· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 10/27/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Dec 17, 2003 

WEEKEND RECAP 10/27/03

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 10/23/03

Another Thursday night, and with day job duties again forcing a late start, I headed down the street to Peter C’s to check in with the Hurricanes once again.

As I arrived, the group was in the midst of several Stevie Ray Vaughan numbers: “Texas Flood,” “Pride and Joy” and “Crosscut Saw.” Often with the Hurricanes, whatever musical guests are in the house on a given Thursday help determine the musical direction of the evening. As band friend and special guest Ron Novak stepped onstage and plugged in his guitar, the prevalent flavors of the evening were shifting to blues and Southern rock. The group kicked off an Allman Brothers triple-play with “Dreams;” the big highlight here was witnessing Ron and Felix Kos blending and exchanging licks on their respective guitars. At one point, the two held an outright ‘conversation’ on their instruments, with their guitars talking back and forth with one another. The group continued with “Blue Skys,” and ended the set with “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed;” again with dazzling guitar displays from Felix and Ron, plus drummer Bob Watters and bassist Jeff Clapper each getting opportunities to shine.

The finale set was equally great, as the Hurricanes commenced with a powerful version of Ted Nugent’s “Stranglehold.” Ron Novak rejoined the band onstage to jam out on versions of Robert Johnson/Cream’s “Crossroads,” the Allman Brothers’ “One Way Out” and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man.” The jams were so hot and these musicians were having so much fun onstage that they were reluctant to end the night as the clock approached 2 AM; prompting Felix to say, “Let’s go up on top of the mountain to finish this off – you guys want to give us a hand?” The group then finished up the night with an abbreviated version of “Free Bird.”

On any given night, each one of Felix & the Hurricanes’ weekly Thursday adventures can take on a fire and flavor of its own. This night, with Ron Novak on the stage, was one of those nights. Excellent jams!

Felix Kos and Ron Novak tear it up onstage.

The Hurricanes with special guest Ron Novak, jamming it to the max at Peter C’s.

CAPITOL RADIO @ U.S. HOTEL, HOLLIDAYSBURG 10/24/03

Having “been there and done that” with everything else happening on the ‘Toona music scene this night, I headed out to Hollidaysburg to check out the one name on this night’s music schedule I had not witnessed yet – Capitol Radio.

Two performers make up Capitol Radio: acoustic guitarist/singer Phil Sukenik and percussionist Steve Geyer. Phil is from here, Steve is from Harrisburg. They rock!

As I situated myself in a vacant booth midway back in the room, Capitol Radio performed a version of Modern English’s “I Melt With You.” This was a little different for an acoustic act, but it sounded good and energetic with Phil singing and strumming the guitar, and Steve playing hand toms and cymbals. But then the duo played The Who’s “Squeeze Box,” and I was promptly floored! Steve was going to town Keith Moon-style on his toms, and it was rocking! The pair then did Bobby Fuller’s “I Fought The Law;” also impressive, with good vocal harmonies. During a version of Paul Simon’s “Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard,” a lady associated with the pair got up and played shakers alongside the group. Then the moment that blew me away – Capitol Radio did their version of another Who classic, “Won’t Get Fooled Again.” This was fantastic! These two performers took this song sky high, going full tilt on their respective instruments. During the song’s latter stage, Steve erupted with a percussion solo that suddenly incorporated the drum solo from Iron Butterfly’s “Innagaddadavida” in the middle – absolutely KICK ASS! Most of the U.S. Hotel audience loudly cheered at the end of this song; it was amazing. Capitol Radio followed that up with Buddy Holly/Rolling Stones’ “Not Fade Away,” which segued into the Stones’ “The Last Time” midway through. Again very impressive! I was quickly taking a liking to Capitol Radio, and wondering why I hadn’t heard anyone mention these guys before.

At this point, the first indication of a heckler, or group of hecklers, in the house. A group of middle-aged folks in the booth behind me had been carrying on rather loudly and having a good time. No problem, that is what people head out on a Friday night to do, have a good time. One member of the group yelled up towards the stage to ask the duo if they knew any James Taylor. The pair knew “Steamroller Blues,” and prepared to honor that request. The group member wanted to hear “Fire and Rain.” After convincing the guy that they didn’t know that song, Phil and Steve proceeded with “Steamroller Blues,” followed by another Rolling Stones song, “Paint It Black.”

Then the peanut gallery behind me piped up again, only this time a little more boldly. At this point, they discovered that they could outsing the performers onstage when Capitol Radio didn’t know the songs they requested. The grey-haired, heavy-set ringleader of the group suddenly broke into song and belted out the first verse and chorus of Leo Sayer’s 1976 hit “Long Tall Glasses.” Admittedly, the guy did have a decent vocal range. At first, everyone, band included, laughed it off. Okay, ha ha, the fellow had his two minutes of barroom notoriety, now let the band continue. After versions of the Boxtops’ “The Letter” and Fleetwood Mac’s “Second Hand News;” as Capitol Radio was starting to perform the Talking Heads’ “Life During Wartime,” the wannabee singer/heckler decided he wanted to start singing the Eagles’ “Take It Easy,” and the rest of his drunken entourage in the booth with him started singing along. Again, everybody in the bar moreless laughed it off, and the band members patiently awaited for the clown act to settle down so they could continue their performance. After Capitol Radio performed the Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil,” the mob in the booth behind me established themselves to be drunken assholes. As Capitol Radio were set to perform their last song of the night, the heckler and his minion start loudly singing Don MacLean’s “American Pie.” To their credit and intestinal fortitude, the band still grinned and bore it, but you could sense this joke was starting to wear a bit thin. Once the “American Pie” cacophony died down, Capitol Radio started into their final song, Elvis Costello’s “Alison.” As soon as they began, a middle-aged woman from the booth – obviously inebriated – walked right up to the stage, looked off the song list on Phil’s music stand, and started yelling back to her comrades what songs were and weren’t on the list! The band continued through “Alison” to the end, and as the song finished, the belligerent booth of drunks again started singing “American Pie,” with the grey-haired floozy cascading around and trying to get everyone else to sing with her. The band looked somewhat dismayed, and resigned to the fact that the drunks had marred the end of the show, and they started to put away their gear. Disgusted with hearing the loud, drunken idiots behind me, I got up and hastily made for the door, stopping momentarily to introduce myself to Phil and Steve and compliment them for what I thought was a great show. They didn’t seem to be downtrodden about the singers/hecklers (it comes with the turf, I guess), but seemed happy that at least one audience member appreciated what they did this night at the U.S. Hotel.

Bottom line, I came away very impressed with my first look at Capitol Radio, and I highly recommend that you check this duo out when they return to the U.S. Hotel (they play there usually once a month). And if you’re feeling brave, carry along a roll of toilet paper to jam into the mouths of any hecklers who decide they want to outsing the band. I wish I had.

NEVERMOURE @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 10/24/03

Since Capitol Radio’s performance had ended before 1 AM, I had enough time to stop by the 4D’s Lounge and check in with Nevermoure. This was actually the first of the area’s Halloween parties, so a number of folks were decked out in costumes, including guitarist Mike Ritchey’s father, Gary, decked out like his son with spiky red hair and a T-shirt! Very cool!

The Dees was packed as Nevermoure delivered a high-octane mix of original songs and favorites. The energy level remained at a constant high as the group fired through current favorites from System of a Down and Puddle of Mudd; classics like John Mellencamp's "Jack and Diane;" the mutated marriage of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" with Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice." The group also had the Dees' dance floor feverishly rocking to original favorites like "Forever Yours" and "She Rocks Me."

As usual, Nevermoure was in good form, instrumentally nailing their high-velocity presentation tight and on the money. In addition, this band has developed the art of coordinating their song material - both original and cover - into nonstop, cohesive, fun grooves. Nevermoure never stayed in one place too long, always changing the songs and direction of the attack; thus keeping the Dees dance floor attentive and preventing dancefloor participants from ever getting bored.

This was an all-around kickass party, with band and audience blending their energies into a festive, upbeat vibe. Based on their display this night, it's no mystery to me why this band is tearing it up in Baltimore and continuing to generate buzz with fans and music industry alike.

Like son, like father…Mike Ritchey of Nevermoure is joined by his father, Gary. Can you tell which is which?

Adam Marino of Nevermoure.

Nevermoure rocks the stagefront masses at the 4D’s.

SHATTERPAK @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 10/25/03

I can recall a time, not that long ago, that when you mentioned that a band appearing at a local venue was from Pittsburgh, that alone was enough of a crowd magnet to pack an Altoona area live music venue. As little as a decade ago, just being from the ‘Burgh carried maximum clout when bands like Triple X or High Voltage or Raquel or Whiskey High visited our neck of the woods.

But over the years, times and bands changed, and we don’t see too many bands from the ‘Burgh out this way any more. Except for the short-lived stint of Defiant, only Whiskey High and Coinmonster have maintained any steady Pittsburgh area presence on Altoona area stages in recent years.

Recently, Shatterpak has been trying to re-establish a Pittsburgh foothold on area stages. They made a very good impression during their maiden visit to Aldo's last spring; winning an initial local fan base with their fiery presentation. A scheduled early-summer follow-up appearance fell through, and over a half-year after their Aldo's debut, Shatterpak was back to try to build on that initial fan base.

At least in the early going, Aldo's was relatively empty as Shatterpak hit the stage. Like their first Aldo's performance, Shatterpak's presentation this night featured tough, hard-hitting rhythms from drummer Paul Kirstein and bassist Bob Fuller; muscular guitar crunch from Dave Davis; and the passionate, full-voiced delivery of singer Tony Scarfone. The group mixed original songs with select current and 90's rock. The base sound of Shatterpak's original songs leaned heavy, dark, groove-oriented and moody, with lyrics rooted in personal anger and uncertainty. Each of Shatterpak's original songs offered a different and compelling slant on this base sound. Among the most memorable were the dark and powerful “Self,” the hard-hitting stomp “Unwanted,” the slow and heavy ballad “No Direction,” and Tony’s savage ode to a family member he has not seen in ten years, “The One You Hate.”

The group’s selection of cover material was interesting, as Shatterpak chose a few songs not often covered; such as Cake’s “The Distance,” Rage Against The Machine’s “Children of the Sun” and The Nixons’ “Sister.” The group also capably performed songs from Disturbed, Chevelle, 3 Doors Down, Tool and more.

The group’s performance was powerful as before; full-sounding, hard and concise. Tony sold each song with his full-voiced, intense presentation, sinking heart and soul into each tune. With only a light attendance for much of the night, Tony and Shatterpak kept the overall mood personable and laid-back, chatting with the audience between songs.

Along the way, a few more fans arrived, particularly during Shatterpak’s final set. While not a large crowd, those who showed up seemed to stick around and appreciate what Shatterpak was doing onstage; and it’s likely this band picked up at least a few more new area fans this night.

Shatterpak will be spending the winter months recording their debut CD, and anticipates a return visit to Aldo’s in early spring. Both times I have seen this band, I have come away impressed. Keep Shatterpak’s name in mind, and make an effort to catch their show when they get back this way in the spring; you won’t be disappointed.

Tony Scarfone of Shatterpak.

Bob Fuller of Shatterpak.

Again, Tony Scarfone of Shatterpak.

Paul Kirstein of Shatterpak.

Dave Davis of Shatterpak.

Again, Paul Kirstein of Shatterpak.

Once again, Tony Scarfone of Shatterpak.

Tony Scarfone and Shatterpak, rocking down Aldo’s.

Raising fist in the air, Tony Scarfone of Shatterpak.

Again, Bob Fuller of Shatterpak.

Once again, Paul Kirstein of Shatterpak.

Again, Dave Davis of Shatterpak.

One more time with feeling, Paul Kirstein of Shatterpak.

ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME, CLEVELAND 10/26/03

For the second time in as many years, I partook in a pilgrimage to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame & Museum in Cleveland. Designated wheelman Big Jim, Sparky D’Engineer and I commenced our 4-hour sojourn to Cleveland early this Sunday morning, and, after driving in monsoon rain conditions and missing a turn onto the interstate that leads past the Hall, took a scenic tour through ethnic and industrial Cleveland, finally arriving at our destination at around 1 PM.

Again the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame & Museum was a fascinating and enlightening place. We first headed upstairs to the 5th and 6th floors to check out “In The Name of Love: Two Decades of U2.” This exhibit contained lots of memorabilia spanning the first two decades of U2’s career, including handwritten lyrics, instruments and outfits used by the group, and various other memorabilia; assembled with biographical information into a cohesive career retrospective about the band. There was also a theater area which showed concert video from various U2 tours; we caught part of the video from the Zooropa tour.

After taking in lunch at the 3rd floor Museum Café, we then progressed our way downstairs towards the ground floor level, to experience “50 Years of Rock and Roll,” a large and vast exhibit touching on many phases of rock and roll history. I couldn’t begin to list all the interesting stuff that was on display here; you pretty much have to experience it for yourself. Some highlights for me included several of the guitar exhibits, displaying some of the axes used by rock’s most famous names; letters sent to the late Jim Morrison’s father regarding his son’s out-of-control behavior; Janis Joplin’s acid tabs; John Lennon’s gradeschool report cards; various exhibits showcasing the blues and other roots of rock and roll, British Invasion, Motown, San Francisco and Los Angeles scenes, the punk, new wave, and even grunge eras of rock music. And the Hall stays updated with current artists as well; there is memorabilia present from names like Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Aguilera and others. And for you Mushroomhead fans, there’s even a small section about them in a special area devoted to Cleveland and Ohio artists who made it big.

We continued to peruse the Museum and its many attractions right up until closing time, 5:30, before we made our journey back home.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum were again fascinating, with changing displays and attractions to give visitors new things to check out and explore with each visit. As noted the first time I was there last year, there are names and aspects of the rock era that were notably missing or barely represented – Kiss, Ozzy Osbourne, Grand Funk Railroad, Boston, George Thorogood, Yes, most of the 80’s hair band era, progressive/art rock, and others. The powers that be at the Museum seem to have their preferences and biases of who they consider to be pivotal forces in rock and who they don’t. So the Museum isn’t perfect, and ultimately still doesn’t yet give a complete picture of rock and roll history.

But while flawed, I still recommend that any serious student of rock and roll plan out a road trip and visit the Museum someday, because what it does have on display is very impressive, and no doubt you will come away from the Museum with more information and insight about rock and roll than you entered with. I again learned a lot in my second visit, and it is very likely that I’ll make a third visit to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in the not-too-distant future.

Big Jim and Sparky, outside the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Yours truly outside the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

A historical marker outside the Museum.

BACKSTREET LAW @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/26/03

There was a slight sense of urgency for my arriving back in Altoona from Cleveland this night. For not only was Backstreet Law performing at Pellegrine’s, but it was also the night for Pelly’s annual Halloween party and costume contest, and the chance to see lots of costumed freaks en masse.

Including yours truly. Usually every year I never know what I’m going to deck out as for Halloween until crunch time arrives and I have to devise something. But usually, when the idea and inspiration does hit me, it’s good. Past years have seen me morph into Mr. Hanky from South Park, pro-wrestler Mankind, The Unknown Comic (from the old 70’s TV game show “The Gong Show;” the comic who wore the suit and the paper bag over his head), and last year – the Penndot Orange Barrel from Hell. This year, my twisted mind would devise – “The Beer Hunter.” Would it be good enough for a few laughs or even a prize? I would soon find out.

As I entered Pelly’s this night, I was happy to see that others were also decked out in Halloween attire, ranging from cute to sexy to funny to sick and everything in between. Backstreet Law already had this freakshow gala well in hand, Rocking Pelly’s dance floor with their blend of powerful original tunes; current, classic rock and party favorites.

Intermission soon arrived, and with it the official Pellegrine’s Halloween costume contest, with various beer-oriented swag up for grabs. The field of contestants made their way onstage, including a naughty cheerleader, a satanic dominatrix, a nurse, a gangster, a gigolo, a Catholic priest, Alice In Wonderland; and a nut decked out in camouflage garb and facepaints, holding a toy rifle and wearing a stringer of empty beer cans around his neck – “The Beer Hunter.” Contest hosts Backstreet Law introduced each contestant before the Pelly’s crowd, and gauged the loudness of the audience response before an impartial female judge to determine the winner. Although several of the female contestants played the “bare the goods” card to enlist louder male response, when the smoke…err…CO2 fog cleared, the Catholic priest (whose official name can’t be printed here) captured top honors, a beer manufacturer lawn chair, and likely a one-way ticket to Hell. The “Devil Dominatrix” captured third place; and “The Beer Hunter” captured second place, scoring two beer-oriented baseball caps. Very cool! And not bad, considering my whole “Beer Hunter” get-up cost less than $7 to put together (I only had to purchase the toy rifle, the rest of the stuff I already had).

After the costume contest, Pelly’s was briefly treated to a Jedi knight light saber demonstration, courtesy of the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse, who dueled with anybody and everybody, including the Catholic priest.

Eventually, Backstreet Law returned to the stage to restore some sense of ‘law’ and order, capping the party with more original tunes, an 80’s hair-band medley, the Jamie Morral-fronted version of Pantera’s “Walk,” a hip-hop medley and more. Festive vibes abounded for the rest of the evening; the combination of costumes and fiery live rock’n’roll escalating this night into a memorable party.

Jamie Morral of Backstreet Law with female guests onstage.

With more of Pelly’s female populace onstage, Goody of Backstreet Law.

Jeremy Edge of Backstreet Law.

Choke of Backstreet Law.

Again, Jamie Morral of Backstreet Law.

Once again, Choke of Backstreet Law.

The Devil Dominatrix.

The Catholic priest; obviously not one on the Vatican’s honor roll.

The Beerhunter, killing a Genesee bottle out of season.

A cavewoman and Alice in Wonderland.

A nurse, being held by a medic whose lab experiment went horribly awry.

Guv’nor Jesse Skywalker does light saber battle with Obi Shawn Kenobe.

The battle continues, with the universe’s fate hanging in the balance.

Having defeated Obi Shawn Kenobe, Jesse Skywalker now fights to save the honor of Catholicism.

Twice victorious, the gallant Jedi poses with beach babe Natalie.

Excited by the testosterone in the room, Natalie bares ‘em for the Rockpage camera.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: