· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 1/16/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Nov 05, 2006 

WEEKEND RECAP 1/16/06

FLORD @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 1/13/06

It had been almost a year since the last time I had seen area metallists Flord in action, going back to last year’s Underground TV-sponsored show at Crowbar with Fink’s Constant and The Nightcrawlers. Flord had since released their sophomore album, The Next Level, and were starting to play out more frequently in support of the album. This night, I caught up with Flord at Aldo’s.

I arrived to find a packed house, with metal fans, Flord fans, and fans of the opening band, 4 Days Dirty. I missed 4 Days Dirty’s set, but Flord was under way and rocking strong. Singer Butch Woodward, guitarist Phil Keith, bassist Tom Yannitelli and drummer Don Frye were mixing original songs and heavy-rocking covers, in the midst of Godsmack’s “Whatever” as I entered the venue. The group then did the title track from The Next Level, followed by White Zombie’s “Thunder Kiss ’65.” Flord then dipped back to do a song from their self-titled first album, before doing another Godsmack number, “Bad Religion.” Butch then addressed the crowd, introducing a new number, “I’m Nothing, Pt. 2.” The onslaught of original metal continued with “Respect” and “Get Up” from The Next Level, another new original, “911,” and the prequel to a new original done earlier, “I’m Nothing, Pt. 1.” Flord then flexed their firepower on some Metallica, doing “Am I Evil” and “For Whom the Bell Tolls.” The group dug a little deeper for another cover selection, Down’s “Lifer,” before doing “Why You Hate Me” from [u]The Next Level.” Butch introduced another new original (I missed the title), and Flord mixed several more new and old originals, including “No Compromize” from the first album, before ending the night with their thunderous metal read of “House of the Rising Sun.”

Flord still is as intense and heavy as ever. Butch again reprised his role as one of this region’s most intense frontmen, selling his words with an enraged, commanding roar. Phil and Tom continually matched each other with intense, fast-firing, aggressive riffs. Tom’s basswork was fast and busy, and Phil again proved himself to be one of this area’s most lethal shredders. Don’s drum beats were thunderous and steady, providing the foundation and fuel for Flord’s wall of metal sound.

The Aldo’s crowd was into it all the way, rocking and grooving along at stagefront, and howling approval after each of Flord’s assaults. After a year away from performing in the Altoona area, it was cool to see that local metaldom hadn’t forgotten about Flord. This show re-established Flord as a metal force to be reckoned with on area stages; here’s hoping the group can keep the momentum going.

Butch Woodward of Flord.

Again, Butch Woodward of Flord.

Phil Keith of Flord.

Flord, putting pedal to the metal at Aldo’s.

Once again, Butch Woodward of Flord.

Tom Yannitelli of Flord.

Don Frye of Flord.

Tom Yannitelli of Flord.

Again, Phil Keith of Flord.

Now there’s an intense bass player! Again, Tom Yannitelli of Flord.

Yet again, Butch Woodward of Flord.

Once again, Tom Yannitelli of Flord.

Butch Woodward of Flord takes it to the fans at Aldo’s.

Once again, Phil Keith of Flord.

Yet again, Phil Keith of Flord.

Once again, Butch Woodward of Flord and some stagefront fans.

One more time, Phil Keith of Flord.

NORMAN NARDINI @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 1/14/06

Although he appeared at the Bavarian Hall with the Mannish Boys a little over a year ago, Norman Nardini hadn’t been on a public nightclub stage since the mid-90’s, when he performed at new Sebastiano’s (now City Limits). But Norman was making a wintertime return visit to the ‘Toona, to make his first ever appearance at Burgi’s Roundhouse. I was there!

I arrived at Burgi’s prior to the show to grab some supper, and accomplice Big Jim had already procured a booth with a decent view of the stage. Norman stopped by and chatted with us for a bit, before returning to the stage for some final preparations before showtime. Big Jim’s Half Tempted bandmate, Ronny D, subsequently joined us, as well as Yankee Rose, and we were set to take in the spectacle that was Norman Nardini.

The “undisputed, undefeated, uncrowned King of Pittsburgh Rock N Roll,” and his supremely talented bandmates, Hollidaysburg native Whitey Cooper on drums and Clearfield product Harry Bottoms on bass, soon took the stage and lit up the Roundhouse! After opening with a slow blues instrumental followed by a more uptempo surf-styled instrumental, Norman and mates stepped up the party with his rambunctious "Rock and Roll City," followed by "White Trash Tragedy." Proclaiming himself "young and pretty like Conway Twitty," Norman then introduced "Nothin' to Lose," before drummer Whitey Cooper showed his great vocalization talents on "Sick and Tired." After performing “That Girl Must Be From Graceland,” Norman acknowledged a woman celebrating her birthday, and bestowed a wish on her: “May the Monkey Of Love light up your evening!” After the slow and soulful “Keep On Keeping On,” Norman passed lead mic duties to bassman Harry to croon Roger Miller’s “King Of The Road.” The song “Mr. Right Now” resulted in the night’s first dancers on Burgi’s spacious dance floor. Norman kept it rowdy with Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” and Gladys Knight’s “I’ve Got to Use My Imagination,” followed by Elmore James’ “Shake Your Moneymaker” to end the set. Norman offered more quips along the way; remarking that he once told his dad, “I’m the fruit of your loins,” to which his father responded, “You got the fruit part right.”

After the intermission, the party continued with a surf-flavored instrumental, followed by a brief Norman pep rally for “YOUR Pittsburgh Steelers” before their playoff confrontation against the Colts in Indianapolis the following day. Then it was more barrelhouse Pittsburgh rock and roll with “Minimum Wage,” the “Steelers Fight Song” and “Send You Back Where You come From;” before Whitey again demonstrated his smooth voice on “Shama Lama Ding Dong.” Norman then introduced the driving “High Times,” which drew more dancers onto Burgi’s dance floor. Next was Buddy Holly/Rolling Stones’ “Not Fade Away,” the ballad “You Go Your Way, I’ll Go Mine” and the set finale, as Norman started with “Burnin’ Up” and diverted it into John D. Loudermilk/Sue Thompson’s appropriately-titled “Norman.” At one point, Norman and his bandmates kicked this tune into polka mode, and sent it out to their former bandmate, Gerry Stanek, in the audience.

Thus far, Norman was delivering the goods, and was bringing the party as only he could do it. "The manful handful, the beauty on duty, the wop wit da bop, the guinea wit da skinny, the Pittsburglar, the high priest from the church of Rock N Roll" and his supremely talented bandmates provided tasty rock'n'blues'n'soul original tunes and select favorites, excellent all-around musicianship, and Norman's trademark wit, sass and humor! Although Norman himself was a total show, he constantly allowed Whitey and Harry to enjoy some spotlight – I was especially blown away by Whitey's soulful higher-ranged voice! And Burgi’s was loving it; people were sticking around and applauding Norman, Whitey and Harry, and I ran into a few onlookers this night who hadn’t seen Norman perform since the 80’s, at rooms like the Coaches Inn (now City Limits) and Cisco’s.

Soon the party was set to resume. Norman and bandmates resumed the action with “Ain’t Gonna Happen,” segueing into “Truck Drivin’ Man,” during which Gerry Stanek joined onstage to play bass. Gerry remained onstage for one of Norman’s signature tunes, “Love Dog.” Norman was still cranking on all cylinders, his wit still sharp as a tack. He quipped with a particularly lively male dance floor reveler, telling him, “If you’re a man wearing the silken undershort, please leave the building.” He also bestowed the wish upon another reveler, “May you get your monkey kissed.” At this point, drum man Whitey Cooper again inherited the spotlight, singing smooth and soulful lead on Arthur Conley’s “Sweet Soul Music.” Norman and his band then finished out the night with one of their established showstoppers, their remake of Bob Marley’s “Smoke Two Joints.” During the song, two ladies and a guy headed to the dance floor and started cutting the rug, with the guy soon being bumped and ground against by the two ladies from front and back – to which Norman remarked, "We have a Manwich on the dance floor!"

What a show! Norman, Whitey and Harry were on top of their game throughout, performing their song selection like a well-oiled machine. Whitey and Harry were tight and in the pocket, and smoothly complemented their zany ringleader in whatever direction he steered the musical journey. Norman was especially on his game, schooling the Burgi’s audience in what Pittsville, Pennsyltucky rock and roll was all about. It was classic Norman Nardini from start to end.

I spoke with a few fans who hadn't seen Norman perform since the 80's when he played at Cisco's and Coaches Inn (now City Limits), and they were amazed that he was still as talented, wild and crazy as they remember him from back then. It was also cool to see the reaction of new fans witnessing him for the first time. Young and older fans were in the house, and Norman convincingly won them all over.

Bottom line, an excellent evening! And watch for "Norman, Roosevelt, Aloysius, Nicodemus, Amadeus, Valentino, Giovanni, Romeo, Bruno, Raphael, Lucien Nardini" to return to Burgi's in the months to come!

Norman Nardini and his band, making their Burgi’s debut.

Guest Gerry Stanek, standing in on bass with Norman Nardini.

Hollidaysburg’s own Whitey “Clyde” Cooper, laying down the beats for Norman Nardini.

The “manful hanful” himself, Norman Nardini.

Showing off his soulful singing voice, Whitey Cooper.

With guest Gerry Stanek on bass, Norman Nardini and his band.

Again, Norman Nardini.

The “wop wit da bop,” Norman Nardini.

Again, Norman Nardini and his band, making their Burgi’s debut.

Again, “the guinea wit da skinny,” Norman Nardini.

Once again, Norman Nardini and his band.

After the show, Ronny D of Half Tempted gets a photo taken with “the Pittsburglar,” Norman Nardini.

BANDITOS @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 1/15/06

With the Hurricanes on vacation this month, Banditos were filling in for them Sundays at the Hitching Post. So after completing Q94 “Backyard Rocker” duties this night, I headed to the post to see what they were up to.

A respectable crowd was on hand as singer Wally Archer, guitarist Phil Wagner, bassist/singer Bill Nusom and drummer Dave Russell mixed new and classic rock. The group was finishing up their set in the current rocking vein with tunes from Foo Fighters, Saliva, Puddle of Mudd and Godsmack.

Banditos’ last set kicked off with Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ’69,” and featured tunes from Seven Mary Three, Sugar Ray, Alice In Chains, Grand Funk Railroad, Velvet Revolver, Pink Floyd, John Mellencamp and more. Phil sang lead on an original number from his other band, Opposition, called “Sick Again.” Along the way, some special guests sang with Banditos, including Hurricanes frequent flyer guest Loren Johnson on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man,” and The Hitching Post’s own Faith on the Eagles’ “Hotel California.”

The vibe was happy and the crowd cheered Banditos along as they rocked the house. The group sounded in good form, with solid musicianship, good vocals and harmonies. Banditos triggered periodic dance floor action through the course of their show. In all, a good night of rock and roll at The Hitching Post to close out the weekend.

Wally Archer and Bill Nusom of Banditos.

Again, Wally and Bill of Banditos.

Banditos, pinch hitting for the Hurricanes at the Hitching Post on a Sunday night.

Wally Archer of Banditos.

Dave Russell of Banditos.

Phil Wagner of Banditos.

Wally Archer and Bill Nusom of Banditos. I think they were picking up the BBC World Service on the rabbit ears.

Sometimes, you just got to have a little Faith…The Hitching Post’s Faith, that is.

Once again with guest Faith singing lead, Banditos.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: