· The Final Cut
Tuning Keys
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jan 29, 2004 

I'm in need of some new tuning keys, first off , never used the Sperzel locking keys so........ Do they work or am I just as well off with a set of grover or regular sperzel tuners. I don't like fighting with locking nuts and floyd rose so thats out. I used to use a strat with a graphite nut and string retainers and I could do all kinda whammy shit on it and stay in tune. I have 2 custom builts right now with graphite nuts and all but I haven't been getting the same tuning stability I had so I'm blaming the keys wich are carvin, I like all other carvin products but the keys must be the week point.

Opinions?
 Back to top »
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you get the same tuners that were on the strat?

I always liked the locking nut and floyd combo. They're great until it comes time to change strings. My POS guitar has stayed in tune (except maybe for minor fine tuner tweaking) for many months at a time. Wild whammy stuff doesn't phase the tuning one bit. One tip when changing strings on a floyd is not to take all of the strings off unless you're doin' an overhaul. That way you can keep the tension the entire time. Still don't help if you break a string during a solo, but there is some new bolt-on hardware on the market that is supposed to keep correct tension on the remaining strings. Sort of like Fisher's trems.
facingwest
Retroactive Member
Retroactive Member

A buddy of mine has Sperzel locking tuners on a few of his guitars and they work fine for him. He was in the same boat as you and didn't want a locking nut. From what he told me, he REALLY likes the Sperzel's and his guitars don't fall out of tune.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Sunday Feb 01, 2004 

I am using sperzel locking tuners on a 1989 Gibson Flying V90 Double and a 1986 Jackson Soloist (San Dimas vintage). They work great on the Gibson (no whammy) and very well with the Jackson. The Jackson has a Kahler surface mount whammy (no routing) with rollers and a roller nut and I have very few problems with tuning. I won't go as far to say that they work as well as a locking nut, but its close. They beat the hell out of regular tuners.

Nothing, and I mean nothing will allow you to restring a guitar faster that sperzel locking tuners. You just pull the string thru, tighten the lock and tune up. The only trouble I ever had was overtightening the locks can cause problems with them on the next restring. A little tap puts them back in order.

Another alternative to the hex locking nuts are the pushpin type locking nuts. I never used them, so I don't know how good they are, but its gotta be easier than those damned little allen wrenches.
facingwest
Retroactive Member
Retroactive Member

Post Posted: Monday Feb 02, 2004 

Here's a new design that I'm dying to hear how good it is or not. Check it out. http://www.bcrich.com/2003/nj_series.htm I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a fad. heh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Punkinhead
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

less than a minute? hmm...interesting

you could always try what Yngwie said worked best for him. He would only wind his strings a little less than one full turn around the tuning peg. He said he could whatever he wanted then and it'd stay in tune. Although with the amount of booze and drugs he was doing at the time, I'd say he just had an awesome tech.

Locking tuners are nice, especially if the floyd rose system is something you don't like
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

The speedloader thing is pretty cool, but who else is gonna make the custom strings?

It seems none of the major online store chains carry Floyd Rose stuff anymore and the strings are $11 at www.floydrose.com. That better be a damn good sounding/lasting string @ $11.

Whatever tech restrung the Speedloader in a minute could probably restring my Jackson in a minute using regular strings:

1. Thread the string in the tuner eyelet.

2. Pull the string ball over the string catch on the Kahler (similar to the speed loader).

3. Pull the string tight up at the tuner.

4. Tighten the string lock.

Are their any Steinberger users with tales of custom strings?

Last edited by lonewolf on Tuesday Feb 03, 2004; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

I never used strings specially made for my original Floyd, I just cut off the ball end, made a 90° bend in the string and put it on.

The speedloader Floyd strings are a different story, looks a lot like the Steinberger trans-trem stringing method.
Strings for the trans-trem are still available on the net for for about $8 per pack w/o shipping.
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Thanks for the replies, seems like Sperzels locking tuners will be the deal for me. I know a floyd rose may give the best results and I guess the Steinberger whammy is supposed to be pretty good but I would rather stay away from all that.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: