· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 10/24/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Mar 04, 2006 

WEEKEND RECAP 10/24/05

PLASMA @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 10/20/05

After putting in a late night at the workplace, I headed to City Limits to check in with the entity previously known as Gin & Juice, now operating under the handle Plasma.

It was a slow night at City Limits, with just a handful of regulars and fans in attendance, mostly gathered around the bar. Up on the front stage, Plasma was searching for the right groove to get some sort of dance floor activity going, but it wasn’t happening. The group was leisurely plodding their way through versions of Pink Floyd’s “Comfortably Numb,” Stone Temple Pilots’ “Interstate Love Song,” Phish’s “Ya Mar” and “Free,” and more. The performance this night seemed sluggish and lackadaisical, the band members looking like they were bored by the lack of crowd and just passing the time until last call.

Needless to say, not a pivotal evening in the development of Plasma on area stages; instead, one of those slow nights where some of those ever-popular dues got paid…

VS. THE EARTH @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 10/21/05

This night’s live music sojourn took me to the 4D’s Lounge to check in with Altoona-turned-Baltimore party monsters Vs. the Earth. Tonight marked the local farewell performance of one of the group’s most popular members, drummer Shawn Hocherl, who was stepping away from the bar scene to sample some other options in his music career.

Predictably, the 4D’s was jam packed as I arrived midway through the group’s first set. Vs. the Earth already had the Dees’ dance floor packed wall-to-wall, as they were in the midst of a Beatles number, “I Saw Her Standing There.” Singer Adam Marino, guitarist Mike Ritchey, bassist Big Dawg and Shawn behind the kit continued the party with Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker,” Weezer’s “Beverly Hills,” Green Day’s “Holiday,” the Vs. the Earth original “She Rocks Me,” Aerosmith’s “Walk This Way” and more.

At this point, not anxious to mix it up with the mass of humanity just yet, I sat and took in the sights at my table near the rear of the venue. The group was mobbed by fans as their first set concluded, and the band members spend their intermission fraternizing with their minions.

The second set arrived, and immediately the dance floor was again jam-packed to the rafters. Vs. the Earth again mixed original song favorites like “Friend Zone,” “Forever Yours” and more with favorites from AC/DC, Black Crowes, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Def Leppard, Jimmy Buffett and more. The excitement was nonstop, as group and crowd maintained a feverish pitch. Frontman Adam rallied cheers for Shawn on his last night behind the Vs. the Earth kit, and the crowd showed the love and adoration.

The feverish pitch carried over into the third set, as Vs. the Earth continued their high-energy mix of original songs, current and classic rock favorites. Kicking off with one of their newest, “Midsummer Nightmare,” the group followed up with “Untouchable,” before allowing Shawn sole possession of the spotlight for a 5-minute drum solo clinic. Shawn also stepped forward and addressed the crowd, thanking them for the support, and encouraging them to support his replacement behind the kit, Elliot Wiley. The party continued with favorites from Poison, Disturbed, Rage Against the Machine, Blink 182 and more. The energy level escalated even further, and a few over-exuberant fans started playing a little rough up front, prompting the arrival of 4D’s security personnel and a cautionary message from the band. The party continued on for a few more songs, with Vs. the Earth finishing up with their popular “The American Teenage Anthem,” and digging back to their early Nevermore roots with “Go.”

It marked the end of an era for Vs. the Earth, as Shawn Hocherl steps aside. According to Shawn, he was burning out on the bar circuit and the hectic travel schedule, and he wanted to step away and explore a few other career avenues. Shawn mentioned studio session work and part-time band situations as possibilities, citing the career direction of another former Altoona area drummer, John McKnight. His parting from Vs. the Earth was on friendly terms, and he planned to stay in touch with the group.

I wish the best of luck and success to Shawn on his future endeavors; and I also look forward to catching the new mach edition of Vs. the Earth with Elliot Wiley behind the drum kit sometime in the near future.

Mike Ritchey and Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth, performing to a jam-packed 4D’s.

Big Dawg of Vs. the Earth.

Shawn Hocherl, during his local swan song performance with Vs. the Earth.

Shawn Hocherl addresses the fans one more time.

Kicking ass behind the kit, Shawn Hocherl of Vs. the Earth.

Again, Shawn Hocherl.

Once again, Shawn Hocherl.

More drum thunder with Shawn Hocherl of Vs. the Earth.

Yet again, Shawn Hocherl of Vs. the Earth.

One more time, Shawn Hocherl.

Highjinks with Adam Marino and Big Dawg of Vs. the Earth.

Big Dawg of Vs. the Earth.

Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

Getting low down, Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth.

Again, Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth.

Once again, Shawn Hocherl of Vs. the Earth.

Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth before a multitude of fans.

Once again, Vs. the Earth and a packed 4D’s Lounge.

Shawn Hocherl and big Dawg of Vs. the Earth.

Again, Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

One more time, Vs. the Earth and a wild dance floor party.

GYPSY & THE CRAZYMOON @ VICTORY LANE SALOON, ALTOONA 10/22/05

They don’t happen very often, but this Saturday night was one of those rare “been there, done that” Saturdays for me. Everybody playing in the vicinity I had recently seen or written about. As I stepped out the door of the house and stood in my driveway, I wet my finger and stuck it up into the breeze. The wind direction seemed to point me over in the direction of the Victory Lane Saloon; so it was there were my live music travels would take me this night, to check in with Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

It was a laid-back Saturday night at the Victory Lane, with only a small crowd in the house. A few random onlookers sat in the rear band room as Gypsy & the Crazymoon were in the midst of a set. The group was playing one of Gypsy’s original songs, “All Out of Lies,” with special guest Ernest playing the drums. After this song, a pleasant surprise for me, as walking up to the stage to resume his position behind the kit was one of Happy Valley’s top drummers and percussionists, Andrew Jackson. Gypsy & the Crazymoon then fired off a hot rendition of War’s “Low Rider,” highlighted by a scorching Scott Bachman guitar solo. Andrew Jackson was in the spotlight next as the group broke out a rendition of Santana’s “Evil Ways,” with Andrew showing his credentials with a drum and conga solo display at mid-song. With Scott singing lead, the group then closed out the set with “All Along the Watchtower.”

The intermission provided some unexpected entertainment. With the band members either seated or conversing with audience members, Andrew started breaking into song, singing some a cappella soul from his seat. A woman sitting nearby started to sing along, and the impromptu duet provided some tuneful and funny moments.

The group then returned to the stage for their next set, with another guest sitting in, Here We Go Again bassist Greg Mazak, as they kicked off with Big Joe Turner’s “Shake Rattle and Roll.” Andrew then belted out soulful lead voice on Grand Funk Railroad’s “Some Kind of Wonderful,” before frontlady/pianist/namesake Gypsy did her best Aretha Franklin wail on “Chain Of Fools.” Gypsy & the Crazymoon then broke out Tracy Chapman’s “Give Me One Reason,” before performing a swinging version of “Got My Mojo Workin.’” At this point, the group took a brief pause, before returning with a few more songs to finish out the night. Gypsy & the Crazymoon resumed with Elias McDaniel’s/Eric Clapton’s “Before You ‘Cuse Me,” a funky read of the Allman Brothers’ “One Way Out,” Jimi Hendrix’s “Red House” and another Gypsy original, “You Only Want Me When You Want Me.” Although small in number, the Victory Lane onlookers weren’t ready to let Gypsy & the Crazymoon off the stage yet, and called out for one more. The group ended the night with a rock’n’roll number (I didn’t recognize).

As was the case the last time I saw them, Gypsy & the Crazymoon shined this night as well. Andrew Jackson’s presence on drums, percussion and voice especially added an extra dimension to the group’s sound and presentation. Andrew, Gypsy, Scott, bassman Kevin Share and harmonica man Judd Miller were loose and relaxed, and having fun generating their sounds; and the Victory Lane onlookers fed off that vibe and kicked back to enjoy the performance. It wasn’t a busy night at the Victory Lane, but this show justified my choice to come check it out.

Scott Bachman of Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Gypsy of Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Gypsy & the Crazymoon with guest Greg Mazak on bass, rocking and bluesing it up at the Victory Lane Saloon.

Again, Gypsy & the Crazymoon with guest Greg Mazak.

Once again, Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Judd Miller of Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

One more time, Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 10/23/05

This turned into a pretty memorable day. It was another pleasant October afternoon, and with the “Backyard Rocker” pre-recorded this week, cohort Sparky D’Engineer and I decided to do our annual pre-holiday season visit/raid upon Hershey Chocolate World, to do some early Christmas shopping and procure Hershey edibles for the upcoming holiday season at factory discount prices. We did the tour and completed some shopping, and then checked out Hersheypark In The Dark, with free admission to the park (you paid for rides individually), and the park done up in Halloween lights and decorations. After grabbing some dinner, we returned to the ‘Toona. Going on the midnight hour upon our return, I decided there was still time left to catch the latter portions of Felix & the Hurricanes’ Sunday Hitching Post party.

But this wasn’t just any Hurricanes Sunday night session. Hurricanes drummer Bob Watters was celebrating four decades on the planet, and a crazed, drunken blowout celebration was under way as I arrived. Plenty of Hurricaniacs, friends, fans, musicians and Rockpagers were in the house, and I procured a brew and a bar-side seat to take in the festivities.

It didn’t take me long to become part of those festivities. After the Hurricanes – with guest Kevin “ToonaRockGuy” Siegel behind the kit – fired through Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” and started into the Isley Brothers’ “Shout,” lead ‘Cane Felix Kos beckoned me to step up to the stage, where he handed me a kazoo and directed me to the microphone. After my Grammy-caliber kazoo performance (j/k), and other various chicanery during that song, Denise “Weezie” Neely stepped up to sing Janis Joplin’s “Mercedes Benz,” with Felix rallying her vocal wails to the point of a ‘Hurricane-gasm.’ The craziness continued with Skynyrd’s “I Know A Little,” before Troy Earnest stepped up to the mic to belt out voice on Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll.”

By this point, the show was pure pandemonium. Felix and Bob were in prime form, their crazy, Wild Turkey-inspired antics generating constant laughter. Felix did a ‘Baseball Hall Of Fame’ presentation, doing impersonations of some of the great batting and pitching stances of baseball history; including Pittsburgh Pirate legends like Willie Stargell and Al Oliver, also Joe Morgan and Luis Tiant. Bob was blowing harp, without a harp! Along the way, bassist Jeff Clapper, Kevin behind the kit and harmonica player Barney Sledge somehow managed to keep the music on track, and keep the party in a musical context. Somehow out of all of this, the night arrived at its last song, the Allman Brothers’ “Sweet Melissa.”

What a party! It was sloppy, crazy, hilarious, drunken, irreverent, unadulterated FUN, the type any 40th birthday celebration should have, especially Hurricane Bob’s. I was glad to arrive back in town in time to be a part of it; I can only imagine how insane it could get when/if Bob makes it to the half-century mark!

Denise “Weezie” Neely, having a ‘Hurricane-gasm.’

Troy Earnest, belting voice with Felix & the Hurricanes.

Hurricane Felix and Troy Earnest.

”Weezie,” birthday man Hurricane Bob and Kevin “ToonaRockGuy” Siegel.

The zaniness continues, with Hitching Post matriarch Stephanie looking on.

One again, the birthday celebrant and “ToonaRockGuy.”

Getting ‘Turkemcized’ with Hurricane Bob and “ToonaRockGuy.”

Doing the best to hold down the fort on bass, Jeff Clapper of Felix & the Hurricanes.

Further ‘Turkemcision’ for Hurricane Bob.

Hurricane Bob’s 40th birthday chicanery continues.

Hurricane Bob wails some harp…even though he doesn’t have one!

Mr. and Mrs. Hurricane Bob, “ToonaRockGuy” and Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Kevin “ToonaRockGuy” Siegel.

Mr. and Mrs. Hurricane Bob.

Trying to keep the beat through a crazy evening, Kevin Siegel.

Hurricane Bob the harmonica man!

Hurricane Felix is amused by Hurricane Bob’s newfound harp abilities.

More craziness with Felix and Bob of the Hurricanes.

Luis “Hurricane Felix” Tiant winds up for the pitch...

Hurricane Felix headbutts Troy Earnest in the back, while Barney Sledge wails on harmonica and tries to make sense of it all...

Once again, Troy Earnest.

Once again, Hurricane Bob, celebrating his 40th.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: