drink Alone,” before Sidestep inspired more dance floor activity with Free’s “All Right Now.” The show entered the homestretch, with the throwdown groovefest continuing with Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama,” before ending on a funky note with Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music,” with one guy hopping up and dancing on the bar!

The elements of good rock’n’roll, groove and sharp-edged musicianship converged once again into a good, rousing display from Sidestep. These players were again on the money, and their catchy mix of tunes provided ample thrills with minimal spills. Sidestep filled the tall order, and succeeded in lifting this observer out of his Penn State/Michigan-induced doldrums. I still had to surrender the case of MGD to ToonaRockGuy, but now I could do so with my head held high. Dammit, the Wolverines have to come to Penn State’s crib next year, and with the Lions’ fab 4 receiving corps and Paul Pusluszny coming back, law and order should start to be restored next fall, and I expect to be on the receiving end of the beer exchange for a change.

Tim Kelly and John Stevens of Sidestep.

Greg Larrimore of Sidestep.

Jamming with G-Funk of Sidestep.

Again, John Stevens of Sidestep.

Tim Kelly of Sidestep.

Steve Brulia of Sidestep.

Sidestep's throwdown machine is in session at the Hitching Post.

Once again, Sidestep.

From earlier in the day, photographic evidence of my visit to Buchanan's Birthplace State Park. The monument on the left makrs the spot where the house was located where Pennsylvania's only President was born.

HI-TYDE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/16/05

As is the case with many weekends, this one’s path to the finish line went through Pellegrine’s for me, as I spent my Sunday night getting caught up with area party force Hi-Tyde.

Pellegrine’s had been experiencing a slump on Sundays in recent weeks, with attendance below normal. Several factors were floated as possible reasons for this; from people getting burned out on the same rotation of bands from week to week, to Steelers-related football parties, to a hangover tied to the recent UVA Club shooting and some folks’ general fears about venturing out to see a band after such an event.

In any case, that slump continued this night, as Hi-Tyde performed to a sparsely-populated Pellegrine’s. For whatever reasons, only a small audience of regulars and fans were in the house this night. But small or large crowd, Hi-Tyde’s objective was to give these folks a party. And they did.

I arrived early in the second set, and Hi-Tyde was rocking hard with Linkin Park’s “One Step Closer” and Limp Bizkit’s “Breakstuff.” Guitarist Rob Sottile took over lead mic duties for Sublime’s “What I Got,” before Hi-Tyde entered a funk/hip-hop medley fusing together Black Eyed Peas’ “Let’s Get Retarded,” Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean,” Prince’s “Controversy” and House Of Pain’s “Jump Around.” Although the audience was small, the medley succeeded in getting at least a few dancers out onto Pelly’s dance floor. Hi-Tyde shifted into the 80’s for Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “Relax,” before stringing together Fountains Of Wayne’s “Stacy’s Mom,” Rick Springfield’s “Jessie’s Girl” and Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ’69,” picking up more dancers along the way. With the dance floor party now going strong, Hi-Tyde sent their set into intermission with Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar On Me.”

Thus far, Hi-Tyde was getting it done. Rob, frontman Dale Nitti, guitarist/keyboardist Ted Depto, bassist Mike Weber and drummer Mike Davis were succeeding in getting folks on the dance floor on an off night, something not many bands have been successful in doing this early in the night in previous weeks. The group was instrumentally and vocally on target, and kept the music constant and nearly nonstop.

After a 20-minute break, the group returned to take the party into the homestretch, kicking off with Nickelback’s “Figure You Out.” Hi-Tyde shifted into a funkier groove with Bloodhound Gang’s “Bad Touch,” and the Gap Band’s “You Dropped A Bomb On Me.” The group stepped up the dance beats with a short medley tying together hits from Orgy, Lipps, Inc. and Dead Or Alive,” and continued with Prince’s “Let’s Get Crazy” and Tom Petty’s “American Girl.” Again Hi-Tyde generated activity on Pellegrine’s dance floor, and the party continued with the Bangles’ “Walk Like An Egyptian.” The group then performed Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy,” inspiring the mostly-female dance floor populace to sing along. The group then closed out the set with Ugly Kid Joe’s “Everything About You.” Although small in number, the remaining Pellegrine’s dance floor crowd wanted to hear one more, and Hi-Tyde responded with Violent Femmes’ “Blister In the Sun” to end the night.

Hi-Tyde succeeded in turning a slow night into a good time. They generated the party for those who did attend, and managed to keep the dance floor busy more often than not. Hopefully their ability to do this in less than ideal conditions will score points with Pelly’s powers that be, so that Hi-Tyde gets the opportunity to do the same thing down the road when/if the Sunday night attendance numbers return to normal.

Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde.

Ted Depto of Hi-Tyde.

Again, Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde.

Mike Davis of Hi-Tyde.

Once again, Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde.

Hi-Tyde, bringing the party to Pellegrine's.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: