· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 11/24/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Jan 14, 2004 

WEEKEND RECAP 11/24/03

PADDYWAK @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 11/21/03

As is often the case, this night I decided to take on the new band in town – York’s Paddywak – making their first area appearance at Peter C’s.

And as is often the case when a new band debuts in our fair town, attendance at Peter C’s was disappointingly light. This was too bad, because most of the ‘Toona missed out on a worthy band.

Complete with their own tiki god onstage, Paddywak – singer Tad, bassist Justin Shaffer, guitarist Todd Huber and drummer Christopher Rosier – fired off three strong sets mixing current and recent rock favorites, select classics, a few original tunes and a sense of humor. The first set contained favorites from Blink 182, Greenday, Cold, Lit, Bush, Jimmy Eats World and more; along with a feisty version of Duran Duran’s “Hungry Like the Wolf,” powered by a Sammy Hagar “I Can’t Drive 55”-like beat courtesy of Christopher. Tad broke the ice with the Peter C’s crowd with a Michael Jackson joke (this show happened right after the story about Michael’s current legal problems broke). The group generated some decent energy early on, and their treatment of Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl” by request triggered the first dance floor action of the night. Paddywak also broke out one original song during this set, I believe called “You Can’t Tell Me.”

Paddywak’s second set picked up where their first set left off. The group kept the current rock coming with tunes from Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Collective Soul, Chevelle, Fuel and more. The group also broke out another original song, “Haven,” a midtempo rocker with a respectable melody and hook. Again the group kept it crisp-sounding and exciting, mixing more humor in along the way. And at least a few times, some ladies were drawn onto Peter C’s dance floor to groove to Paddywak’s presentation.

The third set quickly re-established Paddywak’s energy level, as the group kept the pace uptempo with favorites from Stroke 9, Creed, Jimmie’s Chicken Shack, Hoobestank, System Of A Down and more. The group briefly diverted to a 70’s funk side journey featuring Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music” and The Commodores’ “Brickhouse.” Frontman Tad enlisted the help of former 7-9-And-Out bassman Moose to chime in on the choruses of Puddle Of Mudd’s “She Hates Me;” before the group ended the evening with a sturdy version of Pearl Jam’s “Black.”

Paddywak was instrumentally strong, and their vocals and vocal harmonies were on target. The group was on the same page the whole night, and confidently executed their material. Peter C’s soundman Rich Johnson had a good mix working for the group, and they sounded crisp and balanced. Plus Paddywak was entertaining, presenting a fun personality and sense of humor. The light attendance didn’t seem to get this band down; they still broke a sweat to give the folks who did show up a good time.

It was also cool to see former Pellegrine’s kitchen man Jim and his wife, Dawn (both now operating a pizza shop in the York area), making the roadtrip in with Paddywak to revisit the ‘Toona.

I came away impressed with my first look at Paddywak. This is a band that has the potential to develop into a regional powerhouse in the not-too-distant future, once more audiences and venues get to experience their rocking party. Hopefully their first Altoona visit won’t be their last.

Justin Shaffer of Paddywak.

Christopher Rosier of Paddywak.

Tad(pole) of Paddywak.

Tad and Justin of Paddywak.

Todd Huber of Paddywak.

With their proud tiki god in front, Paddywak rocks Peter C’s.

Paddywak frontman Tad receives some help from the Peter C’s peanut gallery, as former 7-9-and-Out bassist Moose sings backing vocals.

PA MUSICIAN TOYS FOR TOTS BENEFIT @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 11/22/03

For the past several years, Pennsylvania Musician Magazine has presented holiday season benefit concerts. Up until last year, these shows took place in the magazine’s home region, the Harrisburg area, and benefited either Toys for Tots or the Salvation Army. Last year, presented in conjunction with Black Thorn Entertainment, the benefit took place a little farther west, in Lewistown. This year, the event moved even further west, and took place for the first time in the Altoona area, at City Limits.

First, a big thanks to the band Shift. Shift was originally booked to perform a paying gig this night at City Limits, but willingly gave up their gig to enable the benefit to take place. The pieces of the benefit came together fairly easily, with Shift, Felix & the Hurricanes, Bad Daze, and the debut performance of Wake Up Screaming setting the stage for a great night of live rock and roll to help out the U.S. Marine Corps’ Toys for Tots campaign.

For me, this would be a busy night. This would be Pennsylvania Musician first couple Whitey and Robin Noll’s first-ever visit to Altoona and City Limits. When a truck accident blocked Route 453 and the route I had given the Noll’s directions for, I had to give them alternate directions over the cell phone to drive over Brush Mountain via Frankstown Road and get onto I-99 north to get to their hotel room and City Limits. But they made it in, none worse for the wear, and Whitey became the first person ever to enter City Limits while strumming a ukulele.

Whitey and Robin were eagerly anticipating the start of the benefit, and their first look at a band I had written about numerous times in Pennsylvania Musician, Felix & the Hurricanes. And although I have seen this band many times over the years, it took an observation from Whitey to enable me to appreciate another dimension of the Hurricanes and what they do. Citing how many of today’s rock bands are more concerned with sounding heavy and aggressive and “rocking,” Whitey observed that relatively few bands still “roll” – as in “rock’n’roll.” But he observed that The Hurricanes were a band that hadn’t forgotten how to “roll;” their sound has an underlying soul to it, and still displays that connection to the blues and country roots where rock’n’ROLL came from. That underlying soul was apparent as the Hurricanes’ set unfolded, with original songs such as “Backyard Rocker,” “Free,” “Walking A Straight Line,” “Issues,” “Keep On Rockin,’” “The Lonely One” and more. Besides their original songs, the ‘Canes broke out a smoking version of Charlie Daniels’ “In America” towards mid-set, and – reminiscing the days when they used to play every Tuesday here at City Limits – capped their set in fiery fashion with the Ted Nugent double-shot of “Great White Buffalo” and “Stranglehold.” The crowd steadily filed in the door as the Hurricanes played, and although early, the ‘Canes were playing to a healthy Saturday night crowd by the time their set concluded.

Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes.

Felix Kos of The Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes kick off the Toys for Tots benefit.

Once again, Hurricane Felix.

Bob Watters of The Hurricanes.

After a relatively short intermission, Bad Daze escalated the party with their high-energy set of current heavy rock and 80’s metal. Frontman Rob Carolus immediately took charge, confidently striding out into the City Limits audience, serenading revelers and working his way all around the room. This man was constant movement on and off the stage, and evidenced by this performance, is quickly establishing himself as one of the region’s most energized frontmen this side of Stept On’s Chuck! Meanwhile onstage, the rest of Bad Daze was representing well; guitarist Kenny Murdick lit up his fretboard early and often – dazzling the City Limits crowd with his best Eddie Van Halen display on “Eruption” into “Panama,” and blistering the hot Randy Rhoads-like lead during Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train.” Kenny, drummer Harry Rainey and surrogate bassist Dave Wise clicked like a well-oiled machine as they rocked the house on songs from Bush, Billy Idol, Puddle Of Mudd, Bon Jovi, Alice In Chains, Poison, Eminem, AC/DC and more. Even despite the temporary transitional phase of the group’s rhythm section, Bad Daze further established themselves as a serious threat to become one of this region’s premiere party forces; and it is likely this strong performance increased their fan base.

Bad Daze frontman Rob Carolus pays Pennsylvania Musician editor Robin Noll a visit.

Bad Daze takes their turn at the Toys for Tots benefit.

Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick, commencing his “Eruption.”

The “Eruption” grows more intense…

Kenny achieves full meltdown…

Kenny and Rob of Bad Daze, bringing the party…

Bad Daze’s surrogate bassist, Dave Wise.

Once again, Kenny Murdick and Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick and Dave Wise of Bad Daze.

One more time, Kenny and Rob of Bad Daze.

After Bad Daze’s set, a U.S. Marine Corps representative from the Ebensburg base came up to the stage and addressed the crowd about this season’s Toys for Tots campaign, telling them that some 900 families from throughout our region had already applied for assistance from the Toys for Tots program, and that the audience’s generosity this night would help to fulfill at least some of those needs.

Shortly afterward, it was Shift’s turn to crank up the party, and they did. Opening with a tongue-in-cheek rendition of Southern Culture On The Skids’ “Camel Walk,” Shift presented a lighthearted, fun set that blended current and classic rock favorites. Shift’s focal point was frontman Martin Lybek, who quickly took charge of the party. Martin quickly drafted a number of female audience members to become dancefloor participants, pulling them on the floor to kickstart Shift’s dance party. Martin also established himself this night as the “Man of 1,000 Hats,” changing headgear after nearly every song, from wigs to umbrella hats to cowboy hats and more. Martin, drummer Phil Hopnick, bassist Joe Pyzowski and guitarist Dave Wertz (playing his last show with the band this night) fired off tunes from the Kinks, Ramones, Good Charlotte, Offspring, Steppenwolf, Beastie Boys, Blur, Kid Rock and more; and kept the vibe happy throughout their set.

Martin Lybek of Shift.

Taking Shift’s party to the crowd, frontman Martin Lybek.

Ready in case the sprinkler system comes on, Martin Lybek of Shift.

Phil Hopnick of Shift.

Shift, partying down at City Limits.

I somehow don’t think that’s his natural hair color…Martin Lybek of Shift.

Again, Phil Hopnick of Shift.

Playing his final gig with Shift, Dave Wertz (who now runs sound and helps the band offstage).

More audience members were still filing through the door during the final intermission of the night, further packing the house for the debut of Wake Up Screaming. Fans quickly congregated on the dance floor in front of the stage in anticipation of the debut of the area’s newest band. Soon the former Stept On rhythm section of bassist Adam Zimmer and drummer Jim Bagrosky; former I Enemy guitarist Rich Johnson; and veteran light technician-turned-singer Bryan Gisewhite emerged onstage. Wake Up Screaming roared out the gate, putting pedal to the metal with unapologetic current and classic heavy rock, kicking off with old-school Suicidal Tendencies, and proceeding with music from Tool, Pantera, Helmet, Black Sabbath, Rage Against the Machine, Deftones, Motorhead and more, including one original song. Although the group appeared a little stiff from nerves early on, Wake Up Screaming quickly gained confidence as the audience cheered unanimous approval. As expected, instrumentally this band was strong and powerful, with Adam, Jim and Rich generating a thunderous, intense wall of sound. The relative unknown factor was Bryan; I had witnessed him make cameo appearances at Badwrench and Stept On shows to sing lead on Red Hot Chili Peppers and other select tunes – how would he do in his first official full-time frontman role? Ultimately, the answer was well, as he proved he could not only deliver the sass, but also unleash the beast with ferocious lead snarling on heavier fare from Static X, Pantera, Deftones and more. City Limits yelled unanimous approval, as Wake Up Screaming’s long-anticipated debut was a successful one.

Adam Zimmer of Wake Up Screaming.

Rich Johnson of Wake Up Screaming.

Again, Rich Johnson of Wake Up Screaming.

One more time for good measure, Rich Johnson of Wake Up Screaming.

Jim Bagrosky of Wake Up Screaming.

Bryan Gisewhite of Wake Up Screaming.

Once again, Adam Zimmer of Wake Up Screaming.

At the end of the night, the monies and numbers were tallied, counted and added up. The monetary amount raised came up just shy of $1,120. City Limits main man Claudio quickly drew up a check, and yours truly presented the check onstage to the Marine Corps contingent. In addition to the money, a good number of toys were also collected at the front door. The bottom line: the first ever Pennsylvania Musician Toys for Tots Benefit here in the Altoona area was a huge success. One of the Marines told me that this was the most ever raised from a single event for this region’s Toys for Tots effort, and they were blown away by the support shown this night. On behalf of Whitey, Robin and Pennsylvania Musician, BIG THANKS to Claudio and his staff at City Limits; all four bands for bringing their ‘A’ game and making their sets count onstage; the U.S. Marine Corps representatives (who received constant appreciation from numerous audience members throughout the night); and of course, the hundreds of fans who came out to support this show – including members of Johnstown, Clearfield, Bellefonte and other nations representing! This turned out to be an excellent night, enough so that plans are already afoot for a sequel to this concert at the beginning of next holiday season! Stay tuned!

A healthy cache of toys was raised for the cause.

Yours truly, presenting the check to a U.S. Marine Corps Toys for Tots representative. (Thanks to Danette for taking this photo.)

Yours truly and some happy Marines. (Thanks again Danette!)

JUICED @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 11/23/03

Another Sunday night found me concluding my weekend at Pellegrine’s, and catching the latest episode of Juiced. I didn’t know if this month’s episode could top the October episode featuring frontlady Carrie’s close birthday encounter with a male stripper; but I was sure that she and the rest of Juiced would be game for trying.

A healthy crowd was in attendance as I arrived late during Juiced’s second set. Quickly I took notice of some songs I heretofore had not heard Juiced perform before, Ozzy Osbourne’s “No More Tears” and Pantera’s “Walk.” I also noted a goodly number of inebriated revelers and female fans in the house (including inebriated female fans, the two groups were not exclusive to each other).

Juiced’s final set of the night was a little more routine, starting with guitarist Norm Marks on lead mic to croon Dion’s “Runaround Sue.” The nostalgic phase of Juiced’s performance continued with keyboard man Doug Buch singing Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline,” with numerous female fans adorning the stage area. Frontlady Carrie and co. quickly got back down to serious business with Rage’s “Killing In The Name,” before another interesting twist we don’t often see…With bassman Greg Folsom taking over lead mic for James’ “Laid,” frontlady Carrie strapped on Greg’s bass and provided bottom end for the tune! The Juiced party rode a high crescendo through tunes from the Beastie Boys, Kid Rock, Twisted Sister, Lit, and the set finale, Korn’s “Blind,” bringing the full headbanging fury of Juiced’s Pellegrine’s minion to the front of the stage. Demanding an encore, the crowd was given the choice of several songs, and the Pellegrine’s democratic process selected Drowning Pool’s “Bodies” to finish the night.

A few interesting twists and turns made this Juiced party an interesting one, and the large crowd and lively mood at Pellegrine’s made for a fun ending to another weekend.

Yes, she can play bass, too…Carrie of Juiced, alongside guitarist Norm Marks.

And she can sing…Carrie of Juiced.

Once again, Carrie of Juiced.

Greg Folsom of Juiced.

One more time, Carrie Rapaport of Juiced.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: