· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 2/16/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Mar 18, 2004 

WEEKEND RECAP 2/16/04

DAWN KINNARD/THE MISERY PARADE @ ZENO’S, STATE COLLEGE 2/12/04

I recently reported on what became of Dusk Till Dawn, the Americana music project assembled from the ashes of Queen Bee & the Blue Hornet Band. I reported that lead singer/guitarist Dawn (Nolten) Kinnard had left the group last year to pursue a solo career, and that guitarist Mark Ross, bassist Pat McGinnis and drummer Jack Wilkinson teamed with young Tyne Replogle to form Tyne & the Fastlyne. On this Thursday night, I decided to check out what Dawn Kinnard was up to, and journeyed to Zeno’s in State College to catch her usual weekly Thursday show.

Although I had hoped to catch more of her show, day-job duties and the 50-minute trek to State College from Altoona forced my late arrival at Zeno’s, and enabled me to catch only the last half hour of Dawn’s performance. This was the first time I had seen Dawn perform since she and Dusk Till Dawn performed at the Jim Rossi Memorial Benefit a few years ago at the Blair County Convention Center.

Singing and strumming her acoustic guitar, Dawn and keyboardist Rev. James Harton performed Dawn’s original songs, including tunes from her self-titled debut CD from last year. Dawn’s style is still folksy, and not far removed from what she used to do in Dusk Till Dawn (understandable, since she was that group’s primary songwriter). There was perhaps a slightly less rural twang to Dawn’s current sound; but her expressiveness, grit and vinegar were still there; as she sang songs about heartbreak, lonesomeness, uncertainty and moving on. On songs like “Turpentine,” “Magic” and more, Dawn convincingly conveyed the mood of a woman who has been on the ropes, who has weathered the adversity and came away better off for it. Most of the mid-sized Zeno’s audience appeared to be paying close attention to Dawn; the raw emotion and power of her delivery kept observers riveted.

After Dawn’s show concluded, I endured a 90-minute changeover intermission to catch a set from the next band, advertised as The Misery Parade. Once I found out who this band actually was, I did one of those “Damn, I could have had a V8!” forehead slaps…DUH! One Man Misery Parade happens to be the title of the solo album released by Maxwell Strait guitarist/singer Ted McCloskey a year and a half ago; logically, The Misery Parade turned out to be Ted’s band, comprised mostly of members of Maxwell Strait!

Ted, singer Molly Countermine, bassist Rene Witszke and drummer Daryl Branford encountered technical problems early on with lots of feedback squeaks raising eyebrows throughout the venue. After the group took a short pause to rectify this, they went on to perform, essentially, a Maxwell Strait set, showcasing original songs from Maxwell Strait’s forthcoming new album (to be released in early April) and Ted’s One Man Misery Parade CD, loosely referred to as ‘the latest album.’ From Ted’s album, The Misery Parade did “Beautifully Dead,” “Let-Me-Go-or-Let-Me-In” and “The Siamese Sisters.” Like their previous Maxwell Strait material, the new songs tapped that similar catchy rock-meets-funk-meets-blues vein with elaborate, engaging melodies and spirited performances. Molly and Ted were both in fine voice this night; Molly is also one of the region’s more animated performers, displaying constant movement and expressions to help sell each song’s lyrics. Ted’s guitarwork was fiery and fluid; and even despite the early technical glitches, this Maxwell Strait offshoot was amazing.

Interested in getting maximum bandwatching out of this State College roadtrip, I decided to depart Zeno’s after The Misery Parade’s first set; I had one more band yet to discover this night…

THE NIGHTCRAWLERS @ PHYRST, STATE COLLEGE 2/12/04

While at Zeno’s, I briefly spoke with former Marauders manager Tom Spalding, who gave me a tip that another band in town to check out this night was The Nightcrawlers, who were performing at the Phyrst. So after The Misery Parade’s first set, I decided to head to the Phyrst and catch the Nightcrawler’s nightcap set.

I arrived just as the group was finishing up their second set; they were in the midst of Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick In The Wall.” Tom Spalding had mentioned to me that the Nightcrawlers’ guitarist could wail on his instrument, and judging on what I saw just on this tune, Tom was absolutely right! This guitarist, Noah Figlin, could jam!

During the intermission, I jockeyed for a better vantage position to view the third set, and fortunately was able to procure a table close to the front of the stage. Although not packed, Phyrst was still busy with students platooning in and out. And Ernie’s Steaks above the Phyrst was doing a good business, as food was still being shuttled downstairs and the smell of steak sandwiches and fries was wafting throughout the room.

Soon the band returned to the stage, this time with a guest. A singer and harmonica player named Jason (who, it turns out, opened the show earlier in the evening) sat in and fronted the Nightcrawlers during Bob Dylan’s “Knocking On Heaven’s Door.” This song also showcased the sax-playing skills of the group’s substitute member this night, Chris Byrne. (Chris’ daughter, Aeb, who plays keys and flute in the group, was unavailable this night, so Chris was filling in.) The Nightcrawlers then performed one of several original compositions in this set, an extended instrumental piece which shifted gears between blues, rock and Latin flavors; along the way showcasing the group’s instrumental skills – particularly Noah on guitar, Chris on sax, and bassist Mike Leitzel. The group then did a version of the Police’s “Walking On The Moon;” this was highlighted by Noah’s high-ranging Sting-like howl and Chris’s organ groan underscoring the sound. This song also drew a dancing wildman to the front of the stage to get his groove on. The group then broke into the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues,” again showcasing Noah’s clean and fiery guitar fireworks during an extended midsong solo. After another song (I think possibly a more obscure U2 number, I’m not sure), a funk/jazz-flavored instrumental then finished out the night, again showcasing the instrumental talents of this group.

From what I got to see this night, The Nightcrawlers are a band on the rise. Noah, Steve, Chris and drummer Steve Arnold were a solid unit this night, and the group demonstrated some impressive instrumental flare. Noah showed ample credentials on both voice and guitar; the rhythm section was strong, and substitute player Chris – himself a seasoned State College music scene vet – seemed at home and comfortable in this setting. I’ll have to make a point to catch this group again soon, when Aeb is back in the line-up; but for the moment, I liked what I observed, and came away impressed with the Nightcrawlers had to offer.

The Nightcrawlers, entertaining at the Phyrst.

Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

Again, Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

The Nightcrawlers continue their party at the Phyrst.

FRAYED/DRIVEN @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 2/13/04

It’s funny how things work out sometimes.

As you might recall, I had recently gone to see Driven at Peter C’s, at the persistent encouraging of one of that band’s members, drummer Bob Frye. But when I showed up the night after Christmas to see them, 80% of the lineup was stricken with the flu, and were struggling onstage just to survive the night. I knew I would have to do a follow-up and catch Bob and the band when everyone was healthy and back to 100%.

So I showed up at Peter C’s this night to catch the healthier Driven, and guess what? Bob, who had lobbied me to come see Driven perform, was released by the band earlier in the week! What luck! I would instead get to see Driven’s first appearance with Bob’s replacement behind the drum kit, former Stix and Stones/Stems & Seeds drummer Jamie Kmett.

But first was the opening band this night, Frayed. Citing recent criticisms of Peter C’s restrooms on the Rockpage message board, Frayed frontman Dave Moses commenced the evening by addressing the issue and refuting those claims, telling the assembled audience that he had been in to take a look and that “Pete’s bathrooms are lemony fresh!”

From there, Dave, guitarist Scott Bush, bassist Bob Gailey and drummer Rusty Reihart delivered their set of rigid, bare-bones, original modern metal. Frayed’s song arsenal this night ranged from rapidfire assaults like “For the Last Time” to thunderous originals like “From the Mountains” and “Picture of My Disease.” The group also fired off exercises in brutality such as “Nobody Knows Me,” “Exposed to My Belief,” “Song Number 2” and more. Frayed’s song material was heavy and savage, yet detailed and instrumentally challenging. Rusty’s pulverizing beats, Bob’s lean bass lines and Scott’s hefty chords and searing solo work shaped the terse backdrop for Dave’s caustic Blitz (Overkill)-meets-Udo (Accept) snarl. Frayed’s execution was tight and tenacious, and the group functioned well as a unit. Dave’s performance was appropriately intense and over-the-top. Less banter and tighter pacing between songs should improve Frayed’s presentation; but judging by this set, the group is coming along well, and should continue to emerge into one of this region’s heavyweight contenders.

Long since recovered from the flu, and breaking in a new drummer; Driven was set to answer a few questions for me onstage this night. Just what was the musical flavor and personality of this band now? And would the components all fit together as effectively as Driven’s earlier incarnation?

As Driven’s two sets unfolded, some of those questions were answered. The group opened with a version of Rage Against the Machine’s “Sleep Now in the Fire,” and proceeded to give the Peter C’s crowd an “AOR” – All Over the Road – mix of metal, modern rock, classics and more. The group shifted from Good Charlotte’s “Little Things” to Tool’s “Sober” to Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man” to Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music” and more. It was impossible to forecast where exactly Driven would head next. Green Day’s “When I Come Around,” Papa Roach’s “Last Resort,” half a Creed song, American Hi-Fi’s “Flavor of the Weak” and Godsmack’s “Bad Religion” finished out Driven’s first set.

For the most part, Driven was instrumentally sound. As expected, there were a few minor derailments as the group settled in with new drummer Jamie, and the one major trainwreck of the abandoned Creed song; but the components of Driven’s attack – Jamie, guitarists Mike Snyder and Warren Beegle, and bassist Josh Michaels – were on target more often than not. Frontman James Musselman’s voice was back in good form, and again displaying good power and range. Acknowledging that the group was working in a new drummer, James continuously apologized to the crowd throughout the night for any miscues, promising that the group would improve in the weeks ahead as this line-up kept playing together and tightening up.

Much like the first set, Driven’s nightcap set also varied in musical direction. The group opened with the Disturbed heavy take on Tears for Fears’ “Shout,” and continued heavy with Chevelle’s “Red” before shifting into modern punkish mode on New Found Glory’s “My Friends Over You.” Next was Nickelback’s “How You Remind Me,” before Driven shifted into oldies gear for Ben E. King’s “Stand By Me,” highlighted by the group’s headbanging chorus sections. The group shifted heavy once again for Godsmack’s “Awake” and Disturbed’s “Sickness,” before honoring audience requests for repeat performances of “Play That Funky Music” and “Sober” to finish out the show.

My report card on Driven came up mixed after this night. The group showed me they are fairly solid instrumentally and vocally, and should improve as Jamie continues to work with them and they operate more on the same page. As far as the group’s current musical direction is concerned, Driven seems torn between being heavier-geared rockers and rock’n’roll party band. Hopefully they will develop more focus and identity as they continue to work together and determine what works best for them. I personally miss the originals of this group’s earlier incarnation; I thought they had some powerful and focused original song material. Bassist Josh told me that once the group gets better settled in, they will be working on new original songs to introduce into their show. The ingredients seem to be there; here’s hoping that Driven can rebuild their focus and momentum, and continue to improve as this new line-up continues to perform together. For this night, not a bad show overall, and obviously better than the previous flu-ravaged show I saw in December.

Rusty Reihart of Frayed.

Frayed gets the night started at Peter C’s.

Scott Bush of Frayed.

Frayed delivers their terse brand of original metal at Peter C’s.

Dave Moses of Frayed.

Again, Scott Bush of Frayed.

Again, Dave Moses of Frayed.

Bob Gailey of Frayed.

Once again, the stern lead voice of Frayed, Dave Moses.

Again, Rusty Reihart of Frayed.

Driven’s newest member, former Stix and Stones/Hardly Knew Her drummer Jamie Kmett.

Driven rocks down Peter C’s.

James Musselman of Driven.

Mike Snyder of Driven.

Once again, Driven, mixing it up at Peter C’s.

Josh Michaels of Driven.

Again, James Musselman of Driven.

A crowd gathers on the dance floor at Driven continues their performance.

Again, Jamie Kmett of Driven.

Again, Josh Michaels of Driven.

Again, Driven and their fans at Peter C’s.

Once more, Jamie Kmett of Driven.

Again, James Musselman and Josh Michaels of Driven.

STRONGHOLD @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 2/14/04

The best new band playing in town this weekend that nobody came to see was Pittsburgh’s Stronghold, making their first (and hopefully not last) area appearance at Aldo’s.

Doing the math, though, the lousy turnout wasn’t surprising…New name from out of town, playing at Aldo’s on a Valentine’s Day Saturday night, with Wake Up Screaming and Velveeta both in town. Result: Aldo’s was empty for Stronghold’s first Altoona appearance. And this was despite Stronghold’s resume as being a second stage band at last year’s Rolling Rock Town Fair, and Rolling Rock specials being advertised at Aldo’s in conjunction with their appearance.

Although this was Stronghold’s first Altoona appearance, three of the band’s five members have been here before. Drummer Chris Batton, and brothers Dan (bass) and Dave (guitar) Climo played Aldo’s and pre-City Limits new Sebastiano’s a few years ago with the band Shere Khan. Rounding out Stronghold’s line-up are lead singer Kevin Rasel and lead guitarist Alex Demos.

Once I arrived, in the latter stages of Stronghold’s first set, Stronghold’s audience included two female significant others who traveled in from the ‘Burgh with the band, Aldo, his doorman, Rich the bartender, Dan Miller in the sound booth, and yours truly. I procured a brew and a seat quickly, and observed as Stronghold ended their first set with strong renditions of Dio’s “Rainbow In The Dark” and Iron Maiden’s “The Trooper.” Kevin demonstrated a powerful and rangeful voice on both, and Alex’s rapidfire precision guitar solo work quickly commanded my attention. I only had seen two songs thus far, and there was no crowd in the house. Yet I knew I had made the right choice, and I anxiously awaited the start of Stronghold’s second set.

Stronghold soon kicked off their second set, and triggered a slight bit of controversy with Rich the bartender on their first song. The group started with Megadeth’s “Hangar 18;” but at midsong suddenly shifted into Nickelback’s “Never Again.” (Rich good-naturedly let them hear about that during the next intermission.) The group then broke out an original song (I believe called “Up Down”), before digging into the archives for a song I hadn’t heard in ages – Hardline’s early 90’s melody rocker “Hot Cherie.” Next was Stronghold’s incredible version of Judas Priest’s “Hellion/Electric Eye,” underscored by Chris’ double-kick bass drum pummeling, and featuring scorching dual leads from Alex and Dave. This treatment of the Priest classic had me standing at attention by song’s end, awesome! The group then broke out The Cult’s “Fire Woman,” which triggered the night’s first dance floor action from the two ladies present. The group then continued with a jaw-dropping rendition of Van Halen’s “Everybody Wants Some,” again with Chris and both guitar players going to town. Stronghold then broke into a driving three-song Motley Crue medley featuring “Live Wire,” “Too Young to Fall In Love” and “Looks That Kill.” The group then brought their set to a close with another song not often heard on area stages any more, Russ Ballard/Rainbow’s “Since You’ve Been Gone.”

During the intermission, I spoke with Chris and the Climo brothers, reminiscing Shere Khan’s last visits to the area, talking concerts and more. A handful of folks arrived at Aldo’s as the night progressed, but the room was still largely empty as Stronghold commenced their nightcap set.

Stronghold stepped up the intensity level for this abbreviated final set, resuming action with the Metallica double-shot of “Creeping Death” and “For Whom the Bell Tolls.” The group then launched a Black Sabbath double-shot, crisply executing “Paranoid” and “Children of the Grave.” For me, though, Stronghold saved their best for last, blazing the night home with a stunning version of Queensryche’s “Queen of the Reich.” Singer Kevin again had me picking my jaw up off the floor, as he nailed the high-flying Geoff Tate vocals dead on!

Needless to say, I came away very impressed with Stronghold. I thoroughly enjoyed the group’s setlist of classic metal, and their amazing musicianship in executing it. Alex Demos frequently proved his credentials as a precision shredder on the frets; his solos were clean and fiery. Chris Batton and the Climo brothers combined for steadily busy and thunderous rhythms, and singer Kevin Rasel demonstrated frequent range and ample power and grit.

Alas, it amounted to a bittersweet evening at Aldo’s. I was blown away by Stronghold’s performance; but disappointed that nobody showed up to witness it. Fans of classic metal remember the name Stronghold; and if these guys should get back this direction again, don’t make the mistake of missing them!

Alex Demos of Stronghold.

Kevin Rasel of Stronghold.

Dave Climo of Stronghold.

Stronghold delivers the rock to Aldo’s.

Alex Demos and Dave Climo of Stronghold.

Once again, Stronghold delivers the metal.

Again, Alex Demos of Stronghold.

Chris Batton of Stronghold.

Again, Chris Batton of Stronghold.

Kevin Rasel and Stronghold, rocking four walls at Aldo’s.

Again, Kevin Rasel of Stronghold.

Once again, Stronghold.

One more time, Alex Demos of Stronghold.

One more time, Stronghold.

POPSHOP @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 2/15/04

My weekend finished up at Pellegrine’s, and the latest visit by PopShop.

I was impressed by this band’s party the first time I saw them back before Christmas, as the group generated an upbeat, nonstop party of classic and current hits. This night I would see how PopShop’s party was progressing and evolving.

I arrived shortly into PopShop’s second set, and a good-sized Sunday night crowd populated Pellegrine’s as the group was underway with an 80’s medley. The group fused together Van Halen’s “Jump,” Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ On A Prayer,” INXS’s “What You Need” and Journey’s “Any Way You Want It” into a nonstop rocking groove that had participants moving on Pelly’s dance floor. The lead vocal contingent of Eric Klein and Kelly Daniels blended their talents on the B-52’s “Love Shack,” before the group embarked on several current funk/dance-flavored numbers. PopShop soon shifted into disco mode for the Bee Gees’ “Stayin’ Alive;” and Kelly sang lead on Madonna’s “Material Girl.” As the group then kicked into Kenny Loggins’ “Footloose,” Eric ambled his way onto the dance floor and out through the seated Pelly’s audience, eventually seating himself at a table and singing the song, imbedded in the audience. Kelly then followed with Scandal’s “Goodbye To You,” before both she and Eric dueted on “You’re the One That I Want” from Grease to end the set.

The nightcap set featured more of the same upbeat pop hit mixture; commencing with James’ “Laid,” and continuing with hits from Salt’n’Pepa, No Doubt, Michael Jackson, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Garth Brooks, Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi, Joan Jett, Violent Femmes and more. Pelly’s quickly populated the dance floor once again, and stayed there as the party progressed. The mood was festive and fun, enough so that Eric broke out a camera and began photographing the audience for PopShop’s web site while he sang.

As they did during their first Pellegrine’s visit, PopShop sounded sharp on their hit song mix. The former nucleus of eastern PA-based band The Front; guitarist/keyboardist Dan Franks, bassist Brian Boettger and drummer Jeff Kravitz – along with former He Said She Said singer/guitarist Tom Sweeney – were a tight unit that kept the tempo and pace of the show upbeat and exciting, setting the stage for Eric Klein and former Front frontlady Kelly Daniels to work their respective magic on the Pelly’s crowd. The group maintained a nice balance, alternating lead vocal duties between the two singers, and offering the occasional co-ed duet along the way. PopShop’s presentation was fun, friendly and personable; music delivered with a smile. It was an all-around combination that worked well again this night, evidenced by a happy and satisfied Pellegrine’s audience on and off the dance floor.

Hotly-executed parties like this one guarantee that PopShop’s popularity will continue to grow on the region’s stages. PopShop again proved this night they are a party juggernaut rapidly on the rise.

Eric Klein and PopShop, delivering the party at Pellegrine’s

Kelly Daniels of PopShop.

Again, Kelly Daniels of PopShop.

Tom Sweeney of PopShop.

Eric Klein of PopShop multi-tasking, singing and shooting photos at the same time.

Jeff Kravitz of PopShop.

Tom Sweeney and Kelly Daniels of PopShop.

Eric “e” Klein of PopShop.

Kelly Daniels and Eric Klein of PopShop.

Again, Tom Sweeney of PopShop.

Once again, Kelly Daniels of PopShop.

Eric Klein of PopShop brings the party to the fans.

One more time, Tom Sweeney of PopShop.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: