· The Final Cut
NEW YEAR'S WEEKEND RECAP 1/2/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday May 10, 2006 

NEW YEAR’S WEEKEND RECAP 1/2/06

PLAZMA @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 12/29/05

My initial game plan this night was to catch the Thursday night holiday season visit of The Collective to the 4D’s Lounge. But one look at the 4D’s jam-packed parking lot pandemonium quickly made me abandon that game plan and opt for the second option, Plazma at City Limits.

Although not nearly as packed as the 4D’s, City Limits had at least a few people in attendance for Plazma’s jam adventures...and less crowd and waiting time to get a beer.

Dustin, Travis, Brian and Kyle were having some fun as they explored nooks and crannies on a variety of numbers. The musicians journeyed through renditions of Dustin’s originals “Dreams” and “Broken Mirror,” the Grateful Dead’s “Shakedown Street” and “Mr. Charlie,” several Phish numbers, the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues” and more. Plazma drifted between songs, playing off one another and experimenting with various instrumental tones and textures, and taking varying musical back roads to get from one song to another.

It was entertaining, and generated a positive vibe for the duration of the evening. And considering the jam-packed madness that was probably ensuing up the road at the 4D’s, this was likely a much less stressful way to kick off the final weekend of the year.

Plazma, playing their final City Limits show of 2005.

Dustin Burley of Plazma.

Kyle Kovach of Plazma.

Travis Dunn of Plazma.

Again, Dustin Burley of Plazma.

Once again, Plazma, getting their jam on at City Limits.

Brian Pavlic of Plazma.

Once again, Plazma.

Again, Kyle Kovach of Plazma.

Again, Travis Dunn of Plazma.

Travis Dunn and Kyle Kovach of Plazma.

RHYNE McCORMICK @ U.S. HOTEL, HOLLIDAYSBURG 12/30/05

For New Year’s Eve’s eve, I decided to start by heading to the U.S. Hotel to check in with Rhyne McCormick’s performance.

The U.S. Hotel wasn’t especially crowded as I arrived; just some bar patrons and a few late dinner stragglers in the dining room area. Rhyne was near the end of his first intermission, and set to start his second set.

Opening with Neil Young’s “Hey Hey My My,” Rhyne entertained the audience with a blend of acoustic classics and original songs. After he did a funky rendition of Bruce Springsteen’s “Hungry Heart,” Rhyne did one of his own songs, “5104” off his latest CD, Soul Dust. He continued with the Allman Brothers’ “Sweet Melissa,” Soul Asylum’s “Runaway Train,” Eric Clapton/Elias McDaniel’s “Before You Accuse Me” and CCR’s “Proud Mary.” Rhyne then broke out another of his original songs, my personal favorite from his Soul Dust album, “Train;” before ending his set with Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl.”

Rhyne’s style was relaxed and cordial, as he sang and played his tunes with an upbeat cadence and a pleasant vibe. Rhyne McCormick is one of those performers who makes songs his own; taking all of his cover selection and interpreting it in his own distinct and consistent style. Rhyne drew polite applause from the laid-back U.S. Hotel audience, with a few onlookers calling out requests to him along the way.

Rhyne’s final set opened with some more Creedence Clearwater Revival and “Who’ll Stop the Rain,” followed by Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” and another of his own songs, “Walk On Water.” Rhyne then stepped up the tempo with his rendition of Neil Young’s “Rockin’ In The Free World,” followed by Joe Cocker/The Beatles’ “She Came In Through the Bathroom Window” and John Mellencamp’s “Authority Song.” Rhyne then did another song from Soul Dust, “Don’t Think,” followed by the title song from his first CD, Spin the Bottle. Another Neil Young song, “The Needle and the Damage Done,” led to the title song from Soul Dust, before Rhyne ended his show with an audience member’s request, The Who’s “Squeeze Box.”

Although he didn’t have a large audience to play for this night, Rhyne McCormick picked up at least a few new fans this night, as some audience members could be seen chatting with him after his performance. Rhyne is one of the busier names on the region’s acoustic circuit, and between his U.S. Hotel, Hitching Post and other local shows is starting to develop some fan base in the Altoona market. As this night again showed, Rhyne offers his own slant and style on familiar songs, plus a healthy original song arsenal that deserves to be heard. Watch for his name on area stages, and give him a listen!

Rhyne McCormick, entertaining at the U.S. Hotel.

Once again, Rhyne McCormick.

TRUST FACTOR @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 12/30/05

After Rhyne McCormick’s show ended near the stroke of midnight, I still had time to catch another band in town. I journeyed to City Limits to take in a new band, Trust Factor.

I arrived as Trust Factor was under way, and was impressed to see a large crowd of onlookers in the house. This was a smoking crowd, too, as the tobacco smoke was thick and heavy. Obviously these guys had friends, as did the band who opened for them this night, Decision Day. I missed their set, but noted the name and knew I would run across them at some point soon. Trust Factor was just finishing up their second set with Creed’s “One.”

The intermission provided its own entertainment, as a scuffle broke out in the middle of the main band room. From what I could see, the main participants were a guy and a gal, and the gal was dishing it out as loudly and boisterously as the guy. Both were separated by City Limits security, as calmer heads attempted to prevail. I joked with City Limits main man Claudio that this hopefully got the fisticuffs out of the way for the rest of the weekend, so his New Year’s Eve celebration with Hair Force One the following night would go incident free.

After the dust settled and calmness returned, Trust Factor returned to the stage for their nightcap set. Comprised of singer Scott Lang, drummer Bob Frye, and the guitar/bass-swapping tandem of David Yeager and Todd Belardi; Trust Factor dished out a hard-hitting blend of current rock, 90’s tunes and originals. This third set started and ended with Puddle Of Mudd’s “She Hates Me” (the repeat performance a result of audience requests); in between were tunes from Green Day, Staind, Creed and Korn, along with two original assaults, “Treat Me Right” and “Go the F**k Away.”

Trust Factor’s performance was roughshod, but got the job done. These guys didn’t win points for finesse or detail this night; they were full-throttled on their instruments, delivering a heavy, weighty, jagged-edged sound, warts and all. On the throat end, Scott did a respectable job, given this was his first-ever band situation. What they lacked in tightness and finesse, they made up for in enthusiasm, which kept the audience attentive and cheering their efforts. At least it was a start, and Trust Factor offered enough competence to show they have some potential if they continue to hone their show in the coming months; we’ll keep an eye on them.

Trust Factor, making their City Limits debut.

Todd Belardi and Scott Lang of Trust Factor.

Bob Frye of Trust Factor.

Again, Todd Belardi and Scott Lang of Trust Factor.

Scott Lang of Trust Factor.

HAIR FORCE ONE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 12/31/05

The book was about to close on another year. 2005 had reached its end, and 2006 was waiting in the wings. Ready to carry a packed house crowd at City Limits across the threshold by way of the music of the Decade of Decadence was Hair Force One.

Learning from the previous year that I needed to arrive early for any shot at getting a table, I arrived at City Limits shortly after 9 PM, and even at that early stage was relegated to a table back by the bar and adjacent to the pool/game room; at least I would again be in good position to get first dibs on the midnight buffet! I had to defend my newly staked turf against people trying to grab my chairs, as I had other friends arriving to join me later. Eventually those folks arrived, and the party was on!

At the stroke of 10:30, Hair Force One launched their party, cranking out maximum 80’s hair band favorites from Cinderella, Ratt, Kiss, Tesla, Twisted Sister, Judas Priest, Quiet Riot, Bulletboys, Poison, Kix, Motley Crue and more. Hexhed drummer Rob Bonsell sat in behind the drum kit midway through the set on Def Leppard’s “Rock of Ages.” City Limits’ dance floor filled instantly, and a constant mass of humanity populated the floor from the set’s beginning to end. The New Year’s Eve noisemakers came to life, and the din of squawking and rattling New Year’s reveling became louder as the midnight hour approached.

With about 15 minutes to spare on 2005, Hair Force One closed their first set, and the anticipation continued to build as the stroke of midnight approached. Soon several members of Hair Force One stepped onstage, and led the City Limits crowd in the ever-traditional countdown to midnight. And a Rockpage videographer was there to capture the moment:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV08119.MPG

Now having crossed the threshold into 2006, it was time to feast! The City Limits kitchen staff brought out the buffet, and with my strategic table position, my entourage and I were among the first in line to load up on the food spread of hot dogs and sauerkraut, luncheon meats and cheeses, veggies, chips and other edibles.

Soon, Hair Force One returned for their nightcap set, and City Limits was again ready to PARTY! The beer and champagne flowed, and the band rocked, with more hair-band rock from Van Halen, Britny Fox, more Poison, more Crue, Guns’n’Roses, more Twisted Sister, Warrant, Whitesnake, AC/DC and more. The dance floor party action was fast and furious, and several ladies and City Limits wait staffers embarked on a game of ‘Twister’ in front of the stage. It was pure, unadulterated New Year’s Eve rock and roll party fun (at least what I can remember of it) to get 2006 off to a blazing start!

Having recently received my gift replacement camera from the Rockpage community, I put my “old” Sony Cyber-Shot camera to its new use as a video camera. My first foray into digital videography was Hair Force One’s rendition of “Sweet Child Of Mine;” and evidenced by the video link below, it took me a few moments to realize that shooting video with the camera in a vertical position doesn’t quite work (just tilt your head at a 90-degree angle to watch that portion of the vid; also note the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse flipping me the bird midway through the song):

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV08122.MPG

Bottom line, it was an outrageous, glorious, party-til-you-drop night at City Limits to hail in 2006, and Hair Force One was again more than up to the task of getting the revelers into the New Year. Based on this night, 2006 was off to a rocking start. I had a blast!

Hair Force One, rocking a packed dance floor at City Limits.

Phillip DaPussee of Hair Force One.

Done sidestepping around, Jimi Hatt is back in action with Hair Force One.

Victor Synn of Hair Force One, with City Limits’ Ashley along for the ride.

Again, Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Victor Synn and Hair Force One keep 'em dancing into the New Year.

Jimi Hatt of Hair Force One.

Hugh G. Rection of Hair Force One.

Hair Force One, keeping the dance floor happy at City Limits.

Once again, Hair Force One.

More Hair Force One New Year’s Eve revelry.

Haywood Jablome helps sing with Iva Biggin and Hair Force One

Phillip, Haywood and Iva keep ‘em howling.

Once again, Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Somewhere amidst that mass of City Limits ladydom onstage, there is a band...

Hugh G. Rection breaks out the big sticks.

“Take my picture!” Yet another happy dance floor fan during Hair Force One’s party.

Yet again, Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Yours truly, celebrating with a cast of crazies. Thanks to Bud from The Underground TV for taking this shot.

Robthedrummer was in the house and obviously having a good time.

During the last set, an episode of Hair Force One Twister broke out on the dance floor. The above sequence of photos captures the play-by-play action.

Several drinks and pitchers of brew later, Robthedrummer and the gang are still having a good time.

Two members of my cast of crazies, Brian and Shawn, obviously having a good time.

I don’t know Witchchic this is, but she seems to be having a good time as well.

Yours truly, after setting off a confetti popper behind Guv’nor Jesse.

A happy Guv’nor Jesse rings in the New Year.

Shawn and Robthedrummer.

The post-game celebration begins onstage at City Limits.

BILLY & THE INMATES @ HARD ROCK CAFÉ, PITTSBURGH 1/1/06

Little did I ever expect that my first band show of the new year 2006 (after Hair Force One the previous night) would take place in Pittsburgh! But it did - midway through the afternoon, after I had fully recovered from New Year's Eve and enjoyed the traditional New Year's Day pork and sauerkraut dinner, I received a call from "Big Jim" Ricotta asking if I was up for a roadtrip to Pittsburgh to check out Billy & the Inmates' show at the Hard Rock Café at Station Square. With the "Backyard Rocker" prerecorded this night due to the holiday, I was game for Big Jim's roadtrip invite, and soon we were en route to the 'Burgh!

We arrived at the Hard Rock Café, and were seated in one of the upper levels, with a clear view of the stage. Several members of Billy & the Inmates were pleasantly surprised that I had shown up to cover their first venture at this venue.

Several solo performers opened up the evening, before Billy & the Inmates and another band scheduled after them called The Monophonics. The first soloist was a 15-year-old guitar player (whose name I missed), who played a rendition of Jimi Hendrix's "The Wind Cries Mary" and an acoustic number, "Things Are Looking Up for Me." This youngster showed a good voice and some skills on the strings, and he had some apparent family and friends on hand to cheer him on during his two songs.

Next was another acoustic soloist, Jason Deutsch. This Pittsburgh-based singer, songwriter and guitarist played four songs; three original songs and a version of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away." His style and sound were folksy alternative, not too far removed from John Mayer. From what we saw, Jason's brief performance was a good one.

Jason Deutsch, entertaining at the Hard Rock Café.

Once again, Jason Deutsch.

After a short intermission, Billy & the Inmates took the stage to fire up some rock'n'roll. Singer Don Duriez, lead guitarist Jason Shevock, bassist/singer Ken Pompa, rhythm guitarist/singer Jerry Carnevali and drummer Jarrett Carnevali - subbing for Bill Stauffer this night - kicked off with Free's "All Right Now," and proceeded with a feisty blend of classics from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Billy & the Inmates rocked the Steel City audience with numbers from John Mellencamp, the Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Guns'N'Roses, Van Morrison and more. Highlights along the way included Ken breaking out the high notes as he sang lead on the Outfield's "Your Love;" Jason's stunning guitar solo fireworks (including behind his neck) during the Jerry-fronted rendition of Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode," Ken's original ballad, "The Tearjerker," and singer Don stepping out onto the dance floor with the fans as he sang Van Morrison's "Wild Night."

This was the most spirited display I've witnessed from Billy & the Inmates thus far. Obviously these guys were fired up to be playing in Pittsburgh and at such an esteemed venue as the Hard Rock Café. Their tempo and vibe were continually spirited and upbeat, their tunes delivered with a smile. The group was instrumentally strong, and their vocals and vocal harmonies were in good form. They battled some sound issues early on, but those were soon resolved, and the Billy & the Inmates built momentum from there. The Pittsburgh crowd, mostly sitting and dining while watching the group, seemed to be receptive to their efforts.

After watching the group for about 90 minutes, Big Jim and I decided to embark on our return journey back to the 'Toona. But what we got to witness from Billy & the Inmates was good, and the combination of the roadtrip and the band's strong performance made the first day of 2006 a memorable one.

Billy & the Inmates, rocking and rolling at Pittsburgh’s Hard Rock Café.

Jerry Carnevali of Billy & the Inmates.

Don Duriez and Jerry Carnevali of Billy & the Inmates.

Once again, Billy & the Inmates.

The photographer gets photographed…Yours truly was in the line of fire from a member of the Billy & the Inmates fan contingent.

IN @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 1/1/06

Arriving back at Pellegrine’s shortly after midnight, I still had plenty of time to catch part of In’s second set and their entire third set.

Too bad I didn’t.

Blame an over-abundance of friends in the front room by the door, and blame Guv’nor Jesse for bringing along the DVD for Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith. I had seen In numerous times in recent months; I had never seen Star Wars Episode 3. Episode 3 won. At least when somebody wasn’t talking my ear off.

I got to finally see how Palpatine got mutated into the Emperor, and how Anakin Skywalker got mutated into Darth Vader. And I again got to see what a fast little bugger Yoda is when he gets a lightsaber into his hands.

A large New Year’s Night crowd – the best In has probably seen here thus far – was in attendance. I heard In doing many of the favorites they usually perform, including House Of Pain’s “Jump Around,” Living Colour’s “Cult of Personality,” Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy” and more.

There would be other days for me to bear witness to In. For this New Year's Day, the Pittsburgh roadtrip and the subsequent opportunity to view Star Wars Episode 3 made for one of the more memorable – and unusual – starts of the New Year.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: