· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 1/9/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday May 16, 2006 

WEEKEND RECAP 1/9/06

MATT WAGNER & JIMMY TANGEMAN @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 1/5/06

This weekend began for me with a trip to Juniata to check in on the duo of Matt Wagner and Jimmy Tangeman, performing at Aldo's.

I arrived at around 11:30, finding Aldo's jam-packed as a multitude of college-aged folks – apparently the Penn State Altoona crowd - was on hand to socialize and take in Matt and Jimmy's performance. The duo – with Jimmy brandishing his unique silent acoustic guitar and Matt singing and playing a standard acoustic – were playing Blink 182’s “Dammit.” The pair continued to mix current and classic rock favorites, requests, and a few of Matt’s original songs along the way. Some highlights during this set included their rendition of Led Zeppelin’s “D’yer Maker,” with Matt demonstrating some falsetto; Pearl Jam’s “Better Man;” Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead Or Alive;” along with a few Dave Matthews numbers. Matt’s vocal power and range were in good working order, and the pair’s guitars blended well for a full-bodied acoustic sound. Matt quipped with the audience, and fielded requests along the way.

The pair’s nightcap set started off with Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man,” and the two honored requests for Stone Temple Pilots’ “Plush,” Nirvana’s “All Apologies,” Pearl Jam’s “Yellow Ledbetter,” Alice In Chains’ “No Excuses” and more. Fans continued to yell requests up to Matt and Jimmy as they went along; and didn’t want them to stop playing at the end of the night. The pair thus performed an encore, doing Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker” to end the night.

It was easy to see that Matt Wagner and Jimmy Tangeman remain a popular commodity on this town’s acoustic stages. Their fans kept them busy with requests throughout the time I was there; and their friendly onstage mood, solid performances and knack of pleasing their fans resulted in a fun, entertaining evening.

Matt Wagner and Jimmy Tangeman.

Jimmy Tangeman.

Matt Wagner.

Again, Matt and Jimmy.

Jimmy Tangeman, playing his silent acoustic guitar.

Once again, Matt and Jimmy.

“AFTER HOLIDAY JAM-A-RAMA” w/TEXAS TOAST/WOOD-N-STRINGS/THE FLAME SKY/BACKDRAFT/STILL HOLDIN’ (reunion) @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 1/6/06

Just a few days into the New Year, one of the first local multi-band events of 2006 was set to happen at Burgi’s Roundhouse. The first Burgi’s “Jam-a-Rama” would provide almost nonstop musical entertainment from five different musical entities.

I arrived early during Burgi’s dinner hour, and set up shop in one of the booths between the acoustic performance area and Burgi’s main stage. As I ordered up some dinner, Texas Toast was wrapping up their set and beginning to crossfade into Wood-n-Strings mode. Dwane Edmiston and Ed Brinkel on guitars, and Jeremy Nelson on bass exited their Texas Toast set with Steve Miller Band’s “Dance Dance Dance” and Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil” before taking a short break. After a few minutes, Dwane and Jeremy returned to perform their Wood-n-Strings set, kicking off with Joe Cocker/Dave Mason’s “Feelin’ Alright.” The duo performed a mixture of past and present favorites acoustically, including selections from Men At Work, John Mellencamp, Incubus, Oasis, the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Stevie Wonder, Eagles, Alice In Chains, Rusted Root and more.

As I was watching Wood-n-Strings and enjoying my Burgi’s meal of a wing appetizer, fish sandwich and fries, Rockpage designated dietitian ZappasXWife stopped by to harass me over my culinary selections; but was otherwise clearly elated over Wood-n-Strings’ song selection and their crisp performance on their respective “geets.” Twisted Evil

Musical attention then shifted to the main stage, where The Flame Sky continued the “Jam-a-Rama.” Making their Burgi’s debut, singer/guitarist Ed Brinkel, lead guitarist Jason Feathers, bassist Shawn Shultz and drummer Nate Woods concentrated on classic rock deep cuts. The Flame Sky did renditions of Jimi Hendrix’s “Manic Depression” and “Red House,” Santana’s “Put Your Light On,” the Robin Trower double-shot of “Day of the Eagle” into “Bridge of Sighs,” Ozzy Osbourne’s “Mr. Crowley,” Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song,” and Metallica’s “Fade to Black.” Somewhat surprisingly, The Flame Sky pulled out only one of their own songs during this set, “And Eventually;” before closing out the set with Thin Lizzy’s “Emerald.” The Flame Sky came on strong, riding each tune to an intense, heated climax. Although not packed, the Burgi’s crowd cheered approval throughout The Flame Sky’s set, appreciating the band’s passion and back-of-the-rack song selection.

The Flame Sky, making their Burgi’s debut during the After-Holiday Jam-a-Rama.

Again, The Flame Sky.

Once again, The Flame Sky, taking part in the inaugural Jam-a-Rama at Burgi’s.

Ed Brinkel and Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Ed Brinkel of The Flame Sky.

Jill and Amy enjoy the proceedings during the inaugural Jam-a-Rama.

After another short changeover intermission, it was Backdraft’s turn. This would be a different edition of Backdraft, though, featuring a line-up that hadn’t played together before – founding member Brian Cupples on vocals and guitar, Kelly Montgomery on bass and Jeremy Nelson on drums. Backdraft played a mixture of classic rock, blues and even some original tunes. They opened with Eric Clapton/Freddie King’s “I’m tore Down,” followed by U2 and B.B. King’s “When Love Comes to Town.” Brian then introduced an original tune, “Let Me Love You,” followed by Buddy Miles’ “Them Changes,” and the reggae-flavored Backdraft original, “No Problem.” The group stepped up the tempo with Tom Petty’s “Running Down a Dream,” before wrapping up the set with one more original song, the honky-tonkin’ “3-Hour Trip.” Although this edition of Backdraft hadn’t jammed together before, they sounded sharp and together. Brian sang with his usual soulfulness and brightness, and displayed tasty guitar playing along the way, while Kelly and Jeremy backed him with tight rhythms.

Backdraft performs during the Jam-a-Rama.

Brian Cupples of Backdraft.

The main event of the “Jam-a-Rama” was the reunion performance of Still Holdin,’ who graced area stages in the late 90’s, and disbanded in 2001 following the drowning death of guitarist Darren Edmiston. Bassist/singer Kelly Montgomery, lead singer/guitarist Jeremy Nelson, guitarist Todd Holes, drummer Jody Riggleman and Darren’s brother, Dwane Edmiston, on keys and congas celebrated Still Holdin’ memories with a blazing set that reprised many of the songs the group performed regularly during their run on area stages; including tunes from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Doobie Brothers, Santana, Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix and more. Highlights were numerous, including the group’s powerful resurrections of Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs” and “Fairies Wear Boots,” Santana’s “Hope You’re Feeling Better,” Neil Young’s “Down By The River,” and Jimi Hendrix’s “Voodoo Chile.” At set’s end, Dwane celebrated his late brother’s memory with a Still Holdin’ original tune Darren penned, “Spirit High.” Still Holdin’ sounded pretty good for a band who has been apart for five years, and played their material with heart and gusto. These musicians seemed happy to be making music together again. And the audience – including many fans from the group’s prior stint – were happy to see these guys rocking out again.

The first “Jam-a-Rama” was a successful and fun event, and hopes were running high that this might become an annual event.

Here’s a video of Still Holdin’ performing “Spirit High” at the end of the night. There wasn’t much lighting onstage, so this comes up looking dark, but you’ll hear the song in its entirety:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV08124.MPG

Reuniting after five years for one special night, Still Holdin.’

Again, Still Holdin.’

Dwane Edmiston of Still Holdin.’

Todd “Nut” Holes of Still Holdin.’

Jody Riggleman of Still Holdin.’

Jody Riggleman and Dwane Edmiston of Still Holdin,’ providing the percussion.

GIANTS OF SCIENCE @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 1/7/06

Ten years ago, I remember the anticipation as this band first arrived on the Altoona music scene. Eyewitnesses had told me about this exciting new band coming to town called the Giants Of Science. They reportedly played all sorts of 80’s music, and wore white labcoats and facepaints. I got to see a number of the Giants’ first area appearances, at the now-extinct Altoona Gingerbread Man especially. I remember seeing packed houses for the Giants, as crowds then discovered this band and their fresh blend of 80’s new wave and pop favorites, their labcoats, facepaints, and theatric edge.

I remember thinking at the time that although fresh at the time, that this show could get stale very quickly if the group didn’t change up their schtick or setlist. As time passed, members exited the band and others joined. The music slowly changed, with the Giants incorporating some newer songs into their predominantly 80’s mix. The Giants also introduced a few audience games and other gags to keep crowds amused and happy. They also began performing beyond the general bar circuit, entertaining at festivals, carnivals, fire companies, and other situations. Over the years, the group slowly weened the audience off the facepaints and the schtick.

Ten years later, the Giants Of Science remain one of the state’s most widely popular bands. And this night at the 4D’s Lounge – as was the case a decade ago when the group was playing at the Altoona Gingerbread Man – the room was packed. But of the faces of the crowd were different – a whole new generation of Giants fans was in the house and ready to party down.

I arrived midway through the group’s first set, and due to the packed crowd, was relegated to a table in the rear of the room near the stairway. Without their facepaints and labcoats this night, the Giants Of Science already had the dance floor filled as they finished out their set with such 80’s favorites as Billy Idol’s “Dancing with Myself,” Men At Work’s “Who Can It Be Now,” Simple Minds’ “(Don’t You) Forget About Me,” Flock of Seagulls’ “I Ran” and the Outfield’s “Your Love.”

After about a 30-minute break, the Giants were back for their second round, kicking off with Journey’s “Separate Ways.” Almost instantly the dance floor again filled up, and the Giants kept it full and jumping with 80’s tunes from The Cure, Bryan Adams, Bangles, Culture Club, Prince, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Rick James, John Mellencamp, more Men At Work and more. The group sprinkled in a few 90’s and recent favorites from James, Pearl Jam and 3 Doors Down, and closed the set with Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl.”

The Giants were doing a good job thus far. Having recently moved from bass to guitar, Mick was holding his own on the latter instrument. Crow did a good job with the lion’s share of lead voice duties, while playing bass. Scotty B provided the new-wavy edge with his key-tar, while Jamie kept a steady beat on the drums. Together these Giants were playing some good solid rock and roll, and kept the party moving forward at a steady clip. The dance floor stayed constantly packed, with more audience arriving at the 4D’s entrance throughout the course of the night thus far.

After a quick ten-minute break, the Giants Of Science returned to send the party down the homestretch, kicking off with Bon Jovi’s “Living On A Prayer.” The Giants kept the flavor 80’s with Don Henley’s “The Boys of Summer,” Beastie Boys “Fight For Your Right (to Party)” and Violent Femmes’ “Blister In The Sun,” before shifting more recent with Wheatus’ “Teenage Dirtbag.” The group then broke out a pair of late 70’s favorites, Tom Petty’s “American Girl” and Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me,” before finishing out the party in 80’s mode with the Bangles’ “Walk Like an Egyptian” and Guns’N’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’ Mine.”

This night showed me several things. First, the Giants Of Science not just survived over the past ten years, but have thrived. They have kept their formula simple through it all, maintaining their emphasis on the 80’s, but being flexible enough to include some current hits to keep it fresh. They’ve kept their mood friendly, happy and fun. And based on this huge 4D’s crowd this night, the group has transcended their original fan base, and has turned on a whole new and young legion of fans. The Giants Of Science’s party rolls on, and shows no signs of slowing down.

And perhaps in their second decade as a band, they will eventually get that damned CD done…

Crow of Giants Of Science.

The Giants Of Science rock the packed 4D’s dance floor.

Scotty B and Mick of Giants Of Science.

Mick of Giants Of Science.

Again keeping the 4D’s dance floor happy, Giants Of Science.

Scotty B of Giants Of Science.

More dance floor pandemonium with the Giants Of Science.

“Take our picture!” Okay!

BAD DAZE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 1/8/06

After performing my weekly Sunday night “Backyard Rocker” duties, I was off to Pellegrine’s, as my good night was ending with Bad Daze.

The group had a modest crowd in attendance as I arrived during their second set. Singer Rob Carolus, guitarist Kenny Murdick, bassist Paul Rainey and drummer Randy Wilson were chugging through a rendition of Pantera’s “Walk,” before wrapping the set with their Motley Crue medley, fusing together portions of “Shout At The Devil,” “Looks That Kill,” “Wild Side,” “Girls Girls Girls,” “Dr. Feelgood,” “Home Sweet Home” and “Live Wire.”

As had been the trend in recent weeks, I found myself shifting attention between the main band room and the back area by the door, where the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse had brought another ‘DVD of the Week’ to play on the house DVD player and widescreen television, Star Wars: Episode 1 “The Phantom Menace.” I found myself paying attention to yet another Star Wars saga I had not yet seen. Fortunately, the movie had pretty much wrapped up by the time Bad Daze was entering their homestretch set.

Current rock favorites were the order for the third set, as Bad Daze came at the Pelly’s crowd with tunes from Disturbed, Static X, Drowning Pool., Eminem, Weezer and more, eventually ending the set with Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me.” Along the way, some revelers converged on the stagefront dance floor area to get their last dance moves out of their systems for the weekend, and this same crowd called for an encore as Bad Daze wrapped their set. The group responded quickly with one more song, the Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right (to Party).”

Although no attendance records were set this night, it appears that Bad Daze is starting to accumulate at least a few Altoona fans, and that their name and party presentation seems to be sinking in on the Pellegrine’s populace. It might take a little while to build a crowd, but both Bad Daze and Pellegrine’s seem devoted to making it happen. Hopefully their perseverance will pay off.

Paul Rainey of Bad Daze has some company…

Bad Daze, partying down with the stagefront fans.

Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Randy Wilson of Bad Daze.

“Take my picture in front of the band!” Okay!

Once again, Bad Daze.

Again, Randy Wilson of Bad Daze.

Kenny “Old Skool” Murdick of Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick and Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Bad Daze, with Pellegrine’s ladydom joining them onstage.

The Bad Daze onstage party continues.

“Old Skool” has a crowd behind him.

One more time, Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Highjinks behind the back bar with Forrest and Natalie.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: