· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 1/23/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Nov 17, 2006 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 1/23/06

BLIND JONNY DEATH @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 1/18/06

The Nightspot Report gods at my workplace determined that I should be able to complete my duties early this night, thus I was off to the Hitching Post to check in with Clearfield’s celebrants of all things roots, Blind Jonny Death.

A decent-sized crowd was in place as I arrived and ordered up some ribs. Singer/guitarist Marc “L.C. Slim” Prave, upright bass player Ed “Red” McDonald and “The Reverend” Tom Hipps on snare drum proceeded to take the Post crowd through a lively roots and Americana journey. Their repertoire this night included original roots-geared compositions like “That Girl Is Hot,” “Driver Blues” and “Git Down on the Farm;” some early Elvis chestnuts such as “Devil In Disguise” (sent out to birthday celebrant Cindy), “Mean Woman Blues” and the night-ending rendition of “That’s Alright Mama” (turned into an extended, slowed-down jam); Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” and “Cry Cry Cry;” Hank Williams’ “Move In On Over” and “Hey Good Lookin;’” the Statler Brothers’ “Flowers On the Wall;” Big Bill Broonzy’s “Long Tall Mama;” and some Old Crow Medicine Show-resurrected vintage numbers like “Tell It to Me” and “Wagon Wheel.”

It was all a festive, Americana hoedown throwdown that set toes tapping, heads bobbing, and voices hooting and hollering; just the right tonic for a humpday night in ‘Toona town.

Blind Jonny Death, stretching their roots at the Hitching Post.

Again, Blind Jonny Death.

ROCK & RYE @ THE BELMAR HOTEL, ALTOONA 1/19/06

Able to escape the workplace somewhat early this night as well, I headed to the Belmar Hotel to indulge in the latter stages of acoustic intoxication with Rock and Rye.

Greg “Rock” Burley and Ryan “Rye” Clark were into the homestretch of the night’s performance, and were in the midst of Incubus’ “Drive” as I arrived. Next was the duo’s clever take on “Layla,” which started with the slow and bluesy Eric Clapton version, but gearshifted into the Derek and the Dominoes homestretch finish, performed on their acoustics – cool stuff! Next was the blended two-song medley of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Ballad of Curtis Loew” fused with Bad Company’s “Shooting Star,” before the group wrapped up the night with Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page” gearshifting into Puddle Of Mudd’s “She Hates Me.”

As always, I wish I could have arrived earlier to take in more of this show. But it was a good vibe as Greg and Ryan were having fun on this night’s musical journey, letting their acoustic intoxication and its nuances work their magic on the Belmar audience. Again, a fun time.

Rock and Rye, with their reminder to Altoona audiences that applause is customary at the end of songs and performances...

Greg Burley of Rock and Rye.

Ryan Clark of Rock and Rye.

PLAZMA @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 1/19/06

After Rock and Rye wrapped up their show around the 11:30 mark, I headed to City Limits to take in Plazma’s weekly Thursday sojourn. It was City Limits main man Claudio’s birthday, so I was there to help him celebrate as well.

Plazma was doing something a little bit different this night. Joining singer/guitarist Dustin Burley, bassist Brian Pavlic and drummer Kyle Kovach on the stage was a deejay, DJ Balz, who brought a different element – turntable scratching – into Plazma’s jam adventure. On paper this might look like a bad clash of styles, but as it played out on stage this night, it actually was interesting. Probably the most interesting result of this gathering was a nearly 30-minute jam that ultimately fused together Traffic’s “Light Up or Leave Me Alone” and Robert Palmer’s “Sneaking Sally Through the Alley,” which became a hypnotic improvisational jam session with Balz playing his turntable scratches off Dustin’s guitar explorations. It was something very different and interesting.

The mesmerizing effect was disrupted during the intermission, though, when Balz actually deejayed, spinning some loud rap/hip-hop/dance numbers. In front of an actual dance-happy crowd this would have worked, but during the intermission of a night of jam-geared music, it was irritating. Apparently some of the crowd agreed, they got up and left.

Soon Plazma returned and finished out the night with more traditional jam fare, tapping heavily into the Phish lexicon for this part of the journey.

Plazma’s continued onstage experimentation with a new element made this night interesting and worthwhile; we’ll see where Plazma chooses to take such journeys in future weeks.

Plazma with special guest DJ Balz, laying down the jam at City Limits.

Again, Plazma with DJ Balz.

During part of Plazma's jam journey, Dustin and Brian swap instruments and positions.

INSIDE OUT @ DAVEY’S, HASTINGS 1/20/06

Since their start in the early 90’s, one of my favorite bands on area stages has been Johnstown hard rockers Inside Out. I thought this band put out two excellent albums with their self-titled debut and its follow-up, Seasons. Inside Out had a good strong run on local and regional stages, disrupted when the group went through several line-up transformations later in the decade. Since then, though, Inside Out has maintained a presence on area stages as a trio, performing mostly in Cambria and Somerset Counties. When remaining founding member, guitarist and singer Tim Frick, informed me that Inside Out was playing their final show this night at Davey’s in Hastings, I knew I had to be in attendance to help send the Inside Out era out in glory. Tim cited changes in his personal life and a possible relocation to Los Angeles as factors in the decision.

Davey’s had a decent mid-sized crowd present as I arrived shortly before the start of Inside Out’s first set. Tim, bassist Larry “Lars” Philip and drummer Mark Gindlesperger mixed hard-rocking current and classic favorites over three sets, sprinkling in several original songs along the way. During the first set, Inside Out triggered dance action on Davey’s dance floor with tunes from Godsmack, Neil Young, Alice In Chains, Bush, Stevie Ray Vaughan, AC/DC, Sublime, Puddle Of Mudd and more; including one original song, “Inside Of Me.” Tim displayed some dazzling guitarwork along the way, especially on Neil Young’s “Rocking in the Free World,” and an impressive one-handed solo display on Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride and Joy.”

Inside Out’s second set featured tunes from Filter, White Zombie, Linkin Park, Nickelback, more Puddle Of Mudd, Godsmack, AC/DC and more. More original tunes were performed as well, including “Devils In the Soul” and one other I didn’t catch the title for. Interesting highlights during this set included the group’s rocking take on Cameo’s “Word Up,” and one of Inside Out’s showstoppers, their powerful version of Nine Inch Nails’ “Head Like a Hole.”

The crowd grew during the course of the night, and became a bit rowdier as well. I witnessed a bit of a domestic brew-ha-ha during the second intermission, and the bitchy wife (who was screaming her head off into some elderly woman’s ear) was getting the upper hand over the hubby, who fled for his life and sanity out the door. It was a wild Friday night in Hastings…

Inside Out’s third set finale saw the busiest dance floor action of the night, as the group rocked the house with songs from Audioslave, Violent Femmes, Poison, Buckcherry, more Godsmack, Nickelback, Drowning Pool and more. The group broke out one more of their own songs, the thunderous and anthemic “Taking My Life Back.”

This edition of Inside Out was steady and solid the entire night. Tim’s stunning guitarwork provided individual highlights throughout the night, but Lars and Mark provided the steady, hard-hitting rhythmic foundation throughout the whole night. The performances and pace were tight, and the show continually moved ahead. Inside Out’s last ride was a convincing farewell, and strong testimony to how well this present edition of the group had gelled over the past few years.

(A few weeks after this show, Tim informed me that he had a change of heart, and that Inside Out would continue on. According to Tim, the group plans to complete and release their third CD within the year.)

Here is some rough video I shot of Inside Out during their finale:

[url]<http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV08126.MPG[/url>]

Tim Frick of Inside Out.

Inside Out, playing (at least at the time) their swan song show at Davey's.

Again, Tim Frick of Inside Out.

Larry "Lars" Phillip of Inside Out.

Mark Gindlesperger of Inside Out.

Again, Mark Gindlesperger of Inside Out.

Once again, Inside Out.

Again, Larry "Lars" Phillip of Inside Out.

Showing some hot work on the fretboard, Tim Frick of Inside Out.

One more time, Tim Frick of Inside Out.

HALF TEMPTED @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 1/21/06

With snow showers forecasted for the mountaintops, my live music options were limited to the ‘Toona this night. I had pretty much “been there and done that” with everything in town this night, so I decided to kick back and enjoy a night of fun rock’n’roll with the Half Tempted gang at The Hitching Post.

A full house crowd was present as I entered the Post. Fortunately, a friend I hadn’t seen in a while, “Pap,” beckoned me to come join him and his wife at their table in the back of the band room.

Todd Hinkle opened the evening with some acoustic tunes, and would later perform during one of the intermissions as well.

Half Tempted didn’t waste any time getting down to business, instantly putting pedal to the metal with AC’DC’s “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap” to launch their first set. Singer/guitarist Ron Dalansky, bassist “Big Jim” Ricotta and drummer Steve McCulley kept the rock steady through the first set with favorites from Ted Nugent, Georgia Satellites, Poison, The Who, Tommy Tutone, Drivin’N’Cryin,’ Free, Judas Priest and more. Along the way, the group slowed it down once for Poison’s “Every Rose Has Its Thorn,” and honored an audience request for Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs.”

Along the way, more crowd arrived and the Hitching Post became even more packed. I noted a number of Rockpagers in the house, including pastajoe, nakedtwister, gazoo17 and banditos.

During the intermission, Todd Hinkle returned to the stage, and performed renditions of Elvis’ “Little Sister” and the Allman Brothers’ “One Way Out.”

Soon Half Tempted was back to rock the Hitching Post masses once again, this time kicking off with Aerosmith’s “Sweet Emotion.” The tunes came fast and furious, and the dance floor action intensified as the group fired through favorites from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Twisted Sister, Kiss, Seven Mary Three, Steppenwolf, more AC/DC, Ramones and more. The highlight during this set was during the middle, when Billy “banditos” Nusom took over Big Jim’s bass and former Korruption axeman Ryan McCulley strapped on the guitar and joined Half Tempted for renditions of Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music,” the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues” and Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid.”

It had become a rowdy good-time slobberknocker of a party, with rock’n’roll and beer flowing freely throughout the Hitching Post. It was so packed that I was pretty much relegated to my table in the back of the room most of the night, lest I had to patiently maneuver my way around the crowd to get to the men’s “beer deposit” room or to take pictures.

Half Tempted kept it rocking during the last set as well, with Billy rejoining the band to commence the set with Five Man Electrical Band/Tesla’s “Signs.” The group kept it more lighthearted and relaxed during the next few tunes, doing Van Morrison’s “Brown-Eyed Girl,” Garth Brooks’ “Friends In Low Places” and the Allman Brothers’ “Soulshine;” before rocking the night homeward with tunes from Cheap Trick, Judas Priest, Brownsville Station, Wilson Pickett, the Beastie Boys, and Eric Clapton’s “Cocaine” to close the set. But this rowdy Hitching Post crowd wasn’t letting this band quit yet, they demanded more, and received more with two encores. The first encore was Deep Purple’s “Smoke On the Water,” and the second featured special guest Denise Neely belting out lead voice on AC/DC’s “Whole Lotta Rosie.”

The story of this night was that the house was packed, and Half Tempted rocked them all! On a winter’s Saturday night in the ‘Toona, Half Tempted’s brand of basic and ballsy rock and roll reigned supreme at the Hitching Post, and sent everybody home at the end of the night soundly rocked and happy. Life was good.

Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted.

Steve McCulley of Half Tempted.

"Big Jim" Ricotta of Half Tempted.

Guest Ryan McCulley, sitting in with Half Tempted.

Bill Nusom and Ryan McCulley sit in with Half Tempted.

Half Tempted, rocking down the Hitching Post.

Steve McCulley of Half Tempted.

Again, Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted.

With Ryan McCulley helping out on vocals, Half Tempted.

"Big Jim" of Half Tempted, with Ryan singing lead.

One more time, Half Tempted.

HI-TYDE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 1/22/06

The Steelers had punched their ticket to the Super Bowl just hours before, and the party was still rip-roaring as I arrived at Pellegrine’s late Sunday night to check out Hi-Tyde.

Steeler jerseys were in abundance as singer Dale Nitti, guitarist Rob Sottile, guitarist/keyboardist Ted Depto, bassist Mike Weber and drummer Mike Davis partied down Pellegrine’s with their mix of current rock and party favorites. I arrived during the second set and watched as Hi-Tyde kept the party moving with tunes from Creed, Black Eyed Peas, Michael Jackson, Fountains Of Wayne, Rick Springfield, Cameo and more.

The nightcap set kicked off with Weezer’s “Beverly Hills,” and continued with songs from Bon Jovi, Outfield, Bryan Adams, Big & Rich, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Ugly Kid Joe, Tom Petty, the Bangles and more. The dance floor became busier as the evening progressed, and by set’s end, Pelly’s ladydom was joining and surrounding the Hi-Tyde crew onstage. Ahh, the life of a party band…

Bottom line – fueled by the festive mood brought about by the Steelers’ accomplishment earlier in the day, it was a good-time Hi-Tyde party to close out the weekend. Go Steelers!

Ted Depto and Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde.

Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde.

Rob Sottile of Hi-Tyde.

Hi-Tyde, partying down Pellegrine's.

Mike Davis of Hi-Tyde.

Again, Hi-Tyde and some happy Steeler fans.

Again, Rob Sottile of Hi-Tyde.

Once again, Hi-Tyde.

Once again, Rob Sottile of Hi-Tyde.

The Hi-Tyde party continues.

Again, Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde.

Dale Nitti and Rob Sottile of Hi-Tyde.

With a female guest helping out on vocals, Hi-Tyde.

Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde with a special guest.

Mike Davis of Hi-Tyde.

Some ladies get onstage to celebrate with Rob Sottile and Hi-Tyde.

Once again, Ted Depto of Hi-Tyde.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: